Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Epedemic

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Epedemic »

So, i've about had it with the shield... the ugoos seems dead on arrival.... the oppo 203 is too damn expensive.... the chinoppo seems dodgy at best (and is also too expensive..... and the cc with google tv dosen't do lossless... That pretty much leaves me with the option of the X700... Correct?

Also, if i go down this path: is it possible to convert my .mkv library (with DV) back to bdmv folder structure, or do i need to rerip (or... ew... play discs)?
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

Epedemic wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:41 pm
So, i've about had it with the shield... the ugoos seems dead on arrival.... the oppo 203 is too damn expensive.... the chinoppo seems dodgy at best (and is also too expensive..... and the cc with google tv dosen't do lossless... That pretty much leaves me with the option of the X700... Correct?

Also, if i go down this path: is it possible to convert my .mkv library (with DV) back to bdmv folder structure, or do i need to rerip (or... ew... play discs)?
What've you heard about the chinoppo being dodgy? I finally the took the plunge and got one last month, and it's been great so far. It plays all my full disks DV backups without issue. There're some simple things you can do like auto mount your network shares that makes browsing your collection pretty easy.

As for the x700, you're gonna have to demux your .mkv DV library back into 2 separate video tracks with yusecope's tool and then remux it into a ts/m2ts container for the x700.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Epedemic wrote:

Don't want to be bad news, but I would not invest too much in FEL capable players. Most studios are gonna exit the physical disk market sooner or later. I heard rumors about WB exiting the market soon and focusing completely on streaming instead with HBO Max.
To answer your question, you will have to use Sony X700. I wish Chromecast with Google TV did support the lossless audio, it would have been an ultimate streaming player! Have you tried importing the MKV files in Tsmuxer and demuxing from there?
GYTcool

Post by GYTcool »

yusesope wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:59 pm
Good afternoon everyone.
The weekend is approaching so it seemed appropriate to me to release something for you to play with.
Thank you for your tutorial!I can now play Dolby Vision MKV files successfully, but I found a bug about the Exoplayer, that is… the embedded subtitles in the black edge cannot be displayed, this only happens when playing Dolby Vision MKV files.
Last edited by GYTcool on Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
XTrojan

Post by XTrojan »

mulucy wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:04 am
Epedemic wrote:

Don't want to be bad news, but I would not invest too much in FEL capable players. Most studios are gonna exit the physical disk market sooner or later. I heard rumors about WB exiting the market soon and focusing completely on streaming instead with HBO Max.
To answer your question, you will have to use Sony X700. I wish Chromecast with Google TV did support the lossless audio, it would have been an ultimate streaming player! Have you tried importing the MKV files in Tsmuxer and demuxing from there?
I agree! But the fact that top end players like Nvidia Shield Pro can't accurately present DV (without FEL) makes me severely annoyed, i've somewhat given up on DV for now and just playback standard HDR10.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

Yeah, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to stop the quest for Dolby Vision greatness and do something else instead. It has been expensive, time-consuming, and ultimately pretty damn frustrating. I enjoy all the nice and like-minded people around here, but I should have just been content with HDR10+Dynamic Tone Mapping and Nvidia Shields.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

bobbymkV wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:06 pm
Yeah, if I could go back in time I would tell myself to stop the quest for Dolby Vision greatness and do something else instead. It has been expensive, time-consuming, and ultimately pretty damn frustrating. I enjoy all the nice and like-minded people around here, but I should have just been content with HDR10+Dynamic Tone Mapping and Nvidia Shields.
This is an adventure game. You have a goal. You have some tools that might help you achieve the goal. You have to obtain other tools. Wizards and Dragons oppose you. Some times you can glimpse the goal, other times it is obscured in a fog of doubt. Eventually, you discover that the goal isn't a solid object, but a concept that can be nebulous. And yet you persevere...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

XTrojan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:30 pm
mulucy wrote:
Epedemic wrote:

I agree! But the fact that top end players like Nvidia Shield Pro can't accurately present DV (without FEL) makes me severely annoyed, i've somewhat given up on DV for now and just playback standard HDR10.
I'm reading elsewhere that the Ugoos AM6 Plus can play FEL; why is it DOA? Does anyone here have experience with this player?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Low Winter Sun wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 pm
I'm reading elsewhere that the Ugoos AM6 Plus can play FEL; why is it DOA? Does anyone here have experience with this player?
Go back to the second half of March, 2021 in this thread and you'll see a discussion about the Ugoos.

viewtopic.php?p=107360#p107360
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Low Winter Sun wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:25 pm
XTrojan wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:30 pm
mulucy wrote:

Basically the firmware has been stolen, cracked, leaked - rumours are the dev team have fallen out with each other and support going forward might not be forthcoming, in other words they may abandon the box and put development into a new box instead.
bgalakazam

Post by bgalakazam »

I don't know what's expensive or complicated about X700... $180 last I checked, just use the Tsmuxer from a Bluray rip structure. Of course it's not as straightforward with pirated MKVs, but still doable. There really 1. isn't that much FEL DV content 2. worth watching all of it. Just buy the few titles you really want to rewatch. Or stream with MEL.

