Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Edworld

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Edworld »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:20 pm
Edworld wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:55 pm
I'm getting a black screen after creating ts files with DoviScript 1.7.1 using the batch option and with the ts files my Sony x800m2 freezes.

I also have an error easyaudioencorer: safe_fopen: createfileW failed:2

The movies are 1917 and BTTF, both of them with Dolby Vision and HDR10+ are in a makemkv file

Thanks for the support
Yes, it's a known issue with Single-track dual-layer file.
Use 4-3 instead and make a dual-track dual-layer file.
I also have an error easyaudioencorer: safe_fopen: createfileW failed:2
normal when you encode 7.1 audio with EAE.
you can ignore it but dont close the window before the audio conversion is done.
I ran the tool using 4-3 once with DD+ and once without, and I get no audio with BTTF. The video does play in Dolby Vision.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 11:36 pm
no effect on the shield and C2.

MP4 versions here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/fold ... fx6vRYDEfs
And what if to force LLDV on shield (in dev settings)? :roll:
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Edworld wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:32 am
I ran the tool using 4-3 once with DD+ and once without, and I get no audio with BTTF. The video does play in Dolby Vision.
Your input must have lossless audio(THD or DTS) i think. Also , no need to convert DDP audio for the x800m2.
lexyz wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:45 am
And what if to force LLDV on shield (in dev settings)? :roll:
I looked at this a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find that specific settings. How is it called exactly?
Seraphimon956

Post by Seraphimon956 »

Hi, I have got a question about the behavior of the X700 when using the bdmv mode to play Dolby vision and truehd atmos content. I use tsmuxer (latest nightly) to create a bdmv folder structure from the original ripped UHD disk. Then I put the two folders, BDMV and CERTIFICATE, at the USB drive root of my external HDD. But when I try to play the bdmv folder using the x700 and opening the AVCHD virtual folder (I assume the x700 itself creates it every time in order to open the bdmv folder), only the dolby vision label appear on the right corner of my lg cx. I can confirm that FF/RW (even for +3 hours movies), chapter list, and forced subtitle indeed work as per the Dolby_Vision_Stuff table (this trick also prevents entirely the annoying green/purple bug when reproducing multiple DV m2ts). But the Dolby atmos label does not trigger (I can confirm this by opening the TV info tab on my LG cx), even though the audio is being played regularly and the player reports that the audio track is Dolby truehd (has it been downgraded or only the AC3 core is actually played? Maybe someone can shed some light on this matter, I am so confused :lol: ). The strange fact is that if I try opening the 0000.m2ts file directly, without putting the bdmv folder at the USB drive root, Dolby atmos label and Dolby vision label both show up in the top right corner, although FF/RW is blocked. Furthermore, it seems that the maximum limit for audio tracks and subtitles is 8 when playing m2ts files, even if the latter have been muxed with tsmuxer. So, with ten audio tracks and ten subtitles, only the first eight will be read and the others will be simply ignored by the player (the cycle starts again from subtitle 1 or from audio track 1). I hope someone here can clarify this issue, could be just a bug of the TV not recognizing the atmos track, although I am really not sure about it.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:59 pm
I made some new L1 test files.
LLDV (Bravia XF90)
Shield TV - visible picture adjustments after 1000 nit for all versions P5/P8 old and new
Zidoo Z9X - only P8 works, P5 - no adjustments (forces VS10 and Auto HDR modes tested)
UBP-X700 - this one is extremely interesting! only P8 old works but without any visible changes up to 4000 nit :shock:
I suppose it just do tonemapping to 4k ignoring Target Max PQ value from EDID
In that case some movies indeed will be darker in DV on this player like this https://slow.pics/c/Eyy9YjPX and all the fuss about Sony's dim DV from external sources make sense now

btw could you please make version with MDL and MCLL limited by 1000nit?
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:35 pm
I looked at this a couple of weeks ago and couldn't find that specific settings. How is it called exactly?
Shield / Settings / Device Preferences / Developer options / Default to Low Latency Dolby Vision when available

Anyway LL11 doesnt work on Shield even in LLDV mode
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
chronomac

Post by chronomac »

Started using the DoVi_Scripts tool in earnest this week and I have a question about the audio, for converting Profile 7 MKV rips to Profile 8.

