Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Facakente

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Facakente »

Hi there , I have installed one of nightly master last builds on my firestick 4k and now I get DV when playing a mkv file .

Though when checking color standard output in dev mode in the firestick 4k , i get bt2020_10_hdr10 , when in Disney or Netflix app I get bt2020_10_dovi , which was what I would expect to see also in kodi when playing mkv.

Codec states Dolby vision and my tv gets the flag for DV , however color output in the firestick dev mode looks wrong .

Any thoughts ?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

johnjon94 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:23 pm
Thanks! You said that you don't use Plex for Kodi - what do you generally use to playback Dolby Vision files on Kodi?
I use PlexKodiConnect or a NFS server.
plex_p8_dovi

Post by plex_p8_dovi »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:05 pm
ragico wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:46 pm
I have installed your latest build on my firestick 4k max and the .ts files p5, p8 and p7 do not work anymore.
When I try to open any of them Kodi closes. Still works with mkv.
Before this update everything worked perfectly.
Thanks, I also get the crash for .ts.
I'll look into it later.

I found the issue, it seems I can't convert the RPU from .ts for now.
The arm-v7a release was updated, I'll do the other later.
It should fix the crash but .ts profile 7 won't be converted.
Hello,

Your kodi build makes me think about a plex plugin that would convert, on the fly, dvhe.07.06 BL+EL+RPU mkv remuxes to p8 ts.

Would it be technically possible ?
If it is the case, it would be a great solution for lg [c8 -> c2] oled tvs.

for lg c8 / c9, dual layer p7 mp4 remuxes are the best solution, in particular for FEL titles.
I'm ok to make those when there is effectively EL content but for RPU only titles, on the fly plex conversion would be very handy.
set PLEX=download/install plex server and get the transcoder from the installation folder (you can uninstall it once you got the files)
in the TOOLS_READ_ME.txt (Dolby-Vision-Scripts @RESET_9999)
doesn't imply the plex plugin I suggest, right ?
ragico

Post by ragico »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:39 pm
ragico wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:36 pm
Yes working again but not P7 as you said.
Curious because before, everything was working perfectly, including P7 as I said a few posts before.
I doubt it was actually converting, maybe you were just playing MEL files.
Sorry no. All my P7.ts are from Dovi Fel on purpose. None is from a Mel. And I can assure you that they worked and played perfectly. Unfortunately I did not keep that version.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ragico wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:55 pm
Sorry no. All my P7.ts are from Dovi Fel on purpose. None is from a Mel. And I can assure you that they worked and played perfectly. Unfortunately I did not keep that version.
I don't know but it doesn't add up. I tested a version from the day before and it's also crashing with my test files.
You're welcome to try it: https://mega.nz/file/pZln1IhT#QlMIyPOhW ... 6LidHO1Xqg
This one is the old org.xbmc.kodiDV package.

I don't have the 2023-01-23 build anymore.

Anyways, I have to rework the code so that it works for all files.
This is just temporary.
dwalme

Post by dwalme »

What is the best way to convert .TS files containing Profile 8 Dolby Vision (converted from Profile 7 MEL) to MKV?

I thought I'd just use MKVToolNix and batch up a bunch of them, but the resulting MKVs only show HDR10 with mediainfo.

If it use tsMuxeR to demux the .TS file first and then use MKVToolNix the resulting MKV files preserve Dolby Vision.

Is this the fastest way to go from a .TS container to an MKV container?
ragico

Post by ragico »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 am
ragico wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:55 pm
I don't know but it doesn't add up. I tested a version from the day before and it's also crashing with my test files.
You're welcome to try it: https://mega.nz/file/pZln1IhT#QlMIyPOhW ... 6LidHO1Xqg
This one is the old org.xbmc.kodiDV package.

I don't have the 2023-01-23 build anymore.

Anyways, I have to rework the code so that it works for all files.
This is just temporary.
Tried and it crashes as you said.
Will wait for the code reworked version.
Thanks a lot.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

dwalme wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:56 am
What is the best way to convert .TS files containing Profile 8 Dolby Vision (converted from Profile 7 MEL) to MKV?

I thought I'd just use MKVToolNix and batch up a bunch of them, but the resulting MKVs only show HDR10 with mediainfo.

If it use tsMuxeR to demux the .TS file first and then use MKVToolNix the resulting MKV files preserve Dolby Vision.

Is this the fastest way to go from a .TS container to an MKV container?
MKVToolNix only supports muxing the Dolby Vision config for MP4/MKV (copied from source) and ES (raw bitstream) which is parsed to create the config.
.TS is not supported, you could always make a feature request at the GitLab.