Also if you think Bluray and 4K Bluray are going away for a 10-20Mbit web stream you are delusional.
Sony X700 -> Onkyo TX-RZ830 -> LG C8
ultrahorst

Post by ultrahorst »

I have studied this topic (and many other forums) regarding Dolby Vision capable media players, and was about to give up on DV... but it seems that multiple users recently had luck with the newest Zidoo Z9X firmware (6.2.5). Allegedly, this version improves DV compatibility (see also http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads ... 2-5.81090/, the OP was able to play all DV movies, with proper forward/rewind support):

Code: Select all

Changelogs:

System:

1. Added supports for multiple formats of Dolby Vision(non BDmenu mode).

BD ISO,BDMV P7 MEL & FEL
MKV,MP4 P4 MEL & FEL
MKV,MP4 P7 MEL & FEL
MKV,MP4 P5
MKV,MP4 P8
I almost bought the Ugoos AM6 Plus, and refrained from doing so because of the issues reported here. Maybe this player can finally do what we want? Unfortunately I wasn't able to find out whether it works properly with Plex and DV, but after reading the reports I'm willing to take the risk. Anybody here having luck with this player? Maybe even some experience with the Plex app?
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

ultrahorst wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:55 pm
I have studied this topic (and many other forums) regarding Dolby Vision capable media players, and was about to give up on DV... but it seems that multiple users recently had luck with the newest Zidoo Z9X firmware (6.2.5). Allegedly, this version improves DV compatibility (see also http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads ... 2-5.81090/, the OP was able to play all DV movies, with proper forward/rewind support):

Code: Select all

Changelogs:

System:

1. Added supports for multiple formats of Dolby Vision(non BDmenu mode).

BD ISO,BDMV P7 MEL & FEL
MKV,MP4 P4 MEL & FEL
MKV,MP4 P7 MEL & FEL
MKV,MP4 P5
MKV,MP4 P8
I almost bought the Ugoos AM6 Plus, and refrained from doing so because of the issues reported here. Maybe this player can finally do what we want? Unfortunately I wasn't able to find out whether it works properly with Plex and DV, but after reading the reports I'm willing to take the risk. Anybody here having luck with this player? Maybe even some experience with the Plex app?
The Zidoo Z9X "plays" FEL the same way that the Nvidia Shield 2019 "plays" FEL, which is that it plays successfully in Dolby Vision and uses the RPU for dynamic metadata, but the EL is ignored. Doesn't seem to have the red push issue that the Nvidia Shield 2019 does though.
Last edited by dysprosium on Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

bgalakazam wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:58 am
I don't know what's expensive or complicated about X700... $180 last I checked, just use the Tsmuxer from a Bluray rip structure. Of course it's not as straightforward with pirated MKVs, but still doable. There really 1. isn't that much FEL DV content 2. worth watching all of it. Just buy the few titles you really want to rewatch. Or stream with MEL.

Also if you think Bluray and 4K Bluray are going away for a 10-20Mbit web stream you are delusional.
Check eBay for Sony X700, you should be able to find plenty of used ones for less than $100. You are absolutely right about the lack of FEL content. Correct me if I am wrong, there is currently two studios producing FEL 4K DV. One is Paramount and the second one is Universal. I do exactly what you are saying. I go with MKV for MEL, for the movies I really care I go FEL Blu-Ray structure on my Sony X700.

FEL DV is way ahead of it's time. Modern TVs barely support 10-bit color, forget about 12-bit lol.
DV and HDR format is gonna change a lot. And I won't been surprised if Dolby pushes a different profile like P7 but single track and single layer with 12-bit color. And sooner or later physical media will fade away and completely replaced by streaming. Don't forget, people who buy psychical media are minority.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Can someone with Google Chromecast test a new update? Google just pushed a new software update, which is supposed to fix a refresh rate and enhance audio and video handling. Thank you!