Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
knuffi123

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by knuffi123 »

Hi, I think about getting a Sony x700 and just wanted to make sure if I understand correctly, that the x700 is able to play DV P8 dual layer m2ts/ts fine? Is this independent from MEL and FEL? So no issues with FEL?

Thank you!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

knuffi123 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:09 pm
Hi, I think about getting a Sony x700 and just wanted to make sure if I understand correctly, that the x700 is able to play DV P8 dual layer m2ts/ts fine? Is this independent from MEL and FEL? So no issues with FEL?

Thank you!
the x700 can play all the DV profiles. So, yes it supports MEL / FEL-DV+ lossless audio TS/M2TS rip. I watched tons of DV movies and I never had a playback issue.
Just remux your UHD-BD with tsMuxer and you're good to go.
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

yossSP wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:14 am
shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:43 am
daicon wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:45 pm

Here say that work DV FEL:
https://www.avpasion.com/foro/t/nuevo-c ... -mel.3588/

Any try?
is true?
I'm skeptical. Even if it's capable of playing FEL, I suspect that it's just ignoring the EL like what the Shield is doing. I highly doubt that the Chromecast has the dual decoders needed to properly playback FEL.
Hi all, I have made the test with the new Chromecast with Google TV (CCWGTV)
Test platform:
  • TV OLED Panasonic TX-65HZ1000
  • Emby/Plex beta MediaServer on Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
  • Chromecast with Google TV (2020)
The results:
  • test DT DL FEL: playback as HDR10 (CCWGTV can't play dual track DV)
  • test SL p8 RPU: playback as HDR10 (without noise)
  • test ST DL FEL: playback as DV with noise during 5 seconds
What's interesting about this is the Chromecast with Google TV is running on a S905D3G chipset, which is very similar to the S905X2/S905X3 etc. that many Android TV boxes out there use. If this chipset can properly decode FEL in STDL mkv, it perhaps means that any of those boxes (hopefully one with lossless audio passthrough) can be similarly capable with a firmware update - perhaps even CoreELEC, now that we know it's possible on these Amlogic chipsets?
chros

Post by chros »

Can we playback single layer DV (profile 5) mkv (!) with Firestick4k? If so, how? Thanks
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:05 pm
yossSP wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

I'm skeptical. Even if it's capable of playing FEL, I suspect that it's just ignoring the EL like what the Shield is doing. I highly doubt that the Chromecast has the dual decoders needed to properly playback FEL.
Test platform:
The results:
test ST DL FEL
https://ibb.co/p4mQSgr
test SL p8 RPU
https://ibb.co/rbCXb8V

Latest Emby beta can't play the file as DV it plays as HDR10, but I can do it with latest Plex beta, but only during 5 seconds, rendering the noise of the FEL layer as the picture shows .
After this 5 seconds Plex stops the playback and shows an error saying something like there isn't enought power to decode the file. I receive this error when Plex can't play a file without transcoding because I disable transcoding in Plex, but it never has ben shown in the middle of a playback, it always show before rendering.

Well, after the last firmware update on february this little device never ceases to amaze me.

Also I can play with latest Plex beta FEL files of 90Mb/s without issues.

So, after these results, can we say that this device fully supports FEL media?
Wow, that is definitely a pleasant surprise. Are you saying that with the latest firmware update, you can still only play the first 5 seconds with Plex beta? Is it maybe trying to transcode because you selected one of the lossless audio tracks? Not supporting lossless audio is still a bit of a deal breaker for me, but it definitely shows promise for future devices.

Yes, Plex plays 5 seconds then stops with an error. I think ist' because of this particular file, I have played several DV files of every profile in Plex and it plays fine from begin to end.

Regarding audio, the Chromecast with Google TV supports:
  • Dolby Digital
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
  • DTS
  • Passthrough of DTS Core 5.1 inside DTS-HD
  • AAC
  • PCM
And doesn't support:
[*]Dolby TrueHD
[*]Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
[*]DTS-X

At the moment, in my country there is almost no Atmos/DTS-X film in my language, and I'm not capable of enjoy a film in english, so I will live without positional audio along time. Also my AVR doesn't support Atmos os DTS-X, but it's capable with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

So my solution is to convert the best quality audio in my language if it's not supported. I do it with ffmpeg converting to EAC3 5.1 1536kbps, and adding it as default audio track. Practically there is no film with more than 5.1 channels in my language and my ear can't distinguish the new track from the original.

But it's my particular case, each one will be different.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

dysprosium wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:35 am
yossSP wrote:
shawnc22 wrote:

Test platform:
The results:
What's interesting about this is the Chromecast with Google TV is running on a S905D3G chipset, which is very similar to the S905X2/S905X3 etc. that many Android TV boxes out there use. If this chipset can properly decode FEL in STDL mkv, it perhaps means that any of those boxes (hopefully one with lossless audio passthrough) can be similarly capable with a firmware update - perhaps even CoreELEC, now that we know it's possible on these Amlogic chipsets?
Well, not exactly, it depends of the Dolby license the manufacturer bought. Most of these TV Boxes not even buy a right license for streaming platforms like Netflix, whats is the reason they can't playback at 4K.

