Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
narcospablo123

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by narcospablo123 »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:34 am
Merlyn6175 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm
"single layer mp4s from DVDFab, however, remain quite questionable at best.."

I think Grencola mean DVDfabs single layer conversion is questionable, which I agree.
Some conversion work flawless on my C7 and LG UHD BLuray(USB), however films like Transformers 1-4 just mess up, red & green flashes and if I use the UHD player it looks like i've dropped my screen with vertical coloured lines tearing up the screen.
I have the same problem with bumblebee on the LG which is essentially a transformers film but it plays fine on the Shield Pto 2019.
I have the exact same problem too!
On my oppo coming up with vertical lines.
On my shield pro, it’s working.
Apologies for bringing up an old topic but was trying to find answers in what I was doing wrong! Also using DVDfab making a dvhe05.06.
Not sure if I was hallucinating or not but after a restart of the player earlier today, I played the file again and it was normal and thought the problem was fixed and didn’t think anything of it. Now I have it again and no solutions! Grrr.

https://imgur.com/a/gSowr2D

EDIT: I have fixed the solution! ( reminder this is a .mp4 dvhe05.06 )

100% working fix for the oppo/chinoppo ( maybe other UHD players too)

Switch off your OPPO. Play any dolby vision video which has an enhanced layer on it. ( I tried John Wick, Gemini man, and .mp4 Dual Track Dual layer of John Wick all working). When the dolby vision pops up in the beginning of the movie, close the movie and play your DVDfab dvhe05.06 .mp4!! )

Vertical lines vanished:D

In my opinion looks identical to the disc too:)
Last edited by narcospablo123 on Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lexyz

Post by lexyz »

narcospablo123 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:22 pm
Hello! Thankyou for your reply.

I'm a little confused by these terms sorry I might require some clarification. Does Single Layer Dual Track mean 2 different files for the Base layer and a different file for the dolby vision(EL+RPU?)
and does STDL mean it's all combined? (BL+EL+RPU)

If that's the case, then .ts SLDT works in dolby vision and atmos on oppo, but doesn't play dolby vision on shield.

The 2 which are the best are .m2ts STDL and .ts STDL but .ts STDL is hit and miss on oppo.

I cleared cache for plex on the shield and the subtitles started working! Thankyou tho!
Sorry, typo.
Meant *TS Single Track Double Layer (STDL)
Bravia XF90, Shield TV Pro'19, UBP-X700
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

galarond wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:13 am
Hi guys, a little help, mi Lg B6 just died so im looking for a new tv, of couse it must be oled, so wich tv is the best for pop up like quality for dolby vision mp4 movies? also for hdr theres any down side?
i have money for a Lg C1, anything in that range price or less would be nice.

I read that the c1 is even darker for dolby vision than the cx and the cx is already really dark so im kinda scared to go for the c1, no reviews with dolby vision or anything so it would be a blind choice for me

Any help would be really nice.

pd:i was using the sony x700 to reproduce the dv movies cause the b6 had memory issues, and i have a jbl 5.1 soundbar.
pretty sure the lg oleds haven't gotten worse in terms of PQ with each generation. If you're really worried about it and your budget can stretch it, go for the g1 evo or one of the sony master series oleds.
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

Can someone please help me? I've tried for 3 days now, my mp4muxer is giving me 0 bytes file :(
I'm trying to run mp4muxer on parallels on mac. I have no tech knowledge whatsoever. After some googling I've managed to figure out what to do when unc paths are not supported.

This is originally what it says on cmd when I ran it in the directory for mp4muxer

C:\Windows>
C:\Windows>mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file BL.hevc --input-file EL.hevc --input-file audio.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file testmp4john.mp4
'mp4muxer' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Windows>

Then I thought maybe it can't recognise the file cus it's in parallels. So I made a .bat file with PUSHD and POPD and clicked it.

'\\Mac\Home\Desktop\dlb_mp4base-master\dlb_mp4base-master\bin'
CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
UNC paths are not supported. Defaulting to Windows directory.

