Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
sw5163

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sw5163 »

staknhalo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 pm
Now I have an issue with Ep 4, 6 and 8 of Mandalorian S1 DV Profile 5 - mp4box is telling me:
I had The.Mandalorian.S01.2160p.DSNP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.DV.MP4.x265-MZABI[rartv] converted when it came out.
Didn't remember there was an issue.

If you are certain the error is specific to those files, please try mp4mux - Bento4.

Command line is probably something like this:
mp4mux(bento4) --track dv.hevc#dv_profile=5,frame_rate=23.976 --track atmos.ec3 bento4sample.mp4

bento4 and mp4box are the only two tools I know on Windows that can get iOS compatible P5 DVH1 mp4.
(mp4muxer sometimes results in black screen)

bento4 is the tool I used before mp4muxer and mp4box, and is actually recommended by ShaoWeiguo, the author of mp4muxer, when I asked him about iOS black screen a long time ago.
But be careful bento4 has frame_rate mismatch issue so you have to specify frame_rate as above.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

sw5163 wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:55 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:46 pm
Now I have an issue with Ep 4, 6 and 8 of Mandalorian S1 DV Profile 5 - mp4box is telling me:
I had The.Mandalorian.S01.2160p.DSNP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.DV.MP4.x265-MZABI[rartv] converted when it came out.
Didn't remember there was an issue.

If you are certain the error is specific to those files, please try mp4mux - Bento4.

Command line is probably something like this:
mp4mux(bento4) --track dv.hevc#dv_profile=5,frame_rate=23.976 --track atmos.ec3 bento4sample.mp4

bento4 and mp4box are the only two tools I know on Windows that can get iOS compatible P5 DVH1 mp4.
(mp4muxer sometimes results in black screen)

bento4 is the tool I used before mp4muxer and mp4box, and is actually recommended by ShaoWeiguo, the author of mp4muxer, when I asked him about iOS black screen a long time ago.
But be careful bento4 has frame_rate mismatch issue so you have to specify frame_rate as above.
Yeah, the mzabi release, even reacquired the 4-6-8 eps to confirm the missing/bad/garbage data was in source

using

Code: Select all

mp4mux --track Video.hevc#dv_profile=5,frame_rate=23.976 --track audio.aac FileName.mp4
mp4mux made a file without error - with dvh1 - but plays on Windows, but doesn't play on iOS or Android (iOS just spins never plays Android throws an error no playback)

mp4muxer dvhe/dvh1 are the only 'passable' outputs, though still not 100% accurate because doesn't work on iOS but does work on Windows/Android - it's gotta be the source, oh well

Edit: and I tried demuxing the video stream out of the mp4mux output file and using that in mp4box - still same 'garbage' error - out of 34 P5 files I have it was just those 3 - meh can't win them all
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

staknhalo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:40 pm
Yeah, the mzabi release, even reacquired the 4-6-8 eps to confirm the missing/bad/garbage data was in source
I reacquired one of the eps you mentioned. Can confirm there is something wrong with the mp4 package.
It seems mp4box recognize it as h.263, no idea what that is.
However, you can split it:

ffmpeg -i broken.mp4 -c copy -t 1:00 first.hevc
ffmpeg -i broken.mp4 -c copy -ss 1:00 second.hevc
And then concat them together (lossless)

mp4box -cat first.hevc -cat second.hevc -new fix.dvh1.mp4
It will work on iOS devices.
No idea what's going on with that file.

Also why using aac instead of EAC3/atmos inside the file?
xxyz1

Post by xxyz1 »

Hi guys!

I've this file:
Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

Trying this:

mp4mux --track track_1_und.hevc#dv_profile=8,frame_rate=23.976 --track track_2_deu.ec3 bento4sample.mp4

But it says
integer number for Dolby vision BL signal cross-compatibility ID

What I have to do?
Thanks so much
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

xxyz1 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:29 pm
But it says
integer number for Dolby vision BL signal cross-compatibility ID
For P8.1 you have to specify dolby vision base layer signal compatibility id to 1.(to 4 if DV hlg P8.4)

mp4mux(bento4) --track dv.hevc#dv_profile=8,dv_bc=1,frame_rate=23.976 --track atmos.ec3 p81.hvc1.mp4
But, please don't use mp4mux(bento4) other than making iOS compatible mp4.
In fact, I have never been using it since mp4box v2.0 came out.
Use mp4muxer or mp4box or @RESET_9999 's script under his signature instead.

I see the file you have is already P8.1 dvhe, may I ask why would you like to convert it again?
xxyz1

Post by xxyz1 »

sw5163 wrote: I see the file you have is already P8.1 dvhe, may I ask why would you like to convert it again?
Because my OLED LG 55B6D can't play thie Dolbyvision.
sw5163 wrote: Use mp4muxer or mp4box or @RESET_9999 's script under his signature instead.
Tried mp4muxer but can't open a mkv file. Is there a Howto?
The other I will try out.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

sw5163 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 2:14 am
staknhalo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:40 pm
I reacquired one of the eps you mentioned. Can confirm there is something wrong with the mp4 package.
It seems mp4box recognize it as h.263, no idea what that is.
However, you can split it:

ffmpeg -i broken.mp4 -c copy -t 1:00 first.hevc
ffmpeg -i broken.mp4 -c copy -ss 1:00 second.hevc
And then concat them together (lossless)

mp4box -cat first.hevc -cat second.hevc -new fix.dvh1.mp4
It will work on iOS devices.
No idea what's going on with that file.

