Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Manixx2020beyound

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

staknhalo wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:17 pm
Also it's complicated to keep it in sync with the BL.
Yeah as I mentioned previously, I have not been able to encode a single BL and mux back in its FEL (or even convert that FEL+then encoded BL to 8 ) without there being RPU sync errors/flashes in the file, somewhere, eventually (not always right at the start nor constant). I've tried x265/ffmpeg/though Staxrip UI/Handbrake/various encode settings multiple times/different rip and mux tools and differing versions of each program/yusesope's or quietvoid's tool - there's always a RPU errors eventually in a FEL title no matter what I do with it if I first encode the BL. MEL titles with encoded BL or 8 converted from 5 RPU + encoded HDR10 BL or HDR10+ to 8 with encoded BL - no problem whatsoever on any of those titles (I think I'm at mid-50s currently for native Dovi UHD titles I've added to Plex). I know others here say they're doing it, but I somehow am just SOL apparently. So any FEL title I just mux together and leave untouched - using external forced subs works fine in Plex so I don't need to worry about burning them in (main reason for encoding, secondary to the space saving aspect) - and being I have the source PGS subs, timing/spelling is accurate and all that jazz for my external subs, no worries.

Still, sucks being defeated :(
We are not defeated at all, there is a way,
I have just created a flawless copy of power rangers just for this test. FEL is 7gigs on power rangers don’t encode it.
18 gig base layer encode with FEL & RPU
You have to edit the FEL (has the nal unit) in the Rpu to reflect the hevc bl encode and that’s it.
I get no flashes no pixilation perfect alinement. Perfect profile 7 with encoded base layer
Inject the new Rpu into the FEL.
Mux with base layer in ts muxer nightly build & your done.
The hard part is getting a new Rpu.
FEL working on encoded base layer
FEL working on encoded base layer
D7FE8360-006A-4810-813A-D959EEDBEA36.jpeg (391.31 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
Attachments
BC96AF50-7120-4036-A9AE-A0CECD5B5961.jpeg
BC96AF50-7120-4036-A9AE-A0CECD5B5961.jpeg (438.25 KiB) Viewed 11662 times
Last edited by Manixx2020beyound on Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:20 am
staknhalo wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:35 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:17 pm
Also it's complicated to keep it in sync with the BL.
Yeah as I mentioned previously, I have not been able to encode a single BL and mux back in its FEL (or even convert that FEL+then encoded BL to 8 ) without there being RPU sync errors/flashes in the file, somewhere, eventually (not always right at the start nor constant). I've tried x265/ffmpeg/though Staxrip UI/Handbrake/various encode settings multiple times/different rip and mux tools and differing versions of each program/yusesope's or quietvoid's tool - there's always a RPU errors eventually in a FEL title no matter what I do with it if I first encode the BL. MEL titles with encoded BL or 8 converted from 5 RPU + encoded HDR10 BL or HDR10+ to 8 with encoded BL - no problem whatsoever on any of those titles (I think I'm at mid-50s currently for native Dovi UHD titles I've added to Plex). I know others here say they're doing it, but I somehow am just SOL apparently. So any FEL title I just mux together and leave untouched - using external forced subs works fine in Plex so I don't need to worry about burning them in (main reason for encoding, secondary to the space saving aspect) - and being I have the source PGS subs, timing/spelling is accurate and all that jazz for my external subs, no worries.

Still, sucks being defeated :(
We are not defeated at all, there is a way,
I have just created a flawless copy of power rangers just for this test. FEL is 7gigs on power rangers don’t encode it.
18 gig base layer encode with FEL & RPU
You have to edit the FEL (has the nal unit) in the Rpu to reflect the hevc bl encode and that’s it.
I get no flashes no pixilation perfect alinement. Perfect profile 7 with encoded base layer
Inject the new Rpu into the FEL.
Mux with base layer in ts muxer nightly build & your done.
The hard part is getting a new Rpu.
whats the hard part about the rpu just cause manual edit needed (that's fine) or only pro tools can output or something?
samlop10

Post by samlop10 »

Has anyone looked at these new players announced from Zappiti? They’re supposed to start shipping around the globe in November. This is the link to one of them:

https://www.zappiti.com/zappiti-neo-dolby-vision

They clearly mention supporting Dolby Vision both in MEL and FEL. They also mention using the ‘latest Realtek RTD1619DR’.

