AACS 2.1 support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Coopervid

Re: AACS 2.1 support

Post by Coopervid »

What? If I start Makemkv it always scans the drive...
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

mike admin wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:28 pm
Do I understand the key points from workflow:
- get the (unsupported) disc
- backup it into "protected whatever" format (iso, files, etc) - you get ~70GB "bundle #1"
- put the disc on a shelf
- the moment disc is supported, decrypt the "protected whatever" into decrypted folder structure (with whatever tool now supports this disc) - this is "bundle #2"
- delete still encrypted "bundle #1" forever
- use some tools (MakeMKV , handbrake or anything) with "bundle #2"

Specifically, am I correct to assume that the protected/encrypted backup lives only until it could be converted into decrypted folder structure, being the most universal "source" format. Right?
There is no real use for the encrypted folder once you decrypted. At least I don't think there is.
Some people like having the whole disc structure rather than save economic stripped MKVs. Like if you want to play it with something that supports menus etc (PDVD?)
Last edited by hernanez on Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm
It scans the drives to see if there is anything loaded, but it doesn't process the disc, e.g hash check etc.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:34 pm
Mike,

you are right.

I still don't get why SamuriHL thinks I'm wrong. Thinking about it I think that I just assumed that the drive is UHD friendly / supported by Libre Drive. Maybe that's his point.
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:52 pm
That method is wrong. Just loading makemkv and doing nothing will in fact do nothing. The disc has to be scanned.
mike admin wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:22 pm
Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:10 pm
Cookbook please...
You have to see the message "Using LibreDrive mode" one way or another.
That msg will be part of the MakeMKV output AFTER a disc has been successfully scanned.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

So what? It can't process the disc since the protection is not supported. You mean I have to try that, it fails and only then I can create a protected ISO. That doesn't make sense.

Therefore: Cook book please
jayper

Post by jayper »

hernanez wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:49 pm
mike admin wrote:
- backup it into "protected whatever" format (iso, files, etc) - you get ~70GB "bundle #1"
- the moment disc is supported, decrypt the "protected whatever" into decrypted folder structure (with whatever tool now supports this disc) - this is "bundle #2"

Specifically, am I correct to assume that the protected/encrypted backup lives only until it could be converted into decrypted folder structure, being the most universal "source" format. Right?
There is no real use for the encrypted folder once you decrypted. At least I don't think there is.
Some people like having the whole disc structure rather than save economic stripped MKVs. Like if you want to play it with something that supports menus etc (PDVD?)
Definitely, with regular BRs, I like to open them in PowerDVD for special features occasionally.
With UHD discs, I will occasionally load up the entire folder structure so that I can watch a movie with Dolby Vision.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:59 pm
If there is an unsupported disc using AACS2.1

Load disc
Start Makemkv (close AnyDVD before, if active?)
Don't do anything further with Makemkv
At this point, the disc must have been scanned by Makemkv & the drive put in 'LibreDrive' mode in order to successfully perform a RAW read of the encrypted data (with the other tool, to decrypt at a later date). Pretty sure this is the part you keep missing & SamuriHL is trying to correct. Could be wrong... wouldn't be the 1st time.
Coopervid wrote:
Create protected backup ISO with either Imgburn or Daemon tools
Wait until any program supports this disc
Load ISO with e.g. VirtualCloneDrive
Process virtual disc from ISO with program that now supports this disc
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

jayper wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:09 pm
Definitely, with regular BRs, I like to open them in PowerDVD for special features occasionally.
With UHD discs, I will occasionally load up the entire folder structure so that I can watch a movie with Dolby Vision.
Oh yeah, good point on DV support in Full discs, forgot about that. There are some players that can do that (Oppo I think is one). You lose that option with mkvs sadly.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Yes, I also do full folders to put it on my M9702 media player and I don't convert to MKV for that reason.

Still need the cook book and I don't mind if you call me idiot and mean this is self-explanatory.
flashback8

Post by flashback8 »

Hi. First off, thanks to Mike for the support! Looking forward to picking up some AACS 2.1 discs now. :) I do have a question about the way that the support works. As I recall, there was a post where Mike simplified the concept of AACS 2.1. It had to do with some frames having alternate versions included, and all the frames being usable by the studios to determine which keys were used to pick up those frames and create rips. (I may have gotten some of that wrong but that's the gist, as I recall.) I'm assuming that there's a "correct" frame and that MakeMKV not only knows how to pick up that frame but also mask how it gets to that point. Am I correct? Just curious.

Thanks again!
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

mike admin wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:46 pm
Being able to specify an ISO image to convert to unprotected folder backup would make my life SO much easier. Alternatively doing the same from an encrypted folder backup would also work for me.

For me, that's correct. It might not be for Teddy as I don't know if he keeps the protected ISO around. For me you've got it exactly.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:48 pm
No, it doesn't enable LibreDrive mode just starting MakeMKV. You have to click on the drive icon and THEN you will see the message in the log window that "LibreDrive enabled". Until then, it won't work. Period.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:55 pm
So what? It can't process the disc since the protection is not supported. You mean I have to try that, it fails and only then I can create a protected ISO. That doesn't make sense.

Therefore: Cook book please
I doesn't make any sense to you, yes. But you MUST enable LibreDrive mode regardless of whether it can decrypt the disc in order for it to disable bus encryption on the drive. Otherwise the protected ISO is pretty near useless.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

d00zah wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:14 pm
Coopervid wrote:
If there is an unsupported disc using AACS2.1

Load disc
Start Makemkv (close AnyDVD before, if active?)
Don't do anything further with Makemkv
At this point, the disc must have been scanned by Makemkv & the drive put in 'LibreDrive' mode in order to successfully perform a RAW read of the encrypted data (with the other tool, to decrypt at a later date). Pretty sure this is the part you keep missing & SamuriHL is trying to correct. Could be wrong... wouldn't be the 1st time.
Coopervid wrote:
Create protected backup ISO with either Imgburn or Daemon tools
Wait until any program supports this disc
Load ISO with e.g. VirtualCloneDrive
Process virtual disc from ISO with program that now supports this disc
Correct, sir. Exactly what I'm trying to get across.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:17 am
Correct, sir. Exactly what I'm trying to get across.
Phew! :o