Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
lexyz

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by lexyz »

Nope, since it cant play p8 correctly
But I have X700
https://i.postimg.cc/gkPS9Vm0/DV-X700.png
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

thanks for testing. x700 lldv looks right
There's no doubt in my mind, the shield is inaccurate when It comes to DV with an HDR10 base layer.
Maybe we should send the pattern to the the Nvidia devs... is there anyone in the beta group here?
Cr4z33

Post by Cr4z33 »

I am not succeding into remuxing the English Dolby Vision video track with another E-AC3 and SUB tracks, meaning it doesn't play in DV.
  1. I first exctracted the main 10 L5 English HEVC, the Italian E-AC3 and the SUB files with tsMuxer GUI.
  • I put then all together with MKVToolNix GUI.
  • I again muxed the just created MKV with MakeMKV.
What am I doing wrong here? :?
Nvidia Shield TV Pro -> DENON AVR-X2200W -> LG OLED65GX6
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

You shouldn't need to put the MKV back through MakeMKV after muxing with MKVToolNix GUI. It's weird that audio or subs would affect how the video track plays. Do you definitely have the latest versions of MakeMKV and MKVToolNix GUI? (because older ones didn't handle DV in the way that is now standard)
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Cr4z33 wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:31 am
  1. I first exctracted the main 10 L5 English HEVC, the Italian E-AC3 and the SUB files with tsMuxer GUI.
It sounds like you extracted just the base-layer (BL). Depending on your workflow and endresult format, you always need to use or process EL in one way or another.
FubbAyH wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:19 am
You shouldn't need to put the MKV back through MakeMKV after muxing with MKVToolNix GUI.
Actually, that would depend on the workflow applied to create a (dual layer) DV mkv.
It is possible to import both, but separate BL and EL into MKVToolnix. MKVToolnix can mux this into a dual track mkv. This intermediate is often used to be able to add/ignore audio and subs. Not further being processed, this result however won't trigger DV when played back. A mediaplayer would just see it as a mkv with a secondary videotrack.
When you import and run the file in MakeMKV however, it will be converted into a single track dual layer profile 7 DV (BL+EL+RPU) mkv. Which will play perfectly, triggering Dolby Vision.

Without using EL in the endresult, of course another way is to extract RPU from EL, convert it to profile 8.1 and inject it back into the BL. Muxing that with MKVToolnix will result in a perfectly playable (single layer) profile 8 DV (BL+RPU) mkv.
Cr4z33

Post by Cr4z33 »

As I wrote it's a layer profile 5. :wink:

Right now I am remuxing the two MKVs (the English DV video track and the Italian E-AC3 and SUB tracks) with MKVToolNix GUI again to see what comes out.
Cr4z33

Post by Cr4z33 »

Nope it keeps displaying with the wrong colors with no DV detected. :?
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Ah, as L5 is written right after main 10, I mistook it for being the encoding level and not DV profile.
Eventhough profile 5 uses 10bit hevc, video is encoded in Dolby Vision's propietary IPTPQc2 color space. Which may be the reason for the wrong colors.
Having no experience with DV profile 5, I do imagine the possibility that Dolby licensed hard- or software is needed for proper playback.
mtotheb

Post by mtotheb »

Has anybody tried the new https://www.mi.com/global/product/xiaomi-tv-stick-4k/

it seems to officially support HD Audio (DTS HD) as well as Dolby Vision. When I receive mine i’ll test if FEL playbacks correctly while also having HD Audio Passthrough.
Shield TV 2017 -> LG DSN10YG Soundbar with SPK8 Rears -> LG B1 OLED
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mtotheb wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:24 pm

it seems to officially support HD Audio (DTS HD) as well as Dolby Vision. When I receive mine i’ll test if FEL playbacks correctly while also having HD Audio Passthrough.
interesting thank's for sharing...

@all
Now that lav filters supports DV p5 and p8, is there any video renderer or player that can use it right now??

I don't really expect madvr to support it since madshi only cares about SDR and his over-priced Envy.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

mtotheb wrote:

Just be aware - if you plan on using this device besides just for testing or strictly DV playback alone or w/e - I've used many Android TV devices over the years - I had to sell/get rid of my Mi Box S because of a wake from sleep issue they refused to acknowledge or fix for years (could not use Google assistant in any manner to wake the device from sleep - even another remote via HDMI-CEC would not work - only the original remote it came with would work to wake the device with a button press from sleep) - and I saw so many small QoL bugs with almost every update it felt - I can't recommended Mi products especially if you have alternatives in your country/price range.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

mtotheb wrote:

Looks like from the article here, https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-t ... 1-support/, it sports an Amlogic SOC. Hopefully like some of the previous Amlogic devices, it'll still have the dual video decoders necessary for FEL playback.
Robert89

Post by Robert89 »

has anyone had this error with dovi tool?

Code: Select all

Error: Condition failed: `self.max_display_mastering_luminance <= MAX_PQ_LUMINANCE` (38528 vs 10000)
jayper

Post by jayper »

Good news! There's been an update to TS-Muxer which now allows the importing of TrueHD tracks directly from MKVs!
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

shawnc22 wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:14 am
Looks like from the article here, https://www.xda-developers.com/xiaomi-t ... 1-support/, it sports an Amlogic SOC. Hopefully like some of the previous Amlogic devices, it'll still have the dual video decoders necessary for FEL playback.
If it is using the AMLOGIC S905Y4 as that article suggests, I found some specs that say that SOC can simultaneously decode 4 x 1080p60 streams, so maybe the one 2160p23.976 stream plus one 1080p23.976 stream required for FEL DV isn't out of question. I would guess that the big problem would be software support, though? I haven't followed the Android player app scene, but are there any Android player apps can that can handle FEL on any device? I'm guessing not otherwise we all would have bought that device, right? :wink: I suppose the built-in player could have unofficial FEL support if there's an engineer at Xiaomi who is a DV enthusiast.