Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
glc650

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by glc650 »

narcospablo123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:40 pm
2. mp4 dual layer dual track 07.06 is working with full dolby vision no issues with image
3. mp4 dual layer single track 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision
4. mkv single track dual layer 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision
How are you verifying this? Just because a FEL title plays back on a device (and throws up a DV badge) doesn't mean that the FEL info is actually being used (the device could simply be ignoring it). As far as I know, the only way to verify true FEL capability of a device is with the various FEL test files out there.
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:13 pm
Might be my confusion of the semantics a bit. LLDV and Player-led DV have been used so interchangeably in other places that it can get a bit confusing. If LLDV is truly just another way of referring to profile 5, then my fault. What I really was referring to is that Player-led and TV-led DV has nothing to do with profiles.
No, you had it right the first time. LLDV = player-led and is not limited to certain DV profiels (if It was I would not be able to play P7 since my TV only does LLDV and I have verified full DTDL P7 FEL support with the FEL test files).
daddy

Post by daddy »

narcospablo123 wrote:
I just tested out some files on LG E9 tv using the internal plex app, using the nvidia shield as my streaming server. I tested it with nobody and john wick which are FEL dolby vision movies.
4. mkv single track dual layer 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision
It's strange because on my LG C7, all mkv 'BL+EL+RPU' are playing as HDR10 video.
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

daddy wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:05 am
narcospablo123 wrote:
I just tested out some files on LG E9 tv using the internal plex app, using the nvidia shield as my streaming server. I tested it with nobody and john wick which are FEL dolby vision movies.
It's strange because on my LG C7, all mkv 'BL+EL+RPU' are playing as HDR10 video.
Same with B8. Plex app on LG does not support Dolby Vision in mkv container yet.
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

glc650 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:58 am
narcospablo123 wrote:
2. mp4 dual layer dual track 07.06 is working with full dolby vision no issues with image
3. mp4 dual layer single track 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision
How are you verifying this? Just because a FEL title plays back on a device (and throws up a DV badge) doesn't mean that the FEL info is actually being used (the device could simply be ignoring it). As far as I know, the only way to verify true FEL capability of a device is with the various FEL test files out there.
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:13 pm
Might be my confusion of the semantics a bit. LLDV and Player-led DV have been used so interchangeably in other places that it can get a bit confusing. If LLDV is truly just another way of referring to profile 5, then my fault. What I really was referring to is that Player-led and TV-led DV has nothing to do with profiles.
No, you had it right the first time. LLDV = player-led and is not limited to certain DV profiels (if It was I would not be able to play P7 since my TV only does LLDV and I have verified full DTDL P7 FEL support with the FEL test files).
When I said fully working, I meant physically fully working. Ie. no stuttering, no vertical lines, no distorted colours as such. I'm not sure if they're playing FEL or not. Does the LG E9 support FEL through plex?

and @ NICE and Daddy. Ah I may have muddled up this file with the .mp4 single track dual layer one if both of you are having issues. I'll try again tomorrow and update this message.

EDIT: my apologies! single track dual layer .mkv are only working on shield plex in dolby vision and atmos. I must have got them muddled up as I played about 12 files in the space of 5mins. I'll update my original post.

I'm not even getting atmos on single track dual layer .mkvs on the interal plex app. It's transcoding to ac3, are you guys getting atmos?
Last edited by narcospablo123 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisTheMenace

Post by DennisTheMenace »

Most streaming boxes on the market that are capable of playing DV MKVs (Shield, Zidoos, Dunes) can only in reality play MEL titles. These boxes lack the secondary video decoder needed to fully process an FEL title. When these players encounter an FEL title, they will simply ignore the EL and just apply the RPU dynamic metadata to the BL. Whether this is a "waste of time" is up to the user. RPU applied to just the BL is still superior to normal HDR10 and for certain titles, even the FEL doesn't really contain that much image data. There are reports of a few streamers that are capable of fully processing FEL titles (the new google tv chromecast and some chinese Amlogic S922XJ-based boxes), but their limitations have been well documented elsewhere in this thread.
It's better than normal HDR10, because normal HDR10 is not dynamic, you are only missing the 12 bit information that is stored in the El layer
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

DennisTheMenace wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:22 am
Most streaming boxes on the market that are capable of playing DV MKVs (Shield, Zidoos, Dunes) can only in reality play MEL titles. These boxes lack the secondary video decoder needed to fully process an FEL title. When these players encounter an FEL title, they will simply ignore the EL and just apply the RPU dynamic metadata to the BL. Whether this is a "waste of time" is up to the user. RPU applied to just the BL is still superior to normal HDR10 and for certain titles, even the FEL doesn't really contain that much image data. There are reports of a few streamers that are capable of fully processing FEL titles (the new google tv chromecast and some chinese Amlogic S922XJ-based boxes), but their limitations have been well documented elsewhere in this thread.
It's better than normal HDR10, because normal HDR10 is not dynamic, you are only missing the 12 bit information that is stored in the El layer
So to someone who is not too in depth with the technical lingo, is it better to have a BL+RPU file playing dolby vision than a HDR movie? I think shaw mentioned that messing with dolby vision profile 7 movies and making them into 5 is a bad idea. Is it possible to make a BL+RPU profile 7? I think tsmuxer makes it automatically to profile 8 if you insert a BL+RPU hevc file
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

