Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
jesper1994

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by jesper1994 »

daddy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:59 am
KoshIreland wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am
Hi. Sorry to ask something already covered in this thread, but I haven't been able to figure out the latest/best info.

Back in Dec 2020, I started using scripts from this thread to convert Dolby Vision UHD discs (Game of Thrones) to DV MP4, but I never finished the process.

What's the best option currently to convert these discs to a DV file that will play on AppleTV with LG C8 — or using LG C8 built-in player?
GoT episodes are in FEL.
On C7, C8, C9, the best option is to make DV dual layers mp4 files (dvhe.07.06) and to play them directly with the LG built-in player.
For each episode, extract BL, EL and audio files with tsmuxer, then mux the mp4 file with mp4muxer.
The result is almost 1.8 TB for 98 files (mp4 + srt files)
Do we still need to add the audio with mp4box or can we use mp4muxer?
daddy

Post by daddy »

jesper1994 wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:20 am
daddy wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:59 am
KoshIreland wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 am
Hi. Sorry to ask something already covered in this thread, but I haven't been able to figure out the latest/best info.

Back in Dec 2020, I started using scripts from this thread to convert Dolby Vision UHD discs (Game of Thrones) to DV MP4, but I never finished the process.

What's the best option currently to convert these discs to a DV file that will play on AppleTV with LG C8 — or using LG C8 built-in player?
GoT episodes are in FEL.
On C7, C8, C9, the best option is to make DV dual layers mp4 files (dvhe.07.06) and to play them directly with the LG built-in player.
For each episode, extract BL, EL and audio files with tsmuxer, then mux the mp4 file with mp4muxer.
The result is almost 1.8 TB for 98 files (mp4 + srt files)
Do we still need to add the audio with mp4box or can we use mp4muxer?
When the audio is in ac3 or eac3 you can mux it directly with the BL and EL with mp4muxer.
When the audio is in dts or dts-hd you have to mux BL and EL with mp4muxer, and then add the audio to the mp4 with mp4box
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

BTW I posted about this elsewhere before but can't remember if I posted it here

In case anyone is unaware, install this Win Store plugin: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/app/9 ... verviewtab

It will allow playback of DV 5 & 8 in mp4 container ***NOT MKV CONTAINER*** Windows 10 & 11 ***FOR STORE APPS ONLY SUCH AS MICROSOFT MOVIES & TV APP - NOT WIN32 APPS*** it appears to be player led DV playback entirely within the given app as the entirety of player + display if that makes any sense (HDR must be on before, display won't kick into DV mode at all, the RPU is processed and video output altered within the app window only)

This is separate from having a Dolby Vision certified computer which has DV plugins/files installed through Dolby Access - for all I know that might be for Profile 7/UHD/ FEL playback on a PC or something but don't have it/a DV certified computer so can't test that

Here's the test file quietvoid posted in mp4 format I used to verify

https://mega.nz/file/hDggyRpJ#1GDdqVWh3 ... l5EKAF716U

If you playback the test file in the Microsoft Movies & TV app without the DV plugin installed, you will see no visual shifts when metadata changes in test file, once the DV plugin is installed the DV metadata be applied - VLC Win Store app doesn't work with DV even with this DV plugin installed, old Plex Win Store app does work with DV when that's installed though
Last edited by staknhalo on Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

This is interesting stuff!
staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:35 pm
it appears to be DV player led playback entirely within the given app (display won't kick into DV mode, the RPU is processed and video output altered by the given Win Store video-playback app itself)
So would it be fair to say that it's basically automatically converting/downgrading the DV source to SDR/HDR10?
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

FubbAyH wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm
staknhalo wrote:
it appears to be DV player led playback entirely within the given app (display won't kick into DV mode, the RPU is processed and video output altered by the given Win Store video-playback app itself)
So would it be fair to say that it's basically automatically converting/downgrading the DV source to SDR/HDR10?
It’s sdr as far as I know.
But better sdr than mad vr from what I’m told.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:53 pm
FubbAyH wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm
staknhalo wrote:
It’s sdr as far as I know.
But better sdr than mad vr from what I’m told.
It puts out HDR brightness/levels (by eye not measurement) when the DV file has an HDR10 base (P8) on my end if that's what you mean? HDR has to be on beforehand on Windows for HDR media/gaming though - even with a TV instead of monitor - it doesn't kick into HDR for you like TVs/TV devices do
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

that is old news.... the dolby extension will allow DV P5 playback for certified DV PC and will fallback in HDR10 or SDR for the non-certified pc..
I tested it a while ago, both the HDR10 and SDR tonemapping sucks.

Also, you need the HEVC extension which isn't free anymore ( thanks Micro$oft)
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:07 pm
that is old news.... the dolby extension will allow DV P5 playback for certified DV PC and will fallback in HDR10 or SDR for the non-certified pc..

