Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
staknhalo

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by staknhalo »

DiscoD wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:30 pm
chromecast with google tv...
ding ding ding

that's my guess

wanted to stay with the chromecast for fel as main player but had to go back to the shield because too many qol issues with it compared to shield including dolby vision playback, for me it would skip continuously in dv mode with plex but only that device not the hisense tv or shield i have on the same files with plex, no matter if in mp4 or mkv like you

edit: i have a tivo stream 4k that can do dolby vision fel too i confirmed myself here a while ago but the device was too underpowered to even consider as my main player (has to run philips hue light entertainment zone locally on device while game streaming or watching video, which tivo couldn't do both) so i haven't tested it in a while
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

DiscoD wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:30 pm
...because on a couple of my encodes (all with the exact same encode settings) i have been getting an issue...
Don't know if you still have the sourcefiles, but maybe it's worth to check whether a new extract & inject RPU and remux with latest versions of dovitool and mkvtoolnix solves it.
Jose1001

Post by Jose1001 »

Hello colleagues, first of all I apologize for my way of expressing myself because I am Spanish, I do not speak English and I use a translator.
I've been using DoVi_Scripts 1.2.1 for a couple of months, making Bluray Disc dvhe08 profiles and dvhe05 profiles without problems, with this scpript it's very easy.
But my problem is that I don't know how to extract the dolvi vision layer from a dvhe08 profile. I open the script, hit option "6"(Reader/Extractor/Remover/Editor/Audio_Converter and more), hit option "1"(Read/extract RPU metadata from SL mkv/ts/m2ts/mp4/hevc/rpu files ), then I drag the hevc file and then it asks me: Enter which frame you want to read and press enter... and this is where I don't know how to continue.
Where do I get the frames that I have to enter?
Thank you very much and greetings.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Jose1001 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:59 pm
This is not important if all you want is to extract the RPU. Just enter any number. I'll add an option to skip that in the next version.
By the way, you should update your version of the scripts :)
we are now at 1.3.1
realbabilu

Post by realbabilu »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:37 pm
Jose1001 wrote:
This is not important if all you want is to extract the RPU. Just enter any number. I'll add an option to skip that in the next version.
we are now at 1.3.1
maybe you can add HDR10 to DV also for mp4remuxed already, split stream to have hevc DV, and mp4remuxed again or not.
I must mp4demuxed or remuxed all to mkv first to get madVR in 1.3.0. but it is ok.
anyway it;s nice script you have. thank you.

just for curiousity: what is --dv-bl-compatible-id 1 or --dv-bl-compatible-id 2 for --dv-profile 8
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

realbabilu wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:19 am
maybe you can add HDR10 to DV also for mp4remuxed already,
ok will add next version. good suggestion.
realbabilu wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:19 am
just for curiousity: what is --dv-bl-compatible-id 1 or --dv-bl-compatible-id 2 for --dv-profile 8
it tells if the base layer is compatible with SDR/HDR10/HLG/BD or none
but this function doesnt work with the mp4muxer I use.
Jose1001

Post by Jose1001 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 11:37 pm
Jose1001 wrote:
we are now at 1.3.1
Thank you very much friend, with version 1.3.1 everything works perfectly, I can now extract the RPU.bin and inject it into another source.
Greetings from Valencia (Spain)
videoh

Post by videoh »

FubbAyH wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:35 pm
Thanks for bringing DGDemux to our attention. It looks promising but one gotcha is that it has an option to keep the AC3 core with the THD (which we need for X800M2 compatibility) but using that disables the seamless gap processing. So to use the gap processing we'd have to re-add the AC3 core afterwards (presumably re-encoding from the gap-fixed THD), and then remux again so we'd still be at the mercy of tsMuxer bugs
For your information, recent versions of DGDemux have fixed this issue. When demuxing TrueHD, three files are created: *.thd, *.ac3, and *.thd+ac3. All three files have proper gaps correction. Also, the distribution includes a utility called thdmerge, that can be used to combine a *.thd and a *.ac3 into a *.thd+ac3.

I recommend using the latest version 61.
phbart

Post by phbart »

There's a FW update for the x700. Nothing regarding HDR or DV, though. :roll:

rkjnsn

Post by rkjnsn »

Is there a good way to spot check whether a DV P5 video base layer and an HDR10 video have the same (or similar enough) light levels for the metadata to be compatible for the hybrid maker functionality?
Jose1001

Post by Jose1001 »

Hello again, I still have a question.
Why is it that when I extract the RPU.bin with the DoVi_tools script from a dvhe.05.06 profile, and add it to a BDRemux with HDR, it creates a dvhe.05.06 BL+RPU + HDR10 compatible profile, and not a dvhe.08.06 profile?
Thanks and regards
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Jose1001 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:12 am
Why is it that when I extract the RPU.bin with the DoVi_tools script from a dvhe.05.06 profile, and add it to a BDRemux with HDR, it creates a dvhe.05.06 BL+RPU + HDR10 compatible profile, and not a dvhe.08.06 profile?
Thanks and regards
Because you can't just extract/inject the P5 RPU untouched into an HDR10 video. The rpu must be synced and converted to P8.
Check the tutorial videos.
rkjnsn wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:28 pm
Is there a good way to spot check whether a DV P5 video base layer and an HDR10 video have the same (or similar enough) light levels for the metadata to be compatible for the hybrid maker functionality?
Personally, I just compare the PQ images. I use MPV to export lossless png.
I might include a drag and drop mode for that in my next version.

Press S to get a lossless PQ PNG

Code: Select all

mpv.com --target-trc=pq --target-prim=bt.2020 --vo=gpu-next --gpu-context=d3d11  --screenshot-format=png --screenshot-png-compression=1 video.mkv
https://github.com/zhongfly/mpv-winbuild/releases
rkjnsn

Post by rkjnsn »

Thanks! That's really helpful. I ended up doing

mpv --vo=gpu-next --target-trc=pq --target-prim=bt.2020 bd://mpls/800 --bluray-device=[path to blu-ray folder]
in one maximized window and

mpv --vo=gpu-next --target-trc=pq --target-prim=bt.2020 [path to DV MP4]
in another.

That way I could quickly jump to a few different points in the movie, find the equivalent frame in the other window, and then flip back and forth to verify the brightness was the same.
Jose1001

Post by Jose1001 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:32 pm
Jose1001 wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:12 am
Thanks and regards
Because you can't just extract/inject the P5 RPU untouched into an HDR10 video. The rpu must be synced and converted to P8.
Check the tutorial videos.
Hello good afternoon and thank you very much for answering.
If by sync you mean putting the StaxRip checked difference frames between the HDR and DV track before extracting the RPU.bin from the DV P5, yes I do. If it doesn't sync like this I would be very grateful if you could tell me where I can find the tutorial video, because I have 5 tutorial videos but none for this function, and yesterday I started looking for it in the 449 pages of this post without finding it, thanks
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Jose1001 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:54 pm
where I can find the tutorial video
they are in my Dovi Scripts google drive folder(in my signature).