Is there a chance they might actually play the full FEL layer instead of just downgrading it to MEL?

I wouldn’t mind the downgrade at all if the all encodes were good in HDR10, but it seems more and more DV discs in FEL suffer from poor encodes when the FEL layer is ignored. Other than Total Recall, the latest ones to suffer from this are the Halloween 1 - 5 4K releases from Shout! They look great in Dolby Vision w/ FEL, but in HDR10 the encodes start falling apart. Other ones that suffer from this are the Studio Canal releases. They do amazing restorations of older films but the encodes always seem to trip when the DV FEL layer is ignored.

I am currently digitizing my whole blu-ray collection to a NAS and I’m trying to find a way to play DV FEL correctly to not have to compromise on the picture or audio quality. The holy grail seems to be being able to play back DV FEL correctly with all lossless audio options (TrueHD Atmos, etc.).

So at the risk of repeating myself, is there a chance these upcoming players from Zappiti might actually play the full FEL layer instead of just downgrading it to MEL?

They’re pricey, but if they can playback all video and audio formats without compromise they might be worth it.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Tested some files on the new FireTV Stick 4K Max.
Still has trouble with HDR10+ ending up with a black screen when Dolby Vision is triggered.

I couldn't get any of the FEL test files to play correctly without the device just blanking out after a couple seconds.
For some reason actual unmodified P7 FEL files work though.

It might be because with the test files, the EL is not synced properly.
Any other untouched file maybe? I tried the ones on AVS and here: viewtopic.php?p=104113#p104113

Otherwise I guess there might be a use for me to make a proper muxer..
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

samlop10 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:00 pm
They clearly mention supporting Dolby Vision both in MEL and FEL. They also mention using the ‘latest Realtek RTD1619DR’.

Is there a chance they might actually play the full FEL layer instead of just downgrading it to MEL?
I won't get my hopes up. The RTD1619DR is the same chipset that is used in Zidoo's latest generation of devices where it provides support for everything DV except the video data in the FEL (it automatically downgrades to MEL). I guess it's possible that Zappiti have reverse engineered profile 7 to play the full FEL, but since that would be truly unique, I'd expect them to spell that out very explicitly in the marketing if they had done so. :(
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

quietvoid wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 pm
Still has trouble with HDR10+ ending up with a black screen when Dolby Vision is triggered.

I couldn't get any of the FEL test files to play correctly without the device just blanking out after a couple seconds.

Any other untouched file maybe?
Would you be able to try one of the titles where the FEL is obvious (e.g. Power Rangers or Total Recall) to see if it is being used?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

quietvoid wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:59 pm

Any other untouched file maybe? I tried the ones on AVS and here: viewtopic.php?p=104113#p104113

Otherwise I guess there might be a use for me to make a proper muxer..
that's because I did those samples with tsmuxer and it breaks something in the RPU when you split the file. I didn't know about that back then.
As @FubbAyH said, the ending credits of Power Ranger is a better way to verify if FEL is processed.

