Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Unknown

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Unknown »

Hi, I formatted my PC and I wanted to download the Reset_9999 package but I can't find it, I just found the .bat :cry:
Unless it was deleted for error conflicts?
ragico

Post by ragico »

Unknown wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:23 pm
Hi, I formatted my PC and I wanted to download the Reset_9999 package but I can't find it, I just found the .bat :cry:
Unless it was deleted for error conflicts?
You should PM him
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Donpoku wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:24 am
Firestick can play 80gb+ remux/atmos fine ?
Probably not, it stutters with 65+ mbps.
hell001

Post by hell001 »

johnjon94 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm
I meant in regards to movies that don't have IMAX DV WEB-DL releases but have an IMAX HDR WEB-DL, like Spider-Man Far From Home.
Also wondering about this same film, as well has No Way Home. I've seen a few IMAX hybrid releases where the uploader credits the DV layer from a non-IMAX release, and am unsure how this is possible. Can non-IMAX Dolby Vision sources create legit IMAX hybrids? To my knowledge neither FFH nor NWH have IMAX DV releases.

(Note: I am not talking about generating it yourself with Davinci Resolve or some other method.)
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

quietvoid wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:10 pm
Donpoku wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:24 am
Firestick can play 80gb+ remux/atmos fine ?
Probably not, it stutters with 65+ mbps.
I see then what do you use with those files? Thanks.
karbre

Post by karbre »

from the 1.17.3 release notes:
"DV HEVC streams with certain encoding were processed in a non-compatible way"

is there any more info on this? especially on how to differentiate UHD discs of which previous versions produced faulty output.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Donpoku wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:19 am
I see then what do you use with those files? Thanks.
I don't watch high bitrate files.
karbre wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:47 pm

is there any more info on this? especially on how to differentiate UHD discs of which previous versions produced faulty output.
It fixes a bug I've reported that made resulting video bitstream incompatible with FFmpeg (the Dolby Vision RPU wasn't parsed by FFmpeg for affected MakeMKV outputs).

I don't think it affects playback otherwise.
There's no easy way to know if the output is bad.
I'm only aware of maybe 2-3 discs affected.
jayper

Post by jayper »

hell001 wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:15 pm
johnjon94 wrote:
I meant in regards to movies that don't have IMAX DV WEB-DL releases but have an IMAX HDR WEB-DL, like Spider-Man Far From Home.
Also wondering about this same film, as well has No Way Home. I've seen a few IMAX hybrid releases where the uploader credits the DV layer from a non-IMAX release, and am unsure how this is possible. Can non-IMAX Dolby Vision sources create legit IMAX hybrids? To my knowledge neither FFH nor NWH have IMAX DV releases.

(Note: I am not talking about generating it yourself with Davinci Resolve or some other method.)
I might be wrong, so an actual expert should weigh in, but to my knowledge it is possible to extract an RPU from any DV release. The resolution does not have to match the HDR10 base layer file's resolution.
Balthazar2k4

Post by Balthazar2k4 »

karbre wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:47 pm

I know it fixed my StudioCanal copy of Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

Can anybody confirm if they can or can't replicate if they have nothing better to do - constant RPU misalignment if you simply remux with ANY DV5 release of Glass Onion (noticeable throughout but when the three way call goes on screen when trying to open the box, you notice in obviously in bottom left IIRC), and the DV8 release of Pale Blue Eye (1080p marked as HDR only), and Community (TV series) DV8 - with Community it actually looks like there are RPU alignment artifacts encoded into the BL? I was able to mux out the RPU for Pale Blue eye leaving me with an HDR only that was fine, but when doing that on Community BL still had artifacts.

Scenes are also pre-making DV8 from DV5 + HDR10 now but only labeled HDR in file name only :/ wish they'd stop and just stick to DV5 + HDR10 separate

Edit: Pre muxed D+ are fine, just NF titles all issues just simply remuxing
hell001

Post by hell001 »

jayper wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:01 am
hell001 wrote:
johnjon94 wrote:

I might be wrong, so an actual expert should weigh in, but to my knowledge it is possible to extract an RPU from any DV release. The resolution does not have to match the HDR10 base layer file's resolution.
I’ve heard similar, where you can use say a 1080p DV layer and inject it into a 2160p HDR file. But in those cases the aspect ratio is the same. I wasn’t sure if this also applied to IMAX, specifically with the IMAX release having extra content on the top and bottom. Does the non IMAX DV layer know how to handle that considering its source file doesn’t have that? And produce the same result as if it was coming from an IMAX DV layer?
johnjon94

Post by johnjon94 »

hell001 wrote:
johnjon94 wrote:

Unfortunately it's not possible. The DV metadata from a non-IMAX source won't have the necessary information for the extended aspect ratios in the the IMAX scenes.
johnjon94

Post by johnjon94 »

johnjon94 wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:47 am
hell001 wrote:
johnjon94 wrote:

Unfortunately it's not possible. The DV metadata from a non-IMAX source won't have the necessary information for the expanded aspect ratios in the the IMAX scenes.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

hell001 wrote:
To my knowledge neither FFH nor NWH have IMAX DV releases.
On Bravia Core they do

edit: FFH HDR10 IMAX NWH DV8 IMAX
jorgen

Post by jorgen »

The best way to play FEL titles is using a physical player (for instance Oppo) with M2TS/TS or BDMV/ISO files. When you create a mkv with Dolby Vision from a UHD disc, is it possible to reverse the process and create a Blu-ray structure from a mkv file and not lose any Dolby Vision information?

Converting can be done with https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer