Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
quietvoid

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by quietvoid »

By the way, since now the Firestick 4K Max allows disabling HDR.
Playing profile 5 files results in proper SDR colors.
samlop10

Post by samlop10 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 am
samlop10 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:45 am
FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:15 am

That's a good question. I don't know if the hardware would be capable of simultaneously decoding the extra HEVC stream with the FEL video, but I think the main problem is that it's not allowed. My understanding is that since profile 7 is only found on UHDBD discs, Dolby will only licence the decoding code to be used in UHDBD players.

That's a shame, but thank you very much for checking.
That would make sense. Although, the players aren’t cheap at all (cheapest one of the new ones is $900 USD) so maybe there’s a small chance they were able to include it (they either payed for the license specifically for FEL or they reversed engineered it like you mentioned)?

Still, I definitely don’t disagree with what you said. And it wouldn’t surprise me if it still downgrades FEL to MEL after all. I’ll keep an eye out to see the results once they are released but I’m not getting my hopes up too much.
Doesn’t have the physical capability to process 2 video streams simultaneously- Confirmed by Zidoo devs, Dune players have the same chipset also and they just process RPU and disregard FEL also.
Damn. Thanks for the confirmation regardless.
mamelem

Post by mamelem »

Trying to get Dolby Vision m2ts to play on x800m2 but running into issues. Would really appreciate some tips/help.

Here is what I have tried:
1. Use MakeMKV to get Dolby Vision MKV.
2. Use eac3to to extract Atmos track(thd+ac3) from the MKV.
3. Use tsmuxeR to mux the MKV from 1) and Atmos track from 2) together into .m2ts file.

However, when I try to play the resulting m2ts file on x800m2 via DLNA(wifi), I just get a black screen and DV is not working. If I turn off DV in the x800m2 settings, then the m2ts just play in SDR, not even falling back to HDR10.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Just noticed the new Firestick 4K Max has grey letterbox bars with cropped Dolby Vision content.
Not cool, since it can also mean L2 is ignored.
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

mamelem wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:20 pm
Trying to get Dolby Vision m2ts to play on x800m2 but running into issues. Would really appreciate some tips/help.

3. Use tsmuxeR to mux the MKV from 1) and Atmos track from 2) together into .m2ts file.

However, when I try to play the resulting m2ts file on x800m2 via DLNA(wifi), I just get a black screen and DV is not working. If I turn off DV in the x800m2 settings, then the m2ts just play in SDR, not even falling back to HDR10.
Have you tried opening the backed up m2ts file in tsmuxer and creating a new ts/m2ts file? That's what I do when I want to play DV files on my x700, there's no need to create a mkv file.
mamelem

Post by mamelem »

TickTock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:33 am
mamelem wrote:

Have you tried opening the backed up m2ts file in tsmuxer and creating a new ts/m2ts file? That's what I do when I want to play DV files on my x700, there's no need to create a mkv file.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try.
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

I've downloaded two different 4K web-dls, one is a DV mp4 file and the other is a HDR mkv file with an added lossless track. I'm trying to use both to create a DV file with lossless audio.

I use this ffmpeg command:

ffmpeg -i File.mp4 -c:v copy -vbsf hevc_mp4toannexb -f hevc Out.hevc

To extract the video from the DV mp4 file, I then add that file to tsmuxer along with the mkv file (deselecting the mkv video) and I'm left with the DV video file and the lossless audio. I created both a ts file and a m2ts file as a test, the newly created files don't show as having a video track in mkvtoolnix or VLC player. I tested a couple of minutes using my X700 and they play perfectly but with grey bars.

I'm hoping someone can answer these questions.

1: Does the video track not showing in mkvtoolnix and VLC indicate a problem or is it normal?
2: Is there a better way to extract the DV video track from the mp4 file? tsmuxer doesn't open the mp4 file.
3: I've read profile 5 DV plays back perfectly on the Shield Pro 2019, no colour issues or grey bars. Can someone confirm this?
4: Can the grey bars cause burn in?
mamelem

Post by mamelem »

TickTock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:33 am
mamelem wrote:

Ok, I tried this route and now x800m2 can successfully switch to DV.

However, after pressing “Display”, it shows that the output resolution is only 1080p and not 4K (even though x800m2 list the source as 4K DV). When testing the original UHD, x800m2 can successfully output 4K.

