Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Donpablo80

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Donpablo80 »

Recently I bought the 65 inch LG Oled CX. I have a lot of MP4 Dolby vision movies that play fine on my older Oled B7, but they are not whatchble on my CX, they look very dark. Is this a known problem?

EDIT:

I see it's a known problem. Anything to do about it? Or just download the hdr10 version of the movie.
LandisKashu

Post by LandisKashu »

Donpablo80 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 7:27 am
Recently I bought the 65 inch LG Oled CX. I have a lot of MP4 Dolby vision movies that play fine on my older Oled B7, but they are not whatchble on my CX, they look very dark. Is this a known problem?

EDIT:

I see it's a known problem. Anything to do about it? Or just download the hdr10 version of the movie.
I'm in the same boat as you. Dark scenes are really dark on my CX compared to the HDR versions.
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

Donpablo80 wrote:

EDIT:

You could try some of these suggested settings on this reddit thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... me=iossmf

seems to have improved things for a bunch of people.
MastaG

Post by MastaG »

I received the clone of the Oppo blu-ray player last month.
It's called M9201 and it's basically the same thing but without the actual disc-reader.
There is a monthly bulk import of these things on a spanish forum.

It plays everything I throw at it.
Now I can just open the blu-ray iso files from my nas and it will even display the full menu's (it's a blu-ray player after all).
Mattl0

Post by Mattl0 »

Hi ,

I am trying to figure out if my lg b6 can do tv led (rgb tunelling) in general? So I am wondering if it is really processing the dolby vision fel with mkv/mp4 rips from ugoos am6 + and if it is tv led or player led .

I know I can watch mp4/ts dolby vision fel directly with a usb ssd attached on the tv, but this is not convenient and the tv player always stop with a lack of memory message.
Even there , how can i be sure the tv is processing the fel?
Stdl and dtdl seems play fine on usb.

The info is hard to find for the 2016 lg models. So i am wondering if I should sell my b6 for a b9-c9? I am also looking at buying the vertex to be able to answer some of my questions but if someone has the answers it would be great.
phbart

Post by phbart »

Donpablo80 wrote:

EDIT:

I guess I'll be keeping my B7 after all. Going strong since Dec/2017 with almost 6500 hours of use.

Btw, is it possible already to play DV with MKV containers? Or just mp4?
jkatchy2

Post by jkatchy2 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 pm
Epedemic wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 pm
As for the x700, you're gonna have to demux your .mkv DV library back into 2 separate video tracks with yusecope's tool and then remux it into a ts/m2ts container for the x700.
Is there any link to yusecope's tool latest version ?
ragico

Post by ragico »

jkatchy2 wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:17 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:14 pm
Epedemic wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 pm
As for the x700, you're gonna have to demux your .mkv DV library back into 2 separate video tracks with yusecope's tool and then remux it into a ts/m2ts container for the x700.
Is there any link to yusecope's tool latest version ?
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&p=96282#p96282
karbre

Post by karbre »

Please forgive me for not reading 300+ pages, I'm sure it has all been discussed, but can someone please sum the DV situation up for me...
I do not yet have the hardware (playback device, display) for DV, but I want to rip my UHDs in the best way possible and store them on my NAS. I will buy the playback hardware specifically with DV in mind, so I don't need to store the files in any compromise format that some non-ideal playback devices might need.

My toolflow is MakeMKV + potentially gMKVExtractGUI for extracting PGS subtitles and then mkvToolNixGui to rip SRT subtitles back in and potentially changing header data. Can I use that flow 1:1 without messing up the Dolby Vision information? Of course I use the latest versions on all tools.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Recent versions of MakeMKV will store all the DV data in the .mkv file. If you've got the space, keep the unedited rips. It is likely that a year or two from now the playback situation will be different than it is today.

MKVToolNix version 49 or later will preserve DV data. https://www.bunkus.org/blog/2020/08/mkv ... -released/
karbre

Post by karbre »

Thank you for the link to MKVToolNix. So my toolflow should still work.

What do you mean by "keeping the unedited rips" - keeping the MKVs as they came directly out of MakeMKV, or keeping a complete disc backup?
If it's the first case: Does that mean you don't trust MKVToolNix / mkvmerge to not mess up the metadata?
If it's the second case: My understanding is that MakeMKV stores all the Dolby Vision data that is available in the MKV, right? So if something changes with the requirements on the file format, it should be able to convert from the MKV produced now as all the information is in there. Or am I missing something?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

karbre wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 am
What do you mean by "keeping the unedited rips" - keeping the MKVs as they came directly out of MakeMKV, or keeping a complete disc backup?
I mean keeping the .mkv files as they come out of MakeMKV. I didn't quite finish my thought there… What comes off a UHD and gets stored in the .mkv file is Dolby Vision profile 7. There is some support for playing DV profile 7 directly, but it isn't universal. Dolby Vision profile 5 is what the streaming services use and is what has the most support with built-in players in TVs and various streaming boxes. There are tools to get from profile 7 to profile 5, but I think most people are wanting to eventually just play the profile 7 .mkv files directly. Transcoding a DV UHD rip to save a little space is a multistep process at the moment as well.

In summary, the tools and best practices for dealing with UHDs, especially DV UHDs are in flux. By keeping the 'unedited rips' you should be able to avoid having the rip from disc again when circumstances change (i.e. when your playback setup changes or whatever).

As a side note you should be able to get nearly the all the metadata correct in MakeMKV at the time of ripping (except, of course, any .srt subtitles you might want to embed).
Mattl0

Post by Mattl0 »

Yeah here I keep iso’s in a hdd.
karbre

Post by karbre »

Okay then, I guess the MKV as it came out of MakeMKV is as good as the one processed with MKVToolNix, as the DV data is not altered. I'm not planning on converting to other DV profiles.
dcoke22 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
As a side note you should be able to get nearly the all the metadata correct in MakeMKV at the time of ripping (except, of course, any .srt subtitles you might want to embed).
Turning SDH subtitles into non-SDH subtitles is the one thing I regularly do but can't be done with MakeMKV, only via extracting the subtitle file, processing it with SubtitleEdit, and then muxing it back in. Most other stuff can probably be done with MakeMKV, yes, although I'm not sure if e.g. changing the order of audio tracks is possible.
Bigboypants

Post by Bigboypants »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 1:27 pm
karbre wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 am
I mean keeping the .mkv files as they come out of MakeMKV. I didn't quite finish my thought there… What comes off a UHD and gets stored in the .mkv file is Dolby Vision profile 7. There is some support for playing DV profile 7 directly, but it isn't universal. Dolby Vision profile 5 is what the streaming services use and is what has the most support with built-in players in TVs and various streaming boxes. There are tools to get from profile 7 to profile 5, but I think most people are wanting to eventually just play the profile 7 .mkv files directly. Transcoding a DV UHD rip to save a little space is a multistep process at the moment as well.

In summary, the tools and best practices for dealing with UHDs, especially DV UHDs are in flux. By keeping the 'unedited rips' you should be able to avoid having the rip from disc again when circumstances change (i.e. when your playback setup changes or whatever).

Can UBX700 read makemkv raw backups and output dolby vision?
if not then how can I use an MKV backup to playback DV?