Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
djanvi2020

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by djanvi2020 »

I do need a little help from whoever made that Dolby Vision Tools script,

Can i just say HOW AMAZING IS THAT SCRIPT.

One particular time i was able to have Spiderman Far From Home in Dolby TrueHD and DV in the one file under TS i think when it automatically brought up Mkvmerge for me but.....

Thing is i forgot the workflow on how to do that, i totally forgot it, can someone please remind me the workflow for it cause atm I have been using MP4 and in DD+ and thats been fine but i much prefer the TS version.

i have the new version 10 one can anyone help me remind me on the workflow i have to use???
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

djanvi2020 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 12:24 pm
One particular time i was able to have Spiderman Far From Home in Dolby TrueHD and DV in the one file under TS i think when it automatically brought up Mkvmerge for me but.....
Thing is i forgot the workflow on how to do that, i totally forgot it, can someone please remind me the workflow for it cause atm I have been using MP4 and in DD+ and thats been fine but i much prefer the TS version.
i have the new version 10 one can anyone help me remind me on the workflow i have to use???
I assume you want a profile 8 TS file??
Bluray disc to P8: MODE.P7 ===> MODE.1 ===> Workflow.2
MKV P7 DV to P8: MODE.P7 ===> MODE.2 ===> Workflow.4

if you want tsmuxer to popup after the process, you have to edit the bat file with notepad and set tsmuxer.popup=YES and the other muxer to NO
default is set to noGUIpopup=YES ... not sure why your version default to mkvtoolnix.

shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

@RESET_9999

Not sure if you already tested this, but apparently there's a new developer setting in the latest Shield firmware that lets you toggle on a "default to rec.709" setting for hd videos that fixes the Shield's color issues (not sure if it's the red push specifically). Might be worth a test if you haven't tried it already? See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK-L2Rx7P0A
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:33 pm
@RESET_9999

Not sure if you already tested this, but apparently there's a new developer setting in the latest Shield firmware that lets you toggle on a "default to rec.709" setting for hd videos that fixes the Shield's color issues (not sure if it's the red push specifically). Might be worth a test if you haven't tried it already? See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK-L2Rx7P0A
It looks like he's talking about SDR ?
The shield never had color issues with SDR/HDR10... It's the PLEX app that has color issues and only in SDR. HDR10 is fine.
If you use the apps like kodi, netflix, disney plus, MA, vudu etc, the colors in SDR are accurate.
here's how the color shift in SDR using the PLEX app on the shield: https://slow.pics/c/In4cvIsi

I'm still going to test the new firmware when I get home but with the pattern I did, anyone can test DV now and you cannot miss the issue (unlike the real scene in movies).
DV P8 pattern: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1huJtU6 ... sp=sharing
reference images: https://slow.pics/c/ga3ytybR
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Nop, the colors in SDR are still not right using the PLEX app on the Shield. Also, I was wrong about KODI, it is the same color issue as plex....
PLEX APP SDR VS Movies Anywhere APP SDR VS REFERENCE Bluray SDR remux madvr: https://slow.pics/c/Vi9kn6lB
VEXTEX reported the same REC709 8bit 444 for all the apps. Same issue in 422 12bit REC709

Dolby Vision P8 colors are also still broken on the Shield.

NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 9:53 pm
Nop, the colors in SDR are still not right using the PLEX app on the Shield. Also, I was wrong about KODI, it is the same color issue as plex....
PLEX APP SDR VS Movies Anywhere APP SDR VS REFERENCE Bluray SDR remux madvr: https://slow.pics/c/Vi9kn6lB
VEXTEX reported the same REC709 8bit 444 for all the apps. Same issue in 422 12bit REC709

Dolby Vision P8 colors are also still broken on the Shield.

It looks like, the SDR color bug is solved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK-L2Rx7P0A
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

NiCE77 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:21 am
It looks like, the SDR color bug is solved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK-L2Rx7P0A
huh ? no, it's not and as I said the shield NEVER had SDR color issues. The problem is the plex/kodi app, read my whole post again and not just some part of it. all the proof are there
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:43 am
NiCE77 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:21 am
huh ? no, it's not and as I said the shield NEVER had SDR color issues. The problem is the plex/kodi app, read my whole post again and not just some part of it. all the proof are there
This is what you wrote: "Nop, the colors in SDR are still not right using the PLEX app on the Shield. Also, I was wrong about KODI, it is the same color issue as plex...."

