Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
DaMacFunkin

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:22 am
I also have the google chromecast 4K dv
Its like the Xbox-1 only does LLDV no rgb8 capable dv. But as a consumer’s u would never know that without a vertex.
Plays well/ better frame rate matching than firestick,
Colors are a diff story, ( more testing needed).
Audio I can let u guys know later today.
Any clips I can test??
Audio wise??
Hi, I have Chromecast with Google TV and frame rate switching is not supported, also there is no HD audio support and Plex app is outputting AAC 5.1 / 7.1 as PCM 2.0.
All these limitations are currently being discussed on Kodi and Plex forums.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

yusesope wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:52 am
LG CX 2020 owners, for example, may be interested - they could take advantage of GAMMA's speed to generate MP4 files with DV (profile 8.1) and with custom audio and subtitles.
Is anyone interested or am I wasting my time?
I have an LG CX so happy to test. I’m not sure if it would gain anything over the fire stick though? But would be great for comparisons and it might even end up being better if some of the hdmi vs internal apps DV ‘settings’ queries turn out to be true. I’d love to try getting 7.1 pcm out of it as well, I didn’t know mp4 could contain that.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

PlatypusW wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:39 am
I have an LG CX so happy to test. I’m not sure if it would gain anything over the fire stick though? But would be great for comparisons and it might even end up being better if some of the hdmi vs internal apps DV ‘settings’ queries turn out to be true. I’d love to try getting 7.1 pcm out of it as well, I didn’t know mp4 could contain that.
The firestick doesn't play FEL so yes, a more convenient and faster way to create mp4s would be good for use in the LG internal player.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
PlatypusW wrote:
The firestick doesn't play FEL so yes, a more convenient and faster way to create mp4s would be good for use in the LG internal player.
This is true, if there is a faster way to create a playable file then I'm all for it. Definetely willing to do some tests to see what files will playback on the CX. My last attempt didn't work out so well though :P
koolkunz

Post by koolkunz »

koolkunz wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:10 am
I have a couple of questions that might sound dumb (please bear with me I got my first Dolby Vision TV-Sony X900H last week only)

1) When we are converting FEL file to MEL we are losing the advantages FEL has over MEL right?

2) When we are converting FEL file to 8.1, does the FEL data get retained?

Also I see your exoplayer being reffered a lot in your previous posts but I couldnt find it please link it.

And can anyone guide me to what is the difference between the various dolby vision profiles?

MY final goal is to be able to play FEL dolby vision mkvs/mp4s/ts through Plex or Kodi on my Sony X900H (Android TV). MEL/8.1 profile MKVs/MP4s play correctly already.
Anyone who can answer these questions please?
yusesope

Post by yusesope »

koolkunz wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:10 am
1) When we are converting FEL file to MEL we are losing the advantages FEL has over MEL right?
2) When we are converting FEL file to 8.1, does the FEL data get retained?
Also I see your exoplayer being reffered a lot in your previous posts but I couldnt find it please link it.
And can anyone guide me to what is the difference between the various dolby vision profiles?
MY final goal is to be able to play FEL dolby vision mkvs/mp4s/ts through Plex or Kodi on my Sony X900H (Android TV). MEL/8.1 profile MKVs/MP4s play correctly already.
Correct. It is normal to have to give up something with this type of conversion (FEL->MEL) but the "losses" may not be as severe. Read THIS post and check out @RESET_9999 comparisons

Profile 8.1, by its nature, does not include any Enhancement Layer.
Read the official documentation to get an idea of ​​the various profiles (Chapter 2)

You can find my player HERE (to be used in conjunction with a DLNA server). Anyway, you better try the latest beta of PLEX.

To get an idea of ​​the capabilities of your TV then use @PapitaHD samples

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:58 am
Plex app is outputting AAC 5.1 / 7.1 as PCM 2.0.
All these limitations are currently being discussed on Kodi and Plex forums.
:shock: :shock:
Perfect for 1995 ...

PlatypusW wrote:
I have an LG CX so happy to test. I’m not sure if it would gain anything over the fire stick though? But would be great for comparisons and it might even end up being better if some of the hdmi vs internal apps DV ‘settings’ queries turn out to be true.
quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:50 am
From what I remember, owners of LG TVs have always had problems with my Single Track Dual Layer profile 7 files.
LGs were famous for their ability to play Dual Track Dual Layer profile 7 mp4 files.
Now that this functionality seems to have been inhibited, maybe my files (profile 8.1) can partially make up for the loss.
I don't have much hope in profile 7 (FEL/MEL) but the new LGs may be able to reproduce them (I am referring to the STDL files) ... only by trying will we find out.
PlatypusW wrote:
I’d love to try getting 7.1 pcm out of it as well, I didn’t know mp4 could contain that.
Technically I have the possibility to store also an ATMOS/TrueHD audio track inside an MP4 container.
The problem is the device that has to play it. For example, I don't think your LG is capable of playing a multichannel PCM track or an ATMOS/TrueHD track in an mp4 file.