C:\Windows>PUSHD \\Mac\Home\Desktop\dlb_mp4base-master\dlb_mp4base-master\bin

I:\Desktop\dlb_mp4base-master\dlb_mp4base-master\bin>mp4muxer --dv-profile 7 --input-file BL.hevc --input-file EL.hevc --input-file audio.ac3 --media-lang eng --output-file testmp4john.mp4

Nothing shows up in cmd and I get a .mp4 in my folder which is 0kb. Anybody got an idea of what's going on and how to fix it please? thanks.

EDIT: I also managed to get yusesope's tool working completely on macbook with parallels using PUSHD and POPD so I don't know why this isn't working
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

I just tried it on windows boot camp where it’s identical to a windows machine. I still can’t get it to work??! I just end up with a 1kb file. What gives?

EDIT: do i have to wait for like an hour for the file to complete? it's been 20mins and it's still on 0kb

EDIT: fixed:D you just have to wait like an hour and it does it's job and shows up on folder. Time to uninstall bootcamp. Hope that code above helps anyone trying to do this on a mac, works for both mp4 muxer and yusesope's tool using PUSHD and POPD method
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

https://www.avpasion.com/foro/t/m9702-m ... 469/page-2

One of the reputable members of this website and also avforum for the m9702 page states the following:

"dolby vision profile 7 it's ONLY support by TV, BD player and av reciver (SDK license).
Other device support ONLY LLDV = profile 05 = netflix ecc ...; DV mkv it's notting more to a "experiment" conversion 07-> 05 with many many problem"

does this basically mean in simple english that playing profile 7s on a shield in basically a waste of time because the quality of the image will be like a dolby vision 5 profile? ( without the EL layer?)

he also mentioned tv, so can LG CX/C9s play profile 7s without issues? what formats can they do this in? thanks
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

galarond wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:52 pm
Anybody here have the Lg C1 and if so, theres any playback issue with dolby vision mp4 movies with the native tv app just using a external hard drive?.
Dolby vision dual layer FEL?
Tnx.
narcospablo123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:16 pm

One of the reputable members of this website and also avforum for the m9702 page states the following:

"dolby vision profile 7 it's ONLY support by TV, BD player and av reciver (SDK license).
Other device support ONLY LLDV = profile 05 = netflix ecc ...; DV mkv it's notting more to a "experiment" conversion 07-> 05 with many many problem"

does this basically mean in simple english that playing profile 7s on a shield in basically a waste of time because the quality of the image will be like a dolby vision 5 profile? ( without the EL layer?)

he also mentioned tv, so can LG CX/C9s play profile 7s without issues? what formats can they do this in? thanks
As far as I know, LG Oleds beyond the generation of the 9 series (X and 1) are no longer capable of playing FEL files from its internal apps. The 9 series can still play dual layer dual track mp4's. There is no DV mkv support on the TV internal players.

As for the other statement, no, DV MKV is not an experiment. There is no profile 7 to profile 5 conversion happening. MKV is merely a container and no data is lost or converted when a DV disk is ripped to MKV using MakeMKV. Whether or not a specific piece of hardware is capable of playing back a DV MKV to its full capacity is another question. LLDV is not related to profiles; LLDV is a variation of how DV is transported from your source (BD Player, streaming box, etc) to the sink (TV). If your TV does not support decoding of a full DV signal (mostly early Sony Oleds), then your source has the responsibility of doing the tone mapping and sending the resulting signal to the TV (LLDV). This is inferior than just letting your TV doing the decoding and its own tone mapping, but regardless, the transport method of DV has nothing to do with profiles.

Most streaming boxes on the market that are capable of playing DV MKVs (Shield, Zidoos, Dunes) can only in reality play MEL titles. These boxes lack the secondary video decoder needed to fully process an FEL title. When these players encounter an FEL title, they will simply ignore the EL and just apply the RPU dynamic metadata to the BL. Whether this is a "waste of time" is up to the user. RPU applied to just the BL is still superior to normal HDR10 and for certain titles, even the FEL doesn't really contain that much image data. There are reports of a few streamers that are capable of fully processing FEL titles (the new google tv chromecast and some chinese Amlogic S922XJ-based boxes), but their limitations have been well documented elsewhere in this thread.
HarperVision

Post by HarperVision »

shawnc22 wrote:
galarond wrote:
Anybody here have the Lg C1 and if so, theres any playback issue with dolby vision mp4 movies with the native tv app just using a external hard drive?.
Tnx.
narcospablo123 wrote:

As far as I know, LG Oleds beyond the generation of the 9 series (X and 1) are no longer capable of playing FEL files from its internal apps. The 9 series can still play dual layer dual track mp4's. There is no DV mkv support on the TV internal players.

