Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
sultanmehmet

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by sultanmehmet »

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum. I've literally been reading about Dolby Vision for 7 hours straight as I am a noob and right now there is literal steam coming out of my ear and I just want to ask a couple of questions.

I have a Panasonic DV-ready OLED (JZ1000) and am about to order a SONY X700. What is the simplest way I can watch FEL DV on this player? I read RESET_9999's spreadsheet about 45 times and it said something about a BDMV structure on USB but every information is literally scattered over the entire internet in 500+ pages and I tried my best to read through it all but still want to confirm my findings.

1. Can you only put 1 BDMV folder in your root or can you put multiple?
2. You cannot stream anything to your blu-ray player right?
3. If I already have a BDMV folder structure, do I need to do anything to it or is it just plug and play? (drop it on a USB HDD)

That's it for now.
jayper

Post by jayper »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:35 pm
1. Can you only put 1 BDMV folder in your root or can you put multiple?
If you're using BDMV structures for playback, you can ONLY put one BDMV folder in the root directory of the USB drive. That being said, you can also use TSMusxer to create TS files which retain and playback DV metadata. For TS files, you can have as many as the drive will hold. However, with BDMV structures you retain chapter information.
sultanmehmet wrote:
2. You cannot stream anything to your blu-ray player right?
It might be possible to stream TS files using Plex's DLNA support, but I am not sure about that. Never tried. You need a really robust wireless network, or wired ethernet to support the high bitrates of these files.
sultanmehmet wrote:
3. If I already have a BDMV folder structure, do I need to do anything to it or is it just plug and play? (drop it on a USB HDD)
If all you have done is a decrypted of a Dolby Vision disc back-up using MakeMKV, you'll need to use TSMuxer to create a new BDMV folder using the main movie's playlist as the input. The x700 cannot playback folders/isos with full menu support, as far as I know.
jayper

Post by jayper »

And for what it is worth, its been quite a while since I used my x700 for playback so if any of the above is incorrect, anyone else correct me.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

Thanks Jayper!

So BDMV is only 1 movies at a time huh? In that case I will gladly move to .ts files. I don't mind losing chapter information as I usually never use the function to begin with. It would be nice of course but no disaster.

It would have been nice to be able to use DLNA, but something tells me that streaming +/- 75 mbps bitrate files will just severely lag and buffer and whatnot. I don't know if anybody here has succesfully used it?

I looked at the spreadsheet for the x700 using TS files and it reads:
M2TS & TS tsMuxeR
* forced subtitles must be selected manually
* no chapter support
* can't play two movies in a row without locking up
can be unlocked by playing this file
* cannot FF/RW long movies

No chapter support is fine, and I don't plan on playing 2 movies back to back.
What does 'forced subtitles' mean? I didn't get this part.
And it says cannot FF/RW long movies. What's in this case being defined as a 'long movie'? Anything longer than 2 hours? 3 hours?

Thanks guys.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:36 pm
Forced Subtitles are subtitles that display even when you have subtitles turned off. A classic example is Sean Connery speaking Russian at the beginning of The Hunt for Red October (1990).
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:38 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
Forced Subtitles are subtitles that display even when you have subtitles turned off. A classic example is Sean Connery speaking Russian at the beginning of The Hunt for Red October (1990).
Is this the same as 'hardsubs' aka 'baked in' subs?
jayper

Post by jayper »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:57 pm
dcoke22 wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:38 pm
sultanmehmet wrote:
Is this the same as 'hardsubs' aka 'baked in' subs?
It is different, because they are not 'baked into' the video. They are generated during playback by the player.
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

I understand. I am now muxing them with Tsmuxer in anticipation for my x700 to arrive probably in 2 days. I muxed 1 with succes but got a “Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized. Please, verify stream fps.” error during the second one.

This doesn't matter wheather I do TS muxing or M2TS muxing. It happens every time at 13.9%. I don't really know where to go from here. I thought it was perhaps audio related but it's the only English audio track on the Blu-Ray so I don't really have a choice.

My input file was the m2ts file (90GB) if that's important at all.

