Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

Albano wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:55 pm
Should use RPU from madMeasureHDR (extract from Blu-ray 4K HDR10) or from WEB-DL have Dolby Vision?
DV WEB-DL of course unless the HDR grade is not the same or there is an aspect ratio mismatch (EG. imax vs non-imax).
Idrin

Post by Idrin »

Hey folks.

I've been following this guide to convert a profile 7 Dolby Vision remux mkv to profile 8 for playback on my LG C1. It works, but only for video. There is no audio track in the output file. Am I doing something wrong or is more commands needed for audio as well?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=2970#p96282

Thank you for any input in advance.
Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:59 pm
Albano wrote:
Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:55 pm
Should use RPU from madMeasureHDR (extract from Blu-ray 4K HDR10) or from WEB-DL have Dolby Vision?
DV WEB-DL of course unless the HDR grade is not the same or there is an aspect ratio mismatch (EG. imax vs non-imax).
Could use RPU from WEB-DL or Blu-ray 4K with Blu-ray 1080p SDR to creat a Dolby Vision Remux 1080p file?
nekno

Post by nekno »

Should it be possible to create DV P7 MEL from madVR HDR measurements?

This isn't working for me:
  1. Collect madVR measurements from HDR10 BL
  2. Convert to RPU using dovi_tool
  3. Convert RPU to P7 using dovi_tool editor with the json file set for "mode": 1
  4. Inject RPU into BL using dovi_tool
  5. Demux BL and EL+RPU using dovi_tool
The EL stream cannot be rendered and isn't recognized by tsMuxer in order to be remuxed into BDMV.

So obviously there's more data in an MEL stream than the RPU to make it a "null video stream". Upon reflection, that is obvious.

So I need to keep an "empty" HEVC stream laying around.

If I'm using a standard 2160p BL and need the standard 1/4 size 1080p EL to meet P7 specs, could I just take an MEL from another release, demux the EL from the RPU, trim the EL to the correct length, and then inject whatever RPU I need?

Seems like the LOTR or Hobbit movies would be long enough to trim to size for just about any other movie and are all MEL.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Technically the EL has to be encoded with the same frame types and order as the BL.
There were some attempts here: https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/issues/44

It might be possible to simply "generate" an EL, but I'm not sure how involved the process would be.
I've not analyzed a zero'd out MEL stream yet.
nekno

Post by nekno »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:23 pm
Technically the EL has to be encoded with the same frame types and order as the BL.
There were some attempts here: https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/issues/44

It might be possible to simply "generate" an EL, but I'm not sure how involved the process would be.
I've not analyzed a zero'd out MEL stream yet.
Got it, thanks!

But sheesh, what a giant PITA.

If you can figure a way to reliably identify the frame types of the BL --- since that seems it might be a major obstacle currently --- then generating an EL sounds like it would be the way to go, and a fantastic feature that could solve a lot of compat problems with some players.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

I also wonder if MEL maybe holds more than RPU. ATM I'm busy with a MEL DV movie. Seeing these sizes:

demuxed MEL (holding RPU) hevc stream: 1.66 GB
extracted RPU.bin: 35.3 MB

I wonder if the remaining 1,25 GB would be nothing else than mere placeholder?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ArArdin wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:37 pm
I wonder if the remaining 1,25 GB would be nothing else than mere placeholder?
No.

Properly done MEL should be 69 kbps including the RPU. This usually results in 50-150MB.
Even if the EL is encoded with a higher bitrate, if it's actually MEL there's no difference to the RPU alone.
Coopervid

Post by Coopervid »

Is there any way to make these to 7.06 / Oppo compatible files?
nekno

Post by nekno »

@RESET_9999 --- Thank you for your package of DV tools and videos.

Could you share, what version of madVR and madMeasureHDR is included in Dolby-Vision-Tools.rar?

Where can I download new versions of madMeasureHDR.exe?

I'd like to be able to keep up on the latest tools myself.

madVR 0.92.17 doesn't include madMeasureHDR.exe.

madVRhdrMeasure40.zip doesn't appear to be available from madshi.net at the moment (or anymore?).

The latest is reportedly 1.4.5: http://madshi.net/madVRhdrMeasure145.zip

But that zip file doesn't include madMeasureHDR.exe, either.

madMeasureHDR Optimizer v4.0.2 doesn't include madMeasureHDR with it.

When I attempt to use madMeasureHDR.exe from Dolby-Vision-Tools.rar with the Optimizer app, it opens a popup when I start the work, but then closes immediately, presumably with an error.

When I copy madMeasureHDR.exe from Dolby-Vision-Tools.rar to the madVR folder with 0.92.17 installed, and run madMeasureHDR.exe on the command line, it quits immediately with the error "Could not retrieve IMeasureHDR interface."

When downloading old versions of madMeasureHDR from videohelp.com, the zip files contain the madVR DirectShow filters but no madMeasureHDR.exe.

Where to download madMeasureHDR.exe and why it isn't called madVRhdrMeasure.exe seems to be a well-kept secret.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

nekno wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:59 am
Could you share, what version of madVR and madMeasureHDR is included in Dolby-Vision-Tools.rar?
the version in the package is 113b, the last one before the time-limited build which I don't use. Just click on the install bat. Install lav filters as well if you haven't already.
viewtopic.php?p=117328#p117328
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
we really need a guide for this i know op is not active could you write up a guide or know where one is and i can recommend woodstock to pin it you seem to be one of the go to people on this or collaborate with others like it did.
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Billycar11 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:24 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
we really need a guide for this i know op is not active could you write up a guide or know where one is and i can recommend woodstock to pin it you seem to be one of the go to people on this or collaborate with others like it did.
There's this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26514 but I'm not qualified to know if it is a good starting spot or not.

There's also this post by @yusesope: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=2970#p96282 as mentioned by @RESET_9999 recently.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:17 pm
@all
I was testing some hdr10 patterns converted to DV and look what happen on the Shield/X700/C8 with this P8 pattern : https://slow.pics/c/tnFWN04T (there's definitely something wrong with P8/P7 DV on the shield)

Re-did the FEL test files as well, hopefully, they work better on different devices...
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/fold ... V0E3VVkhiC
Thx for patterns :D
I have a different result with Shield TV, not so ugly as yours. But still worse than HDR10
https://slow.pics/c/taL2k1jx
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

lexyz wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:49 pm
Thx for patterns :D
I have a different result with Shield TV, not so ugly as yours. But still worse than HDR10
https://slow.pics/c/taL2k1jx
interesting...
So it means, on the shield the player-led DV is better than tv-led DV for the colorspace conversion but it has the same blue banding and YCbCr clipping is just horrible on that device.
Did you try your TV internal player?