narcospablo123 wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:58 pm
So to someone who is not too in depth with the technical lingo, is it better to have a BL+RPU file playing dolby vision than a HDR movie? I think shaw mentioned that messing with dolby vision profile 7 movies and making them into 5 is a bad idea. Is it possible to make a BL+RPU profile 7? I think tsmuxer makes it automatically to profile 8 if you insert a BL+RPU hevc file
Yes, most of the time it is. There are some edge cases such as Saving Private Ryan where if you don't use the EL and just apply the RPU to the BL, you'll get bad flickering throughout the movie. In such cases, it's better to just go with the HDR10 only. But unless you have a device that strictly requires BL+RPU and won't even play a file with EL, then just don't do anything different. If you have a profile 7 BL+EL+RPU file and play it on a Shield or Zidoo device, it'll just ignore the EL on its own and play it as if it's just BL+RPU; you don't have to manually remove the EL during the muxing process.
Walterclon

Post by Walterclon »

Hi,
This is my first post, I´ve been following this topic from time ago, but this weekend I finally started to put hand on building playable DV files on my LG B7.

I tried to find an answer to my problem all along the topic, but no luck.

Everytime I used mp4muxer (any version) I get an empty (0kb) file, and I cant figured out what Im doing wrong.

In image you can see the files Im trying to use (BL, El and ac3) and the command line

what Im doing wrong?

thanks!
Walter
Attachments
Image_Issue
Image_Issue
mp4_0kb_file.jpg (263.08 KiB) Viewed 12447 times
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

The reason you have a 0kb file is You need to wait for it to finish, it can look like nothing is happening but depending on the speed of your system plus the size of your file it could be 20 - 40 mins before the file finishes outputting.
Walterclon

Post by Walterclon »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:44 am
The reason you have a 0kb file is You need to wait for it to finish, it can look like nothing is happening but depending on the speed of your system plus the size of your file it could be 20 - 40 mins before the file finishes outputting.
Thanks for your comment.
wait for 1hs and still 0kb. Tested using differents disks and the same 0kb output.

After writing the command line, as soon as I press enter, the output file is created and in cmd its appear the line referring to a disk/folder (in my case H:\DV Test>)

but nothing happens, should I see some command/instruction like "%counting" or something denoting mp4muxer is working?

Thanks
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

i think the battle lost against DV-MKV remux? (dual-layer)
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

liamtoh1 wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:45 am
What am I doing wrong? DV is not triggered when playing MKV files via Plex and Shield Pro
TV: Sony 900H (supports full DV profile)
HDMI3 - set to DV

Plex Player: Shield Pro (2019) using latest Plex App. Hardwired to AX86U router using Cat6 via switch.
Tried 2 different resolution settings - 4K 23.976 Hz and 4K 59.940 Hz

Plex Server: On a desktop PC (hardwired to AX86U router using Cat6 via switch) and library also on a HDD with movies ripped using latest MakeMKV 1.16.3
Receiver: Denon X3300W (2016 model and also supports DV).
All cables are Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables

Media Info for the movies mention the HDR format to be DV dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU

Example movies. LOTR, Indiana Jones, Black Panther, Matrix.
Look here:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/mkv-dolby-visi ... -13/709687

I've opened this a while ago, no change since then, so just sticking to the old version of plex. Does anyone know if Jellyfin can playback dv in mkv?
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:40 pm
liamtoh1 wrote:
What am I doing wrong? DV is not triggered when playing MKV files via Plex and Shield Pro
HDMI3 - set to DV

Plex Player: Shield Pro (2019) using latest Plex App. Hardwired to AX86U router using Cat6 via switch.

Plex Server: On a desktop PC (hardwired to AX86U router using Cat6 via switch) and library also on a HDD with movies ripped using latest MakeMKV 1.16.3

Look here:

I've opened this a while ago, no change since then, so just sticking to the old version of plex. Does anyone know if Jellyfin can playback dv in mkv?
DV started working after updating firmware on my Sony 900H and factory reset of Shield Pro.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

liamtoh1 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 pm
darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:40 pm
liamtoh1 wrote:
HDMI3 - set to DV

Look here:

DV started working after updating firmware on my Sony 900H and factory reset of Shield Pro.
With the latest ver of plex? dvhe 07.06 in mkv container?
On my Philips TV 65OLED934/12 I always have to revert back to plex ver 8.12.2.22756.

Even if it's 8.12.3, it stops playing back dvhe 07.06 mkv files
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

darrrkmanxxx wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:42 am
liamtoh1 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:05 pm
With the latest ver of plex? dvhe 07.06 in mkv container?
On my Philips TV 65OLED934/12 I always have to revert back to plex ver 8.12.2.22756.
Even if it's 8.12.3, it stops playing back dvhe 07.06 mkv files
I rechecked today.
The Plex Player App on my Shield and on my Sony 900H TV are the same version 8.20.0.26605.
The Plex Server version 1.23.4.4805 is running on Windows 10. There was a recent update to the PMS, but no impact on DV (before/after server version update).
MKV files were created with MakeMKV version 1.16.3 and it shows "Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible"

When running Plex app on Sony TV, I make sure that I choose non-HD audio stream. For Shield/Plex, I choose HD audio (I connect Shield to AVR). In both instances, DV is triggered on my TV. I also verified that both, audio and video, is Direct Play and there is no transcoding.