Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
powdeau

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by powdeau »

If I want to generate DV metadata for HLG video, is it the same workflow as for HDR10 video or do I have to change something in Davinci Resolve?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

powdeau wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:06 pm
If I want to generate DV metadata for HLG video, is it the same workflow as for HDR10 video or do I have to change something in Davinci Resolve?
there's a resolve preset for hlg in the script tutorial folder.
Then the workflow is the same and when you input an HLG base layer with (1-1), the script will make/inject a p8.4 RPU.

my script will only work if your input has proper HLG flag. If not then do it manually with the dovi_tool mode 4
Chisum04

Post by Chisum04 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm

if you want to save some time, I already generated DV in resolve for most of the movies, here are over 600 RPU files ready to be injected :)

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/folder/CjYWyaZR#tSlKPhdblAd8shSaYoiOWA
Fantastic work! Just one question: Are the P5toP8-bin already edited regarding delays and L5 as listed in Web-DL overview? I am asking, because some filenames have a hint to the delay (The.DaVinci.Code -24), some have not (Philadelphia), although both have a delay according to your WEB-DL-list.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Chisum04 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:35 pm
Fantastic work! Just one question: Are the P5toP8-bin already edited regarding delays and L5 as listed in Web-DL overview?
yes, they are all in sync. You can ignore the delay notes in the filename.
If you're still not sure (different bluray region, different cut), you can use the script (2-4) and verify if the scene cut matches your bluray.
LV8HD

Post by LV8HD »

@RESET_9999 What do you think about Auto Generated Dolby Vision?
I mean, usually, behind every grade there's a human eye that checks the grade result often with the supervision of the movie director himself. So my question is: When we do custom grades (auto generated with DaVinci), is the movie director intent of watching the movie preserved? if so, is it really that better than having standard HDR10?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

LV8HD wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm
I mean, usually, behind every grade there's a human eye that checks the grade result often with the supervision of the movie director himself. So my question is: When we do custom grades (auto generated with DaVinci), is the movie director intent of watching the movie preserved? if so, is it really that better than having standard HDR10?
L1 metadata is generated by an algorithm(it just map the hdr grade) and only the L2 trims are done manually so the intended look is preserved.
whatsmyname

Post by whatsmyname »

@RESET_9999 I get an error when trying to plot DV metadata "error: The subcommand 'plot' wasn't recognized". I think I installed all the requirements and hdr10+ plotting works even though it uses the same subcommand. Is there something else I need to do or is this an issue with the script?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

whatsmyname wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:14 pm
@RESET_9999 I get an error when trying to plot DV metadata "error: The subcommand 'plot' wasn't recognized". I think I installed all the requirements and hdr10+ plotting works even though it uses the same subcommand. Is there something else I need to do or is this an issue with the script?
Sounds like you are using the old dovi_tool version .

update to the latest one:
https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/ ... /tag/2.0.2
jayper

Post by jayper »

I have an oppo clone and have been making TS files for my hybrids, but I had a thought this morning: Any reason to think that playback would be more reliable with m2ts files given that is the standard on discs?

I really wish we could convert the profile 8 to a profile 7, so we could do create ISOs with full chapter support. That'd be amazing.
Last edited by jayper on Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whatsmyname

Post by whatsmyname »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:37 pm
whatsmyname wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:14 pm
Sounds like you are using the old dovi_tool version .

update to the latest one:
https://github.com/quietvoid/dovi_tool/ ... /tag/2.0.2
Thank you, that fixed it!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

jayper wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:50 pm
Any reason to think that playback would be more reliable with m2ts files given that is the standard on discs?
nop, none that I know.
jayper

Post by jayper »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm
if you want to save some time, I already generated DV in resolve for most of the movies, here are over 600 RPU files ready to be injected :)

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/folder/CjYWyaZR#tSlKPhdblAd8shSaYoiOWA
I came across one RPU where the number of frames is 4 frames greater than the mkv I pulled directly off the UHD disc. I went through the Hybrid maker and removed four frames. Is there anything more to it than that? This is the first one I have come across that didn't match exactly, so I wanted to make sure I am not missing something.

By the way, thank you for sharing these. It is amazing.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

jayper wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 pm
I went through the Hybrid maker and removed four frames. Is there anything more to it than that?
nothing more to do... which movie is it?
jayper

Post by jayper »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:12 pm
jayper wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:44 pm
I went through the Hybrid maker and removed four frames. Is there anything more to it than that?
nothing more to do... which movie is it?
Thanks for the reassurance.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. MKV file made with MakeMKV has 219173 frames.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:18 pm
LV8HD wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm
L1 metadata is generated by an algorithm(it just map the hdr grade) and only the L2 trims are done manually so the intended look is preserved.
So, is this generated Dolby Vision really better than having standard HDR10? well, I really though that it couldn't beat the quality of the source file.