But I agree that this discovery give us a new world of possiblities in the near future, and above all, place us before the real possibilities of hardware capabilities of DV playback, till now a very dark ground.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:22 pm
daicon wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:10 pm

we do not know if the tests were done with the last generation of Chromecast?
probably not the latest generation indeed... I wish @Manix(the guy with the Atomos shogun device) could confirm but he won't respond to me anymore, he's gone (probably personal issues) ...
Hi @RESET_9999 , it's strange to me that playback of the test ST DL FEL.ts file stops after 5 seconds. Also it can only be played by Plex not Emby, wich more compatible with DV files in every profile.

¿Is it something to take into account? I supose it's caused because of peculiarities of this file, but can you provide a mkv file to test again. Tanks in advance.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

chros wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:46 am
Can we playback single layer DV (profile 5) mkv (!) with Firestick4k? If so, how? Thanks
Yes you can, with Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018) or Plex.
There is also a demo ExoPlayer app but it has to be launched from Kodi and requires a specific config for that.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yossSP wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:47 am

Hi @RESET_9999 , it's strange to me that playback of the test ST DL FEL.ts file stops after 5 seconds. Also it can only be played by Plex not Emby, wich more compatible with DV files in every profile.

¿Is it something to take into account? I supose it's caused because of peculiarities of this file, but can you provide a mkv file to test again. Tanks in advance.
mkv DV ST FEL test file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KV7lqA ... sp=sharing
mp4 DV ST FEL test file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYrRZo ... sp=sharing

If I remember correctly all the samples play fine on my x700, so I don't know why it stops after 5sec on the Chromecast. yes, it could be because it's not the right EL or because of the splitting. Also, I don't know if this can make a difference but I used the yusesope tool to create the sample and not makemkv.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:14 pm
yossSP wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:47 am

mkv DV ST FEL test file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KV7lqA ... sp=sharing
mp4 DV ST FEL test file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYrRZo ... sp=sharing

If I remember correctly all the samples play fine on my x700, so I don't know why it stops after 5sec on the Chromecast. yes, it could be because it's not the right EL or because of the splitting. Also, I don't know if this can make a difference but I used the yusesope tool to create the sample and not makemkv.
Thanks @RESET_9999 , with both files now Emby playback in Dolby Vision with noise, so processing the FEL layer, and now after 5 seconds it stutters and change to HDR, but don't stops. In Plex both files run as the .ts one, it stops after 5 seconds. From what I see this has no more significance.

From my eyes, the rendering quality in any HDR mode is fantastic but in Dolby Vision with MEL or FEL is superb.

And one last question, passing this test can we assure that this device is fully using the FEL layer as it should?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yossSP wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:29 pm

And one last question, passing this test can we assure that this device is fully using the FEL layer as it should?
yep, it confirms that your device is processing the FEL and not ignoring it like the Shield and the LG CX. If it's processing it properly is another question.
You can also test Total Recall at 43minutes. The HDR10 base layer is poorly encoded and only FEL DV can save it.
https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 15#p104166
Manixx2020beyound

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:03 pm
yossSP wrote:

yep, it confirms that your device is processing the FEL and not ignoring it like the Shield and the LG CX. If it's processing it properly is another question.
You can also test Total Recall at 43minutes. The HDR10 base layer is poorly encoded and only FEL DV can save it.
5 seconds,
Yes the test was the new version, colors were saturated before the update
Plus u need plex pass on this device to play hdr, plus it’s LLDV only
The device does drop frames sometimes not very noticeable
1BBBF90D-893E-4EE6-ADEF-9195E296DA1B.jpeg
1BBBF90D-893E-4EE6-ADEF-9195E296DA1B.jpeg (1.2 MiB) Viewed 13387 times
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
yossSP wrote:

Ok, thanks, it's a good begining at last :)
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

Manixx2020beyound wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:43 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
yossSP wrote:

5 seconds,
Yes the test was the new version, colors were saturated before the update
Plus u need plex pass on this device to play hdr, plus it’s LLDV only
The device does drop frames sometimes not very noticeable 1BBBF90D-893E-4EE6-ADEF-9195E296DA1B.jpeg
Thanks for your answer @Manixx2020beyound.
I've got Plex beta without Plexpass and it renders every HDR, I believe that the Plexpass is only needed for HDR to SDR Tone Mapping.
Since the february update I can't see any frame drop in any playback, with high bandwith files.

How do you guess the new Chromecast with Google TV is LLDV only? is very difficult to obtain DV info about this device...

And, can you explain what are the consequences of this LLDV only processing?
The image quality I observe is really good, and I think I've got a good eye for this, but I can't compare with nothing.

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by yossSP on Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

He has the HDfury Vertex which can tell if it's lldv or tv-led DV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_a77zJTrO4