Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
quietvoid

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by quietvoid »

NiCE77 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:21 am
@quietvoid:
I also created mp4 and ts versions of your test files: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ahh4FiB9hIuT-ETf93f ... D?e=nOgBuQ
Is it possible that the Apple TV could only read the RPU from the mov container? How can I make a mov file?
Not sure. ffmpeg isn't keeping the Dolby Vision config when converting to mov. Only mp4.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

rophel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:26 am
Using Reset_9999's scripts and had some questions:

How accurate is the conversion of HDR10plus to DV? Anything I can do to improve the conversion? I don't have an HDR10+ display to compare.

Also, sometimes I end up with both an .hevc and a .bin file when using the script, etc. Do I need to do anything with the .bin or just mux the .hevc into a mkv? I'm not losing anything by discarding the .bin, correct? S
nop, you cannot improve the conversion. it's the best you can get with the input source you have.
rophel wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:26 am
Also, sometimes I end up with both an .hevc and a .bin file when using the script, etc. Do I need to do anything with the .bin or just mux the .hevc into a mkv? I'm not losing anything by discarding the .bin, correct? S
you can delete the .bin file.
I keep a copy because I want to share the rpu with my friends.
rkjnsn

Post by rkjnsn »

For movies with neither a Dolby Vision track nor HDR10+ metadata to convert, how much of a difference am I likely to notice on an LG C1 between auto-generating shot-by-shot metadata versus just playing it back with static metadata? Is it more likely to make a difference in a brighter room (so Dolby Vision IQ can do its thing) than a fully dark room?

Finally, is there any way to generate shot-by-shot metadata on Linux, or do I have to use the madMeasureHDR.exe program under Windows?

Thanks.
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

I just made a profile 5 doblyvision encode (now-possible) encoded on a pc
This test was made from a hdr10 base layer.
And it works on apple 🍎 tv
I’ll wait for reset9999 to compare
BE470269-B01B-4DDD-8390-DACFC8FC4F8D.png
BE470269-B01B-4DDD-8390-DACFC8FC4F8D.png (3.31 MiB) Viewed 6010 times
Attachments
6B045A9E-E77A-4C6C-A3E3-179A9109B163.jpeg
6B045A9E-E77A-4C6C-A3E3-179A9109B163.jpeg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 6010 times
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

rkjnsn wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:44 pm
For movies with neither a Dolby Vision track nor HDR10+ metadata to convert, how much of a difference am I likely to notice on an LG C1 between auto-generating shot-by-shot metadata versus just playing it back with static metadata? Is it more likely to make a difference in a brighter room (so Dolby Vision IQ can do its thing) than a fully dark room?

Finally, is there any way to generate shot-by-shot metadata on Linux, or do I have to use the madMeasureHDR.exe program under Windows?

Thanks.
HDR10 with madvr-generated DV is certainly better than just static HDR10. You will notice a difference, especially with bright content.
I dont know about Linux.
Manixx2020beyound

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:57 pm
I just made a profile 5 doblyvision encode (now-possible) encoded on a pc
This test was made from a hdr10 base layer.
And it works on apple 🍎 tv
I’ll wait for reset9999 to compare

My p5 are triggering doblyvision on the pc app. This is unbelievable
BE470269-B01B-4DDD-8390-DACFC8FC4F8D.png
rophel

Post by rophel »

@RESET_9999 Thanks for the quick reply!

Another issue (and I've spent time searching the forum via Google so sorry if this has been covered):

When I do WEB-DL only hybrids i.e. both DV and HDR are from WEB-DLs, with most films I get audio that is wildly out of sync. TV shows have no issues, strangely. Source files are MKVs, I use the hybrid maker script, then mux the resulting hevc file with the HDR file's audio and subs using mkvtoolnix gui.

I saw some mention of trying better release groups, but has anyone had any success in resolving this? I am using two files from the same release group and confirm exact same length via jumping to specific frames, etc.

I tried some various things, using TSMuxer to turn the end MKV into a TS seemed to get the audio only a second or so off...while the MKV was WILDLY off. So odd.
Manixx2020beyound

Here is a p5 sample for u guys to test
This was encoded using doblyvision encoding engine & h265, RPU is a true P5 even l4 included
Source file spares & munsil m2ts untouched Mel.

