Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
uhdiznotenough4mee

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by uhdiznotenough4mee »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 3:41 pm
uhdiznotenough4mee wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 2:48 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 am
Does anyone know a way to reduce the brightness of subtitles in hdr? They are blinding in dark scenes.
Thanks to quietvoid you can use this great tool: https://github.com/quietvoid/subtitle_tonemap

- put "BDSup2Sub512.jar" inside the folder with "subtitle_tonemap.exe"

- example of usage: subtitle_tonemap.exe "folder_with_pgs_subs" -o "folder_with_tonemapped_subs" -p 62

- the path to folders with .pgs subs should end without "\"
sorry but I downloaded the zip file but there's no subtitle_tonemap.exe. Could you let me know where it is?

Also, how do we find the folder that contains pgs subs?
You need to tonemap your pgs subs before you mux them.

Here (of course if you are using Win): https://github.com/quietvoid/subtitle_t ... s-msvc.zip
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 pm

Here (of course if you are using Win): https://github.com/quietvoid/subtitle_t ... s-msvc.zip
Thanks for the exe file. How do I extract the original pgs sub file from the film's bluray folder and reattach the tonemapped version to the film?
Last edited by deadchip12 on Wed May 18, 2022 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rco133

Post by rco133 »

Hi.

This thread has become massive, and I am not sure if this is the right place to ask, since it is probably not makemkv related, but DV related.

I got a mkv file showing the following in mediainfo:

Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible

How it has been made I have no idea, and I don't know if the EL is MEL or FEL. All I know is that the BL has been encoded. If this has been done with the EL still inside the source file, or if they have been demuxed and just the BL encoded and the EL injected afterwards I don't know.

The mkv file itself is cropped to 3840x1636 with no black areas top/bottom.

When I do a frameinfo (from DVT tools) of frame 1000 I see the following:

"Level5": {
"active_area_left_offset": 0,
"active_area_right_offset": 0,
"active_area_top_offset": 263,
"active_area_bottom_offset": 263
}

Is it really correct that top/bottom should be set to 263, when the BL has been encoded and been cropped. Does it not mean that the DV in the EL will only have an active area of 3577x1899, and the top/bottom 263 pixels will have no DV? Should top and bottom not be set to zero, when the BL has been cropped.

This might very well be a stupid question, but I am just trying to get my head around all this DV stuff :-)

Thanks in advance.

rco133
uhdiznotenough4mee

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:08 pm

Thanks for the exe file. How do I extract the pgs sub file from the film's bluray folder and reattach the tonemapped version to the film?
Demux them using eac3to or DGDemux for example -> put them in some folder named "subs" -> create another folder inside folder "subs" named "tonemapped" -> open subtitle_tonemap.exe in cmd.exe and use this command: subtitle_tonemap.exe "C:\bin\subs" -o "C:\bin\subs\tonemapped" -p 60
-o = output
-p = % to multiply the final color of the subtitle. Defaults to 60%

-> mux them with MKVToolnix to your video file... that's it, done.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

rco133 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:11 pm
Is it really correct that top/bottom should be set to 263, when the BL has been encoded and been cropped.
nop, that's incorrect and if you play the file on an LG OLED, it will display the movie overcropped in 3840x1110...
Profile 7 BL, shouldn't be re-encoded. I read somewhere here that the BL contains EL residues(which are lost when you re-encode).

EDIT: because the EL is not cropped, L5 of 263/263 should not overcrop...
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Wed May 18, 2022 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Wed May 18, 2022 4:23 pm
deadchip12 wrote:

Thanks for the exe file. How do I extract the pgs sub file from the film's bluray folder and reattach the tonemapped version to the film?
Demux them using eac3to or DGDemux for example -> put them in some folder named "subs" -> create another folder inside folder "subs" named "tonemapped" -> open subtitle_tonemap.exe in cmd.exe and use this command: subtitle_tonemap.exe "C:\bin\subs" -o "C:\bin\subs\tonemapped" -p 60
-o = output

My films are in bluray folder structure, so I used tsmuxer to demux the subtitle file. I followed the instructions but got this error:
Last edited by deadchip12 on Wed May 18, 2022 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uhdiznotenough4mee

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:33 pm
Wed May 18, 2022 4:23 pm
deadchip12 wrote:

-o = output

actually my films are in bluray folder structure, so does this method still work?
Are those udh blu-rays in folder structure? Those should already have tonemapped subs so watching them in HDR should not be a problem . Only subtitles from regular blu-rays ought to be tonemapped when putting them to HDR video.
You can still create a folder structure using TSmuxer if I am not mistaken.
rco133

Post by rco133 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:24 pm
rco133 wrote:
Is it really correct that top/bottom should be set to 263, when the BL has been encoded and been cropped.
nop, that's incorrect and if you play the file on an LG OLED, it will display the movie overcropped in 3840x1373...

