Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

duder wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:28 pm
Hi Guys!
Could someone pls tell me what i do wrong when trying to "repack" mkv p8 to mp4 p8 using RESET_9999's DoVi scripts?
I got smth like this
looks like it's trying to convert lossless audio to EAC3 but your file doesnt have lossless audio. I'll have a look.

right now you could just demux your file with mkvextract and then use workflow 1 and input HEVC + EAC3 + SRT
duder

Post by duder »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:55 pm
duder wrote:
Hi Guys!
Could someone pls tell me what i do wrong when trying to "repack" mkv p8 to mp4 p8 using RESET_9999's DoVi scripts?
I got smth like this
looks like it's trying to convert lossless audio to EAC3 but your file doesnt have lossless audio. I'll have a look.

right now you could just demux your file with mkvextract and then use workflow 1 and input HEVC + EAC3 + SRT
thx for a quick response!
i'll will give it a try a little later.

btw when i drop extracted HEVC file into mediainfo it says simple HDR. But after I remuxed it with tsmuxer mediainfo states DoVi.

I was hoping to play it in mp4 with internal TVplayer because the latter is too clumsy with m2ts (troublesome audio track changing and forwarding). And as we know Sony-800m2 in its turn does not give us eac3(
realbabilu

Post by realbabilu »

The Profile 8 dovi usually detected as HDR10 only when extracted using mkvcleaver.
To get detected as Dovi, it need mp4muxer or Dovi_script (that includes mp4muxer, and added srt as txt timed using mp4box), or subler if you have a mac.
Not all internal TV knew how to open the added subtitle inside mp4 (as apple standard).
For me, i still prefer using Dovi_script or mp4muxer alone to get only video and audio track as mp4 file, and leave the subtitle as .SRT extension, the other subtitle as .ASS extension, the other PGS as .SUP file extension, with same name file (diff extension), with nikse subtitle edit free software
Mithrandir

Post by Mithrandir »

I'm trying to convert MKV P5 to TS using DOVI_scripts so I can play it on LG CX.

I select 5 (MODE B) DOVI batch muxer then drag and drop a file.
Audio and video gets converted correctly, but SRT file gets converted to PGS format which is not supported by LG CX.

Is there any workflow which can accomplish what I can want or should I use tsmuxer manually?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Mithrandir wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Audio and video gets converted correctly, but SRT file gets converted to PGS format which is not supported by LG CX.
ts/m2ts container only support pgs subtitles. You can demux all the SRT subtitles with mkvextract and name them the same as the TS file and PLEX will pick it up.
https://www.videohelp.com/software/Inviska-MKV-Extract

A.Movie.2022.DV.ts
A.Movie.2022.DV.ENG.srt
A.Movie.2022.DV.ENG.FORCED.srt
duder

Post by duder »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:55 pm
duder wrote:
Hi Guys!
I got smth like this

Have tried as recommended. Dropped extracted hevc and used workflow 1.
It says smth about "no space" but demuxed files are 9Gb and i have 18Gb free space left on the HDD.
Attachments
DoVi 3.jpg
DoVi 3.jpg (178.41 KiB) Viewed 7164 times
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999
I have a question regarding DoVi.Test.Files
What's a difference between older L1L2 trim tests like this one (https://dropmefiles.com/xNg7P) and newer?
I wonder why old one triggers picture changes with L2 on UBP-X700 in LLDV mode and newer one does not. :shock:

Btw ShieldTV in LLDV mode does nothing with L2 but does with L8.
So... is it possible to convert L2 to L8? :roll:
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@lexyz
I dont know, I dont remember but indeed that file is much larger/longer than the one in my GD.

Btw ShieldTV in LLDV mode does nothing with L2 but does with L8.
So... is it possible to convert L2 to L8?
Wow, so your TV only supports LLDV but still has the newest CMV4.X version of DV. :shock: :shock:
jayper

Post by jayper »

Hi Reset! First of all, thanks for all your time and effort maintaining these tools and educating the forum.

I still like to do some manual scripting and have been writing my own. Stupid question, if I am manually invoking the dovi_tool, which should I use?

dovi_tool.exe or dovi_tool.fix.exe?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Hi @jayper

Use the latest version: dovi_tool.exe
The older version ("fix" in the filename) is only for some itunes webdl with invalid L6 metadata.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm
Tests made on Chromecast with Google TV over both TV-LED and Player-LED modes.
I have played the eight "RPU p8.1/4 L1.L2..._cmv29/cmv40" files.

I can't see any change in picture in L2_trim_chroma_weight, L2_ms_weight, nor any L3 and L8 tests.

Please, can you explain to me what this means? It suposses any problem to Dolby Vision FEL/MEL processing on this device?

Thanks in advance RESET_9999.
Hi, I have made the same tests over the internal player of the Panasonic HZ1000 OLED TV, and it has passed correctly every of them (well, to be honest, my eyes couldn't see any change in picture in a pair or them). So that, the TV supports both CMv2.9 and CMv4.0.

The Chromecast with GoogleTV passes almost all the L1 and L2 tests, but neither the L3 and L8 ones, so it supports CMv2.9 but not the newer v4.0.

With the CCwGTV the tests are the same regardless the DV mode asigned in the Chromecast settings (Standard or Low Latency). I supossed that in TV-LED mode the CCwGTV passes the raw DV source with the original CM version (4.0 or 2.9) to the TV so the TV could process the CMv4.0 correctly, but it doesn't happen.
Last edited by yossSP on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jayper

Post by jayper »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:18 pm
Hi @jayper

Use the latest version: dovi_tool.exe
The older version ("fix" in the filename) is only for some itunes webdl with invalid L6 metadata.
Cheers, thanks so much!
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:36 pm
yossSP wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm
I can't see any change in picture in L2_trim_chroma_weight, L2_ms_weight, nor any L3 and L8 tests.

Please, can you explain to me what this means? It suposses any problem to Dolby Vision FEL/MEL processing on this device?
This is expected and it means the CCwGTV (or your TV, but unlikely as you said it's the same in player-led mode) only supports CM v2.9 Dolby Vision.
So, in real world, it suposses any problem with the DV processing on this device with the UHD rip files made with MakeMKV in Dolby Vision 7.06 FEL/MEL?

This kind of DV files, which kind of CM version use?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:26 pm
the UHD rip files made with MakeMKV in Dolby Vision 7.06 FEL/MEL?
This kind of DV files, which kind of CM version use?
If this is what you are asking, almost all the movies are done in CMV2.9 and I don't understand why because the CMV4.X L1 generation is VERY different than CMV2.9 L1 generation. CMV4.X is supposed to be improved compared to CMV2.9.

CMV4.x vs CMV2.9, same settings, same content:
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/26961
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:59 pm
CMV4.x vs CMV2.9, same settings, same content:
https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/26961
Well well.. is the v2.9 plot from measurements or an actual title's metadata?
As you can see, the minimum average is 10 nits in v4.x.

If you look at most titles nowadays, they also all have 10 nits min average.
It might not mean anything, but it's possible grades are done in v4.x and distribution uses the 2.9 compatible version of the grade.

It would be useful to look at the XML from a CMv4.0 grade that was exported to CMv2.9.