Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
saf001

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by saf001 »

This is the only way I can get Dolby Vision to work in my setup.

Sony 950H->Native Plex App->non-HD audio->Dolby Vision works
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro->Plex App->Any audio HD included->Dolby Vision works

Both Sony and Shield are hard wired with the content coming off a Linux server with NAS storage (ZFS). Sometimes I'll get some stuttering and I'm not sure what is causing this. I think it may be related to audio which is odd since everything passes through the Denon 4700 AVR.

One backup, Ne Zha, displayed the horrible red issue that has been discussed here from time to time with Dolby Vision. That was unwatchable. Other than that when everything aligns the picture is incredible.
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

saf001 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:22 pm
Sony 950H->Native Plex App->non-HD audio->Dolby Vision works
Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro->Plex App->Any audio HD included->Dolby Vision works
This is same for me except replacing 950H/Denon 4700 (your devices) with my Sony 900H/Denon X3300W AVR.
whatsmyname

Post by whatsmyname »

Does anyone know if the new Reavon player can play Dolby Vision .mkv?
glc650

Post by glc650 »

whatsmyname wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:20 pm
Does anyone know if the new Reavon player can play Dolby Vision .mkv?
The better question is if it plays DTDL FEL. Also, the speed of the network port.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

Are you guys aware someone from BHD ( and some other trackers ) came up with a script to use the online WEB-DL DV layer and combine it with a UHD disk HDR10 layer? Like the movies from Disney Plus. It's DV with streaming, but HDR10 with the UHD disks. As I am typing this, I am trying to get my hands on the script. Will share it once I have it.
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

mulucy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:10 pm
Are you guys aware someone from BHD ( and some other trackers ) came up with a script to use the online WEB-DL DV layer and combine it with a UHD disk HDR10 layer? Like the movies from Disney Plus. It's DV with streaming, but HDR10 with the UHD disks. As I am typing this, I am trying to get my hands on the script. Will share it once I have it.
Interesting. Looing forward to this, especially, if can be combined with ripped MKV HDR10 titles
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

liamtoh1 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:00 pm
mulucy wrote:
Interesting. Looing forward to this, especially, if can be combined with ripped MKV HDR10 titles
There is already Marvel Endgame 2019 remux available in P8 and HDR10 compatible. It works with most devices like Fire TV, Shield and etc. The DV RPU was extracted from Disney Plus and it was later combined with the HDR10 later from UHD Disk. I am working on getting the script. Wish me luck!
edit:
I was pointed here - https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool
Last edited by mulucy on Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

mulucy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:02 pm
liamtoh1 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:00 pm
mulucy wrote:
There is already Marvel Endgame 2019 remux available in P8 and HDR10 compatible. It works with most devices like Fire TV, Shield and etc. The DV RPU was extracted from Disney Plus and it was later combined with the HDR10 later from UHD Disk. I am working on getting the script. Wish me luck!
edit:
I was pointed here - https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool
Looks like that's quietvoid's tool. Nice work @quietvoid!
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

FWIW the profile conversion has been available for a couple months.
I just recently added ways to manipulate the metadata enough to be able to get it usable for different video (different length, letterbox bars, etc.)

The profile 5 to 8 is still very much experimental, and I'm not even sure if there's an advantage in using it when real profile 5 video is available.
Profile 5 colorspace is also significantly better for compression, so it might still look better than "hybrid" HDR10 file, picture quality wise.

Everything is based on Dolby's sample streams, which are the same content available in both profiles.
The code basically only leaves trim passes and analysed min/max/avg brightness parts of the metadata untouched (so all the metadata blocks).
The coefficients are changed to match profile 7/8.

So far there has not been any objective comparison between original profile 5 and converted profile 8.
If anyone finds something weird, I'm always open to suggestions on Github.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:16 pm
So far there has not been any objective comparison between original profile 5 and converted profile 8.
Sounds like a challenge for @RESET_9999 and @Mannix if they're still around! The bitrate upgrade in the hybrid may be worth the trouble if the comparisons look relatively similar in terms of brightness levels
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

quietvoid wrote:
FWIW the profile conversion has been available for a couple months.
I just recently added ways to manipulate the metadata enough to be able to get it usable for different video (different length, letterbox bars, etc.)