EDIT: I also read on the spreadsheet that you can also use m2ts files. In this case, can I just drag on drop the m2ts file unto the HDD? Every audio and subtitle track that I want to use is the default one (english & english). And they are m2ts so there is no TrueHD core to not be present.
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:27 pm
I understand. I am now muxing them with Tsmuxer in anticipation for my x700 to arrive probably in 2 days. I muxed 1 with succes but got a “Reading buffer overflow. Possible container streams are not syncronized. Please, verify stream fps.” error during the second one.

This doesn't matter wheather I do TS muxing or M2TS muxing. It happens every time at 13.9%. I don't really know where to go from here. I thought it was perhaps audio related but it's the only English audio track on the Blu-Ray so I don't really have a choice.

My input file was the m2ts file (90GB) if that's important at all.

EDIT: I also read on the spreadsheet that you can also use m2ts files. In this case, can I just drag on drop the m2ts file unto the HDD? Every audio and subtitle track that I want to use is the default one (english & english). And they are m2ts so there is no TrueHD core to not be present.
Use the mpls (playlist) file for the movie as the input, not the m2ts file.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
sultanmehmet

Post by sultanmehmet »

Thanks for the suggestion. I had also tried that and that also failed, at the exact same place. Then I tried another movie and that one also failed with the same error but at 32%. Worst thing is I don't even understand the error very much so I don't know how to solve it. Tried Googling it but people seem to be getting this error since 2009 so I could be all sorts of things.

Can somebody confirm if I can just copy the 'raw' m2ts file to my HDD? Or does that also need to be muxed beforehands to a muxed m2ts?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

sultanmehmet wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:42 am
Can somebody confirm if I can just copy the 'raw' m2ts file to my HDD?
No, you'll get "fake" DV if you do that. You must remux to TS/M2TS or BDMV with the nightly tsmuxer.

It sounds like you're using the very old tsmuxer. I use this version (had issues with the latest ones)...
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/re ... 2-02-15-09
dom61

Post by dom61 »

Good morning.
I followed the Generate Dolby Vision and HDR10plus videotutorial in Davinci Resolve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFiqATo_j8&t=325s
I generated the two files "DV.xml" and "HDR10plus.json", launched "DoVi_Script 1.7.0" Choice 6>5, dragged the video file (mkv) and after that the file "HDR10plus.json".
I get the message "Unable to find the specified path".
I have done the procedure several times, but I can't figure out
where I'm going wrong.
Thank you very much

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
Zidoo Z9X | HiMedia Q5 Pro and Q10 Pro | ZDMC 20.1 | Remote WeChip | Splitter HDMI HDFury AVR-KEY | Display LG 65B6V | Audio processor Yamaha RX-V775 | Rotel RMB-1075 | Storage Qnap Ts-431K +TL-D800C
My PC Ryzen 7950X
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

dom61 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:08 am
Good morning.
I followed the Generate Dolby Vision and HDR10plus videotutorial in Davinci Resolve.
Looks like you didnt download and set the tools path: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/fold ... J2M9DvOQRu
You should also update to 1.7.6 in which you can now use (1-1) to inject both XML and json.
jayper

Post by jayper »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:04 pm
You should also update to 1.7.6 in which you can now use (1-1) to inject both XML and json.
Is 1.7.6 official now? Or still in beta? Thanks again for all of your effort on this project.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

jayper wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:28 pm
Is 1.7.6 official now? Or still in beta? Thanks again for all of your effort on this project.
yes it's the latest stable version but a new beta 1.7.6.1 coming up later today.
-- HDR10plus_tool and Dovi_tool must be updated to the latest version (hdr10plus to DV was totally wrong with the old dovi_tool)
I suggest you re-do any HDR10plus to DV conversion you did with the old dovi_tool
see: https://slow.pics/c/G6OH6k9p
-- HDR10plus plotter no longer requires python
-- new workflow that can batch remove CMV4.0 metadata block (2-1-6):
most of the CMV4.0 movies only have a L8 100nits trims and L2 has no effect on CMV4.0 device(shield,firestick,tv internal)
pattern to see what I'm talking about:
CMV4.0 original: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lR1u9H ... share_link
cmv4.0 removed: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZqS9Ml ... share_link
-- bugfix: (2-1-5) batch edit L5 failed after the first file for mkv input
-- Code cleanup