Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
chros

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:46 pm
chros wrote:
Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:30 pm
I'm not sure what you try to do is correct (injecting p5 RPU into hdr10 streams), and I don't even mean the color issue: it would be correct, if they would use the same mastering process for the streaming and the UHD-BD version. But I think that's not the case.
And if the UHD-BD is created in hdr10 (or hdr10+ recently) in mind, then the whole movie is graded with a static curve and the dynamic p5 rpu will modify the look the wrong way.
I think most movies are graded in single deliverable HDR workflow(DV or hdr10+ or both) and HDR10/SDR are just derived(trim pass) from the HDR master. so the static BL is the same, thats why it works (perfect brightness match with p5)...
Theaters get a different grade and that make sense because of the lower luminance of PJ. But 1 grade for streaming and 1 other grade for bluray releases? sounds like a waste of time and money when you can do it in just 1 grade.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhxORqncgJE
Well, good question. But what's the point of releasing those titles from the same studio (e.g. Disney) in hdr10 then? The only thing I can think of is licensing fees, but ... seriously? :)
Don't get me wrong, it the result is looking better, then why not use it, we don't have a clue how it should look anyway :)

Thanks, that was an interesting video. Here's a good video from a french colorist, talks about DoVi workflow, manual SDR grading, fake HDR, and the end (from ~48 minutes) is also really interesting :) (He has the same clips graded in various formats on his website lelabodejay.com)
chros wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:43 am
Firestick 4k + patched Kodi ... And indeed there's no banding/posterization, so my theory was wrong: Firestick 4k also triggers tv-led DoVi with our 2018 LG.
To add another variable into the mix :)
We know now that Firestick also triggers TV-Led Dovi with 2018 LGs, but the whole image is noticably darker, e.g. compared to internal apps.
Here's the profile 8.1 version of Spears's black clipping DoVi pattern, so I fired it up on FIrestick and Oppo as well (Plex didn't recognised it, dunno how that works):
- Oppo: 72 barely flashing
- Firestick: 81 barely flashing!!!

But it's not just the low end that is affected, the whole image seems to be a bit darker, it's like double-expanded is set in madvr ...

So, guys, if you like, you can also try this out (in a pitch black room) with your display and other devices to see how they behave.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chros wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:19 am
Well, good question. But what's the point of releasing those titles from the same studio (e.g. Disney) in hdr10 then? The only thing I can think of is licensing fees, but ... seriously? :)
Don't get me wrong, it the result is looking better, then why not use it, we don't have a clue how it should look anyway :)
Thanks, that was an interesting video. Here's a good video from a french colorist, talks about DoVi workflow, manual SDR grading, fake HDR, and the end (from ~48 minutes) is also really interesting :) (He has the same clips graded in various formats on his website lelabodejay.com)
thank you, yes i know this guy, I'm French too :D I used his clip for testing quietvoid rpu injector and got odd results just like the appleTV+ content. The P5 clip has strange lines (ringing?) in the blue.
I talked about it here:
viewtopic.php?p=111029#p111029
viewtopic.php?p=111042#p111042
chros wrote:
Firestick 4k + patched Kodi ... And indeed there's no banding/posterization, so my theory was wrong: Firestick 4k also triggers tv-led DoVi with our 2018 LG.
We know now that Firestick also triggers TV-Led Dovi with 2018 LGs, but the whole image is noticably darker, e.g. compared to internal apps.
Here's the profile 8.1 version of Spears's black clipping DoVi pattern, so I fired it up on FIrestick and Oppo as well (Plex didn't recognised it, dunno how that works):

But it's not just the low end that is affected, the whole image seems to be a bit darker, it's like double-expanded is set in madvr ...

So, guys, if you like, you can also try this out (in a pitch black room) with your display and other devices to see how they behave.
that's me @TbeRw01 on bluray forum :)
I also compared my devices with this pattern and the x700, the Shield, the Ugoos, and my C8 internal app all start crushing black at the same 70-72. I'm reading comments about the same issue with the newer CX and C1 TV so I guess it's a Dolby problem. I wonder if it's also crushed on Sony and Panasonic TV, of course as you said, you need to have a pitch-black room.

