Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
chros

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by chros »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:20 am
Just got the x700 today. Notice one issue: when I start playing a dolby vision file from an external hdd connected to the x700, the tv goes blank and shows no signal for a few seconds before the film actually start playing. Any fix for that? My TV is LG OLED C9.
That's normal, the TV switches refresh rate to maintain judder free playback.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

chros wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:38 am
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 11:20 am
Just got the x700 today. Notice one issue: when I start playing a dolby vision file from an external hdd connected to the x700, the tv goes blank and shows no signal for a few seconds before the film actually start playing. Any fix for that? My TV is LG OLED C9.
That's normal, the TV switches refresh rate to maintain judder free playback.
Thanks.

By the way, I leave Dolby Vision setting On, and notice: SDR contents play correctly without being converted to Dolby Vision, HDR10 content will appear muted in term of colors, and Dolby Vision contents seem to play correctly as Dolby Vision (my tv is lg oled c9 and the dolby vision tag appears, indicating dolby vision content is playing). This surprised me as I read before that enabling Dolby Vision on the x700 will force Dolby Vision on all the contents?

Another thing: subtitles that come with some movies are too bright in hdr. Is it possible to use external subtitles? Will their brightness be lower if I do?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm
By the way, I leave Dolby Vision setting On, and notice: SDR contents play correctly without being converted to Dolby Vision, HDR10 content will appear muted in term of colors, and Dolby Vision contents seem to play correctly as Dolby Vision (my tv is lg oled c9 and the dolby vision tag appears, indicating dolby vision content is playing). This surprised me as I read before that enabling Dolby Vision on the x700 will force Dolby Vision on all the contents?

Another thing: subtitles that come with some movies are too bright in hdr. Is it possible to use external subtitles? Will their brightness be lower if I do?
Wow after months (if not years) of questions about the x700, you finally got one lol...
It will convert sdr/hdr10 to DV when the video is: BD, TS, M2TS or BDMV folder. So MKV files play in the native dynamic range but then TrueHD no longer works.
rkjnsn wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:40 am
Thanks! That's helpful. Any idea whether those also happen with the x700? Any chance it could be worked around by flagging 2.0 and 7.1 streams as 5.1 in the transport stream?
never noticed an audio issue on the x700 with TS DV files.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:01 pm
Wow after months (if not years) of questions about the x700, you finally got one lol...
Yeah lol mainly because I have to wait for the rest of the home theater to arrive. Covid has caused terrible shortages in my country.
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:01 pm
It will convert sdr/hdr10 to DV when the video is: BD, TS, M2TS or BDMV folder. So MKV files play in the native dynamic range but then TrueHD no longer works.
I tested two hdr10 films: Black Widow (original bluray structure converted to bdmv folder using tsmuxer) & Raya and the Last Dragon (mkv remux converted to bdmv folder using tsmuxer). When I play them on the x700 with Dolby Vision left ON, both are not converted to Dolby Vision; instead, the colors on them appear muted, like when you play an hdr film on an sdr display without any conversion. Turning off Dolby Vision and those films will play in HDR correctly.

Some more observations:
-For hdr movies, subtitles appear too bright. This is not the case with dolby vision movies.
-When I play mp4 dolby vision file (the book of boba fett season 1 episode 1), it stutters at certain points.
-We can't fast forward or rewind to an exact point of a movie (like what we can do on pc)?
Last edited by deadchip12 on Tue May 17, 2022 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm
I converted the mkv remux version of Raya and the Last Dragon (2021), which only supports hdr10, to bdmv folder and when I play it on the x700 and Dolby Vision left ON, it's not converted to Dolby Vision; instead, the colors are muted, like when you play an hdr film on a sdr display without any conversion. Turning off Dolby Vision and the film will play in HDR correctly.
strange ...
are you sure the mkv you remuxed wasn't profile 8 hybrid? I think P8 muxed in BDMV plays in SDR on the x700.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 5:15 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm
I converted the mkv remux version of Raya and the Last Dragon (2021), which only supports hdr10, to bdmv folder and when I play it on the x700 and Dolby Vision left ON, it's not converted to Dolby Vision; instead, the colors are muted, like when you play an hdr film on a sdr display without any conversion. Turning off Dolby Vision and the film will play in HDR correctly.
strange ...
are you sure the mkv you remuxed wasn't profile 8 hybrid? I think P8 muxed in BDMV plays in SDR on the x700.
I edited my comment above after I did some more tests.