When I run the script, I use option 4 (for Profile 7 MKV input) then 2 (for profile 7 rip to profile 8) and then I drop the file in. Once it reads the file it asks if I want to convert the audio to DDP and I hit N and then N again for editing L5. Using those selections, specifically the one about DDP, will the quality of the original audio track be diminished? I ask because once I converted a full length movie, I checked the old and new files in MediaInfo and while the max bitrates on those audio tracks were the same, the regular bitrate was smaller (from 4,339 kb/s to 64) and the size was smaller (3.62 GB to 54.7 MB). This is a movie with a TrueHD 5.1 track.

I just want to make sure I don't touch the audio much, if at all - I like having a lossless track. The DV conversion seems to work just fine (changing the file to a .ts).
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:11 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:59 pm
I made some new L1 test files.
LLDV (Bravia XF90)
Shield TV - visible picture adjustments after 1000 nit for all versions P5/P8 old and new
Zidoo Z9X - only P8 works, P5 - no adjustments (forces VS10 and Auto HDR modes tested)
UBP-X700 - this one is extremely interesting! only P8 old works but without any visible changes up to 4000 nit :shock:
I suppose it just do tonemapping to 4k ignoring Target Max PQ value from EDID
In that case some movies indeed will be darker in DV on this player like this https://slow.pics/c/Eyy9YjPX and all the fuss about Sony's dim DV from external sources make sense now

btw could you please make version with MDL and MCLL limited by 1000nit?
RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:35 pm
Shield / Settings / Device Preferences / Developer options / Default to Low Latency Dolby Vision when available

Anyway LL11 doesnt work on Shield even in LLDV mode
thanks interesting results.
Did you remux the file to TS? Sometimes my x800m2 gives me "fake" DV with mp4 files.
yep, this is why I sold my Zidoo player. Many times the RPU didn't work at all and it seems to be random.

more test files:

this one test L2 trim passes: https://drive.google.com/file/d/15iySXK ... share_link
This one compares original DV with generated DV. (this is the reason why the latest version of my script now overwrites L2 when it inject XML.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_PkGF9 ... share_link
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chronomac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:32 pm
Started using the DoVi_Scripts tool in earnest this week and I have a question about the audio, for converting Profile 7 MKV rips to Profile 8.

When I run the script, I use option 4 (for Profile 7 MKV input) then 2 (for profile 7 rip to profile 8) and then I drop the file in. Once it reads the file it asks if I want to convert the audio to DDP and I hit N and then N again for editing L5. Using those selections, specifically the one about DDP, will the quality of the original audio track be diminished? I ask because once I converted a full length movie, I checked the old and new files in MediaInfo and while the max bitrates on those audio tracks were the same, the regular bitrate was smaller (from 4,339 kb/s to 64) and the size was smaller (3.62 GB to 54.7 MB). This is a movie with a TrueHD 5.1 track.

I just want to make sure I don't touch the audio much, if at all - I like having a lossless track. The DV conversion seems to work just fine (changing the file to a .ts).
it's because MediaInfo reports the AC3 core bitrate and size of a trueHD track. If you demux it, you will see that the size is truly lossless and the same as the original.

When the script is set to mux to TS container , it automatically add a silent 64kbps core to the TrueHD track for bluray player compatibility.

FYI, you dont have to answer "N" to the DDP and L5 questions. You can just press enter to skip it.
chronomac

Post by chronomac »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:17 pm
chronomac wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:32 pm

it's because MediaInfo reports the AC3 core bitrate and size of a trueHD track. If you demux it, you will see that the size is truly lossless and the same as the original.

When the script is set to mux to TS container , it automatically add a silent 64kbps core to the TrueHD track for bluray player compatibility.

