Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Hellboy.

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Hellboy. »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:56 pm
1-For Blu-ray folder what you recommend, the Sony x700 or x800m2?
both works the same so , i guess the cheaper one is better (x700)
Hellboy. wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:02 pm
2-The x800m2 work the same as the x700?
They mostly work the same but the x800m2 is better because of the 5ghz wifi and it has fewer bugs.
Sorry, in the second question i mean x700m (and i write x700m2).
I want to know if the newer x700m work the same as the old x700?
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-Theater-Str ... B08ZFYVS9T
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

i dont know. looks the same as the x700
johnjon94

Post by johnjon94 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:26 am
i dont know. looks the same as the x700
Currently the option to overwrite L2 trim passes doesn't work directly with just an RPU or XML file. It processes the file, generates the new RPU, but then deletes the new RPU immediately after it was generated. Is there any chance you could fix this?

Edit: I take that back, after changing the setting to set keep_rpu=YES it began to save the new RPU file.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Anyone here look at the Star Trek The Next Generation movies that recently are out in 4k BR DV FEL?

I've never seen so much video data in a FEL stream before (from just doing the put it in an mkv container and playback to see if FEL or if all green=MEL thing)!

Normally you see a few multi-colored motion artifacts and that's it. Here, almost the entire image is produced/viewable.

Anything special/unique about these, or I just never came across it/noticed it on any other titles before?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

staknhalo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:43 pm
Anyone here look at the Star Trek The Next Generation movies that recently are out in 4k BR DV FEL?

I've never seen so much video data in a FEL stream before (from just doing the put it in an mkv container and playback to see if FEL or if all green=MEL thing)!

Normally you see a few multi-colored motion artifacts and that's it. Here, almost the entire image is produced/viewable.

Anything special/unique about these, or I just never came across it/noticed it on any other titles before?
From RESET_9999's plots, the FEL probably restores 2000/4000 nits brightness.
I have not checked, but I could if you have a sample.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:01 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:43 pm

From RESET_9999's plots, the FEL probably restores 2000/4000 nits brightness.
I have not checked, but I could if you have a sample.
https://mega.nz/file/JLoSkB7S#ph9fGLlLF ... p5nSchf3_E
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Ah I meant with the base layer too.
Does look like it would increase brightness, though. Hard to know without the full BL+EL+RPU.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:49 pm
Ah I meant with the base layer too.
Does look like it would increase brightness, though. Hard to know without the full BL+EL+RPU.
https://mega.nz/file/RaRylCZS#2VyRTsOm3 ... sqD6cGfpRc

had to make clip shorter, too much to upload for my crap internet lol
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

staknhalo wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 12:46 am
https://mega.nz/file/RaRylCZS#2VyRTsOm3 ... sqD6cGfpRc

had to make clip shorter, too much to upload for my crap internet lol
That sample has little frames where brightness is increased, but a lot of near black is darkened.
It seems to improve near black contrast and brighten some specular highlights from 1000 nits to 1700 nits here.

https://slow.pics/c/o2cjQYZi
You can see the bottom left is brighter and the near black deeper.

It probably also improves on the compression artifacts a bit.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:18 am
It probably also improves on the compression artifacts a bit.
Ahhhh I didn't even think of that - does Total Recall or whatever that infamous one is - does the FEL look the same on that too where you can pretty much make out the entire image in the FEL alone?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

staknhalo wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:38 pm
Ahhhh I didn't even think of that - does Total Recall or whatever that infamous one is - does the FEL look the same on that too where you can pretty much make out the entire image in the FEL alone?
I don't know, never seen the EL for that.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 4:54 pm
I don't know, never seen the EL for that.
Remember that problem I contacted you about that I was seeing for the NF DV8 files?

Same problem again, NF title again, but different NF title.

I'll break it down and show screenshots of what I'm talking about - sample files attached

The DV8 file shows artifacts - looks just like RPU misalignment artifacts to me (look at his face down the middle and the red square overlaying it) - it shows this way both on Windows with the DV extension installed, and on my DV capable Android TV - so it's not just a Windows thing

Now, if I demux the HEVC file in Dovi_Tool - that should leave me with a HDR10 BL only (and the separate EL) - which it seemingly does, and mediainfo seems to report the same - but look what happens when viewing this 'supposed HDR10 only' file - the same artifacts show up on playback - again this is both on Windows and Android TV that the HDR10 file shows what appear to be RPU artifacts when there should be no RPU info in the file at all

Now, if I playback either the DV8 or supposed only HDR10 file, in a non-DV capable player like VLC - look - no RPU artifacts at all!

Something has to be going on here, just like I noticed with the Community files (also saw this on a NF movie as mentioned) - and again - it's ONLY NF TITLES I see this bug on :/

Here are the files - 'DVBad.m4v' is the DV8 file as you get it - the '10Bad.m4v' file is the supposed HDR10 only hevc after run through Dovi_tool that should have no RPU info in it, but appears to still do

https://mega.nz/file/8L5l3AaZ#Q7NxdKLmJ ... bE-fiBbBVA
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

the video look corrupted. The artifacts are present on MPC as well.
Which title is this exactly? I've never seen anything like this and I watched tons of P8 NF content.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:50 pm
the video look corrupted. The artifacts are present on MPC as well.
Which title is this exactly? I've never seen anything like this and I watched tons of P8 NF content.
MPC attempts to read and map DV metadata though, correct? For DV5 > SDR mapping IIRC? I think the issue is somewhere DV info is being left behind when it shouldn't be (either because the original files themselves are structured wrong or whatever) - and because these players parse DV info - they attempt to display it - where as players that do nothing with DV so the info is gibberish to them - they don't attempt to display it so don't

I'll DM you all the stuff I've noticed it in

Edit: I'm thinking of MPV for DV5 > SDR mapping, not MPC, my bad
Last edited by staknhalo on Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 9:53 pm

MPC attempts to read and map DV metadata though, correct?
No rpu used. I use madvr and it doesn't render the rpu at all.