Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
nekno

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by nekno »

Albano wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:45 am
nekno wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:07 am

OK, so you want to convert P5 to P8.1 but Apple is using an odd "max_display_mastering_luminance".
Please tell me the way convert P5 to P8 of this file.
This file have not info of Mastering display luminance, Maximum Content Light Level, Maximum Frame-Average Light Le
You can extract the values from the original RPU and see what it's using.

Or maybe quiet_void or RESET_9999 can confirm what happens if you specify 0 for MaxCLL and MaxFALL when editing the L6 data. Some of RESET_9999's tutorial videos show leaving those values at 0 when editing the L6 data with dovi_tool.

Code: Select all

dovi_tool extract-rpu video.hevc
dovi_tool info -i RPU.bin -f 0
That should show the MaxCLL and MaxFALL values already in use. Copy those to your L6.json file, and just set the min display luminance value to 50 and the max display luminance value to 1000 to correct those values.

Then you can follow the remaining steps to edit and inject the RPU from my earlier post.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yeah , I don't edit the L6 metadata when I go from p5 to p8. (unless the metadata is invalid like some of the iTunes web-dl)
Mattl0

Post by Mattl0 »

nekno wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:36 am
jayper wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:53 pm
Is it possible to create BDMV folders or ISO files with Dolby Vision Profile 8 files and have them properly play back on a UHD Disc player, like an Oppo? Or is profile 8 not supported by the BD player spec?

I am asking, as I only have an Nvidia Shield, x700 and an Oppo 203 clone, and from what I have gathered, the Shield does not have accurate coloring for Profile 8 DV.
I don't know about the other players, but the X700 wouldn't play P8 in BDMV format in my testing. It locked up the player with a black screen.

The only DV profile supported by UHD BD is P7, with either FEL or MEL.

The best combo of DV P8 + lossless audio + subtitles + FF/RW support on the X700 is to use tsMuxer to create m2ts files.

I also asked about this a week or so back, and to use BDMV format, we'd need a legitimate EL with the same frame types in the same order as each frame in the BL in order to carry the RPU. P7 doesn't support BL+RPU, it needs BL+EL+RPU.

I haven't seen anyone successfully accomplish that yet.

quietvoid mentioned he might think about adding support for generating an MEL to dovi_tool, which would make P8 or P5 conversions to P7 possible.
That would be great!!
Albano

Post by Albano »

nekno wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:28 pm

You can extract the values from the original RPU and see what it's using.

Or maybe quiet_void or RESET_9999 can confirm what happens if you specify 0 for MaxCLL and MaxFALL when editing the L6 data. Some of RESET_9999's tutorial videos show leaving those values at 0 when editing the L6 data with dovi_tool.

Code: Select all

dovi_tool extract-rpu video.hevc
dovi_tool info -i RPU.bin -f 0
That should show the MaxCLL and MaxFALL values already in use. Copy those to your L6.json file, and just set the min display luminance value to 50 and the max display luminance value to 1000 to correct those values.

Then you can follow the remaining steps to edit and inject the RPU from my earlier post.
This is RPU info of file.
I want to convert this RPU from P5 to P8.1

deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

So I read that for the x700 to play dolby vision m2ts without issues we need to remux it to bluray folder structure and put it in the root folder.

What about non dolby vision movies, i.e. hdr10 movies? Do we need to the same thing? What if the file is not m2ts but remuxed mkv, will the hdr10 and dolby atmos still work on the x700?
Last edited by deadchip12 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mtotheb

Post by mtotheb »

nekno wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:11 pm
You really just want the DTS-HD bitstream passed through, not decoded, right?
Yes
nekno wrote:
Seems likely that the Amlogic DTS-HD decoder takes DTS-HD input but only decodes the lossy DTS core.

That's how, e.g., Plex's DCA decoder works.

Otherwise they would need to be paying for a hardware decoder license.
Which I think they do with this stick. DTS-HD branding/license info is all over the packaging and info material for this stick. Also the DTS-HD source I used didn’t have the lossy core which might explain why DTS:X doesn’t play/bitstream but DTS-HD MA does.
nekno wrote:

But ultimately, you don't want it decoded by the stick, you want it passed through for the soundbar to decode.

Since your soundbar is reporting DTS, seems like the Amlogic is decoding and re-encoding to DTS at worst, or only the DTS core is getting pass through at best.
With the sound settings set to Bitstream it seems to do the right passthrough when the edid supports it else it probably HW decodes that with any source that is “supported”. Not using Bitstream just reencodes everything to Dolby Digital.

I assume you have this plugged into your LG B1 and it's passing audio to the soundbar via eARC? Does the B1 pass lossless audio from an HDMI input out via eARC?

On the Sony A80J/A90J, it supports lossless audio over eARC, but only when played back via internal apps. The Sony OLEDs won't take lossless audio from one HDMI port and pass it out through to the eARC HDMI input. TrueHD audio doesn't play at all and DTS-HD only passes through the DTS core or doesn't play, either. So that may be what's happening here if the B1 behaves the same way.
I have the devices directly connected to the Soundbar bc I know the LG B1 doesn’t passthrough any DTS (so stupid but that’s a another discussion) over eArc.
Shield TV 2017 -> LG DSN10YG Soundbar with SPK8 Rears -> LG B1 OLED
nekno

Post by nekno »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:28 pm
So I read that for the x700 to play dolby vision m2ts without issues we need to remux it to bluray folder structure and put it in the root folder.
If you want to play a DV P7 file that was originally ripped from a UHD BD, then yes, you want to remux back into BDMV format and put the folders at the root of a USB drive.

