Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

rophel wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:34 am
Ran into some files that have "SMPTE ST 2094 App 4" which is described as "It is a 3 point curve instead of a 10 point curve though. Essentially a pre-release version of HDR10+ Profile B."

The script is not able to convert it to DV, and it fails entirely and won't generate via madVR. Any chance of getting that to work?

Feel free to DM and I can link you to a sample.
Someone corrects me if I'm wrong but if the hdr10plus file doesnt say profile B or A, the metadata are incomplete/corrupted and can't be parsed so it can't be converted to DV.
madVR should be able to generate DV though.
lightsout wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:16 am
Can someone help me out, I was under the impression that Makemkv can now do a remux in MKV with DV. Do I need to do more than Makemkv to get this to work. I am currently ripping Jurassic World, playback will be on a Zidoo Z9X and potentially a Shield. Thanks

EDIT## Hmmm, maybe I am confused, I found the google drive links with the DoVi scripts, but the Ziddo is displaying DV from a straight rip.
Yes you can just play makemkv rip straight with the zidoo but you may experience some flickering/flashes with FEL movies so the best option is to convert to profile 8.
rophel

Post by rophel »

Replying to clarify it is SMTP 2094 App 4 Version 0 (not 1 or 2).

Option 3-1-1 (HDR10+ or madVR) is failing:

Code: Select all

File doesn't contain dynamic metadata, stopping.
Parsing HDR10+ JSON file...
Error: The system cannot find the file specified. (os error 2)
Press any key to continue . . .
Then it tries to parse a non-existent RPU and fails entirely.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

rophel wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:53 pm
Replying to clarify it is SMTP 2094 App 4 Version 0 (not 1 or 2).

Then it tries to parse a non-existent RPU and fails entirely.
Yes I know exactly what you're talking about, I had to deal with it on Amazon Upload Season 01.
But now I understand why madvr won't work. Since I merged the hdr10plus and madvr workflows together, the script detects "SMTP 2094" as hdr10plus regardless of the profile (0,A or B).
I'll fix it in the next version but right now you can just add this code at line 8056 (assuming you're trying workflow #1) and it should fallback to madvr if HDR10plus extraction fails.

if NOT ["%errorlevel%"]==["0"]  goto :no.hdr10plus
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:28 pm
the script detects "SMTP 2094" as hdr10plus regardless of the profile (0,A or B).
Version 0 can be parsed by using --skip-validation when parsing HDR10+, in the latest version.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@quietvoid
great. thank you!

@rophel
will be fixed in the next version but if you want it now then add this code at line 8054 (and update the hdr10plus tool)

if NOT ["%errorlevel%"]==["0"] echo VERSION 0 detected & "%hdr10plus_parser_path%" --skip-validation extract %HDR% -o "%TEMP%hdr10plus.JSON"
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:56 am
yossSP wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:56 pm
RESET_9999, I've seen and downloaded the new DoVi test files, but I don't know what means the L1, L2, L3, L8 terms, please could explain to me in short or redirect to any post which explain it so I could test in my Chromecast with Google TV.
Thanks in advance.
see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOhnxXnrauI and https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s ... uage=en_US
check if you see a reaction for L1/L2/L8 in LLDV/TV-LED
Tests made on Chromecast with Google TV over both TV-LED and Player-LED modes.
I have played the eight "RPU p8.1/4 L1.L2..._cmv29/cmv40" files.

I can't see any change in picture in L2_trim_chroma_weight, L2_ms_weight, nor any L3 and L8 tests.

Please, can you explain to me what this means? It suposses any problem to Dolby Vision FEL/MEL processing on this device?

Thanks in advance RESET_9999.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

We've just discovered a bug withe Zidoo Z9X Dolby Vision output. Using the DV test pattern from here:

https://www.biaslighting.com/products/s ... -reference

the Zidoo Z9X will only resolve black levels down to 85. The Nvidia Shield has been tested and it correctly resolves all the way down to 64, as does my LG C9 internal player. It would be interesting to see which devices pass the test and which ones don't.

