Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
glc650

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by glc650 »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:00 pm
The reshaping process recreates the YCbCr image, with supposedly close to 12 bits equivalent info.
How does that work when only profile 4 and 7 are FEL capable?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

glc650 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:36 pm
The profile 5 proprietary colorspace is more efficient, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICtCp#Characteristics
In reality FEL can also add detail/noise, so they're not the same.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Is anyone else here for FEL titles encoding their HDR10 BL to a smaller size and then making p8 with RPU from EL and also remuxing together with EL again for SL p7 FEL (in different files each, duh-doy - not trying to make that all in 1 file or something)? I'm getting random non-constant color/video artifacting in numerous titles after encoding and making both p8 and p7 SL and the artifacts are not there in the encoded BL (not just Handbrake btw, I've tried ffmpeg w/ x265 directly and others as well with the same artifacting results each time essentially, just the artifacts appear in different places/times depending on the encoder). I have things like chromaloc=2 set and stuff, but I know both the BL+EL in p7 work intertwined so to speak and are spit out together as two files at time of source encode w/ DV so I'm wondering if encoding at all afterwards no matter what breaks FEL or if I'm just missing/breaking a specific flag/setting somewhere. MEL only titles are fine after encoding with no artifacting, but they don't have as much going on with complexity so not as much to break. Playback is also obviously fine for FEL if I make the files without encoding the BL. But I also can't burn in forced subtitles then. :/

Code: Select all

-max_muxing_queue_size 1024 -map 0:0   -c:v libx265 -pix_fmt yuv420p10le    -profile:v main10  -x265-params "level-idc=51:high-tier=1:uhd-bd=1:ref=5:aq-mode=2:repeat-headers=1:strong-intra-smoothing=1:bframes=4:b-adapt=2:frame-threads=0:colorprim=bt2020:transfer=smpte2084:colormatrix=bt2020nc:hdr10_opt=1:master-display=G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1):max-cll=0,0:hdr10=1:chromaloc=2:pass=1:no-slow-firstpass=1" -b:v 44808k -preset:v medium   -an -sn -dn -f mp4 NUL 
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:08 pm
No issue on my end with x265.exe (staxrip GUI)

x265.exe --crf 14 --preset slower --profile main10 --level-idc 5.1 --output-depth 10 --vbv-bufsize 160000 --vbv-maxrate 160000 --master-display "G(8500,39850)B(6550,2300)R(35400,14600)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,50)" --hdr10 --colorprim bt2020 --colormatrix bt2020nc --transfer smpte2084 --range limited --max-luma 1023 --max-cll "1232,278" --hdr10-opt --dolby-vision-profile 8.1 --dolby-vision-rpu X:\RPU.metadata.bin --repeat-headers --hrd --aud --no-open-gop  --deblock -3:-3 --no-sao --chromaloc 2
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

I'mma try again with x265 keeping it real simple

--pass 1 --bitrate 44808 --output-depth 10 --profile main10 --level-idc 5.1 --high-tier --ref 5 --master-display "G(13250,34500)B(7500,3000)R(34000,16000)WP(15635,16450)L(10000000,1)" --hdr10 --colorprim bt2020 --colormatrix bt2020nc --transfer smpte2084 --range limited --chromaloc 2 --repeat-headers --aud --hrd --stats
I wasn't doing the DV insertion at time of encode like you are, because I was trying to make a p7 mux and p8 from the same HDR10 only base encode, though that shouldn't matter; but I'm in trial and error mode so if this next one doesn't work I'll try that.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:48 pm
glc650 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:36 pm
The profile 5 proprietary colorspace is more efficient, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICtCp#Characteristics
In reality FEL can also add detail/noise, so they're not the same.
Sorry if it was asked before, can your tool convert from Profile 7/8 to Profile 5?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

mulucy wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:34 pm
Sorry if it was asked before, can your tool convert from Profile 7/8 to Profile 5?
No, that requires processing the video.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Just a FYI...