I remember I was unpleasantly surprised by the eARC implementation on the 2019 LG OLEDs (especially when using the internal player). I hope things have improved.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

yusesope wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:58 pm
From what I remember, owners of LG TVs have always had problems with my Single Track Dual Layer profile 7 files.
LGs were famous for their ability to play Dual Track Dual Layer profile 7 mp4 files.
Now that this functionality seems to have been inhibited, maybe my files (profile 8.1) can partially make up for the loss.
I don't have much hope in profile 7 (FEL/MEL) but the new LGs may be able to reproduce them (I am referring to the STDL files) ... only by trying will we find out.
Oh, I thought you were referring to dual track mp4 as well. Those are pretty much the only reason I'd convert to mp4, because the C8 still supports them as profile 7 FEL.
8.1 being the only option kinda kills the idea for me, I'd just remux to MKV and play on the Firestick.
I think I've read that the 2020 models had an update that made them unable to play the dual track files.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

quietvoid wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:00 pm
I think I've read that the 2020 models had an update that made them unable to play the dual track files.
That’s a bit worrying. I wonder how long fire stick / shield lasts if that was the case :shock:
No doubt Dolby forced them too...
kws53

Post by kws53 »

yusesope wrote:

Only the latest version of Mediainfo (Version 20.09, 2020-10-09) is capable of detecting DV in a MKV container.
I sincerely hope your version of Mediainfo is up to date...
otherwise...
I will look for you, I will find you, and I will patch you...
Indeed I wasn't aware of the failings of MediaInfo 20.08. Upgraded to 20.09 and good to go.
Next challenge - will Plex or Shield recognize the MKV as DV?

Thanks, again.
dmartinvera00

Post by dmartinvera00 »

Hello. I don't know how to mux the .dtshd to the .mp4 (muxed with mp4muxer), I've tried with mp4box but it says this message

E:\gpac-0.9.0-DEV-latest-filters-x64>MP4Box -add 2.dtshd dsd.mp4
[FFDmx] Fail to open 2.dtshd - error Error number -360024468 occurred
[Importer] Error probing 2.dtshd
Error importing 2.dtshd: Filter not found for the desired type
dapope

Post by dapope »

PlatypusW wrote:
yusesope wrote:
LG CX 2020 owners, for example, may be interested - they could take advantage of GAMMA's speed to generate MP4 files with DV (profile 8.1) and with custom audio and subtitles.
Is anyone interested or am I wasting my time?
I tested flac and wav surround speaker set up files. LG CX internal player only seems to know what to do with the stereo channels. I think you are unlikely to get 7.1 pcm playback.
longseason

Post by longseason »

Apologies if I've missed this somewhere along the line (I've read a lot of this thread but not all of it!) but has it been determined if there's some combination of MakeMKV/tsMuxeR/mp4muxer that will combine the separate 4K HEVC and 1080p DV HEVC tracks in an M2TS rip into a single HEVC stream?

I've determined that Plex (from a server, not Shield) will happily a play a single DV encoded HEVC on my LG C7 if it's muxed as a TS - but the last piece of the puzzle seems to be taking the two-stream M2TS and converting it to a single video stream, or is this part just not possible?
kws53

Post by kws53 »

Can I convert a GAMMA generated MKV DV profile 7 to a profile 5?
I'm trying to play it on a Plex Server/Shield/CX77 combo.

And is there a solution for Sony x700 through the CX77?

Using Yusesope's GAMMA, I can test a lot of options...
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

longseason wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:08 pm
Apologies if I've missed this somewhere along the line (I've read a lot of this thread but not all of it!) but has it been determined if there's some combination of MakeMKV/tsMuxeR/mp4muxer that will combine the separate 4K HEVC and 1080p DV HEVC tracks in an M2TS rip into a single HEVC stream?

I've determined that Plex (from a server, not Shield) will happily a play a single DV encoded HEVC on my LG C7 if it's muxed as a TS - but the last piece of the puzzle seems to be taking the two-stream M2TS and converting it to a single video stream, or is this part just not possible?
If you read a lot of this thread and missed the answer to that question, then yeah you missed quite a bit. The whole purpose of yusecope's tool -> tsMuxer and the new version of makemkv is to convert dual track DV into single track DV.
kws53

Post by kws53 »

longseason wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:08 pm

Possible - but how do you know it will play a single layer DV encoding? And, if so, what profile?
For TS, try Yusesope's ALPHA method
For MKV, try GAMMA method

Neither version actually needs MakeMKV if you have an alternative ripping solution...