As for the other statement, no, DV MKV is not an experiment. There is no profile 7 to profile 5 conversion happening. MKV is merely a container and no data is lost or converted when a DV disk is ripped to MKV using MakeMKV. Whether or not a specific piece of hardware is capable of playing back a DV MKV to its full capacity is another question. LLDV is not related to profiles; LLDV is a variation of how DV is transported from your source (BD Player, streaming box, etc) to the sink (TV). If your TV does not support decoding of a full DV signal (mostly early Sony Oleds), then your source has the responsibility of doing the tone mapping and sending the resulting signal to the TV (LLDV). This is inferior than just letting your TV doing the decoding and its own tone mapping, but regardless, the transport method of DV has nothing to do with profiles.

Most streaming boxes on the market that are capable of playing DV MKVs (Shield, Zidoos, Dunes) can only in reality play MEL titles. These boxes lack the secondary video decoder needed to fully process an FEL title. When these players encounter an FEL title, they will simply ignore the EL and just apply the RPU dynamic metadata to the BL. Whether this is a "waste of time" is up to the user. RPU applied to just the BL is still superior to normal HDR10 and for certain titles, even the FEL doesn't really contain that much image data. There are reports of a few streamers that are capable of fully processing FEL titles (the new google tv chromecast and some chinese Amlogic S922XJ-based boxes), but their limitations have been well documented elsewhere in this thread.
This is not true. LLDV is Profile 5 of the Dolby Vision specs. This Dolby profile was developed, written and added in cooperation with Sony and Microsoft. For Sony it was due to their older TVs not having the processing power to decode the full DV 8-bit RGB signal. For Microsoft, who I believe was the first to use it, it was for as the name implies, Low Latency for gaming on their XBox platforms.
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

HarperVision wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm
shawnc22 wrote:
galarond wrote:
Tnx.
narcospablo123 wrote:

This is not true. LLDV is Profile 5 of the Dolby Vision specs. This Dolby profile was developed, written and added in cooperation with Sony and Microsoft. For Sony it was due to their older TVs not having the processing power to decode the full DV 8-bit RGB signal. For Microsoft, who I believe was the first to use it, it was for as the name implies, Low Latency for gaming on their XBox platforms.
I just tested out some files on LG E9 tv using the internal plex app, using the nvidia shield as my streaming server. I tested it with nobody and john wick which are FEL dolby vision movies.

1. I tried 3 different mp4 05.06 BL+RPU made with (DVDfab, yusescope 0.0.3, and yusescope alfa 0.0.4) - They're all playing but with a dark layer strip at the top, (not sure why this is happening)
2. mp4 dual layer dual track 07.06 is working with full dolby vision no issues with image
3. mp4 dual layer single track 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision
4. mkv single track dual layer 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with ( edit and corrected: HDR)

thanks for your info @shaw, everything you mentioned in your first paragraph is basically correct. I was wondering why yusesope's 0.0.3 tool is making a file which is approximately the same size as the BL alone when I convert it to BL+RPU and so dooes DVDfab. However, if I use his 0.0.4 tool, his BL+RPU is approximately the same size as the BL+EL+RPU but a little bit less which makes me inclined to believe his 0.0.4 tool is the one which is working correctly to make BL+RPU files.