The x700 and the Zidoo are not processing the RPU correctly when it plays tsmuxer trimmed samples (movie cuts/splits) but somehow decodes FEL correctly.
I know a long time ago, someone here said that he was seeing a difference with its TV internal player and it turned out it was because of the splitting.
viewtopic.php?p=100961#p100961
viewtopic.php?p=101616#p101616

samples...
ST-DL MKV offsync: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D-zYop ... sp=sharing
ST-DL TS offsync: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EKyCtx ... sp=sharing
ST-DL MKV original: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gRBqz7 ... sp=sharing

at the complete end of the sample (58sec) there's a brightness adjustment visible on the C8 and Shield but not on the x700 and the Zidoo.
If I don't split the file but still delay the RPU, then the zidoo and the x700 also have visible brightness changes.
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cannibalist2

Post by cannibalist2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:15 am
Just a FYI...

The x700 and the Zidoo are not processing the RPU correctly when it plays trimmed samples (movie cuts/splits) but somehow decodes FEL correctly.
Hi @RESET_9999, I will be glad if you answer my question
As you have tested Chromecast with Google TV, do you recommend it for FEL movies? Mostly I convert them to MEL and make profile 6 DV and watch it with webos plex app (my tv still supports profile 6). They look really nice but I don't know how much quality I sacrifice for converting from FEL to MEL. Is buying chromecast for only FEL movies really worth it or is there no significant diference between MEL and FEL? I wanted to know because almost all technological products are expensive in my country.
Last edited by cannibalist2 on Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

cannibalist2 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm
As you have tested Chromecast with Google TV, do you recommend it for FEL movies? Mostly I convert them to MEL and make profile 6 DV and watch it with webos plex app (my tv still supports profile 6). They look really nice but I don't know how much quality I sacrifice for converting from FEL to MEL. Is buying chromecast for only FEL movies really worth it or is there no signicifant diference between MEL and FEL? I wanted to know because almost all technological products are expensive in my country.
Well if don't care about not having lossless audio, then yes the Chromecast is a good mediaplayer for FEL DV mkv but one problem: with my LG C8, I'm only getting LLDV which is very strange because I know this device can do tv-led DV but somehow output lldv by default.

Honestly, I used to think that there was a big difference between FEL and MEL but after comparing a lot more movies, the difference is very small on our 10bits TVs unless the studio(EG. total recall) did a poor job encoding the base layer. I would probably fail a blind side-by-side comparison test on most movies.

I still prefer to watch FEL DV on my x700 though, just for the peace of mind :)
cannibalist2

Post by cannibalist2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:09 pm
cannibalist2 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:40 pm
As you have tested Chromecast with Google TV, do you recommend it for FEL movies? Mostly I convert them to MEL and make profile 6 DV and watch it with webos plex app (my tv still supports profile 6). They look really nice but I don't know how much quality I sacrifice for converting from FEL to MEL. Is buying chromecast for only FEL movies really worth it or is there no signicifant diference between MEL and FEL? I wanted to know because almost all technological products are expensive in my country.
Well if don't care about not having lossless audio, then yes the Chromecast is a good mediaplayer for FEL DV mkv but one problem: with my LG C8, I'm only getting LLDV which is very strange because I know this device can do tv-led DV but somehow output lldv by default.

Honestly, I used to think that there was a big difference between FEL and MEL but after comparing a lot more movies, the difference is very small on our 10bits TVs unless the studio(EG. total recall) did a poor job encoding the base layer. I would probably fail a blind side-by-side comparison test on most movies.

I still prefer to watch FEL DV on my x700 though, just for the peace of mind :)
Thanks.Then I think I'm gonna pass it until 12-bits TVs out :)
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:15 am
Just a FYI...

The x700 and the Zidoo are not processing the RPU correctly when it plays trimmed samples (movie cuts/splits) but somehow decodes FEL correctly.
I know a long time ago, someone here said that he was seeing a difference with its TV internal player and it turned out it was because of the splitting.
viewtopic.php?p=100961#p100961
viewtopic.php?p=101616#p101616

samples...
ST-DL MKV offsync: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D-zYop ... sp=sharing
ST-DL TS offsync: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EKyCtx ... sp=sharing
ST-DL MKV original: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gRBqz7 ... sp=sharing

at the complete end of the sample (58sec) there's a brightness adjustment visible on the C8 and Shield but not on the x700 and the Zidoo.
If I don't split the file but still delay the RPU, then the zidoo and the x700 also have visible brightness changes.

