Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
LandisKashu

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by LandisKashu »

I've been working to mux my own mp4 with DV for my LG CX (via usb). I've tried using both yusecope's tool, UsEac3To, and tsmuxer to remove the base layer and enhanced layer, then use mp4muxer to make the mp4 with ac3. The movies play and the sound is good but the lower light scenes are way too dark. Older movies seem to work better with little to no problems. Spiderman Far From Home looked 95% great with the exception of one or two dark scenes. I keep testing with Rocketman. A lot of the scenes are so dark with my DV files that the entire background is black. Here's a comparison on my CX with Rocketman DV and HDR. Any thoughts on what's going wrong?
Image Image
Last edited by LandisKashu on Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:06 pm
Can someone with Google Chromecast test a new update? Google just pushed a new software update, which is supposed to fix a refresh rate and enhance audio and video handling. Thank you!
Edit:

According to the post in reddit, this update did not add an auto frame rate
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mulucy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:19 pm
mulucy wrote:
Can someone with Google Chromecast test a new update? Google just pushed a new software update, which is supposed to fix a refresh rate and enhance audio and video handling. Thank you!
Edit:

Google, Netflix, Prime have no interest in frame rate matching, it won’t happen on the CCwGTV.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:43 am
Google, Netflix, Prime have no interest in frame rate matching, it won’t happen on the CCwGTV.
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? You'd think they'd be interested in having as good a presentation as reasonably possible for their service. Well, maybe not Amazon (I think their UI on all their products is a dumpster fire). But I would think frame rate matching is moving into the table stakes category of things for new devices that plug into an HDMI port on a TV. Are their other forces at play pushing in the opposite direction?
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
mulucy wrote:
mulucy wrote:
Edit:

I had a chance to buy one and test it, packed it, and going to return it ASAP. Can confirm the lack of frame rate matching, kind of a big deal for me since I watch the mix of European content with some US channels. Can also confirm undocumented support for FEL DV, which works fine. I noticed some minor stability issues when you are skipping or rewinding, related to a black screen with sound only and no picture, but then it catches up with the playback. Chapters worked well with FEL ( some lags here and there, not perfect). SL DV files worked better with no hiccups. One of the main issues I encountered using Vizio ( my bedroom TCL 6-series did not have this problem ) is the playback was getting stuck whatever HDR format was used previously, either it was stuck at HDR10 or Dolby Vision. You can manually change the display settings and push SDR or restart under the system settings. Overall, it felt like a half-baked product with a laggy UI. It still needs some more development to polish the UI and make it more stable. Also, Disney Plus does not support DV if I am not mistaken, FYI.

No matter what device I use or try, I find myself going back to Fire TV Stick 4K for convenience sake ( this small thing is a tank! It's so stable ). And if I want to watch movies with FEL and lossless sound, I just go with Sony X700. Someone also mentioned a firmware update for the Zidoo Z9X. It now pretty much supports all the formats and disks with DV except FEL playback ( it does play FEL but like Nvidia Shield with no Red push ). So it could be a great addition to a home theater setup if you care about an all-in-one streaming box ( BTW, the Blur-Ray menu is not supported on disks with DV )
Low Winter Sun

Post by Low Winter Sun »

Don't worry about 12 bit color. Your TV can't handle it anyway. According to this guy, we haven't even reached the potential of 10 bit yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUrcPt6pVHs
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:27 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Out of curiosity, why do you say that? You'd think they'd be interested in having as good a presentation as reasonably possible for their service. Well, maybe not Amazon (I think their UI on all their products is a dumpster fire). But I would think frame rate matching is moving into the table stakes category of things for new devices that plug into an HDMI port on a TV. Are their other forces at play pushing in the opposite direction?
Hi I have the Nvidia Shield, they have a beta frame match option and an unofficial frame rate app which as now fallen out of development, the reason this has never got out of beta is Amazon don’t support it, Netflix used to support it but now it has come a convoluted mess.
The Nvidia devs are constantly told from the big streaming services that consumer research shows the average person doesn’t even register dropped frames or sped up playback, but they do register black screens every time they change stream/ exit to menu / play a trailer - the constant black re-synch screen on a streaming service is the biggest complaint by Joe bloggs on services that have supported it or attempted to support it that’s why your nicely consumer priced CCwGTV won’t push for support.
Kocal