Alternatively, you can try FFmpeg as well.
dwalme

Post by dwalme »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:04 pm
MKVToolNix only supports muxing the Dolby Vision config for MP4/MKV (copied from source) and ES (raw bitstream) which is parsed to create the config.
.TS is not supported, you could always make a feature request at the GitLab.

Alternatively, you can try FFmpeg as well.
FFmpeg did the trick. Thank you.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. MediaInfo reports the correct information, but the files only play in HDR.
DylanValenti

Post by DylanValenti »

Forgive me if this is a dumb question but what does MDL mismatch mean? Is there a way of fixing it? I noticed a lot of the incompatible web-dls on your spreadsheet cite “MDL mismatch”, but a lot of the compatible ones do as well @RESET_9999
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DylanValenti wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:12 am
Forgive me if this is a dumb question but what does MDL mismatch mean? Is there a way of fixing it? I noticed a lot of the incompatible web-dls on your spreadsheet cite “MDL mismatch”, but a lot of the compatible ones do as well @RESET_9999
MDL = mastering display luminance, in other words, this is the monitor brightness they used to grade the movie.

Some are in the "green" section because of the L1 plot comparison that clearly show that they are the same brightness. Why is there MDL mismatch? I dont know but studios are probably stupid, i doubt they did exactly the same grade on two different monitors so one value must be an error. Same goes for Bt2020 vs P3 of the MD, sometimes the same movie have different value depending on the streaming services but they are exactly the same grade.

But the thing is that MDL is defined in L6 metadata which has no effect on the image in DV but its also defined in the "source max PQ" which has a direct impact on the brightness in DV, see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_wopsmdmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56y0svpsTMw

so three options:
1- be 100% safe and never mux web and bd that have a MDL mismatch
2- if L1 plot is close enough, edit "source max pq" to what makes more sense(by looking at the grade brightness) and hope it's accurate.
3- if L1 plot is close enough, leave "source max pq" untouched and hope it's accurate.

I use option 2 FYI.

There are also some MA web-dl that have the first two frames MDL 1000nits but all the other frames have MDL 4000nits (Puss in boots 2 / Tar)
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:03 pm
caelar900 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:57 am
So what's your latest opinion on L1 in real world content on the x700/x800m2. I can see the issues on the test patterns but want to know how much it really affects actual films.I personally have a 5.1.4 atmos setup so dont really wanna sacrifice audio and use the internal player on my cx but if T1 issues are truly causing perceptible issues with DV then maybe the trade off is worthwhile. Are you still personally exclusively using your c8/c2 over the x800m2? Thanks.
since most movies have l2 trim passes, not much difference. The problem seem to be with L1 high max_pq values that have no effect.
What if the movie has only 100 nits or only 600 nits trim pass, would that be a problem?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

powdeau wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:51 pm
What if the movie has only 100 nits or only 600 nits trim pass, would that be a problem?
100nits = AFAIK it's not used in DV playback but it is used with Windows 10 Movies&TV app when tone mapped to SDR. So when the movies only has 100nits trim, its the same has no trims for DV playback.
600nits= definitely has an effect on my C2, in fact, all the trims work together at the same time. I used to think that only one trim was selected but it's not the case at all.
pattern to see what I'm talking about:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgph-I ... share_link
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:52 pm
powdeau wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:51 pm
100nits = AFAIK it's not used in DV playback but it is used with Windows 10 Movies&TV app when tone mapped to SDR. So when the movies only has 100nits trim, its the same has no trims for DV playback.
600nits= definitely has an effect on my C2, in fact, all the trims work together at the same time. I used to think that only one trim was selected but it's not the case at all.
pattern to see what I'm talking about:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wgph-I ... share_link
Thank you, you were right about 600nits trim pass taking an effect.

So I guess if a movie has only 100nits trim pass, it's better to generate new DV metadata with Resolve (if using C1 + x700).

If I convert a HDR10+ to DV, is it possible to additionally add trim passes?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

powdeau wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:43 pm
So I guess if a movie has only 100nits trim pass, it's better to generate new DV metadata with Resolve (if using C1 + x700).
No, the only reason you should generate DV instead of using the official dv source is if the L1 plot and PQ comparison clearly show that they are not the same grade. (speaking of hybrid p8 remux of course)

now if the content has high L1 max_pq values and is "L1 no trim" or "L1 + 100nits trim only", there may be an issue with the x700/x800m2/oppo which seem to have no reaction to higher values but this is has nothing to do with generated DV.
If I convert a HDR10+ to DV, is it possible to additionally add trim passes?
Well not sure why you would want to do that but the dovi_tool has a function that can copy the metadata from one rpu to another but I believe the shots must be the same.

Anyway, i dont recommend converting HDR10plus anymore see my response here:
viewtopic.php?p=131307#p131307
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.