Zombieland 4K UHD AACS 2.1

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MartyMcNuts

Zombieland 4K UHD AACS 2.1

Post by MartyMcNuts »

Guys,

I heard elsewhere that the Zombieland 4K UHD release contains AACs 2.1 protection. It is not released in Australia until mid November so I am unable to confirm it myself but I'm sure some of you guys will soon enough.

Cheers
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
SamuriHL

Re: Zombieland 4K UHD AACS 2.1

Post by SamuriHL »

If true, there's the counterpart to Stand By Me that Mike warned us would be coming.
rbphelan

Post by rbphelan »

Dump file sent to Mike.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

rbphelan wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 am
Dump file sent to Mike.
Can you confirm that it is AACS 2.1?
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
hansolo

Post by hansolo »

Why would they release AACS2.1 titles in pairs? Where does this information come from? Is it a cost factor?

Moreover, why use v2.1 on catalog titles and not brand new ones? Mind-boggling...
Last edited by hansolo on Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
LG BH16NS55 (w/ WH16NS60 1.02MK) in external enclosure
LG BU40N (1.03MK) in external enclosure
Verbatim #43888 (Pioneer BDR-UD04 FW1.14)
mizu_ger

Post by mizu_ger »

Well I hope this means the Hellboy release will be 2.0
Last edited by mizu_ger on Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbphelan

Post by rbphelan »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:32 am
rbphelan wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:25 am
Dump file sent to Mike.
Can you confirm that it is AACS 2.1?
Yes it is. :(
demon

Post by demon »

Does anyone know why it is that it seems to only be Sony releases with AACS 2.1? I just looked at blu-ray.com to see if there were any commonalities, and noticed they're all Sony Pictures releases.
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

demon wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:38 pm
Does anyone know why it is that it seems to only be Sony releases with AACS 2.1? I just looked at blu-ray.com to see if there were any commonalities, and noticed they're all Sony Pictures releases.
The Sony connection was discussed back when the 1st crop of discs came out:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=15

As to "Why Sony?", one can only speculate, but would guess that they want to protect their content badly enough to bear the process/licensing costs. Take that up with Sony? :)
handcraftedbits

Post by handcraftedbits »

demon wrote:
Does anyone know why it is that it seems to only be Sony releases with AACS 2.1?
They're the only who care enough to use it, apparently.
hansolo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:54 am
Moreover, why use v2.1 on catalog titles and not brand new ones? Mind-boggling...
I remember reading somewhere, but can't find the info, that AACS 2.1 could potentially lead to playback errors on actual Blu-Ray devices (i.e., don't have the required firmware updates, player has never and will never connect to the Internet to get them, hardware is just too old, etc.). So I think they're going with catalog releases to test the waters as to how many people actually get bitten by it. Better to test it on Zombieland instead of the new Spiderman movie in case it doesn't work well on most players. I totally expect Sony to go all out on AACS 2.1 titles if they feel like this trial run has gone well.
st4evr

Post by st4evr »

demon wrote:
d00zah wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:53 pm

Take that up with Sony? :)
Exactly. If you would like a reason, Sony would be your source. Asking in an online forum that obviously has no relation/connection to any of the movie studios (and instead has a bullseye painted on it from movie studios because of what MakeMKV does and is used for) is a long shot, so don't hold your breath for an exact/accurate reason coming from here.

Plus, you have to ask yourself, why would any movie studio jeopardize their content security and what they do to protect their content by openly talking about it?

They are already very much displeased with this cat and mouse game as it is.

EDIT: Additionally, it will also depend on the studio's contract with AACS LA and what they paid/are paying for in regards to AACS LA licenses for the use of AACS protections for their content. And as most Corporate/Enterprise contracts are, those are strictly confidential.
demon

Post by demon »

st4evr wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:02 pm
demon wrote:
d00zah wrote:

Take that up with Sony? :)
Exactly. If you would like a reason, Sony would be your source. Asking in an online forum that obviously has no relation/connection to any of the movie studios (and instead has a bullseye painted on it from movie studios because of what MakeMKV does and is used for) is a long shot, so don't hold your breath for an exact/accurate reason coming from here.

Plus, you have to ask yourself, why would any movie studio jeopardize their content security and what they do to protect their content by openly talking about it?

They are already very much displeased with this cat and mouse game as it is.

EDIT: Additionally, it will also depend on the studio's contract with AACS LA and what they paid/are paying for in regards to AACS LA licenses for the use of AACS protections for their content. And as most Corporate/Enterprise contracts are, those are strictly confidential.
I was just hoping maybe someone knew something that I didn't. 🤷 I'm sure Sony wouldn't tell me jack, and would probably tell me to stop ripping their discs (even though I bought them fair and square).
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

d00zah wrote:

As to "Why Sony?", one can only speculate, but would guess that they want to protect their content badly enough to bear the process/licensing costs. Take that up with Sony? :)
Good luck with that. Sony is one of those companies that does not want to hear from the consumers, no matter what. I have multiple legitimate reasons to contact them but there is no avenue to do so. You could tag them on Twitter, but they do not accept incoming messages.
Examples lately for me to contact them.... Cobra Kai TV series is coming to DVD and Digital HD. Why not Blu-ray?? Swan Princess is coming to Blu-ray and Digital 4K HDR. Why not 4K disc? Easy Rider 4K Disc is coming out in the UK, but so far, on 4K Digital in the U.S. Should I be patient for a U.S. disc release or do I import it? I realize there's time til street date on the latter so I can hope for an announcement.
baronluigi

Post by baronluigi »

demon wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 pm

I was just hoping maybe someone knew something that I didn't. I'm sure Sony wouldn't tell me jack, and would probably tell me to stop ripping their discs (even though I bought them fair and square).
Actually this is just my opinion, but it could probably be because Sony could have taken part on the creation of the protection. Something similar happened back in 2004 (I still remember it), when they released a new copy protection, called ARccOS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARccOS_protection

It was an addition for the CSS protection. Curiously, it could make some DVD unwatchables in certain DVD players.

If I remember correctly, one of the first DVDs with this protection, was RESIDENT EVIL APOCALYPSE.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Does anyone else have a version of Zombieland that won't decrypt? I have the latest version of MakeMKV but it gives me a dump and says "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted". I sent the dump in 10 days ago but haven't heard anything...in the past the discs were usually added within a couple days with no response. Just curious if anyone else has seen this issue.