Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Donpoku

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Donpoku »

spider-man nwm is Dve 07.06, why change it to 08.06?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Donpoku wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:19 am
spider-man nwm is Dve 07.06, why change it to 08.06?
I convert all the MEL movie to P8 so i can watch it anywhere ( TV internal player included). P7 is only useful for FEL.
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:44 pm
thetoad wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:54 am
Q, has there been any work done for colorspace conversion for DV profile 5 to HDR10 or SDR? There's plenty of work on tonemapping HDR10 to SDR, but wondering about for DV content on non DV devices.
Of course, it has been supported in libplacebo and mpv for a while now.
Also, Jellyfin has beta support for real time transcoding: https://www.reddit.com/r/jellyfin/comme ... is_coming/
how well does this work on linux? i.e. would the same gemini lake CPUs that can tonemap HDR10 to SDR also be able to handle DV to SDR? I'm also wondering about DV to HDR10, the link only says sdr)
thetoad

Post by thetoad »

JoseTheBae wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:07 am
Is there some trick to enabling lossless audio in Plex on the Ugoos AM6B Plus? Lossless audio works in Kodi. Oddly, the 32-bit Kodinerds build seems to discard the Full Enhancement Layer in Dolby Vision, even though Plex plays it perfectly. If I can just get lossless audio working in Plex, I will finally achieve full Dolby Vision (FEL) playback.
what plays the FEL? All I've heard is things that "work" with FEL play the MEL and ignore the FEL. so they play, but they don't play the full dolby vision experience. has this actually changed?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

thetoad wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 4:56 pm
how well does this work on linux? i.e. would the same gemini lake CPUs that can tonemap HDR10 to SDR also be able to handle DV to SDR? I'm also wondering about DV to HDR10, the link only says sdr)
No idea, I don't use jellyfin.
dvfan

Post by dvfan »

I'm wondering, using Sony A80J Internal Player ( via USB ) does not play mp4 profile 8 DV files converted by ffmpeg to mp4 ( it includes DV metadata ) though player says "File can't be opened"

MKV Profile 8 file playsback but no DV, just HDR10.

Through PLEX it works with Dolby Vision.

I just want to know why the Sony gets an error when trying to open MP4 with DV P8?

Any way to convert MKV to TS by also keeping DV metadata? May try with TS for the internal player.

Or may try tsmuxer ( load up the MKV DV P8 ) and mux it into TS?
sw5163

Post by sw5163 »

dvfan wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:41 am
I'm wondering, using Sony A80J Internal Player ( via USB ) does not play mp4 profile 8 DV files converted by ffmpeg to mp4 ( it includes DV metadata ) though player says "File can't be opened"
Are you sure ffmpeg can configure the DV box correctly?
Im using ffmpeg 4.4, it seems it ignores DV when generating mp4.
Maybe try mp4muxer for proper DV mp4 generation?
Most TV internal player don't support DV in MKV.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Yikes... this is incredibly confusing.

What are the most recommend player(s) for best compatibility with the DV/Atmos formats?
dwalme

Post by dwalme »

sofakng wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:40 pm
What are the most recommend player(s) for best compatibility with the DV/Atmos formats?
Take a look at this:

Playback-Devices
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Thanks... It seems like there isn't any perfect solution.

Is it safe to safe the Sony x800m2 is probably the 'best' choice?
dwalme

Post by dwalme »

sofakng wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:31 pm
Thanks... It seems like there isn't any perfect solution.

Is it safe to safe the Sony x800m2 is probably the 'best' choice?
I use three devices. X800M2 to play back all my Dolby Vision TS files using JRiver via dnla to control it.

I use a Zidoo Z9X for any Dolby Vision in MKV and the rest of my local media using HT 4.0 or now Jellyfin. I could easily use an Odroid N2 running Coreelec Kodi for anything not Dolby Vision.

Then I use other devices for direct streaming services (Apple TV 4K, TV Apps, Firestick, Roku, etc).

Everyone will have their preference.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

Thanks for the advice.

If I don’t care about FEL, the would the Zidoo be a better choice than the x800m2? (you can convert FEL to MEL anyways, right?)
dwalme

Post by dwalme »

sofakng wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:34 am
Thanks for the advice.

If I don’t care about FEL, the would the Zidoo be a better choice than the x800m2? (you can convert FEL to MEL anyways, right?)
If I did not care about FEL I would not own the X800M2. I would only use the Z9X.

Yes the Z9X ignores the EL and plays back with just the RPU data.
Last edited by dwalme on Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sofakng

Post by sofakng »

I'm still learning, but I thought I read you can convert FEL to MEL without any visual loss of quality? (ie. no TV panels can display 12-bit FEL anyways?)
goomba22

Post by goomba22 »

Hi, I am wondering if the X800M2 is able to play MKV files with Dolby Vision? It is MEL Dolby Vision and one of those MKV's with the Dolby Vision in a single track. In media info app it says HEVC Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.07.06, BL+EL+RPU, Blu-ray compatible / SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

Would it show up as Dolby Vision when played on the X800M2? Or would it have to be converted to an M2TS file with the BD file structure to be played as Dolby Vision? Or would there be no functional difference in the quality anyway since it's MEL? Thank you for any help with this as I have been trying to extract the DV layer from the MKV but not having any luck so would like to know if I'm wasting my time.