If you want to play a DV P8 file that was converted from P5 (streaming services) or P7 (UHD BD) then you want to remux the file into a single m2ts file and can place the file anywhere on a USB drive.

It's possible you can also remux DV P8 files into BDMV format in order to preserve chapters. I had this work a while back, but I haven't gotten it to work more recently. It just locks up the X700 with a black screen.

I did some testing as I was trying to figure out what the X700 supports. You can see that here.
deadchip12 wrote:
What about non dolby vision movies, i.e. hdr10 movies? Do we need to the same thing? What if the file is not m2ts but remuxed mkv, will the hdr10 and dolby atmos still work on the x700?
The X700 should play back HDR10 from an mkv file, but I don't think Dolby Atmos is supported. It has been a complaint registered with Sony for years and I don't believe they've done anything to add Atmos support for mkv.
nekno

Post by nekno »

Albano wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:43 pm
This is RPU info of file.
I want to convert this RPU from P5 to P8.1

Yeah, I expected to see values for MaxFALL and MaxCLL and some incorrect values for the max/min display luminance.

That RPU isn't showing it there, but perhaps dovi_tool fixed it on extraction.

Maybe now try just converting that RPU.bin file to P8 with "mode: 3" and see if it works when re-injected.
nekno

Post by nekno »

mtotheb wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:07 pm
DTS-HD branding/license info is all over the packaging and info material for this stick. Also the DTS-HD source I used didn’t have the lossy core which might explain why DTS:X doesn’t play/bitstream but DTS-HD MA does.
Oh, nice. I missed that in the product info. It sounds like you've got it figured out and I'm not really helping. It's just odd that the soundbar would report DTS when DTS-HD is supported.

Maybe this has reached the limits of my knowledge of DTS-HD, but I thought all DTS-HD streams are formatted with a DTS lossy core and lossless extensions; that it's part of the file format. There's such a thing as DTS-HD without a DTS core?
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

nekno wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
If you want to play a DV P7 file that was originally ripped from a UHD BD, then yes, you want to remux back into BDMV format and put the folders at the root of a USB drive.

If you want to play a DV P8 file that was converted from P5 (streaming services) or P7 (UHD BD) then you want to remux the file into a single m2ts file and can place the file anywhere on a USB drive.

It's possible you can also remux DV P8 files into BDMV format in order to preserve chapters. I had this work a while back, but I haven't gotten it to work more recently. It just locks up the X700 with a black screen.

I did some testing as I was trying to figure out what the X700 supports. You can see that here.
deadchip12 wrote:
The X700 should play back HDR10 from an mkv file, but I don't think Dolby Atmos is supported. It has been a complaint registered with Sony for years and I don't believe they've done anything to add Atmos support for mkv.
Thanks for your reply. How do we know which one is DV P7 and which one is DV P8? As for mkv file, can't I just remux it to bmdv format and then the x700 will be able to play it with atmos?
KyleLeMarbe

Post by KyleLeMarbe »

Created some powershell scripts to handle MKV to MP4 with dolby vision. Hoping others can get some value out of them.

https://github.com/KyleLeMarbe/DolbyVisionMuxer
Ichisuke

Post by Ichisuke »

I'm new here, sorry if I ask a question that maybe has already been answered, but I can't find a way to do what I want, so I'm probably not looking at the right styff...
I have a DV MP4 file working fine via USB on my LG oled. Point is I want to add another audio track/different language to it.
How do I do that? Which program can I use to remux the MP4 correctly with the added track...? :(

Thanks to anyone who can help me.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Ichisuke wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:15 pm
I'm new here, sorry if I ask a question that maybe has already been answered, but I can't find a way to do what I want, so I'm probably not looking at the right styff...
I have a DV MP4 file working fine via USB on my LG oled. Point is I want to add another audio track/different language to it.
How do I do that? Which program can I use to remux the MP4 correctly with the added track...? :(

It depends on what you want the resulting filetype to be. If you're looking for a ts, m2ts, ISO, Blu-ray folder you can use TS-Muxer.

If you're looking for an MKV, you should use ffmpeg to convert the mp4 to an mkv and then you can use MKVToolNix to multiplex the new audio track with the MKV you created with ffmpeg.

I move away from MP4s, so I can't recommend anything if you're looking to keep the file as an MP4. Others will need to weigh in.
Last edited by jayper on Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I agree with @jayper ... The easiest solution is txMuxer.
DV MP4 only gives me issues on my C8 internal player and Shield( stutter and audio hiccup).
Ichisuke

Post by Ichisuke »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:15 pm
I agree with @jayper ... The easiest solution is txMuxer.
DV MP4 only gives me issues on my C8 internal player and Shield( stutter and audio hiccup).
jayper wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:33 pm
Ichisuke wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:15 pm

It depends on what you want the resulting filetype to be. If you're looking for a ts, m2ts, ISO, Blu-ray folder you can use TS-Muxer.

If you're looking for an MKV, you should use ffmpeg to convert the mp4 to an mkv and then you can use MKVToolNix to multiplex the new audio track with the MKV you created with ffmpeg.

I move away from MP4s, so I can recommend anything if you're looking to keep the file as an MP4. Others will need to weigh in.
Tsmuxer (latest nightly version) won't open the MP4 file. Don't know why. As said the file is played perfectly fine on the LG. I thought that if I convert the file I'd lose the Dolby Vision? Will it retain the Dolby Vision track if I convert it to mkv with ffmpeg?