Test on Apple TV’s
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1476mVd ... sp=sharing
Last edited by Manixx2020beyound on Wed May 25, 2022 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am
This was encoded using doblyvision encoding engine & h265, RPU is a true P5 even l4 included

Test on Apple TV’s

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14VpI6o ... p=drivesdk
Thanks, I will try tonight. Maybe you could make a mov file from the recently linked P8.4 L2 test file?
ragico

Post by ragico »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:51 am

Test on Apple TV’s

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14VpI6o ... p=drivesdk
Thank you. Tested on ATV 4k works perfectly via Infuse but no audio.
Also for a couple of secs woksr on plex app before a message appears on the screen, plex complaining the network speed is too low (it is wired gigabit).
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Except that it is not a true P7/P8 to P5 conversion. It is newly generated metadata and all the artistic trims are gone. Basically the same as generating DV from madvr.
In order to get the same DV, the dovi_tool would need to be able to convert RPU to XML (same structure as resolve XML). Then we could import the metadata in resolve and encode it to P5.

Will be useful to convert all my HDR10 patterns to Profile 5 though.
stn17

Post by stn17 »

rkjnsn wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:44 pm
It would heavily depend on a file.

Not everybody fills full static metadata, some are using incorrect metadata that ruins tone mapping for OLED tvs without good DTM (LG)

For example, iTunes, ATV and Disney content (including disks) contains MaxCLL value way above what you can actually see in the actual movie. And if it goes above your TV's maximum brightness it will skew the EOTF target and increase brightness roll off. So 500 nits image will be presented in 350 nits. Warner brothers does the same stupid shit, when their logo is about 900 nits bright and the entire movie is 150-200 nits MaxFALL.

Famously, new Spider-Man has MaxCLL of 10000 nits even though it was graded on Sony OLED with maximum brightness of 1000 nits. It also scales up MaxFALL value so it messess up all the tone mapping in the film. Thankfully most of those fucked up movies come with Dolby Vision.

Now in this particular example, if the movie is only available in HDR10 (like Batman v Superman) MadVR DV would help alot as it will allow your TV work to its best potential and it will exclude that one 10000 nits frame from everything else in the content.
Manixx2020beyound

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:29 pm
Except that it is not a true P7/P8 to P5 conversion. It is newly generated metadata and all the artistic trims are gone. Basically the same as generating DV from madvr.
In order to get the same DV, the dovi_tool would need to be able to convert RPU to XML (same structure as resolve XML). Then we could import the metadata in resolve and encode it to P5.

Will be useful to convert all my HDR10 patterns to Profile 5 though.
Also a p5 encoded from a master MxF that already has been made with Dolbyvision meta retains all the artistic intent in the conversion to p5 tested that as well.
Yep Rpu to xml would put the icing on the cake..
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

So @manix converted the "mutli pattern" to profile 5 and as expected, no more colorspace conversion/clipping issues on the Shield. No blue banding as well.

We discovered something else, something quite big. The DV 8.1 MP4 encoded directly from Resolve doesn't have the famous color issue bug on the Shield!!!! what the hell!!!
So it means there is something in quietvoid/yusesope/makemkv DV remuxing that the Shield doesnt like at all... Strange though that only the Shield seem to be affected.

no color issues:
P5 pattern : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gFrasF ... sp=sharing
P8.1 pattern (DV MP4 straight from resolve) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fCjcMH ... sp=sharing

color issues:
P8.1 pattern (dovi_tool XML from resolve) :https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Aq3v03 ... sp=sharing
P8.1 pattern (dovi_tool madvr) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NbXM2p ... sp=sharing

We are going to make a P8.1 of Doctor Sleep in resolve, I bet there's no more red push...
mtotheb

Post by mtotheb »

This has to be one of the biggest news in this thread in a while. Hopefully the difference can be reverse engineered (looks hopeful at @quietvoid). I really thought we’d need to wait for a complete new SoC to maybe one day get DV (at least MEL)+Passthrough Audio in a device to simply stream like the Shield.
Shield TV 2017 -> LG DSN10YG Soundbar with SPK8 Rears -> LG B1 OLED