I see a bright pink flash at the end if thats what you mean (similar to the artifacts I was mentioning in the encode problems I'm having, just not always pink)

This was on a Tivo Stream 4k - which BTW I can confirm processes SL DT FEL files as I took the first 5 mins of 10 cloverfield lane BL and put first 5 mins of EL from Cabin in the Woods and it was clearly showing the ghost image of the color FEL video playing over the BL - I just saw one person ask about that device way earlier in the thread and I don't know if anyone gave him an answer - it does struggle to keep up over wifi though with only 45mbps hevc encodes so go wired if you use this (network is fine, and CCwGTV has no issue over wifi) edit -might be the chipset as well S905Y2 vs S905D3 I'll have to test it wired sometime I just don't wanna take the USB C hub from the Chromecast out on the patio right now it's awkward to get and put back where it's hidden away - the tivo has the best android tv remote though hands down - they just screwed up making it toy size instead of the size of the regular tivo remotes (or smaller than that but bigger than they chose)
Last edited by staknhalo on Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:27 pm
I see a bright pink flash at the end if thats what you mean (similar to the artifacts I was mentioning in the encode problems I'm having, just not always pink)

This was on a Tivo Stream 4k - which BTW I can confirm processes SL DT FEL files as I took the first 5 mins of 10 cloverfield lane BL and put first 5 mins of EL Cabin in the Woods and it was clearly showing the ghost image of the color layer video playing over the BL - I just saw one person ask about that device way earlier in the thread and I don't know if anyone gave him an answer - it does struggle over wifi though with only 45mbps hevc encodes so go wired if you use this (network is fine, and CCwGTV has no issue over wifi)
it's normal to see the flash with the version that is out of sync. that's the goal, we want to know if RPU is used properly.
If you're seeing that on every DV encoded file, it means the Tivo decoders go out of sync. I noticed that on the UGOOS AM6 as well, ghosting in FEL playback even with remux files.

Interestingly though, if you're seeing ghosting with fel titles, that means this device has 2 decoders and is one of the few media players that supports FEL.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:36 pm
Interestingly though, if you're seeing ghosting with fel titles, that means this device has 2 decoders and is one of the few media players that supports FEL.
Yes I edited though to mention it can't keep up but don't know if the older chipset or cause im trying on wifi - will have to try wired later

So could the 'color artifacting' i'm seeing just be the rpu/el and my encoded layer aren't 100% frame for frame lined up (even though no errors thrown)? because I tested on more than one player and it was reproducible on diff devices - so I doubt both/all decoders are crashing/erroring out at same part - that would be more a file error

I'll see if I can mux out one obvious one for upload

Edit yes that has to be what it is - because when I test my FEL test file I used on the Tivo on a device that doesnt to full FEL I see the same 'color artifacting' that you mention is RPU/brightness related

Double edit Tivo Stream 4K is playing 1:1 full FEL p7 muxes fine for me - erroneous test files were what was tripping the decoder/the device up

Playback on the Tivo, you can see the 'g' from the Lionsgate logo in the FEL rendering to the right of the Paramount Mountain in the BL at the end of the clip (there are other obvious things at the start of the video too over the water but the video doesn't capture what you see in person with that):

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipN ... dYME9nNGRB
Last edited by staknhalo on Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KoshIreland

Post by KoshIreland »

Hi. Sorry to ask something already covered in this thread, but I haven't been able to figure out the latest/best info.

Back in Dec 2020, I started using scripts from this thread to convert Dolby Vision UHD discs (Game of Thrones) to DV MP4, but I never finished the process.

What's the best option currently to convert these discs to a DV file that will play on AppleTV with LG C8 — or using LG C8 built-in player?