@harpervision. Ah thanks mate, that makes sense too! so anything we stream such as netflix or game in dolby vision is going to be BL+RPU? so it's missing the EL layer? makes sense why netflix movies don't ever look as good as the oppo
Last edited by narcospablo123 on Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

HarperVision wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:20 pm
Might be my confusion of the semantics a bit. LLDV and Player-led DV have been used so interchangeably in other places that it can get a bit confusing. If LLDV is truly just another way of referring to profile 5, then my fault. What I really was referring to is that Player-led and TV-led DV has nothing to do with profiles.

edit: actually, I just went back rewatched Vincent's video on player-led vs tv-led DV (https://youtu.be/e_a77zJTrO4) and he does use LLDV and player-led interchangeably. Maybe the definition of LLDV has evolved over the years, but it does seem like LLDV, as being defined now as just another way of saying player-led DV, is independent of DV profiles. Also found a similar discussion here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?ti ... pid2956857
Last edited by shawnc22 on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

narcospablo123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:40 pm
I just tested out some files on LG E9 tv using the internal plex app, using the nvidia shield as my streaming server. I tested it with nobody and john wick which are FEL dolby vision movies.

1. I tried 3 different mp4 05.06 BL+RPU made with (DVDfab, yusescope 0.0.3, and yusescope alfa 0.0.4) - They're all playing but with a dark layer strip at the top, (not sure why this is happening)
2. mp4 dual layer dual track 07.06 is working with full dolby vision no issues with image
3. mp4 dual layer single track 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision
4. mkv single track dual layer 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision

thanks for your info @shaw, everything you mentioned in your first paragraph is basically correct. I was wondering why yusesope's 0.0.3 tool is making a file which is approximately the same size as the BL alone when I convert it to BL+RPU and so dooes DVDfab. However, if I use his 0.0.4 tool, his BL+RPU is approximately the same size as the BL+EL+RPU but a little bit less which makes me inclined to believe his 0.0.4 tool is the one which is working correctly to make BL+RPU files.

@harpervision. Ah thanks mate, that makes sense too! so anything we stream such as netflix or game in dolby vision is going to be BL+RPU? so it's missing the EL layer? makes sense why netflix movies don't ever look as good as the oppo
Why are you trying to make BL+RPU profile 5 files from UHD disks? Most devices that cannot process the EL will simply ignore the EL if you feed it an FEL title. Profile 5 and 7 are in different color spaces, and there are no tools out there (including the ones you have mentioned) that will convert one from the other. If you simply discard the EL and relabel the profile from 7 to 5, you are left with profile 5 video with its contents in a different color space, and during playback, you will likely get color issues.

Any DV content from streaming services (Netflix, HBO, Disney+, etc) is going to be in single layer BL+RPU profile 5, but this doesn't automatically make it inferior to dual layer profile 7. It all depends on how the BL was mastered. Also, the reason why your netflix movie don't look as good as a disk on an oppo is probably more due to the bitrate than anything else. The bitrate of an UHD disk can be anywhere between 3-5x that of a netflix 4k title.
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:34 pm
narcospablo123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:40 pm

4. mkv single track dual layer 07.06 BL+EL+RPU is working with full dolby vision

Why are you trying to make BL+RPU profile 5 files from UHD disks? Most devices that cannot process the EL will simply ignore the EL if you feed it an FEL title. Profile 5 and 7 are in different color spaces, and there are no tools out there (including the ones you have mentioned) that will convert one from the other. If you simply discard the EL and relabel the profile from 7 to 5, you are left with profile 5 video with its contents in a different color space, and during playback, you will likely get color issues.

Any DV content from streaming services (Netflix, HBO, Disney+, etc) is going to be in single layer BL+RPU profile 5, but this doesn't automatically make it inferior to dual layer profile 7. It all depends on how the BL was mastered. Also, the reason why your netflix movie don't look as good as a disk on an oppo is probably more due to the bitrate than anything else. The bitrate of an UHD disk can be anywhere between 3-5x that of a netflix 4k title.
The reason why I'm doing this is to just test the full capabilities of all my devices. On the shield, all the files I have mentioned above play perfectly on plex in dolby vision apart from the dual layer dual track .mp4 which plays in HDR. They all look v similar to the original UHD disc playback. They all also play on my oppo fine as well, albeit a trick is needed to play the 05.06 ones or I get vertical weird lines across the file ( see above I posted a video of it)

There is no way possible to change an original profile 7 file to a profile 5 file? Isn't that what a lot of people in this long thread have been doing? I recall for the reason to play on the likes of apple 4tv etc? DVD fab seems to be doing exactly that, you feed it a UHD disc and it pops out a single layer mp4 05.06 or a double layer dual track 07.06. Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.

