Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
dysprosium

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by dysprosium »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:11 pm

How can we tell Minix is processing the colors correctly and plays the second HEVC stream with EL layer like a regular Blu-Ray player? For a long time, we thought the same thing with Shield, but Shield discards the EL
I don't know about the Minix specifically, but there is proof for the Ugoos AM6 Plus, which uses the same S922X-J SoC: 1 2.

In theory, these AMLogic chipsets have hardware support for FEL processing.
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

dysprosium wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:18 pm
mulucy wrote:

How can we tell Minix is processing the colors correctly and plays the second HEVC stream with EL layer like a regular Blu-Ray player? For a long time, we thought the same thing with Shield, but Shield discards the EL
I don't know about the Minix specifically, but there is proof for the Ugoos AM6 Plus, which uses the same S922X-J SoC: 1 2.

The picture shows LLDV which is player-led DV I assume? Does the UGOOS support tv-led DV considering the issues with player-led DV.
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

XTrojan wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:05 am
dysprosium wrote:
mulucy wrote:

The picture shows LLDV which is player-led DV I assume? Does the UGOOS support tv-led DV considering the issues with player-led DV.
Supports both.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

dysprosium wrote:
mulucy wrote:

The hardware is definitely there, and Ugoos is pretty good with software and support ( at least they have a good track record). My only concern is whether we can compare the picture differences side by side between Sony X700 and AM6 Plus on the same tv. We have to make sure it's not discarding the EL like Shield does
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

The Ugoos is 100% using the FEL. As an example if you look at the end credits of Power Rangers if it is discarding the Fel they look very grey but if it uses the FEL they are white - they whiteness of the end credits is actually in the FEL. I demuxed the FEL of Power Rangers to check the FEL! It also gets the noise in the picture if you use the test with the wrong FEL muxed in. I've compared it on my LG C9 with the C9 playing a the FEL mp4 and it looks the same.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mattmarsden wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:03 am
The Ugoos is 100% using the FEL. As an example if you look at the end credits of Power Rangers if it is discarding the Fel they look very grey but if it uses the FEL they are white - they whiteness of the end credits is actually in the FEL. I demuxed the FEL of Power Rangers to check the FEL! It also gets the noise in the picture if you use the test with the wrong FEL muxed in. I've compared it on my LG C9 with the C9 playing a the FEL mp4 and it looks the same.
Hi Matt, Given the current state of the Ugoos playback of DV, is it currently functional with just a couple of glitches, or does it really need a lot more work?

Have you tried different buffer sizes in Kodi?

Also has anybody tried the Mininx with custom firmware, it’s £30 cheaper in the UK than Ugoos.
Thanks.
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

Somebody know when the Ugoos AM7 will appear and how the specs will differ from the AM6 Plus?
bedders

Post by bedders »

I have a question about profile 7 DV and MakeMKV. Am I right in thinking that if a FEL UHD disc has been ripped with MakeMKV then the it generates a single video track and the enhancement layer 1080p track from the disc is somehow interleaved along with the main video track?
If this is the case, how does one tell from the resulting MKV that it contains the enhancement layer since MediaInfo will show only a single 2160p track?

PS sounds like the Ugoos AM6 Plus is the way to go for DV playback. Ordered one today :)
juzer7

Post by juzer7 »

MastaG wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:36 pm

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.09, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : hev1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
But for me it does not play at all.. all I get is a black screen and a spinner, both in Emby and from usb disk using the builtin mediaplayer.
Something wrong with the above steps or commands?
Any help would be nice :)
Here is HELP :-)

I googled for the last few hours and I could not find an answer to the same question. I muxed the BL and EL video tracks with the command:

mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 -i BL.hevc -i EL.hevc --media-lang eng --output-file BL+EL.mp4
And for me the movie on my LG C9 was also not playing, showing only the "spinner" all the time. After some investigation I found that the issue might be here. After muxing the tracks into one MP4 file: BL+EL.mp4 - the EL track (2nd one) was described as:

HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.09, BL+EL+RPU / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : hev1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
And I found that in order for a Dolby Vision MP4 to play correctly on LG C9 it has to be like this:

Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
So I needed to find a way to change hev1 into dvhe inside the EL video track inside the MP4 container.
I could not figure out any command or switch in mp4muxer or m4box to do so (there might be one) so I decided to go a different way.

I downloaded HxD Editor
https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

Then I opened the BL+EL.mp4 file and I went to menu Search -> Find -> Search for: "hev1" + Case sensitive (checked).
Inside an MP4 file without audio tracks (could be the same inside a file with audio tracks) it was the 2nd search result.
So after I found the first "hev1" occurance (line 01E0) I looked for the 2nd one "hev1" (F3 - Search next) which was line 00023AF00. My guess was that the video streams were written in the MP4 file in the sequence: BL and only then the 2nd one is EL.
So then I just overwrote the 2nd occurance of "hev1" into "dvhe".

After that I just saved the file File -> Save. HxD Editor will create a backup for you so you don't need to backup the file before in case something goes wrong.

After opening Plex on LG C9 voila... Dolby Vision! No more spinning wheel.

And in the MediaInfo I found:

Codec ID                                 : dvhe
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding with Dolby Vision
I hope someone will find it helpful.
Xtremux

Post by Xtremux »

First of all, greet everyone and thank the work and effort made so that we can reproduce DV. I would like to know, if possible, that someone explain step by step, how to create a m2ts or ts that maintains the two layers of DV in one file and is playable on a Lg CX tv. I have read almost 300 pages, but the information is confusing at times, and somewhat difficult to understand at certain points. If someone would be so kind to describe the steps and share the necessary tools for the job, since these also change and are constantly updated, to know the necessary versions of each program. Greetings and thanks again. Sorry for my terrible English.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

juzer7 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm
So I needed to find a way to change hev1 into dvhe inside the EL video track inside the MP4 container.
I could not figure out any command or switch in mp4muxer or m4box to do so (there might be one) so I decided to go a different way.
Mentioned a while back but you could have just used the 2018 version, they just removed flagging as Dolby Vision for dual layer.
See https://github.com/quietvoid/dlb_mp4bas ... a64a6a00a5
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

quietvoid wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 am
juzer7 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:43 pm
Mentioned a while back but you could have just used the 2018 version, they just removed flagging as Dolby Vision for dual layer.
See https://github.com/quietvoid/dlb_mp4bas ... a64a6a00a5
Is that the only file one has to revert and then it will work for LG CX with FEL and all that?
Also, I can't find a 2018 version, seems they routinely updated it without versions :<
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

XTrojan wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:29 am
Is that the only file one has to revert and then it will work for LG CX with FEL and all that?
Also, I can't find a 2018 version, seems they routinely updated it without versions :<
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dl ... a4eabd/bin
I don't have a CX but with a C8 it is the only required change.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

XTrojan wrote:
From all the reports so far, it looks like the CX does not have support for FEL regardless of what container you mux your video in.
juzer7

Post by juzer7 »

XTrojan wrote:

CX does NOT support dual layer DoVi MP4 :oops:
I got 3 LG OLEDs in my family.
  • On B8 and C9 dual layer DoVi MP4 plays FINE.
  • On BX dual layer DoVi MP4 does NOT play. It falls back into HDR.