The profile 5 to 8 is still very much experimental, and I'm not even sure if there's an advantage in using it when real profile 5 video is available.
Profile 5 colorspace is also significantly better for compression, so it might still look better than "hybrid" HDR10 file, picture quality wise.

Everything is based on Dolby's sample streams, which are the same content available in both profiles.
The code basically only leaves trim passes and analysed min/max/avg brightness parts of the metadata untouched (so all the metadata blocks).
The coefficients are changed to match profile 7/8.

If anyone finds something weird, I'm always open to suggestions on Github.
So there is this file Marvel Endgame with Dolby Vision from UHD disk. The disk only contains the HDR10 track. My understanding someone at BHD extracted the WEB-Dl with P5 RPU and merged it with the HDR10 track from the UHD disk. The final video is P8 with HDR10 layer. So, this is not a conversion from P5 >> P8, correct? And there is another video with Black Widow with P8 and HDR10 fallback on BHD. Again, someone took the WEB-Dl P5 and converted it to P8. This approach kind of makes sense based on what you are saying above since the method it's still experimental. I am very confused lol.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:16 pm
quietvoid wrote:
Sounds like a challenge for @RESET_9999 and @Mannix if they're still around! The bitrate upgrade in the hybrid may be worth the trouble if the comparisons look relatively similar in terms of brightness levels
Well said, we definitely need @RESET_9999 and @Mannix to make some expert comparisons
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:16 pm
quietvoid wrote:
I've been quiet but I'm still reading this thread. :)
I agree with you , the bitrate upgrade totally worth it if the conversion is properly done and from a quick test session, I don't see any difference between the original P5 and the converted P8 file.
I even muxed two different video sources: this is LOKI from Hotstar India 22mb/s profile 5 rpu converted to profile 8 and then injected to the Disney+ 16mb/s HDR10 release(which I added 72 frames to match the DV version frames count).

camera comparison: https://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/16021

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 4117 (0x1015)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.06, BL+RPU, HDR10 compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 50 min 22 s
Bit rate                                 : 15.4 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 24.000 FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.077
Stream size                              : 5.41 GiB (89%)
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : BT.2020
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0000 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

mulucy wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:21 pm
So there is this file Marvel Endgame with Dolby Vision from UHD disk. The disk only contains the HDR10 track. My understanding someone at BHD extracted the WEB-Dl with P5 RPU and merged it with the HDR10 track from the UHD disk. The final video is P8 with HDR10 layer. So, this is not a conversion from P5 >> P8, correct? And there is another video with Black Widow with P8 and HDR10 fallback on BHD. Again, someone took the WEB-Dl P5 and converted it to P8. This approach kind of makes sense based on what you are saying above since the method it's still experimental. I am very confused lol.
They are both profile 5 to profile 8 conversions, because the metadata source is profile 5.

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm
I agree with you , the bitrate upgrade totally worth it if the conversion is properly done and from a quick test session, I don't see any difference between the original P5 and the converted P8 file.
I even muxed two different video sources: this is LOKI from Hotstar India 22mb/s profile 5 rpu converted to profile 8 and then injected to the Disney+ 16mb/s HDR10 release(which I added 72 frames to match the DV version frames count).

Very cool, thank you for the comparison.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:26 pm

Would this be somewhat of an expected result? My thinking is that both the Hotstar and Disney+ releases are probably from the same master, just that one is offered at a higher bitrate. Maybe a better comparison would be taking the profile 5 RPU from one of the Disney+ Marvel or Star Wars films and applying it to the corresponding UHD disk HDR10 layers. This will probably lead to some varied results, though, as I'm guessing whether or not a disc release and its digital counterpart are from the same master will be different from film to film.