AACS 2.1 support

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
SamuriHL

Re: AACS 2.1 support

Post by SamuriHL »

hernanez wrote:
SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:10 am
I'll post the exact command I use later. It's something like makemkvcon64 info # where # is the drive number. This will put the drive in libredrive mode until you eject the disc. Which disables bus encryption, allowing you read the raw protected iso. At that point you only need the title key (and whatever magic is used for aacs 2.1 but it seems to work with a proper protected iso) to decrypt it.
That would be great. Thanks.
So what you are doing is sort of like what AnyDVD does if I got it right. Using MakeMKV as a background process.
Sort of. Anydvd only works with friendly drives. Essentially that treats a uhd the same as a regular bluray... more or less. I'm vastly over simplifying here. Makemkv can work with certain real uhd drives as well as uhd friendly drives. LibreDrive uploads firmware code to the drive's memory. One of the things that code does is disable bus encryption. The drive still thinks it supports it but the reality is it forgets to encrypt the contents when someone asks for data. Anyway, this temporary firmware code that gets uploaded stays active in the drive's memory until you eject the disc. By scanning the disc with the info command it enables libredrive mode so that when I use imgburn to create the protected iso the result isn't bus encrypted. Anydvd, with a friendly drive, creates a non bus encrypted protected iso, as well, without libredrive, but for whatever reason it's not working for aacs 2.1 titles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Here are the commands I use to create a non-bus encrypted protected ISO with my NS60 drive:

"C:\program files (x86)\MakeMKV\makemkvcon64.exe" info disc:1
"C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /MODE READ /SRC G: /DEST d:\ISO\[DISC_LABEL].ISO /START /CLOSESUCCESS

Note: My NS60 drive is the SECOND drive in my machine. If you're doing this with one drive, you'd use disc:0 and change the /SRC G: to whatever the windows drive letter of your drive is.

This is what I do with all new, unsupported titles that I buy. Send the log to Mike so that the keys can get added, and then mount the protected ISO and periodically check MakeMKV to see if it's supported. This way, the disc gets touched exactly once and can then go sit on the shelf.
jayper

Post by jayper »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:05 pm
Here are the commands I use to create a non-bus encrypted protected ISO with my NS60 drive:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe" /MODE READ /SRC G: /DEST d:\ISO\[DISC_LABEL].ISO /START /CLOSESUCCESS

Note: My NS60 drive is the SECOND drive in my machine. If you're doing this with one drive, you'd use disc:0 and change the /SRC G: to whatever the windows drive letter of your drive is.

This is what I do with all new, unsupported titles that I buy. Send the log to Mike so that the keys can get added, and then mount the protected ISO and periodically check MakeMKV to see if it's supported. This way, the disc gets touched exactly once and can then go sit on the shelf.
Thanks for posting this... I may give it a try. This thread has been a really good read the past few days - thanks to everyone that has chimed in. As someone that has had to re-rip a healthy amount of discs over the last 8 years or so, for a multitude of reasons, the flexibility of having these two options would be a godsend:
1) ability to open a protected iso directly and create an unprotected folder backup and/or 2) The ability to create an unprotected folder backup from an encrypted folder backup then my method might change.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I agree. Both options would be ideal. I'd love to be able to cut out the middle man of having to mount the protected ISO and just be able to open it in MakeMKV and convert it to a decrypted folder backup. That'd be sweet. If' we're going down into wish territory, the ability to do that from the command line using makemkvcon would ALSO be amazing. The reason for me is that my HTPC is connected to my TV. A lot of times I'll rip discs while watching something. The way I do that is to open a powershell window from my laptop to my HTPC and execute the commands remotely. Which is how I call my protected ISO script, as well. Being able to specify an ISO image to convert to unprotected folder backup would make my life SO much easier. Alternatively doing the same from an encrypted folder backup would also work for me.
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

SamuriHL wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to try it.
Did you test it for AACS 2.1 already? If you have, did you try the iso with the "other" program too?
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

hernanez wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:51 pm
SamuriHL wrote:

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to try it.
Did you test it for AACS 2.1 already? If you have, did you try the iso with the "other" program too?
Yes, I bought Stand By Me yesterday and tried it with that. Works perfectly fine. I'm not sure what you mean when you ask if I've tried the iso with the other program? I confirmed that AnyDVD created protected ISO's throw hash errors, same as what Teddy sees. As far as using the protected ISO made with LibreDrive/ImgBurn with another program, no. AnyDVD doesn't support AACS 2.1 so there'd be no point. Have I used AACS 2.0 protected ISO's created with this method in other programs like AnyDVD before? Sure, all the time. But my goal for this thread is to create something that I can use with MakeMKV to ultimately create an unprotected folder backup. The protected ISO allows that.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

So in a nutshell - correct me if I'm wrong....

If there is an unsupported disc using AACS2.1

Load disc
Start Makemkv (close AnyDVD before, if active?)
Don't do anything further with Makemkv
Create protected backup ISO with either Imgburn or Daemon tools
Wait until any program supports this disc
Load ISO with e.g. VirtualCloneDrive
Process virtual disc from ISO with program that now supports this disc
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

I have already once corrected you for being wrong. This will be the second time now. You don't just "load makemkv and do nothing!" That will do absolutely NOTHING. So no. Read again what I've written several times now. Just loading MakeMKV doesn't do anything.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

So what's wrong? Please elaborate. Too much text in the last posts that adds confusion.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Cookbook please...
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:10 pm
Cookbook please...
Yo have to see the message "Using LibreDrive mode" one way or another.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Can't find this post "Using libre drive"
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

SamuriHL wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:46 pm
Being able to specify an ISO image to convert to unprotected folder backup would make my life SO much easier. Alternatively doing the same from an encrypted folder backup would also work for me.
Do I understand the key points from workflow:
- get the (unsupported) disc
- backup it into "protected whatever" format (iso, files, etc) - you get ~70GB "bundle #1"
- put the disc on a shelf
- the moment disc is supported, decrypt the "protected whatever" into decrypted folder structure (with whatever tool now supports this disc) - this is "bundle #2"
- delete still encrypted "bundle #1" forever
- use some tools (MakeMKV , handbrake or anything) with "bundle #2"

Specifically, am I correct to assume that the protected/encrypted backup lives only until it could be converted into decrypted folder structure, being the most universal "source" format. Right?
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Mike,

you are right.

I still don't get why SamuriHL thinks I'm wrong. Thinking about it I think that I just assumed that the drive is UHD friendly / supported by Libre Drive. Maybe that's his point.
hernanez

Post by hernanez »

Coopervid wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:34 pm
Mike,

you are right.

I still don't get why SamuriHL thinks I'm wrong. Thinking about it I think that I just assumed that the drive is UHD friendly / supported by Libre Drive. Maybe that's his point.
Because the way you want to do it, the disc never gets scanned by MakeMKV first. You need to do that in order to put it into LiberDrive mode.