I understand this, please watch again carefully at the linked video. The problem was in Shield, not in Kodi.
The SDR color bug has been corrected by the "Default to Rec.709 for HD videos" in the developer options.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

again, you only read part of my post and not the actual proof... This is just not just my opinion, this is actual data from a lossless capture card /vertex.
the shield has no color issues in SDR and always had the REC709 flag. The issue is the plex / kodi app.
Tormented12

Post by Tormented12 »

Hi all,

I actually have two questions:

1. Editing Active Area
I first started encoding my REMUX's ~ October 2021. I downscale them from 3840x2160 to 1920x1080. I don't use the crop option. I get a 1080p file with DV Layer 08.03. They work fine on my TV using the Shield Pro. Now I was trying to find more information about matching framerates (2nd question), but I also found this about the crop function when reading:

Source video 2160p with letterbox bars:

encoded as 2160p with letterbox bars: don't use crop.
encoded as 2160p and cropped (no more letterbox bars): use crop.
encoded as 1080p with letterbox bars: you need to edit the active area to set the final letterbox bars size as offsets, see documentation.
encoded as 1080p and cropped: use crop.

Since I encode 2160p -> 1080p, with letterbox bars (I don't crop), it is mentioned to edit the active area. I never read this before. How does it work, and why would I need to edit it? When playing the 1080p DV files, it plays fine, and I wont see anything that shouldn't be there? I hope someone can clarify this for me. Also, did this came in later? Also didn't read anthing about it ~October 2021.

2. Matching framerates
Some WEB-DL's have been released in HDR & DV (Like Dawson Creek, Seinfeld). I want to convert the P5 to P8, and inject this into the HDR file. I tried one episode of Dawnson Creek, and it told the framerate isn't matching. How can I match the P8 profile to the HDR file?

Thanks in advance for any answers!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Tormented12 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 12:40 pm
Since I encode 2160p -> 1080p, with letterbox bars (I don't crop), it is mentioned to edit the active area. I never read this before. How does it work, and why would I need to edit it? When playing the 1080p DV files, it plays fine, and I wont see anything that shouldn't be there? I hope someone can clarify this for me. Also, did this came in later? Also didn't read anthing about it ~October 2021.
it plays fine on shield (or any hdmi device) because they ignore L5 active area... If you play your encode in an LG OLED internal player and if you left the active area untouched (for 2160p), your video will be overcropped.

Example: if the UHD video has L5 top/bottom 280/280 and you apply that to a 1080p video, the TV will display: 1920X520.

So you just have to edit the Active area to match the new resolution. To do that , just divide the number by two. L5 becomes: 140/140 and the TV will display correctly 1920x800.

if you crop, just set L5 0,0 and crop=true
Tormented12

Post by Tormented12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:06 pm
it plays fine on shield (or any hdmi device) because they ignore L5 active area... If you play your encode in an LG OLED internal player and if you left the active area untouched (for 2160p), your video will be overcropped.

Example: if the UHD video has L5 top/bottom 280/280 and you apply that to a 1080p video, the TV will display: 1920X520.

So you just have to edit the Active area to match the new resolution. To do that , just divide the number by two. L5 becomes: 140/140 and the TV will display correctly 1920x800.

if you crop, just set L5 0,0 and crop=true
Ahh alright. So whenever the content is played using a External Media Player (Shield, AppleTV and sort), it doesn't matter? Only when the internal player is used, is causes problems?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yes, exactly and in my opinion, DV will be better/more accurate when you use the internal TVs player.
Tormented12

Post by Tormented12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:15 pm
yes, exactly and in my opinion, DV will be better/more accurate when you use the internal TVs player.
Possible, but I keep the Lossless audiotrack, only the Shield uses passthrough for that. If I share my Plex libriary then I external mediaplayer would be neceassary for them, or they just the HD share:+.

Do you have any tips on how I can match framerates for my second question? Regarding WEB-DL's which have a HDR & DV release? I would like to inject the RPU in the HDR, but I don't have clear how to determine what to do to match the framerate.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I dont know, I never tried that.