Using the same clip in HDR10 I can see flashing 65-66 on all my device. hows HDR10 on the firestick?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

HDR10 on the Firestick is fine, the near black issue is just a problem for Dolby Vision.
I can't really remember but I think mine only crushed black below 83 when using brightness 49, but contrast 99 should be a lot better.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:47 pm
contrast 99 should be a lot better.
yes, that works very well to fix the raised black I was getting with DV content. In the past months, I've been enjoying DV on my C8 more than ever before, and it doesnt affect the shadow details nor the colors at all... Netflix ending credits are now truly black instead of grey. It even works for Atomic Blonde BD which I used to find unwatchable in DV.
ragico wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:11 pm
Someone here knows if Panasonic oled GZ 2004 year 2019 has got TV led?
Thanks

since you also have the UGOOS device. Take a look in the DV settings page, if you have 3 options ( tv-led / player-led / dv off) then your TV supports tv-led DV. If you only have two options, then it doesnt.
and the LLDV bug is as bad as the x700 on this device.
ragico

Post by ragico »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 5:52 pm
quietvoid wrote:
contrast 99 should be a lot better.
yes, that works very well to fix the raised black I was getting with DV content. In the past months, I've been enjoying DV on my C8 more than ever before, and it doesnt affect the shadow details nor the colors at all... Netflix ending credits are now truly black instead of grey. It even works for Atomic Blonde BD which I used to find unwatchable in DV.
ragico wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:11 pm
Someone here knows if Panasonic oled GZ 2004 year 2019 has got TV led?
Thanks

since you also have the UGOOS device. Take a look in the DV settings page, if you have 3 options ( tv-led / player-led / dv off) then your TV supports tv-led DV. If you only have two options, then it doesnt.
and the LLDV bug is as bad as the x700 on this device.
Only 2 options. Pity
On the Lg CX I have 3 options and I choose the first option.
The LLDV bug affects only the player-led or also the tv-led on the ugoos?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm
Only 2 options. Pity
lldv = player-led , it's just another way of naming it.
so yeah tv-led(RGB 8bit tunneling) on the ugoos is accurate.
ragico

Post by ragico »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:35 pm
ragico wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:24 pm
Only 2 options. Pity
lldv = player-led , it's just another way of naming it.
so yeah tv-led(RGB 8bit tunneling) on the ugoos is accurate.
Thanks for that clarification.
I like the Ugoos even if it has its own problems.
I am not aware of a device without its own problems
chros

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 2:20 pm
thank you, yes i know this guy, I'm French too :D ... hat's me @TbeRw01 on bluray forum :)
Nice, so you could listen the undubbed version :) And thanks for the profile8 version of spears's sample and all the other testing you guys have done!
RESET_9999 wrote:
chros wrote:

I also compared my devices with this pattern and the x700, the Shield, the Ugoos, and my C8 internal app all start crushing black at the same 70-72.
Thanks for this, so it's the firestick ... :(
And I also managed to check this via Plex (I had to separate categories), and that's also fine (~>=72 is blinking).
RESET_9999 wrote:
Using the same clip in HDR10 I can see flashing 65-66 on all my device. hows HDR10 on the firestick?
Just checked and that's fine in normal mode (PC mode clips black, only >=76 is visible, but that happens with all the sources).
quietvoid wrote:
HDR10 on the Firestick is fine, the near black issue is just a problem for Dolby Vision.
I can't really remember but I think mine only crushed black below 83 when using brightness 49, but contrast 99 should be a lot better.
Can you check with the profile8 clip with default settings? (brightness 50, contrast 100, oled light 50)
The Pulsar 0.005 nits rectangle is also clipped at the middle top, I hope you will get the same ~70 result, that would mean a firestick setting is responsible for my 81 result ... :)
RESET_9999 wrote:
I'm reading comments about the same issue with the newer CX and C1 TV so I guess it's a Dolby problem. I wonder if it's also crushed on Sony and Panasonic TV, of course as you said, you need to have a pitch-black room.
I just asked couple of owners over doom9, so we will know more soon.
RESET_9999 wrote:
contrast 99 ... yes, that works very well to fix the raised black I was getting with DV content. ... and it doesnt affect the shadow details nor the colors at all... Netflix ending credits are now truly black instead of grey. It even works for Atomic Blonde BD which I used to find unwatchable in DV.
Unfortunately, it does not, it produces hue shift.
But the near black glowing (if you have it) can be eliminated with custom 1dlut!
RESET_9999 wrote:
In the past months, I've been enjoying DV on my C8 more than ever before
That's interesting you mentioned this, because I started to enjoy HDR10 on our 2018 LG in the last couple of weeks, since madvr added 3dlut support for hdr10 output! :) You can read it from here (only couple of pages discussion): basically we got a new TV for hdr10! :D
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

