Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
JavierAlbadalejo

Re: Decryption On The Fly

Post by JavierAlbadalejo »

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 pm
JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:25 pm

Simply, because I want to be able to check the insides of the disc, etc without having to make a full backup which takes space on my drive and isn't as fast as you think it is. I don't want to make 40GBs just for a file I want to check out inside the disc. AnyDVD decrypts the disc and somehow makes me able to go inside the disc, check the STREAM folder, and play any m2ts with no problem, from the disc, without having to rip it. That's what I want; for the things I wanna check out that I don't wanna bother ripping for. Problem is, without decryption, all it does is give 'cannot play file'..
Ok, so you're not following mike's and my replies to this. You CAN do this with MakeMKV. BUT there's a caveat to it. I would use the player that's configured for libmmbd (mpc-hc, vlc, whatever) to open the file from the disc rather than trying to open it from Windows explorer. If the m2ts file is associated with a player that uses libmmbd then of course it'll work from explorer, as well. What will then happen is when the player goes to play the encrypted m2ts file on the disc, it'll use the hooks into MakeMKV through the libmmbd library to do on the fly decryption. No ripping needed. That is the part I think you're missing.
I already have the latest version of MakeMKV, and got the integration parts all ticked, yet it made no difference. But here's where I think the problem lies; I think VLC is the one configured for libmmd (considering it can play my Blu rays without even needing a program because it's got keys, aacs, etc put and stuff).. but even so, I also have tried opening a m2ts with VLC and nothing happened. As for MPC-HC, is at is, haven't installed anything that would allow it to properly play

AnyDVD somehow, magically makes the drive play the disc in Windows Explorer as if it was an already ripped disc onto a drive, thumbnail previews on m2ts and everything, I imagine it is because of what you explained about it using a virtual something. So perhaps if I install whatever I need to apply to MPC-HC it'll fix the problems? MPC-HC is the default I have for m2ts, too. Again, might explain.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:49 pm
I already have the latest version of MakeMKV, and got the integration parts all ticked, yet it made no difference. But here's where I think the problem lies; I think VLC is the one configured for libmmd (considering it can play my Blu rays without even needing a program because it's got keys, aacs, etc put and stuff).. but even so, I also have tried opening a m2ts with VLC and nothing happened. As for MPC-HC, is at is, haven't installed anything that would allow it to properly play
Something doesn't seem right there. As I mentioned to mike I plan on trying this with JRiver MC26 when I get a free minute maybe this weekend. I'll take a look and see if opening files directly allows this to work. It's possible VLC isn't triggering libmmbd when trying to access a file directly but I don't know why that'd be the case.

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:49 pm
AnyDVD somehow, magically makes the drive play the disc in Windows Explorer as if it was an already ripped disc onto a drive, thumbnail previews on m2ts and everything, I imagine it is because of what you explained about it using a virtual something. So perhaps if I install whatever I need to apply to MPC-HC it'll fix the problems? MPC-HC is the default I have for m2ts, too. Again, might explain.
It's not magic, but, yes, it's the kernel mode driver that makes AnyDVD work. And yes, I think you're correct that getting it to work in MPC-HC would allow you to use MakeMKV in the manner in which you're looking for. I haven't yet played with the new integration options in MakeMKV so I'm afraid I'm no help there until I get a chance to try it myself. But I do firmly believe it should work for what you're trying to do.
JavierAlbadalejo

I wanna thank you for your patience and your help. I know what I'm wanting to do is something silly and dumb, but I do like that feature about AnyDVD; and if I could have it with MakeMKV, not only it would save me the amount of money AnyDVD coasts (even if it's a good software) but it'd also means one less software in my computer for what I want to do.

Incidentally, I wanna have that feature AnyDVD does, but with MakeMKV.. or without any program, but I assume MakeMKV is at least needed nonetheless. What I can tell you, personally, is that, opening MakeMKV (I assume that's a necessity for this thing to work anyway) and even opening the BD itself with it, changes nothing to me, with the disc in Explorer. VLC plays the disc, obviously, but because it could before with what I said I applied to it before. But MPC-HC can't open the m2ts within the disc, nor VLC as I tried. I dunno if it's on my end only.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Yea I totally get what you're trying to do. Not silly at all. I'm just not sure why it's not working for you. Full disclosure here I used to be a moderator on the old Slysoft forum so I'm well versed in AnyDVD. :) And I still use it. That being said, MakeMKV is better positioned for UHD support because of mike's amazing work (title key support is insanely fast, AACS 2.1 protection support, BD-Java [aka screen pass] protection support, and now the real time decryption player integration). So I get where you're trying to go, I'm not yet sure how to get you there. LOL Once I have a look I'll see what I can do to help. I'll probably try to set up my laptop with MakeMKV support in JRiver tonight so I can mount protected ISOs from my HTPC for playback. HAHA :D That's so awesome.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

JavierAlbadalejo wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:03 pm
But MPC-HC can't open the m2ts within the disc, nor VLC as I tried. I dunno if it's on my end only.
Do you get them listed on new Integration tab in 1.15?
I think VLC should be able to play individual m2ts. Not sure about mpc-hc.
JavierAlbadalejo