FYI, you dont have to answer "N" to the DDP and L5 questions. You can just press enter to skip it.
That's really good to know (that I'm actually getting a lossless audio track). Thanks!
niallobr

Post by niallobr »

I'd like to also ask an audio related question. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but hey :D

@RESET_9999 is there any way to use your script and the tools provided to convert TrueHD Atmos -> EAC3 Atmos? It seems impossible to change formats and keep the Atmos data with these tools? I've tried the different audio encoding options without success.

It is still great that your script can convert 7.1 TrueHD to 7.1 EAC3, since ffmpeg still can't do more than 6 channels yet. I guess this is the joy of working with non-licensed software :wink:

Thank you very much for your work on the script. It is powerful but also makes things very simple.
Seraphimon956

Post by Seraphimon956 »

Hi, I have got a question about the behavior of the X700 when using the bdmv mode to play Dolby vision and truehd atmos content. I use tsmuxer (latest nightly) to create a bdmv folder structure from the original ripped UHD disk. Then I put the two folders, BDMV and CERTIFICATE, at the USB drive root of my external HDD. But when I try to play the bdmv folder using the x700 and opening the AVCHD virtual folder (I assume the x700 itself creates it every time in order to open the bdmv folder), only the dolby vision label appear on the right corner of my lg cx. I can confirm that FF/RW (even for +3 hours movies), chapter list, and forced subtitle indeed work as per the Dolby_Vision_Stuff table (this trick also prevents entirely the annoying green/purple bug when reproducing multiple DV m2ts). But the Dolby atmos label does not trigger (I can confirm this by opening the TV info tab on my LG cx), even though the audio is being played regularly and the player reports that the audio track is Dolby truehd (has it been downgraded or only the AC3 core is actually played? Maybe someone can shed some light on this matter, I am so confused :lol: ). The strange fact is that if I try opening the 0000.m2ts file directly, without putting the bdmv folder at the USB drive root, Dolby atmos label and Dolby vision label both show up in the top right corner, although FF/RW is blocked. Furthermore, it seems that the maximum limit for audio tracks and subtitles is 8 when playing m2ts files, even if the latter have been muxed with tsmuxer. So, with ten audio tracks and ten subtitles, only the first eight will be read and the others will be simply ignored by the player (the cycle starts again from subtitle 1 or from audio track 1). I hope someone here can clarify this issue, could be just a bug of the TV not recognizing the atmos track, although I am really not sure about it.
I have discovered another strange bug (?). Apparently, when one plays the .m2ts created with tsmuxer, with Dolby vision FEL content (profile 7 double layer), my LG cx does show the label for atmos and dolby vision, but the player itself says that the content is 4k/24p HDR. The same does not apply when you play the bdmv at the root of the USB external drive by pressing the avchd virtual folder; in that case both the player and the TV display the Dolby Vision label. But the problem of the downgrade of the Atmos track remains and now I am pretty sure of it since the difference is audible even by reproducing atmos content with the TV internal speakers: the Atmos track is clearer and slightly louder. I hope someone has fresh info on this problem, I literally searched everywhere but nobody seems to have noticed the atmos downgrade bug.
nekno

Post by nekno »

Seraphimon956 wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:38 pm
I have discovered another strange bug (?). Apparently, when one plays the .m2ts created with tsmuxer, with Dolby vision FEL content (profile 7 double layer), my LG cx does show the label for atmos and dolby vision, but the player itself says that the content is 4k/24p HDR. The same does not apply when you play the bdmv at the root of the USB external drive by pressing the avchd virtual folder; in that case both the player and the TV display the Dolby Vision label. But the problem of the downgrade of the Atmos track remains and now I am pretty sure of it since the difference is audible even by reproducing atmos content with the TV internal speakers: the Atmos track is clearer and slightly louder. I hope someone has fresh info on this problem, I literally searched everywhere but nobody seems to have noticed the atmos downgrade bug.
I don't have a CX to know how audio is treated, but you're expecting the CX to pass the TrueHD audio through to an audio device via eARC? What does the device say it's decoding? My understanding is that the CX does not have a TrueHD decoder to play back the audio on the TV. The Atmos support is limited to an EAC3 decoder. Supported codecs: AC4, AC3 (Dolby Digital), EAC3, HE-AAC, AAC, MP2, MP3, PCM, WMA, apt-X (refer to manual)

I send my video+audio from the X700 through an AVR to a TV, and the AVR plays and decodes and shows the info for TrueHD Atmos when the audio stream is properly muxed with an AC3 core. If you're taking your audio stream from the UHD BD as you say, then you should already have the AC3 core in your audio stream when you remux to BDMV. If you're going through some other intermediate step, you need to first remux your TrueHD stream with an AC3 core before remuxing the DTDL HEVC files and thd+ac3 file to BDMV.