Also why using aac instead of EAC3/atmos inside the file?
This worked for Ep4, thanks

But Ep6 and Ep8 get audio sync issues even with this (not Ep4 strangely) - using either my aac encoded audio or original sources' eac3 audio (I only do soundbars and space adds up over files/time - why I encode to aac stereo - with Dolby upmix though so it's something better than nothing if ever played on surround)

And even going from source ffmpeg throws this on 6 & 8

Error applying bitstream filters to an output packet for stream #0: Invalid data found when processing input
av_interleaved_write_frame(): Invalid data found when processing input
Error muxing a packet for output file #0
Also, I notice DVHE profile 8 stutters on iOS/iPhone 8 Plus - only way to get it not to is to process with mp4box, but then in mediainfo it's labeled fake p5 - which I don't want for p8 files

I understand p8 alone and especially p8 with DVHE won't do DV on iOS, that's fine playback in HDR10 is what I'm fine with - but is the stutter always going to be there unless I make it a fake p5? Or is just because the iPhone 8 Plus is older, and on newer devices it will play smoother?

It's like even though DVHE it sees it's Dolby Vision and is just stuttering on the metadata on playback even if not displaying the RPU
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:10 pm
But Ep6 and Ep8 get audio sync issues even with this (not Ep4 strangely) - using either my aac encoded audio or original sources' ec3 audio (I only do soundbars and space adds up over files/time - why I encode to aac with Dolby upmix though)
This release is just broken, I will give EP6 and 8 some tests.
staknhalo wrote:
I understand p8 alone and especially p8 with DVHE won't do DV on iOS, that's fine playback in HDR10 is what I'm fine with - but is the stutter always going to be there unless I make it a fake p5? Or is just because the iPhone 8 Plus is older, and on newer devices it will play smoother?
First, mp4 with dvhe flag is not even playable by Apple's native player, you can only play that with third-party APP like Infuse/plex.
Second, fake p5 is fine, Apple use it in their own ATV screensavers. The dolby windows app can play it, LG TV can play it.
https://sylvan.apple.com/Aerials/2x/entries.json

If you really don't want that, you can either: remove DV header (which won't do DV on anything)

ffmpeg -i p8.dvhe.mp4 -c copy -vtag hvc1 hvc1.mp4
or convert to p8.1 hvc1 with DV(which won't do DV on Apple)

mp4box -add dv.hevc:dv-profile=8.1 -new p81.hvc1.mp4
staknhalo wrote:
It's like even though DVHE it sees it's Dolby Vision and is just stuttering on the metadata on playback even if not displaying the RPU
It's very likely that whatever the player you are using to decode DVHE is processing the video on its own, instead of hand them properly to Apple's player core. That's why I never use third part player on iOS.
Last edited by sw5163 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

sw5163 wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:34 pm
or convert to p8.1 hvc1 with DV(which won't do DV on Apple)

That's what I'm after for p8 - so like DVHE/DVH1, it's a HEV1/HVC1 issue - but only with Dolby Vision files - but yet HEV1 files not Dolby Vision play fine - only HEV1 with Dolby Vision - any clue as to why besides just the way it is (according to Apple)? Edit: No, HEV1 even without Dolby Vision stutters. I have a lot of work to do :?

Edit: Found this :
'hvc1' stores all parameter sets inside the MP4 container below the sample description boxes. 'hev1' stores all parameter sets in band (inside the HEVC stream).

The parameter sets are essentially mandatory metadata necessary to decode the streams.

So you have two slightly different ways of muxing HEVC into MP4.

I'd choose based on the play out and transport scenario.

Your player or your transport specification may require one or the other.
sw5163 wrote:
It's very likely that whatever the player you are using to decode DVHE is processing the video on its own, instead of hand them properly to Apple's player core. That's why I never use third part player on iOS.
Plex for Android/iOS - Windows is just native Windows Store apps with Dolby Vision plugin simply to verify RPU alignment/sound and audio in sync/etc
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:41 pm
Edit: Found this :
Yes, that's the reason mp4muxer/mp4dovi from github resulting in black screen.
Change fourcc codec in hex is not enough.
staknhalo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:41 pm
That's what I'm after for p8 - so like DVHE/DVH1, it's a HEV1/HVC1 issue - but only with Dolby Vision files - but yet HEV1 files not Dolby Vision play fine - only HEV1 with Dolby Vision - any clue as to why besides just the way it is (according to Apple)? Edit: No, HEV1 even without Dolby Vision stutters. I have a lot of work to do :?
You can regard players that play hev1/dvhe are first doing "software decoding", then pass them to Apple's player core.
While hvc1/dvh1 pass directly to Apple's player core and do "hardware decoding".
staknhalo wrote:
Or is just because the iPhone 8 Plus is older, and on newer devices it will play smoother
No, iPhone 8 Plus use A11 bionic and my iPad Pro 2017 use A10x fusion, they are way sufficient enough to play DV.
In fact, I think if Dolby allow Apple to play FEL, they can play even 4K 60 fps FEL and 4K 120fps MEL. (8K should have a problem though)
Last edited by sw5163 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

sw5163 wrote:

Off the top of your head, do you know what the command would be for profile 7 single layer FEL, if supported? Just:

mp4box -add dv.hevc:dv-profile=7 -new p7.hvc1.mp4
Edit: Yes that was it

Double edit: No, spits out an p7 mp4, but still hev1

Triple edit: No, I'm a dummy, demux first, don't just go mp4>mp4, it spits out HVC1 though - could I now just hex edit that to DVH1? Let's see.........
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:05 pm
Off the top of your head
No idea what that means.
staknhalo wrote:
do you know what the command would be for profile 7 single layer FEL, if supported? Just:
Apple doesn't support FEL, only MEL.
I have done all the possible conversions I could think of.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

staknhalo wrote:
sw5163 wrote:

Off the top of your head, do you know what the command would be for profile 7 single layer FEL, if supported? Just:

mp4box -add dv.hevc:dv-profile=7 -new p7.hvc1.mp4
Edit: Yes that was it

Double edit: No, spits out an p7 mp4, but still hev1

Triple edit: No, I'm a dummy, demux first, don't just go mp4>mp4, it spits out HVC1 though - could I now just hex edit that to DVH1? Let's see.........
This is working with single layer FEL p7

Playback is smooth on iOS/iPhone 8 Plus as just HDR10, triggers Dolby Vision on Android TV - both RPU on just SHIELD (doesn't support FEL) - and FEL and RPU on Tivo Stream 4k

Used Game of Thrones UHD FEL and Reset's Clockwork Orange FEL test file to confirm

Just hex edit fist HVC1 to DVH1 in hex editor after p7.mp4 output from mp4box (probably not needed, as I believe Android just reads from the HEV stream - but this way will show 'dvh1' codec ID in mediainfo)

https://mega.nz/file/kGJwiBaL#XUH0tvI1J ... 9gHNfYZHKo
Last edited by staknhalo on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:10 pm
Just hex edit fist HVC1 to DVH1 in hex editor after p7.mp4 output from mp4box
You can just use

mp4box -add BL_RPU.hevc:dv-profile=f7 -new p7.dvh1.mp4
And yes it will play MEL, but please don't do this.
sw5163 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:11 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:15 pm
@ragico just tested and it's working in MP4 P8 DVH1 + LPCM audio.
Like I posted last month
sw5163 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:04 pm
mp4box with following command can also get dolby vision to work:
mp4box -add BL_RPU.hevc -new p5.dvh1.mp4
mp4box -add BL_RPU.hevc:dv-profile=8.1 -new p8.hvc1.mp4(this doesn't work, it's a SMB bug)
mp4box -add BL_RPU.hevc:dv-profile=f8.1 -new p8.dvh1.mp4
But fake p5.dvh1 is the most stable way, it guarantee DV play.
Besides there are official release use fake p5.dvh1(those Apple TV screensaver).
And I've never seen p8 with dvh1 except from my experiment result.
So I think it's better for us to just stick to fake p5.dvh1 for now.
Also p8.dvh1 seems to let Apple think it's an HLG, video significantly darker than normal on my iPad.
p7.dvh1 play properly. Let's not make this even more complicated.
p7.dvh1 is never used by any release.
And if you are playing a true FEL on ATV and it shows DV, it's fake, RPU is not used.

There is "reshaping" data inside FEL RPU that needs to be removed to play MEL on ATV.
I don't know how to explain this easily, you will need to read around Page P455 and P460 to figure it out.
Last edited by sw5163 on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

It's for my own file consistency, while maintaining broad playback compatibility, it's better for me and my own collection this way

mp4box -add BL_RPU.hevc:dv-profile=f7 -new p7.dvh1.mp4
ok that's what I was missing, thanks

Here's Reset's Clockwork Orange FEL test made with that for anyone who wants it (tested separately and confirmed again just to make sure on iPhone 8 Plus/SHIELD/Tivo Stream 4K)

https://mega.nz/file/8bAAERgS#RV3DLJf7F ... 0P6QGMFWCc

I don't care about getting Dolby Vision from FEL files to play in Dolby Vision on iOS - I'm fine with FEL as HDR10 playback only on iOS - but unless you do all this (to make HVC1/DVH1) just HDR10 playback on iOS will be choppy still - that's what this was all about for me

So now on Android - P5 and P8 and P7 will play as so - Windows P5 and P8 will play as so, while P7 will be HDR10 only - and on iOS P5 will play as so, while P8 and P7 will play as HDR10 only (but without choppiness) - this is what this achieved for me and what I wanted

Before, when things were DVHE/HEV1, on Android and Windows things were like above, but EVERYTHING was choppy on iOS no matter what
Last edited by staknhalo on Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.