Sadly real world viewing shows this problem as posterisation in dark scenes and is very distracting.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm
I can't see any change in picture in L2_trim_chroma_weight, L2_ms_weight, nor any L3 and L8 tests.

Please, can you explain to me what this means? It suposses any problem to Dolby Vision FEL/MEL processing on this device?
This is expected and it means the CCwGTV (or your TV, but unlikely as you said it's the same in player-led mode) only supports CM v2.9 Dolby Vision.

mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:59 am
the Zidoo Z9X will only resolve black levels down to 85. The Nvidia Shield has been tested and it correctly resolves all the way down to 64, as does my LG C9 internal player. It would be interesting to see which devices pass the test and which ones don't.
That pattern isn't free but we've had it for a while and it just shows some issues with HDMI input devices.
I thought the Shield also had the issue, though.
The FireTV Stick 4K (2018 and 2021) clips at 72 on LG C8-C2, assuming your pattern is the same as what we've had.

You can try the same pattern but with modified metadata from RESET_9999's test files: black.levels.pattern.modified_3079.ts
If that improves the black clipping, then it's the same issue.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

interesting...
x800m2 is crushed/clipped at 72-73 on the C8 but on the C2, it's perfect, I can see 65/66.

on another topic:
@to anyone doing Hybrid P8 remux, I started an excel sheet listing the movies that can(or can't) be injected:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:59 pm
interesting...
x800m2 is crushed/clipped at 72-73 on the C8 but on the C2, it's perfect, I can see 65/66.

on another topic:
@to anyone doing Hybrid P8 remux, I started an excel sheet listing the movies that can(or can't) be injected:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
BvS Dawn of Justice IMAX should be good IIRC - 4K nits UHD

Death on the Nile (2022) No good 1k nits UHD

Black Widow UHD (with non-IMAX DV5) No good 1k nits UHD
realbabilu

Post by realbabilu »

i cant inject aquaman imax hdr10 with madvr. it cant played in my tv with mp4 dolbymux container.
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:36 pm
yossSP wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:51 pm

This is expected and it means the CCwGTV (or your TV, but unlikely as you said it's the same in player-led mode) only supports CM v2.9 Dolby Vision.

mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:59 am
That pattern isn't free but we've had it for a while and it just shows some issues with HDMI input devices.
I thought the Shield also had the issue, though.
The FireTV Stick 4K (2018 and 2021) clips at 72 on LG C8-C2, assuming your pattern is the same as what we've had.

You can try the same pattern but with modified metadata from RESET_9999's test files: black.levels.pattern.modified_3079.ts
If that improves the black clipping, then it's the same issue.
OK so with black.levels.pattern.modified_3079.ts the Z9X goes down to about level 67. What exactly does this mean and what does issues with the HDMI input devices mean?

Edit. Could adjusting the DV block in the EDID help?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 pm
OK so with black.levels.pattern.modified_3079.ts the Z9X goes down to about level 67. What exactly does this mean and what does issues with the HDMI input devices mean?

It means you're dealing with the same issue we've seen before, and it only affects this test pattern.
It's probably a bug in the Dolby Vision processing of the TV, because the pattern uses 10 000 nits for the mastering display metadata.

In actual content, you would have similar black level to 67, so everything's fine.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:16 pm
mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:36 pm

It means you're dealing with the same issue we've seen before, and it only affects this test pattern.
It's probably a bug in the Dolby Vision processing of the TV, because the pattern uses 10 000 nits for the mastering display metadata.

In actual content, you would have similar black level to 67, so everything's fine.
Except that in real world content I can see the black crush. I’ll post up some photos to show what I’m seeing - this has been confirmed by others as well
duder

Post by duder »

Hi Guys!
Could someone pls tell me what i do wrong when trying to "repack" mkv p8 to mp4 p8 using RESET_9999's DoVi scripts?
I got smth like this
Attachments
DoViFailed.jpg
DoViFailed.jpg (335.58 KiB) Viewed 6521 times