Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
quietvoid

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:16 pm
wow, so they removed the ability to play properly DV cropped content on the new Firestick, that is a really stupid move since everything on iTunes or Prime is cropped.
The last time I checked , HULU content is not cropped as well. (they have ridiculously low bitrate though )
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll bother switching to the 2018 model though. I only noticed the grey bars with fades to black.

Anyways, it made me create a cropped test sample for the important metadata: https://mega.nz/file/8YsRRKJa#_g_vX2voc ... raveYPpiIA
With this everything seems to work fine otherwise.

credits to FF.de for the original HDR10+ test sample, from which I used the different L1 metadata.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:45 pm
Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll bother switching to the 2018 model though. I only noticed the grey bars with fades to black.
haha, trust me you will.
Having this exact problem with my x700, I just can't stand the grey black bars(especially the 1600px content). I even prefer my Shield with the red push for p8 cropped content(no red push with p5).
quietvoid wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:45 pm
Anyways, it made me create a cropped test sample for the important metadata: https://mega.nz/file/8YsRRKJa#_g_vX2voc ... raveYPpiIA
With this everything seems to work fine otherwise.

credits to FF.de for the original HDR10+ test sample, from which I used the different L1 metadata.
interesting thanks... will try on my x700.
that sample has very small black bars though
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

That's a great sample @quietvoid. It's very interesting to see examples of all the DV adjustments, because until now I've always been a little bit vague about exactly what the DV metadata can do.
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:12 am
FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 am
Would you be able to try one of the titles where the FEL is obvious (e.g. Power Rangers or Total Recall) to see if it is being used?
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:23 am
that's because I did those samples with tsmuxer and it breaks something in the RPU when you split the file. I didn't know about that back then.
As @FubbAyH said, the ending credits of Power Ranger is a better way to verify if FEL is processed.
The credits are grey like HDR10, so nothing new.
And what about the Fire TV Cube (2019)? The Amlogic S922 SoC is able to decoding FEL.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

NiCE77 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:10 am
And what about the Fire TV Cube (2019)? The Amlogic S922 SoC is able to decoding FEL.
I don't know, I don't own a FireTV Cube.
ragico

Post by ragico »

@quietvoid

Thanks for your Great work on Dovi.
Have you compiled an update Kodi version for the Firestick 4k (original not the Max)?
I am using the version available in Fandango's Matrix 19 Final
juzer7

Post by juzer7 »

Guys, question.

I'm re-encoding some of my UHD Remuxes. I wanto to inject then RPU into re-encoded BL.
This way I can easily create MKV files with Dolby Vision Profile 8. Playing flawlessly on my Shield 2019 Pro.

But what if I wanted to create a file that I could play directly on different TVs? I just used mp4muxer to create DoVi Profile 8 mp4. However it plays well on my Shield but not on my LG OLED B9. (which I did not expcted as this TV is able to play MP4 Profile 7)

So what container and DoVi Profile should I choose if I want to create a file being able to be playd directly on TVs? At leat on LG OLED we are using in our family?
MP4? TS? M2TS? What profile?
I want this file to be able to be played on TV, Shield and Android mobile devices. If there is no DoVi compatibility then it would be good if the file is played as HDR. That's why I think the only format BL+RPU with HDR compatibility is Profile 8?

Maybe I can mux them into Profile 7 with some "fake" EL layer? :lol: Profile 7 MP4s play fine on my LG OLED and Android mobile devices.

Thx for help.
Last edited by juzer7 on Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:39 pm
Have you compiled an update Kodi version for the Firestick 4k (original not the Max)?
I am using the version available in Fandango's Matrix 19 Final
I build my own but it's running Kodi 20 Nexus, and doesn't include all binary addons.
You can find it here: https://mega.nz/file/4BVTTAoI#KBpPwfQZ1 ... cjlh62Bh-s
The code branch is this https://github.com/quietvoid/xbmc/tree/ ... oska_build

I think Maven's builds might be better for you though, from here: https://www.kodinerds.net/index.php/Thr ... ür-Android
Both are probably a different package name.
ragico

Post by ragico »

Thanks
I downloaded your Nexus version but have problems for sideloading in the Firestick. Have you any suggestion?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:57 pm
Thanks
I downloaded your Nexus version but have problems for sideloading in the Firestick. Have you any suggestion?
Not sure I can help you with that.
I always install mine through ADB, like this:

Code: Select all

adb install -r kodi-20-Nexus-dovi-armeabi-v7a-release-2021-10-07.apk
The -r flag is to overwrite an existing install, I think.
juzer7

Post by juzer7 »

juzer7 wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:48 pm

I want this file to be able to be played on TV, Shield and Android mobile devices. If there is no DoVi compatibility then it would be good if the file is played as HDR. That's why I think the only format BL+RPU with HDR compatibility is Profile 8?
Ok. So I tried
mp4muxer --overwrite --dv-profile 5
and the file reporst as
HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.05.06, BL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

MP4 works perfectly on LG OLED and Shield 2019 Pro.

If I turn off DoVi in my Shield the file plays as HDR. I though Profile 8 is not HDR compatible? Anyway. This is exactly what I wanted.

Question 1:
What other TVs/sticks will I be albe to play this file on as Dolby Vision? Fire Stick 4K? Sony TV?

Question 2:
Is there any mobile device (Android, iOS) capable of displaying mp4 DoVi Profile 5 as Dolby Vision?

Cheers
ragico

Post by ragico »

Thanks @quietvoid

Please can you give a more detailed step by step guide on how to use it?
Sorry for my ignorance, I never heard of adb and dont know what to do.
Thanks.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:21 pm
Thanks @quietvoid

Thanks.
The basics of it are to get the tools from here: https://developer.android.com/studio/re ... form-tools
You then need to enable the ADB debugging on the device, it's in the developer options.
Then you can connect with adb by command line with adb connect IP:port.
And then you should be able to install the app.

There are many tutorials on the usage of ADB.
chros

Post by chros »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:52 pm
I build my own but it's running Kodi 20 Nexus, and doesn't include all binary addons.
You can find it here: https://mega.nz/file/4BVTTAoI#KBpPwfQZ1 ... cjlh62Bh-s
The code branch is this https://github.com/quietvoid/xbmc/tree/ ... oska_build
Thanks for the new build!
(Although Kodi is unusable for me on Firestick4k (ethernet cable, not wifi) for whatever reason: low read rate ... message, and it just stalls for a long time...)
ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:21 pm
I just upgraded his build with adbLink easily, just installing the new apk again.
ragico

Post by ragico »

@chros
Many thanks it was easy as you said.