I basically want a file which can play on my oppo and shield in dolby vision and yet to find a reliable one. the .ts and .m2ts single track dual layer 07.06 files seem to be hit and miss. They work on the film nobody but john wick doesn't play at all which is strange. They're both FEL titles
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

narcospablo123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:35 pm
The reason why I'm doing this is to just test the full capabilities of all my devices. On the shield, all the files I have mentioned above play perfectly on plex in dolby vision apart from the dual layer dual track .mp4 which plays in HDR. They all look v similar to the original UHD disc playback. They all also play on my oppo fine as well, albeit a trick is needed to play the 05.06 ones or I get vertical weird lines across the file ( see above I posted a video of it)

There is no way possible to change an original profile 7 file to a profile 5 file? Isn't that what a lot of people in this long thread have been doing? I recall for the reason to play on the likes of apple 4tv etc? DVD fab seems to be doing exactly that, you feed it a UHD disc and it pops out a single layer mp4 05.06 or a double layer dual track 07.06. Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.

I basically want a file which can play on my oppo and shield in dolby vision and yet to find a reliable one. the .ts and .m2ts single track dual layer 07.06 files seem to be hit and miss. They work on the film nobody but john wick doesn't play at all which is strange. They're both FEL titles
Yes, people have been converting profile 7 to profile 5s for use on appletvs and other devices through dvdfab or some other method, but that doesn't make it an accurate conversion :). A true profile 7 to profile 5 conversion requires a colorspace conversion at the very least (nevermind trying to merge the EL data into the BL), and that simply just hasn't been attempted at this point.

As for creating a file that works on the oppo and Shield, my advice would be to just keep full disk backups for your DV titles and only rip non DV titles to mkvs. This way, you can watch the DV titles on your oppo and the hdr films on your Shield. I was in the same boat and eventually just figured that since I'm never going to use the Shield to play back a DV rip anyway, I have no point in creating DV mkvs.
narcospablo123

Post by narcospablo123 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:13 pm
narcospablo123 wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:35 pm

Yes, people have been converting profile 7 to profile 5s for use on appletvs and other devices through dvdfab or some other method, but that doesn't make it an accurate conversion :). A true profile 7 to profile 5 conversion requires a colorspace conversion at the very least (nevermind trying to merge the EL data into the BL), and that simply just hasn't been attempted at this point.

As for creating a file that works on the oppo and Shield, my advice would be to just keep full disk backups for your DV titles and only rip non DV titles to mkvs. This way, you can watch the DV titles on your oppo and the hdr films on your Shield. I was in the same boat and eventually just figured that since I'm never going to use the Shield to play back a DV rip anyway, I have no point in creating DV mkvs.
ah thanks for all of the info bud! I don't particularly mind doing that. However, I just don't like leaving things without understanding the fundamentals. I'm just confused why .m2ts and .ts files single track dual layer for "john wick" don't work on the oppo but "nobody" does when they're both FEL titles. Anyway guess some things you just gotta accept
liamtoh1

Post by liamtoh1 »

What am I doing wrong? DV is not triggered when playing MKV files via Plex and Shield Pro
TV: Sony 900H (supports full DV profile)
HDMI3 - set to DV

Plex Player: Shield Pro (2019) using latest Plex App. Hardwired to AX86U router using Cat6 via switch.
Tried 2 different resolution settings - 4K 23.976 Hz and 4K 59.940 Hz

Plex Server: On a desktop PC (hardwired to AX86U router using Cat6 via switch) and library also on a HDD with movies ripped using latest MakeMKV 1.16.3
Receiver: Denon X3300W (2016 model and also supports DV).
All cables are Monoprice Premium Certified HDMI cables

Media Info for the movies mention the HDR format to be DV dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU

Example movies. LOTR, Indiana Jones, Black Panther, Matrix.
Last edited by liamtoh1 on Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.