Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
thelittleworm

Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by thelittleworm »

So apparently there's a method to backup UHD ISO's into MP4's that triggers Dolby Vision on an LG or Vizio television app via USB. I made this thread in the hopes we can figure out a way to reconvert this into MKV. The procecure is the following -

1. Make ISO of movie. I have only tested this with Black Panther since that's the only one I own. I will be buying Gladiator this weekend to test out though.

2. Use TS Muxer to open the ISO. Find the correct M2TS file and demux the following files:
A. HEVC1 in 4K (Base layer)
B. HEVC 2 in 1080p (this is the dolby vision enhancement layer)
C. Audio track which you will have to convert to AC3. This is a hard line limitation- you need to use AC3!!!

3. Once you have HEVC1, HEVC2, and the Audio track. Run Dolby Vision MP4Muxer (https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base)
DolbyVision MP4 Muxer only works in Command Prompt so you have to navigate to the corresponding folders where the files are and type

mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file (baselayername.hevc1) --input-file (dvlayername.hevc2) --input-file (audio.ac3) --media-lang eng --output-file (nameofmovie).mp4

*Right now we are limited to only MP4 and AC3 audio. Hoping we figure out an MKV solution.

It sounds like its complicated, but it isn't. The entire process took me an hour to figure out, but once I did it, I sold my Xbox One X, because I'm now using my LG USB to play Dolby Vision MP4's! Hopefully this starts a discussion.
MartyMcNuts

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MartyMcNuts »

@thelittleworm,

Thanks for the info! This sounds promising..

Couldn't you then:

1. Use HDStreamExtractor to extract the ATMOS audio (and subtitles,chapteres if required) from the iso
2. Place your newly created DV mp4 into MKVtoolnix along with the ATMOS audio, subs, chapters etc resulting in an MKV with HD audio and Dolby Vision?

Marty
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

To my understanding its no problem at all to have the DV dual layer inside an mkv. I did this this mkvtoolnix, without error. The resulting mkv had two video streams.

The problem is that there is no player which can play thise back with DV.

//edit:

Okay, now I understand what the muxer is doing. So the muxer is converting the dual layer DV into single layer DV and then putting it inside an mp4 container, right? This is a very important distinction!
Could you please post some mediainfo of your mp4?
If that is actually what its doing then I dont see a problem doing the same for mkv.
MartyMcNuts wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:04 am
@thelittleworm,

Thanks for the info! This sounds promising..

Couldn't you then:

1. Use HDStreamExtractor to extract the ATMOS audio (and subtitles,chapteres if required) from the iso
2. Place your newly created DV mp4 into MKVtoolnix along with the ATMOS audio, subs, chapters etc resulting in an MKV with HD audio and Dolby Vision?

Marty
Just use mkvtoolnix instead. You can remux an UHD BD with it and keep HD audio, chapters and also the DV layer.
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

Is it really creating a single layer DV from the dual layer DV track? If that is the case, the code for doing this available for anyone to use. Could be added into Makemkv, an option to create a single layer DV track. I don't really think it's doing that. The command line options seem to imply there are still separate video tracks in the MP4 file.

Then the question is, what can play back a MKV file with a single layer DV track?

Or even better, if Kodi, or some other player, could combine the tracks on the fly, we could keep both tracks. The beauty of that is you would be able to play back your movies on TV's that support DV and those that don't.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

No, it's still a dual layer stream. It's showing up in MKVToolNix with a different name than the original m2ts's second stream, but it's otherwise the same as far as I can tell. I tried using MKVToolNix to remux the two video streams from the MP4 into an MKV with the original TrueHD/Atmos track, which worked as expected. Everything plays it just like the regular MKV from MakeMKV with a single stream, using the HDR10 video. Except the LG, it says it can't play this type of file, whereas it plays the single stream MKV fine, and the MP4 with dual stream DV. So that's a big drawback of even storing the videos as dual stream MKVs for the time being (although I have no reason to try to play non-DV MKV's directly on the LG...only DV files make sense).
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Also, I've tried converting the TrueHD Atmos stream to DD+/eac3, but haven't been able. The information I saw suggested using XMedia Recode, but it's only converting a few seconds and saying it did it completely. I haven't been able to find any other program that will convert to eac3. I would think eac3to would be able to, but can't figure out the right commands to make it work.
Meister_Proper

Post by Meister_Proper »

olevelo wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:23 pm
No, it's still a dual layer stream. It's showing up in MKVToolNix with a different name than the original m2ts's second stream, but it's otherwise the same as far as I can tell. I tried using MKVToolNix to remux the two video streams from the MP4 into an MKV with the original TrueHD/Atmos track, which worked as expected. Everything plays it just like the regular MKV from MakeMKV with a single stream, using the HDR10 video. Except the LG, it says it can't play this type of file, whereas it plays the single stream MKV fine, and the MP4 with dual stream DV. So that's a big drawback of even storing the videos as dual stream MKVs for the time being (although I have no reason to try to play non-DV MKV's directly on the LG...only DV files make sense).
Thats really weird. Why does the LG have a dual layer DV license in the first place? It doesnt need it at all. Single layer is whats needed because all streaming services use that.
Can you somehow test if the LG really plays DV? It could be that it plays the HDR10 base layer and the DV badge is just a bug.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

I don't know how to really test it other than finding a scene that looks dramatically different in DV versus HDR10. I used Justice League, so if anyone has any idea where there's a difference I can look. I have Spider-Man Homecoming as well.

Doesn't it need the ability to play dual layer for UHD discs? I can't imagine the external blu ray player isn't converting the stream from a dual layer to single layer to send to the tv, just decrypting it. Although that doesn't explain why it can't play the DV layer on the raw m2ts that's decrypted. But it also doesn't play the TrueHD track off of that either, whereas it does in the mkv container.

Incidentally, I tried it all on my FireTV 4k Stick as well, which plays DV streaming, but it also just fell back to regular HDR in both the mp4 and mkv. It doesn't output lossless Atmos anyway though.
archer

Post by archer »

Where am I going wrong?

I'm creating the ISO by way of MakeMKV's backup of the disc to the file system, then using imgburn to create the ISO. Is this the correct method, or does the ISO need to be created with say, DVDFab's UHD Copy? Or is the backup not decrypted, thus the error from ts muxer below?

Using tx muxer, any M2TS file I select returns "Can't detect stream type."
thelittleworm wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 pm
1. Make ISO of movie. I have only tested this with Black Panther since that's the only one I own. I will be buying Gladiator this weekend to test out though.
2. Use TS Muxer to open the ISO. Find the correct M2TS file and demux the following files:
Izzzy

Post by Izzzy »

I've done this and I can't seem to get a whole movie to process. I can for some reason get a ten minute clip to finish and I was able to test it on my vizio p65. The TV sees the dv, so I'm excited. I just can't seem to get a full movie to process. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.?
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

archer wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:02 am
Where am I going wrong?

I'm creating the ISO by way of MakeMKV's backup of the disc to the file system, then using imgburn to create the ISO. Is this the correct method, or does the ISO need to be created with say, DVDFab's UHD Copy? Or is the backup not decrypted, thus the error from ts muxer below?

Using tx muxer, any M2TS file I select returns "Can't detect stream type."
thelittleworm wrote:
Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:37 pm
I didn't make ISOs. I did a folder type backup with makemkv which gives you the folder structure of the disc. Then just used TSMuxer on the main movie m2ts as described in the first post.
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

Izzzy wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:17 am
I've done this and I can't seem to get a whole movie to process. I can for some reason get a ten minute clip to finish and I was able to test it on my vizio p65. The TV sees the dv, so I'm excited. I just can't seem to get a full movie to process. I was just wondering if anyone else is having this problem.?
I had that happen and I couldn't figure out what the problem was after trying it like 5 times with both eac3to and tsmuxer. Then I tried playing the original m2ts and even tho it was 60 GB I realized it only had the first 20 minutes of the movie. Apparently makemkv screwed up the RIP and reported it as done. I haven't tried to re-rip that one yet, but ran the process on another rip just fine.
spl147

Post by spl147 »

So what exactly is the point of this? Re encoding is a non starter for most, as the entire reason for using MakeMKV is no re encoding....loosing lossless audio is another non starter. The mkv container as far as i know does not support dual layer streams.

Not to mention there is no player thats supports dual layer streams, besides one that also plays discs! so aside from re encoding it’s already dead!

If your tv supports eArc and dual layer streams, you are in luck!

I just don’t see the point!

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro
olevelo

Post by olevelo »

It's not re-encoding anything, not sure where you're getting that from. The point is getting Dolby Vision on some devices (LG and Vizio TV's at least, as far as I've seen), albeit without lossless audio. Right now I have a DV tv but I don't have an Atmos receiver yet, so right now there's actually no loss for me. And for folks who use a soundbar or (god forbid) tv speakers, who cares about lossless audio? Obviously this isn't the perfect longterm solution, but it's better than we have right now.

You can say that not having lossless audio is a non-starter, but how is that any more important than not having DV at all?
spl147

Post by spl147 »

olevelo wrote:It's not re-encoding anything, not sure where you're getting that from. The point is getting Dolby Vision on some devices (LG and Vizio TV's at least, as far as I've seen), albeit without lossless audio. Right now I have a DV tv but I don't have an Atmos receiver yet, so right now there's actually no loss for me. And for folks who use a soundbar or (god forbid) tv speakers, who cares about lossless audio? Obviously this isn't the perfect longterm solution, but it's better than we have right now.

You can say that not having lossless audio is a non-starter, but how is that any more important than not having DV at all?
Dv is really not that important to me, not enough to use a different container and loose lossless audio, if i want to watch dv i’ll just put the disc in my oppo, not a fan of the work around

Sent from my iPhone Xs Max using Tapatalk Pro