Post by Kocal »

hello! I am looking for the cheapest method to watch mp4 DV DL fel / mel
x700 is the best buy?
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:15 am
dcoke22 wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Hi I have the Nvidia Shield, they have a beta frame match option and an unofficial frame rate app which as now fallen out of development, the reason this has never got out of beta is Amazon don’t support it, Netflix used to support it but now it has come a convoluted mess.
The Nvidia devs are constantly told from the big streaming services that consumer research shows the average person doesn’t even register dropped frames or sped up playback, but they do register black screens every time they change stream/ exit to menu / play a trailer - the constant black re-synch screen on a streaming service is the biggest complaint by Joe bloggs on services that have supported it or attempted to support it that’s why your nicely consumer priced CCwGTV won’t push for support.
Wouldn't make sense to have that option disabled in system settings and have the service/app developer to decide from there?
It makes zero sense not to implement it regardless of what research says. Apple and Amazon had this option since 1945
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Kocal wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:35 pm
hello! I am looking for the cheapest method to watch mp4 DV DL fel / mel
x700 is the best buy?
Chromecast with Google TV does support FEL/MEL with MKV/MP4 with lossy sound only. Sony X700 all containers but MKV, plus it supports lossless audio.

Sony X700 - for the best picture quality
Google TV - convenience
Kocal

Post by Kocal »

Chromecast with Google TV does support FEL/MEL with MKV/MP4 with lossy sound only. Sony X700 all containers but MKV, plus it supports lossless audio.

Sony X700 - for the best picture quality
Google TV - convenience
thanks! :D
I need to use plex with chromecast? and why does the x700 have better video quality if they support the same format?
Hoosier205

Post by Hoosier205 »

mulucy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:19 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
mulucy wrote:
I had a chance to buy one and test it, packed it, and going to return it ASAP. Can confirm the lack of frame rate matching, kind of a big deal for me since I watch the mix of European content with some US channels. Can also confirm undocumented support for FEL DV, which works fine. I noticed some minor stability issues when you are skipping or rewinding, related to a black screen with sound only and no picture, but then it catches up with the playback. Chapters worked well with FEL ( some lags here and there, not perfect). SL DV files worked better with no hiccups. One of the main issues I encountered using Vizio ( my bedroom TCL 6-series did not have this problem ) is the playback was getting stuck whatever HDR format was used previously, either it was stuck at HDR10 or Dolby Vision. You can manually change the display settings and push SDR or restart under the system settings. Overall, it felt like a half-baked product with a laggy UI. It still needs some more development to polish the UI and make it more stable. Also, Disney Plus does not support DV if I am not mistaken, FYI.

No matter what device I use or try, I find myself going back to Fire TV Stick 4K for convenience sake ( this small thing is a tank! It's so stable ). And if I want to watch movies with FEL and lossless sound, I just go with Sony X700. Someone also mentioned a firmware update for the Zidoo Z9X. It now pretty much supports all the formats and disks with DV except FEL playback ( it does play FEL but like Nvidia Shield with no Red push ). So it could be a great addition to a home theater setup if you care about an all-in-one streaming box ( BTW, the Blur-Ray menu is not supported on disks with DV )
If you are still seeing any red push, it has nothing to do with the Shield.
darrrkmanxxx

Post by darrrkmanxxx »

Hey Guys,
Since Plex version 8.13 Dolby Vision files stopped playing back on my Philips TV 65OLED934/12 running Android TV Pie. The files I’m trying to playback are MKV with DV Profile 07.06.
Everything works fine with version 8.12.2.22756, but as soon as I update Plex app won’t play any DV mkv file.
I already tried to ask in the Plex forum, but nobody replied.
Am I missing something? Any ideas?
Amy alternative player I can use to trigger DV in mkv?
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mulucy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 4:39 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:15 am
dcoke22 wrote:

Wouldn't make sense to have that option disabled in system settings and have the service/app developer to decide from there?
It makes zero sense not to implement it regardless of what research says. Apple and Amazon had this option since 1945
Amazon and Apple have their own OS and as such are responsible for the up keeping of the apps that are deployed on that system so I believe.
Google devs don’t give a hoot, it’s an inconvenience for them, they would love the world to exist in 60fps.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

galarond wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 2:55 am
Hi, kinda off topic but related, if i already have a muxed dual layer DV mp4 file theres any way to add SRT subs to that mp4 without encoding the video? i tried several softwares but they converted the file to HDR or just doesnt do anything/gets errors. Thanks
Hi, use them as external?
If not you will need to learn mp4 box I think (command line).