I’m confused on what went wrong. From my understanding, since UHD DV are dual layers, I included the 1080p layer when remuxing into a new m2ts when using tsmuxeR.
chros

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:23 am
I don't know why you're quiet about it but you should scream out loud that you updated your DV tools to generate DV metadata for ANY HDR10 MOVIE using madVR measurements lol
+1 , amazing work, just generated a profile 08.06 from an HDR10 sample, plays fine with internal Plex app: 04-2160p_23fps_dovi_p81-l_s02e01_cyan_error.ts

madvr output:

Code: Select all

Metadata:
  Mastering display luminance: 0.0001/1000, gamut: 0.68 0.32, 0.15 0.06, 0.265 0.69, 0.3127 0.329
  MaxCLL: 999, MaxFALL: 678 nits
Measurements:
  Frames: 2160, MaxCLL 100%: 1680, 99.9%: 1545, MaxFALL: 58, AvgFALL: 9, AvgFMLL: 524 nits
generator_madvr.json:

{
    "length": 1000,
    "level2": [
        {
            "target_nits": 1000
        }
    ],
    "level6": {
        "max_display_mastering_luminance": 1000,
        "min_display_mastering_luminance": 1,
        "max_content_light_level": 1000,
        "max_frame_average_light_level": 58
    }
}
process:

# run madvr madmeasure on the mkv file
# generate RPU from madmeasure bin file
dovi_tool.exe generate -j generator_madvr.json --madvr-file l_0201.bin -o RPU_from_madVR.bin
# extract hevc video and audio with mkvextract
# inject the generated RPU into stream
dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i video.hevc --rpu-in RPU_from_madVR.bin -o injected_output.hevc
# mux together with tsmuxer
quietvoid wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Tested some files on the new FireTV Stick 4K Max.
Still has trouble with HDR10+ ending up with a black screen when Dolby Vision is triggered.
quietvoid wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:57 am
Just noticed the new Firestick 4K Max has grey letterbox bars with cropped Dolby Vision content.
Is this with from official apps as well (ATV+, Disney+, etc)?
That's a problem, probably never will be fixed :)
quietvoid wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:03 pm
What do you mean about this? Does it do DoVi HDR to SDR tonemapping?

Edit: what happens with the "min_pq" L1 metadata during madmeasure2RPU generation? Will it be always 0? (I don't think that madvr's bin file has any info about it.)
Edit2: sample uploaded
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

chros wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:44 am
quietvoid wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Tested some files on the new FireTV Stick 4K Max.
Still has trouble with HDR10+ ending up with a black screen when Dolby Vision is triggered.
quietvoid wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:57 am
Is this with from official apps as well (ATV+, Disney+, etc)?
That's a problem, probably never will be fixed :)
I don't know since I'm not subscribed to ATV+ currently. Disney+ does not crop their video.
What's interesting though is that Hulu serves both HDR10+ and DoVi together and there were no complaints.

chros wrote:
quietvoid wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:03 pm
What do you mean about this? Does it do DoVi HDR to SDR tonemapping?
Yes, profile 5 files get tonemapped to SDR and look fine.

chros wrote:
Edit: what happens with the "min_pq" L1 metadata during madmeasure2RPU generation? Will it be always 0? (I don't think that madvr's bin file has any info about it.)
min_pq is always set to 0. This is the same behavior as the HDR10+ derived generation.

edit: I just tested the L2 and it's not ignored at least..
Last edited by quietvoid on Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

mamelem wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:13 am

However, after pressing “Display”, it shows that the output resolution is only 1080p and not 4K (even though x800m2 list the source as 4K DV). When testing the original UHD, x800m2 can successfully output 4K.

I’m confused on what went wrong. From my understanding, since UHD DV are dual layers, I included the 1080p layer when remuxing into a new m2ts when using tsmuxeR.
What version of tsmuxer are you using? At one stage only nightly versions worked, I don't know if that has changed but here's the version I've been using:

https://easyupload.io/vsxlud

Have you tried playing the newly created files off a drive?
You're right, both layers should be left as is.
mamelem

Post by mamelem »

TickTock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:44 pm
mamelem wrote:

What version of tsmuxer are you using? At one stage only nightly versions worked, I don't know if that has changed but here's the version I've been using:

Connected x800m2 directly to TV instead of receiver fixed the issue. Guess it’s a bandwidth issue? Interesting that remuxed m2ts apparently takes up more bandwidth than UHD.
TickTock

Post by TickTock »

mamelem wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:52 pm
TickTock wrote:
mamelem wrote:

Connected x800m2 directly to TV instead of receiver fixed the issue. Guess it’s a bandwidth issue? Interesting that remuxed m2ts apparently takes up more bandwidth than UHD.
Do you have a "4K Signal Format" setting on your AVR? If so, is it set to "Enhanced"?
mamelem

Post by mamelem »

TickTock wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:59 pm
mamelem wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:52 pm
TickTock wrote:

Do you have a "4K Signal Format" setting on your AVR? If so, is it set to "Enhanced"?
Oh wow, that’s it. Thanks!
These AV hardware keeps surprising me with important settings buried in menus lol.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:23 pm

I don't know since I'm not subscribed to ATV+ currently. Disney+ does not crop their video.
What's interesting though is that Hulu serves both HDR10+ and DoVi together and there were no complaints.
wow, so they removed the ability to play properly DV cropped content on the new Firestick, that is a really stupid move since everything on iTunes or Prime is cropped.
The last time I checked , HULU content is not cropped as well. (they have ridiculously low bitrate though )