But on profile 8 files as confirmed with that test file it's processing and displaying the changes in the DV RPU metadata when playing back - so it's not just 'HDR/SDR only' output on non-certified (mine) PCs, it's the dynamic DV metadata output/DV playback as well for uncertified PCs
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:

But on profile 8 files as confirmed with that test file it's processing and displaying the changes in the DV RPU metadata when playing back - so it's not just 'HDR/SDR only' output on non-certified (mine) PCs, it's the dynamic DV metadata output/DV playback as well for uncertified PCs
wait what ? you are triggering DV from a non-certified DV PC ?
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:17 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:

wait what ? you are triggering DV from a non-certified DV PC ?
yes my pc is all self built not store bought and not DV certified at all - my PC monitor is HDR10 only not DV (my TV though is)

with that dolby vision windows plugin installed rpu changes in dv8 files which that test file demonstrates - display correctly on my computer/computer monitor and playback with the RPU changes applied/displayed/apparent when watching - uninstall the DV plugin and the video plays back without any changes being apparent even though the text in the test video indicates you should be seeing visual changes

profile 5 files also play back in correct colors for me only when that plugin is installed, in HDR brightness levels (again by eye not measurement) and I'm assuming RPU metadata too like p8 but no p5 file to test for RPU that like as with the p8 test file
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:22 pm

yes my pc is self built not store built and not DV certified at all - my PC monitor is HDR10 only not DV (my TV though is)

with that dolby windows plugin installed rpu changes in dv8 files which that test file demonstrates - display correctly on my computer and playback with the RPU changes applied/displayed/apparent - uninstall the DV plugin and the video plays back without any changes being apparent even though the text in the test video indicates you should be seeing changes
I build my PC myself too, not sure what this has to do with this?
You haven't answered my question... Does it trigger DV on your DV TV ?

probably not, so it tonemap DV to HDR10 (or SDR). That's my whole point, the DV to HDR10 (or SDR) tonemapping from the dv extension sucks big time.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:27 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:22 pm

yes my pc is self built not store built and not DV certified at all - my PC monitor is HDR10 only not DV (my TV though is)

with that dolby windows plugin installed rpu changes in dv8 files which that test file demonstrates - display correctly on my computer and playback with the RPU changes applied/displayed/apparent - uninstall the DV plugin and the video plays back without any changes being apparent even though the text in the test video indicates you should be seeing changes
I build my PC myself too, not sure what this has to do with this?
You haven't answered my question... Does it trigger DV on your DV TV ?

probably not, so it tonemap DV to HDR10 (or SDR). That's my whole point, the DV to HDR10 (or SDR) tonemapping from the dv extension sucks big time.
I said it does not trigger DV on the TV when hooked right up to the TV it stays in HDR10 - but the RPU dynamic metadata is still displayed and applied (very apparently) all the same on playback when that plugin is installed - and does not when it isn't - that shouldn't be happening if it was only HDR10/SDR playback - so it is playing back/displaying the DV metadata on my uncertified computer, not just only the underlying base video - that's what I was trying to highlight
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:30 pm
I said it does not trigger DV on the TV when hooked right up to the TV it stays in HDR10 - but the RPU dynamic metadata is still displayed and applied (very apparently) all the same on playback when that plugin is installed - and does not when it isn't - that shouldn't be happening if it was only HDR10/SDR playback - so it is playing back the DV metadata on my uncertified computer not just the underlying base video
yeah, we already knew that when the extension was first available months ago.
I said that the DV to HDR10 (or SDR) tonemapping is off (regardless of the DV metadata).... My x700 (newer firestick TV too) can do exactly the same but the tonemapping is right (well except for the raised black levels)

plus the Windows player doesn't support lossless audio anyway and has incorrect static metadata.
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:30 pm
I said it does not trigger DV on the TV when hooked right up to the TV it stays in HDR10 - but the RPU dynamic metadata is still displayed and applied (very apparently) all the same on playback when that plugin is installed - and does not when it isn't - that shouldn't be happening if it was only HDR10/SDR playback - so it is playing back/displaying the DV metadata on my uncertified computer, not just only the underlying base video - that's what I was trying to highlight
It is interpreting the RPU, as you say, but I do still think it's more accurate to describe this as a "DV to SDR/HDR10 conversion". I don't think it's the same as player-led DV. My understanding is that with player-led DV the TV sends parameters about itself to the player (e.g. its brightness capabilities) and the player feeds that into the magic DV algorithms along with the RPU to produce an output signal specifically tuned for that TV.

With this Windows playback, it's not receiving any parameters from the TV/monitor so it must just be interpreting the RPU in a generic way. Perhaps that's useful, but we should be clear that it's not really the full DV experience.
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

Hi, is it somehow possible to convert profile 8 to profile 5?

I have a file with dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU (and also with HDR10+, which I dont need) and I want to play it on my LG C7.

Thank you very much!