quietvoid wrote:
When I play dolby vision mp4 films on an external hdd connected to my oled, in near black areas I can almost see a strange line pattern continuously run diagonally. Very weird. Do you see the same thing?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:24 pm
When I play dolby vision mp4 films on an external hdd connected to my oled, in near black areas I can almost see a strange line pattern continuously run diagonally. Very weird. Do you see the same thing?
Never seen anything like what you're describing.
glc650

Post by glc650 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
I also compared my devices with this pattern and the x700, the Shield, the Ugoos, and my C8 internal app all start crushing black at the same 70-72. I'm reading comments about the same issue with the newer CX and C1 TV so I guess it's a Dolby problem. I wonder if it's also crushed on Sony and Panasonic TV, of course as you said, you need to have a pitch-black room.
I have a Sony XBR-75Z9F which does LLDV only. What do I need to test for this? I have a M800X2, Apple TV 4K (gen 2) and PC with madVR (HDR10 only obviously, plus the apps on the TV to use as sources.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

chros wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:30 pm

Unfortunately, it does not, it produces hue shift.
But the near black glowing (if you have it) can be eliminated with custom 1dlut!

That's interesting you mentioned this, because I started to enjoy HDR10 on our 2018 LG in the last couple of weeks, since madvr added 3dlut support for hdr10 output! :) You can read it from here (only couple of pages discussion): basically we got a new TV for hdr10! :D
very interesting , thank you for sharing.

glc650 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:06 am
I have a Sony XBR-75Z9F which does LLDV only. What do I need to test for this? I have a M800X2, Apple TV 4K (gen 2) and PC with madVR (HDR10 only obviously, plus the apps on the TV to use as sources.
You have to check the pattern in the complete dark. Let your TV warm up for a couple of minutes and also let your eyes adapt to the darkness.

64 is completely black and you won't see it flashing unless you have raised black levels. You should see flashing starting at 66 for ideal shadow details. 65 is almost impossible to notice.
The problem with the C8 ( and CX/C1 from what I can read), is that it starts crushing black at 72ish in DV.
HDR10/SDR levels are correct, I can see 66 flashing.

@lexyz and @ragico . How does it look on your TVs?

dv p8 / p5 and sdr patterns:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lSDM0X ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZfChHk ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jwDN_E ... sp=sharing
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:53 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:24 pm
Never seen anything like what you're describing.
Very hard to describe what I see. It can't be captured on camera either. Need to watch the oled in a pitch dark room and then you will see such pattern. I have owned the c7, c8, and c9; all have this issue. It drives me nuts. I remember one guy on avsforum posted about the same thing a while ago but most people didn't notice it on their sets so they ignored his post.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:36 am
Since you own a sony x700 bluray player, may I ask whether the usb port is 2.0 or 3.0? If I want to play movies on an hdd connected to that usb port, does the hdd need to be formatted as fat32 and need to be usb 2.0?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:12 pm
Since you own a sony x700 bluray player, may I ask whether the usb port is 2.0 or 3.0? If I want to play movies on an hdd connected to that usb port, does the hdd need to be formatted as fat32?
usb 2.0 but more than fast enough. NTFS works.
quietvoid wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:53 am
I think I might have found one difference with appleTV profile 5 web-dls that could explain the color difference we noticed here .
I looked at the mediainfo of a couple of the appleTV p5 rip and they are all missing the color range flag FULL . this includes even the rip from itunes, not only the appleTV+ original. you can tell they are from itunes because they are also cropped (often overcropped). I think something is not right with either the way they rip appletv or the way Appletv files are encoded.