Profile 7 BL, shouldn't be re-encoded. I read somewhere here that the BL contains EL residues(which are lost when you re-encode).
Thank you very much for the answer.

What if the BL and the EL is demuxed, the BL encoded (cropped) and then after encoding, either inject the static RPU data, with top/bottom set to 0, or join the encoded BL with the non encoded EL (FEL/MEL) and then mux with mkvmerge afterwards?

Or is it just a doomedays project to make a encoded and cropped Single Track / Dual Layer mkv file with DV data that actually works (there are plenty of them to be found, but how they are made I don't know).

Looking in mediainfo all looks fine and dandy. But the question should be wether the files actually works or not.

All this DV stuff makes my head spin :-)

rco133
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Wed May 18, 2022 4:46 pm
Are those udh blu-rays in folder structure? Those should already have tonemapped subs so watching them in HDR should not be a problem . Only subtitles from regular blu-rays ought to be tonemapped when putting them to HDR video.
Yes they are uhd blurays. Some movies still have overly bright subtitles in hdr - Disney movies like Black Widow or Spider-Man: Far From Home. You don't see any uhd movies with such issue on your end? This seems to be quite a common complaints, especially among people who watch movies in the dark.

I used tsmuxer to demux the pgs subtitle file, followed your instructions but got this error:

Edit: wait, maybe I demuxed the wrong sub. Let me try again.
Last edited by deadchip12 on Wed May 18, 2022 5:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

rco133 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:51 pm

What if the BL and the EL is demuxed, the BL encoded (cropped) and then after encoding, either inject the static RPU data, with top/bottom set to 0, or join the encoded BL with the non encoded EL (FEL/MEL) and then mux with mkvmerge afterwards?

Or is it just a doomedays project to make a encoded and cropped Single Track / Dual Layer mkv file with DV data that actually works (there are plenty of them to be found, but how they are made I don't know).

Looking in mediainfo all looks fine and dandy. But the question should be wether the files actually works or not.

rco133
L5 should be set to 0 when the video is cropped. And profile 8 should be used.
The BL of a FEL bluray should not be re-encoded at all( even if the file works). see viewtopic.php?p=94396#p94396
Last edited by RESET_9999 on Wed May 18, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uhdiznotenough4mee

deadchip12 wrote:
Yes they are uhd blurays. Some movies still have overly bright subtitles in hdr - Disney movies like Black Widow or Spider-Man: Far From Home. You don't see any uhd movies with such issue on your end?

I use tsmuxer to demux the pgs subtitle file, followed the instructions but got this error:
Did you put "BDSup2Sub512.jar" to the same directory as subtitle_tonemap.exe?

https://www.videohelp.com/download/BDSup2Sub512.jar
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Wed May 18, 2022 4:58 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Yes they are uhd blurays. Some movies still have overly bright subtitles in hdr - Disney movies like Black Widow or Spider-Man: Far From Home. You don't see any uhd movies with such issue on your end?

I use tsmuxer to demux the pgs subtitle file, followed the instructions but got this error:

Yep. Still the same error.

uhdiznotenough4mee

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:30 pm
Wed May 18, 2022 4:58 pm
deadchip12 wrote:

Yep. Still the same error.

Maybe there is a issue with those subs demuxed using tsmuxer... Try with eac3to: http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

in cmd: eac3to.exe "blu-ray_folder" [choose 1) or 2) or different choice if blu-rays got more playlists] and then number for subtitles you want with the path where you want it

example: eac3to.exe "black_widow_uhd" 1) 6:C:\bin\english.sup 7:C:\bin\spanish.sup etc.

EDIT: CAN YOU UPLOAD THAT .sup file somewhere for me? you can PM me if you want.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 pm

Maybe there is a issue with those subs demuxed using tsmuxer... Try with eac3to: http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip

in cmd: eac3to.exe "blu-ray_folder" [choose 1) or 2) or different choice if blu-rays got more playlists] and then number for subtitles you want with the path where you want it

example: eac3to.exe "black_widow_uhd" 1) 6:C:\bin\english.sup 7:C:\bin\spanish.sup etc.

EDIT: CAN YOU UPLOAD THAT .sup file somewhere for me? you can PM me if you want.
I sent you a pm.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

rco133 wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:24 pm
rco133 wrote:
nop, that's incorrect and if you play the file on an LG OLED, it will display the movie overcropped in 3840x1373...

rco133
if it's mel dual layer on the disc you can encode base layer and convert mel p7 extension layer to p8 rpu and inject that into encoded bl

fel has to remain untouched (unless access to pro tools?) from what i've seen

this is what I do with my UHD files

something to note found over on Plex forums someone here might find useful

apple tv users can only stream p5 to apple tv if codec id is dvh1, not with dvhe as mp4muxer puts out

see this post here for more: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-displays- ... =staknhalo