The X700 won't play DV7 from m2ts in my experience, you have to use a BDMV folder from USB. The X700 is reporting HDR instead of DV because it isn't applying DV, it's just playing back the HDR10 BL.

So for m2ts, you'd have to convert DV7 FEL to DV8.1 and lose the benefit of the full EL.

For DV7 MEL/FEL, I use BDMV format for the best playback experience and max quality, and I get TrueHD Atmos audio.

For DV8, I use m2ts format streamed from network or USB and can also get TrueHD Atmos audio.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

niallobr wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:41 am
@RESET_9999 is there any way to use your script and the tools provided to convert TrueHD Atmos -> EAC3 Atmos? It seems impossible to change formats and keep the Atmos data with these tools? I've tried the different audio encoding options without success.
nop i dont think so. If it ever happens it will be from there: https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=184364
the best you can do i think (but never tried) is to take the metadata from an existing DD+ atmos 768kbps track and encode a new 1536kbps DD+ atmos track in DEE + cavernize using the TrueHD and DDP track metadata.
nekno wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 9:33 am
The X700 won't play DV7 from m2ts in my experience, you have to use a BDMV folder from USB. The X700 is reporting HDR instead of DV because it isn't applying DV, it's just playing back the HDR10 BL.
You just have to remux the original m2ts to a new m2ts(or ts) with tsmuxer to get DV. Your new m2ts will have the proper flag:

Code: Select all

Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 63.5 GiB
Duration                                 : 1 h 50 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 82.0 Mb/s
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mb/s

Video #1
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 36
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 227 cd/m2

Video #2
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 6
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

niallobr wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:41 am
I'd like to also ask an audio related question. I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but hey :D

It is still great that your script can convert 7.1 TrueHD to 7.1 EAC3, since ffmpeg still can't do more than 6 channels yet. I guess this is the joy of working with non-licensed software :wink:

Thank you very much for your work on the script. It is powerful but also makes things very simple.
Hi @RESET_9999, it's great to have you here again.

As I said time before in this thread, till now I was using ffmpeg to convert the best multichannel audio track in spanish (my language) with a non supported codec (DTS-HD, TrueHD, DTS, AAC) in my audio chain (Chromecast with Google TV, 2020 OLED TV, 2011 Audio Receiver) to EAC3 5.1 1536kbps, with a result that my ears can't distinguish form the original lossless codec.

Today I have read surprised that your scripts can now convert to EAC3 7.1 1024kbps (as far I could guess you're using Plex modified ffmpeg version).
So I started using your scripts to convert lossless DTS-HD 7.1 audio in spanish to EAC3 7.1 with options menu 6-3-4, and I find one error.

It's needed to change this line to detect tracks in spanish properly:

if "%spanish%"=="YES" set lang=Spanish& set langDG=spa& set lmp4=sp& set lmkv=sp
to:

if "%spanish%"=="YES" set lang=Spanish& set langDG=spa& set lmp4=es& set lmkv=es
After this little correction everything works like a charm and it creates a EAC3 7.1 file in a very very fast way.

Thanks for your efforts, I'll be proud if I have given a little help in your so useful work.
Last edited by yossSP on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 7 times in total.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

I would want to launch a question:
Which conversion from a lossless 7.1 audio track is better? EAC3 5.1@1536kbps or EAC3 7.1@1024kbps.
Could it be really noticiable the loss of quality of the reduced bitrate? I prefer to loose the extra channels if the lack of quality is noticiable.

PS: I'm aware of the limitation of not having dee.exe.
Last edited by yossSP on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.