PS, I don't know why you're quiet about it but you should scream out loud that you updated your DV tools to generate DV metadata for ANY HDR10 MOVIE using madVR measurements lol :D
bye bye HDR10
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:23 am
PS, I don't know why you're quiet about it but you should scream out loud that you updated your DV tools to generate DV metadata for ANY HDR10 MOVIE using madVR measurements lol :D
bye bye HDR10
Because I haven't had the chance to test it. Some of madVR's scenes are very small and might cause flashes.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:37 am
RESET_9999 wrote:
bye bye HDR10
Because I haven't had the chance to test it. Some of madVR's scenes are very small and might cause flashes.
I guess it works the same way as the dynamic target nits algo works for HDR to SDR ? I mean both are based on madvr algo that measures pixels.
If so, I'm using 113b with my PJ (the last version before the time-limited build, I think) and there are rarely any flashes visible ( 98% of movies are fine) so it should be fine. I didn't try yet but I will this weekend.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:16 am
Would you be able to try one of the titles where the FEL is obvious (e.g. Power Rangers or Total Recall) to see if it is being used?
RESET_9999 wrote:
that's because I did those samples with tsmuxer and it breaks something in the RPU when you split the file. I didn't know about that back then.
As @FubbAyH said, the ending credits of Power Ranger is a better way to verify if FEL is processed.
The credits are grey like HDR10, so nothing new.
samlop10

Post by samlop10 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:11 am
samlop10 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:00 pm

I won't get my hopes up. The RTD1619DR is the same chipset that is used in Zidoo's latest generation of devices where it provides support for everything DV except the video data in the FEL (it automatically downgrades to MEL). I guess it's possible that Zappiti have reverse engineered profile 7 to play the full FEL, but since that would be truly unique, I'd expect them to spell that out very explicitly in the marketing if they had done so. :(
Makes sense. So is the RTD1619DR ‘limited’ or is it capable but just not ‘allowed’ by Dolby to use the full FEL data?
FubbAyH

Post by FubbAyH »

samlop10 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:38 am
Makes sense. So is the RTD1619DR ‘limited’ or is it capable but just not ‘allowed’ by Dolby to use the full FEL data?
That's a good question. I don't know if the hardware would be capable of simultaneously decoding the extra HEVC stream with the FEL video, but I think the main problem is that it's not allowed. My understanding is that since profile 7 is only found on UHDBD discs, Dolby will only licence the decoding code to be used in UHDBD players.
quietvoid wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:12 am
That's a shame, but thank you very much for checking.
samlop10

Post by samlop10 »

FubbAyH wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:15 am
samlop10 wrote:
That's a good question. I don't know if the hardware would be capable of simultaneously decoding the extra HEVC stream with the FEL video, but I think the main problem is that it's not allowed. My understanding is that since profile 7 is only found on UHDBD discs, Dolby will only licence the decoding code to be used in UHDBD players.
quietvoid wrote:
That would make sense. Although, the players aren’t cheap at all (cheapest one of the new ones is $900 USD) so maybe there’s a small chance they were able to include it (they either payed for the license specifically for FEL or they reversed engineered it like you mentioned)?

Still, I definitely don’t disagree with what you said. And it wouldn’t surprise me if it still downgrades FEL to MEL after all. I’ll keep an eye out to see the results once they are released but I’m not getting my hopes up too much.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

samlop10 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:45 am
FubbAyH wrote:
samlop10 wrote:
quietvoid wrote:
That would make sense. Although, the players aren’t cheap at all (cheapest one of the new ones is $900 USD) so maybe there’s a small chance they were able to include it (they either payed for the license specifically for FEL or they reversed engineered it like you mentioned)?

Still, I definitely don’t disagree with what you said. And it wouldn’t surprise me if it still downgrades FEL to MEL after all. I’ll keep an eye out to see the results once they are released but I’m not getting my hopes up too much.
Doesn’t have the physical capability to process 2 video streams simultaneously- Confirmed by Zidoo devs, Dune players have the same chipset also and they just process RPU and disregard FEL also.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 6:05 am
samlop10 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 3:45 am
FubbAyH wrote:

Doesn’t have the physical capability to process 2 video streams simultaneously- Confirmed by Zidoo devs, Dune players have the same chipset also and they just process RPU and disregard FEL also.
And you are right, even if the hardware can be hacked like the AM6+ The picture doesn’t look correct because Dolby will not modify and provide the SDK for a Media player, Dolby consider the MKV format to be the embodiment of piracy.