I tested two hdr10 films: Black Widow (original bluray structure converted to bdmv folder using tsmuxer) & Raya and the Last Dragon (mkv remux converted to bdmv folder using tsmuxer). When I play them on the x700 with Dolby Vision left ON, both are not converted to Dolby Vision; instead, the colors on them appear muted, like when you play an hdr film on an sdr display without any conversion. Turning off Dolby Vision and those films will play in HDR correctly.

How do I check the profile of the file I have?

Some more observations:
-For hdr movies, subtitles appear too bright. This is not the case with dolby vision movies.
-When I play mp4 dolby vision file (the book of boba fett season 1 episode 1), it stutters at certain points. Converting the file to ts seems to fix it. And the subtitle works. But it's too bright, despite being in dolby vision.
-We can't fast forward or rewind to an exact point of a movie (like what we can do on pc)?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

profile:
mediainfo + text view = HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

MP4: read the spreadsheet in my signature
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:06 pm
profile:
mediainfo + text view = HDR format : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

MP4: read the spreadsheet in my signature
Thaks. I will check the dv profile of those films later and report back.

Regarding your spreadsheet, does the bdmv trick works for all dv profiles or just dual track dual layer?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 pm
Regarding your spreadsheet, does the bdmv trick works for all dv profiles or just dual track dual layer?
yes BDMV is for dual-track dual-layer files

BDMV is ideal for FEL DV movies. For all the MEL bluray or Hybrid DV releases, profile 8 TS is the best you can get on the x700 (bug-free).
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:05 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 6:27 pm
yes BDMV is for dual-track dual-layer files

BDMV is ideal for FEL DV movies. For all the MEL bluray or Hybrid DV releases, profile 8 TS is the best you can get on the x700 (bug-free).
Most, if not all, of the profile 7 Dolby Vision films that I see show Video #1 and Video #2. Does this mean they are dual track? Is there any particular film that is profile 7 single track?
stn17

Post by stn17 »

It's not really correct place to ask, but I figure the best, since many of you did analyze various aspect of streaming services content.

Is lossy dolby atmos from streaming mixed the same way as lossless dolby atmos from disk?

In other words, which one is better:

Dolby vision FEL + Dolby Atmos DD+ from streaming
Dolby vision FEL + 5.1 DD+ 1536kb/s from Dolby Atmos 7.1 disk track
ArArdin

Post by ArArdin »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:15 am
Most, if not all, of the profile 7 Dolby Vision films that I see show Video #1 and Video #2. Does this mean they are dual track? Is there any particular film that is profile 7 single track?
DV profile 7 is intended for UHDBD. It holds a base-layer and enhancement layer, which are muxed as separate videotracks in a m2ts container. So indeed that is called "dual track dual layer". I've never seen a Dolby Vision UHDBD that has one videotrack. MP4 can also be muxed as dual track dual layer.

Software like MakeMKV interleaves the two layers into one videotrack. The result still is a DV profile 7 mkv, but obviously now it's called "single track dual layer".
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Does anyone know a way to reduce the brightness of subtitles in hdr? They are blinding in dark scenes.
uhdiznotenough4mee

Post by uhdiznotenough4mee »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 am
Does anyone know a way to reduce the brightness of subtitles in hdr? They are blinding in dark scenes.
Thanks to quietvoid you can use this great tool: https://github.com/quietvoid/subtitle_tonemap

- put "BDSup2Sub512.jar" inside the folder with "subtitle_tonemap.exe"

- example of usage: subtitle_tonemap.exe "folder_with_pgs_subs" -o "folder_with_tonemapped_subs" -p 62

- the path to folders with .pgs subs should end without "\"
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

uhdiznotenough4mee wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:48 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 am
Thanks to quietvoid you can use this great tool: https://github.com/quietvoid/subtitle_tonemap

- put "BDSup2Sub512.jar" inside the folder with "subtitle_tonemap.exe"

- example of usage: subtitle_tonemap.exe "folder_with_pgs_subs" -o "folder_with_tonemapped_subs" -p 62

- the path to folders with .pgs subs should end without "\"
sorry but I downloaded the zip file but there's no subtitle_tonemap.exe. Could you let me know where it is?

Also, how do we extract the pgs sub and reattach the tonemapped version to the film afterwards?
Last edited by deadchip12 on Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.