Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
pianoaccurate

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by pianoaccurate »

Thanks Gatorman, that spreadsheet is why I figured the sony x800m2 was the way to go. But there is no mention of UB820, and it's been difficult to find much discussion about it. Is this just because it's more expensive so fewer people bother to go that route, or is there something negative to it and it should be avoided?
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

Gatorman wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:13 am
I would like to generate DV metadata, with DaVinci Resolve, for files I've already used madVR on. Is it necessary to remove DV from the files before creating a prores (MOV) file?
No
Resolve will discard.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:53 am
Gatorman wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:13 am
I would like to generate DV metadata, with DaVinci Resolve, for files I've already used madVR on. Is it necessary to remove DV from the files before creating a prores (MOV) file?
No
Resolve will discard.
actually, it's the dovi_tool that will discard the old rpu when you'll inject the new one. The RPU gets removed when you convert to prores so Resolve wont even know the original had metadata(it wouldnt matter if it had metadata anyway).
pianoaccurate wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:22 am
Thanks Gatorman, that spreadsheet is why I figured the sony x800m2 was the way to go. But there is no mention of UB820, and it's been difficult to find much discussion about it. Is this just because it's more expensive so fewer people bother to go that route, or is there something negative to it and it should be avoided?
From what i can read about the UB820, it has poor file playback compatibility.
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

I've used EAE to encode 5.1 audio tracks (DTS XLL to EC3). Is there a way to set the bit rate?
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
jayper

Post by jayper »

Has anyone had to enter an active area offset for a film in which the aspect ratio changes scene to scene? I saw that there was some discussion about IMAX films earlier in the thread, but this wasn't covered.

Is it possible?

Tangentially related, if I am playing all my files back using TS files and an Oppo, is the active area even respected/used? Sorry if this has been asked/answered before. The thread has gotten quite long.
Gatorman

Post by Gatorman »

jayper wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:48 pm
Has anyone had to enter an active area offset for a film in which the aspect ratio changes scene to scene? I saw that there was some discussion about IMAX films earlier in the thread, but this wasn't covered.

Is it possible?

Tangentially related, if I am playing all my files back using TS files and an Oppo, is the active area even respected/used? Sorry if this has been asked/answered before. The thread has gotten quite long.
From what I understand, if you are using the original RPU there is no reason to edit the active area. If you are using madVR to generate DV metadata, it will not make a difference. If you are using Resolve, you have to edit the blanking for each scene to match the active area. RESET_9999 has a YouTube video showing this very thing.
More reasons to collect physical media. 2019 Shield TV Pro.
jayper

Post by jayper »

That's interesting. As a test, I extracted the raw RPU and reviewed it. I don't see any offset areas set in the Profile 5, untouched RPU. So, I wasn't sure.

As another test, I didn't set an offset area and it looks like everything played fine on the Oppo. It seems to ignore the offset area. But it would be good to have that confirmed.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Gatorman wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:48 am
I've used EAE to encode 5.1 audio tracks (DTS XLL to EC3). Is there a way to set the bit rate?
dont use EAE when the input is 5.1 or 2.0. Use 6-3-4 and you will have the option to set the bitrate and the encoding will be much faster. ( you can also batch encode up to 13 files with this workflow)
in the next version, I'll add the option to use ffmpeg when 5.1/2.0 input is detected for EAE (6-3-5). This is already the behavior for all the other DDP workflows (mode.I mode.f mode.h ).
jayper wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:03 pm
As another test, I didn't set an offset area and it looks like everything played fine on the Oppo. It seems to ignore the offset area. But it would be good to have that confirmed.
Yes, so far, all the HDMI devices ignore L5 active area so it doesnt matter to them and the letterbox will appears raised if the content is lifted above 0.025 while devices that use L5 will be fine(TVs internal players)
"Avoid using positive values over 0.025 on the LIFT trim control for letterboxed content. (Negative Lift values are acceptable on all versions). The
current implementation on Ultra HD Blu-ray devices apply the Trims to the entire image area, including the letterbox blanking area, to allow subtitles to
appear over them. If the scene contains positive Lift values over 0.025, this may cause the letterboxed area to have elevated black levels during playback.
An alternate way to achieve the desired result is to use a combination of GAIN and GAMMA trims more aggressively as these controls are
manipulating the tone curve to achieve a more lifted black effect without using Lift. You can also choose to go back and modify your original HDR
content to lift the blacks slightly and then re-analyze and trim without the need to have a positive value on the Lift trim over 0.025. If the active image
area matches the canvas aspect ratio, (i.e. there is no letterbox), positive Lift can be used."

"Dolby Vision, by design, has metadata (L0/L5) that describes the active image area and the portion of the image that has a letterbox (or blanking).
Dolby Vision mapping algorithms (and subsequently playback devices) are designed to apply mapping only in the active image area.
This works well for many devices but on HDMI-based devices like set-top boxes and Blu-ray players, this metadata is ignored as the
letterbox or blanking areas of the image are used to present subtitles and other graphics to the end user. Due to this implementation
on these devices, any positive lift applied to Dolby Vision content during the “trim pass,” will raise the black levels in the
letterbox/blanking areas of the image and can become distracting to the end user. Dolby recommends a maximum positive lift
value of 0.025 while doing the trims on letterboxed content during the Dolby Vision content creation process"
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

reset_9999

sometimes the tool says that the file doesn't excist. but the mkv file is there. what is the reason?

https://ibb.co/j5FYMbC
userr

Post by userr »

ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:14 am
quietvoid wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:36 am
ragico wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:14 pm
@quietvoid
Please can you share your latest kodi build?
Thank you
https://mega.nz/file/dd9ywRTT#rjmXux78H ... fN3DERxd_0
Thank you. Very kind.
Im interested, what is special with this kodi build? thanks
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

kazuma wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 pm
I don't know, never happened to me, which workflow?
I don't recognize it in the picture(post full log instead).

FYI you never have to answer "n" . you can always just skip by pressing enter which is the same of answering "n"
ragico

Post by ragico »

userr wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:28 pm
ragico wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:14 am
Thank you. Very kind.
Im interested, what is special with this kodi build? thanks
Very stable and without the hassle of other builds.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 1:54 pm
kazuma wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 pm
I don't know, never happened to me, which workflow?
I don't recognize it in the picture(post full log instead).

FYI you never have to answer "n" . you can always just skip by pressing enter which is the same of answering "n"
4-2-2 or my lg oled c9.

mediainfo of the movie: Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

must i try a another combination perphaps?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

kazuma wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:28 pm
4-2-2 or my lg oled c9.
I cannot reproduce!
your picture doesnt really make sense because it shows ffmpeg. There is no ffmpeg code in the script there.
Anyway, the best practice is always to work with an untouched bluray disc and not some random torrent mkv remux(there's a reason why FGT is banned on most trackers).
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:39 pm
kazuma wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:28 pm
4-2-2 or my lg oled c9.
I cannot reproduce!
your picture doesnt really make sense because it shows ffmpeg. There is no ffmpeg code in the script there.
Anyway, the best practice is always to work with an untouched bluray disc and not some random torrent mkv remux(there's a reason why FGT is banned on most trackers).
Then i'll do that from now on. What is the combination for my lg c9 with your newest tool?