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 pm
Yea I totally get what you're trying to do. Not silly at all. I'm just not sure why it's not working for you. Full disclosure here I used to be a moderator on the old Slysoft forum so I'm well versed in AnyDVD. :) And I still use it. That being said, MakeMKV is better positioned for UHD support because of mike's amazing work (title key support is insanely fast, AACS 2.1 protection support, BD-Java [aka screen pass] protection support, and now the real time decryption player integration). So I get where you're trying to go, I'm not yet sure how to get you there. LOL Once I have a look I'll see what I can do to help. I'll probably try to set up my laptop with MakeMKV support in JRiver tonight so I can mount protected ISOs from my HTPC for playback. HAHA :D That's so awesome.
I do like AnyDVD mainly because of how fast and user friendly it is, I really do, but the price, now that isn't user friendly at all. Considering there's other methods for cheaper or free, like MakeMKV, as much as I love it, it's not a thing I can't afford. And the looksie is much appreciated, I'll keep a watch on this thread.
mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:12 pm
Do you get them listed on new Integration tab in 1.15? I think VLC should be able to play individual m2ts. Not sure about mpc-hc.
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Ok, that was quick and easy. Thanks, mike! Fantastic! Um, I see what's happening though. If you try to open an m2ts file directly, the player is trying to open it directly....meaning it won't decrypt it. Only going through the mpls will it trigger the decryption. This is likely to be expected given how this all works. So, no, I don't think you'll be able to do exactly what you want. Sorry! (To be VERY clear here, this is NOT a MakeMKV limitation. This is simply how libmmbd works).
JavierAlbadalejo

SamuriHL wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:33 pm
Ok, that was quick and easy. Thanks, mike! Fantastic! Um, I see what's happening though. If you try to open an m2ts file directly, the player is trying to open it directly....meaning it won't decrypt it. Only going through the mpls will it trigger the decryption. This is likely to be expected given how this all works. So, no, I don't think you'll be able to do exactly what you want. Sorry! (To be VERY clear here, this is NOT a MakeMKV limitation. This is simply how libmmbd works).
Yeah, I just tried opening an .mlps and it works. It's not exactly what I'd like, but it's better than nothing. With m2ts thumbnails I'm able to see what the content is. Not mlps, but, it's fine, because since I have to use MakeMKV anyway, and MakeMKV likely hints me at what each mlps is, so I can find what I'm lookimng for, anyway.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:18 pm

So that was my question - why do you need decrypted file in windows explorer. And if you want to copy M2TS files from the disc with encryption removed, MakeMKV has full disc backup mode. It will do just that - copy M2TS from disc to folder, optionally decrypted. It would be faster than copy all files from disc with explorer, plus you will get integrity checking in a process.
some good reasons for it are the ability to playback UHD discs with menus in power dvd the latest powerdvd 19 update now works on decrypted backups it used to just show a black screen or or still complain about SGX or not being on intel gpu, not sure if its a BUG or a feature lol. now it works so this would enable that and it could also help finding the correct playlists for UHD because its so hard to play them back even on pcs that meet the spec.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:54 am

some good reasons for it are the ability to playback UHD discs with menus in power dvd the latest powerdvd 19 update now works on decrypted backups it used to just show a black screen or or still complain about SGX or not being on intel gpu, not sure if its a BUG or a feature lol. now it works so this would enable that and it could also help finding the correct playlists for UHD because its so hard to play them back even on pcs that meet the spec.
Does it really? I may have to reinstall it and check that out. Neat.

However, no, it won't help at all with correct playlists on screen pass protection. Why? Because of the way the protection works. The BD-J is run BEFORE AACS is removed to generate the playlist. By removing the encryption, you will change the results of the routine that's used to set the correct playlist that the menu picks. So no, that doesn't help but good thought.
JavierAlbadalejo

I've had no problems playing my few UHD Blu-rays with my drive and VLC.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:07 am

However, no, it won't help at all with correct playlists on screen pass protection. Why? Because of the way the protection works. The BD-J is run BEFORE AACS is removed to generate the playlist. By removing the encryption, you will change the results of the routine that's used to set the correct playlist that the menu picks. So no, that doesn't help but good thought.
Yes the Version 19.0.2403.62 Ultra is working with unecryped UHD backups just double checked.
just hope it stays like that because the dvdfab player has a hard time playing seamless Branching UHDs even off an ssd.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
SamuriHL

Post by SamuriHL »

Neat. I'll have to reinstall it. The last time I tried to use the stupid thing was attempting to get official UHD playback working. I don't even know that I reinstalled it the last time I rebuilt the HTPC. Not that I plan on using it all that often but nice to have the option.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Billycar11 wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:34 am
SamuriHL wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:07 am

Yes the Version 19.0.2403.62 Ultra is working with unecryped UHD backups just double checked.
just hope it stays like that because the dvdfab player has a hard time playing seamless Branching UHDs even off an ssd.
That's really interesting. Does your rig meet all the requirements for UHD disc playback (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-c ... o?id=19144)? Are you playing unencrypted folders? Or ISOs?

My machine absolutely does not meet Cyberlink's requirements, so I haven't upgraded past version 17. However, if version 19 can do unencrypted playback without all the BS hardware requirements, I am going to upgrade. Thanks for sharing any info you can.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

jayper wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:47 am

That's really interesting. Does your rig meet all the requirements for UHD disc playback (https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-c ... o?id=19144)? Are you playing unencrypted folders? Or ISOs?

My machine absolutely does not meet Cyberlink's requirements, so I haven't upgraded past version 17. However, if version 19 can do unencrypted playback without all the BS hardware requirements, I am going to upgrade. Thanks for sharing any info you can.
Well my PC does and does not I was using my 1070ti so it would not work normally unless I use the igpu. I was playing from decrypted folder