Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

tr000 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 am
can guide me to a solution to this. It's always very hard to get a lay of the current land in DV after not browsing this thread for months.
True profile 8 ( BL + RPU ) in a TS container works just fine on LG OLED TVs as long as the first audio is lossy. I don't know what happens when eARC and passthrough are enabled though.
So since your TV doesn't support the EL, just remove it by making a true p8 instead of a profile 7 file in a p8 container like the mediainfo in your post.

Code: Select all

dovi_tool.exe -m 2 extract-rpu EL.hevc

dovi_tool.exe inject-rpu -i BL.hevc --rpu-in rpu.bin
you can also use yusesope tool ''MUX_AND_CONVERT_TO_PROFILE_81.bat''

I will buy a new C1 or C2(when out) soon and if p8 + lossless audio via earc really works, that would be great. please let me know
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

Fairly certain you won’t be able to get lossless audio out of the LG Oled TV, doesn’t matter if it’s earc/passthrough - the tv (CX onwards) doesn’t support DTS/DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD.

If you are trying to get a Blu-ray playing ‘fully’ I.e. profile 7 Dolby vision and lossless audio, you’ll need an external player.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

PlatypusW wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:17 pm
Fairly certain you won’t be able to get lossless audio out of the LG Oled TV, doesn’t matter if it’s earc/passthrough - the tv (CX onwards) doesn’t support DTS/DTS-HD/Dolby TrueHD.

If you are trying to get a Blu-ray playing ‘fully’ I.e. profile 7 Dolby vision and lossless audio, you’ll need an external player.
Then what's the point of having eARC, just marketing BS ? or just for LPCM ?
Thought the decoding was done by the AVR with passthrough enabled.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... _lg_c9_to/

MaxBane

Post by MaxBane »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:56 pm
eARC on the LG CX/C1 can still pass-through Dolby Atmos/Surround, but yea, many blurays use DTS where it will have to be pass-through as LPCM where eARC supports uncompressed 5.1/7.1. I was also ticked when I found that eARC on the C1 can't pass-through DTS:X which some UHD blurays use instead of Atmos such as Gladiator or The Fast and The Furious where I will have to connect my PC directly to the receiver for those movies as 120 Hz isn't needed for that, but it sure is a hassle.
shawnc22

Post by shawnc22 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
PlatypusW wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/ ... _lg_c9_to/

You don't need an HDMI 2.1 AVR to be able to use eARC. I have a Denon 3600H that can do eARC just fine without HDMI 2.1. There are limitations with DTS passthrough on the CX and onwards models (not sure about TrueHD), but the C9/B9 can surely passthrough lossless audio via eARC. I have an Xbox series X hooked up directly to my B9 and eARC has no issues passing through lossless audio from UHD discs.
tr000

Post by tr000 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 4:55 pm
True profile 8 ( BL + RPU ) in a TS container works just fine on LG OLED TVs as long as the first audio is lossy. I don't know what happens when eARC and passthrough are enabled though.
Ok, I'll try this out later and let you know. I'll put the muxed profile 8 .HEVC in a .TS file in TSMuxer and we'll see what happens.
PlatypusW wrote:
Fairly certain you won’t be able to get lossless audio out of the LG Oled TV
RESET_9999 wrote:
Then what's the point of having eARC, just marketing BS ?
MaxBane wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:55 pm
I was also ticked when I found that eARC on the C1 can't pass-through DTS:X which some UHD blurays use instead of Atmos such as Gladiator or The Fast and The Furious where I will have to connect my PC directly to the receiver for those movies as 120 Hz isn't needed for that, but it sure is a hassle.
shawnc22 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:09 pm
There are limitations with DTS passthrough on the CX and onwards models (not sure about TrueHD), but the C9/B9 can surely passthrough lossless audio via eARC. I have an Xbox series X hooked up directly to my B9 and eARC has no issues passing through lossless audio from UHD discs.
You know what, I think I'm getting that "sinking feeling" with my recent purchase of the C1 after making these realizations. It seems to be a downgrade from my old TCL TV in this regard…the picture quality is amazing, but seriously, the way it handles formats is atrocious. The TCL could at least send 1536 kbps DTS 5.1 through ARC even though it didn't support eARC. Now I'm stuck with 448/640 kbps AC3 on the C1 or 768kbps if it's E-AC3 Atmos, both of which are easily delivered over ARC. WTF is the point of eARC, then?

When I loaded a Dolby TrueHD movie on the usb, with audio information:

Audio #1
ID : 2
ID in the original source medium : 4352 (0x1100)
Format : MLP FBA 16-ch
Format/Info : Meridian Lossless Packing FBA with 16-channel presentation
Commercial name : Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos
Codec ID : A_TRUEHD
Duration : 2 h 32 min
Bit rate mode : Variable
Bit rate : 4 446 kb/s
Maximum bit rate : 8 448 kb/s
Channel(s) : 8 channels
Channel layout : L R C LFE Ls Rs Lb Rb
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 1 200.000 FPS (40 SPF)
Bit depth : 24 bits
Compression mode : Lossless
Stream size : 4.74 GiB (8%)
Title : TrueHD 7.1 Atmos
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Original source medium : Blu-ray
Number of dynamic objects : 13
Bed channel count : 1 channel
Bed channel configuration : LFE
with eARC and passthrough enabled it just sends the core 640kbps (or worse, 448) AC3 and my reciever says "DD", no TrueHD or anything. Very disappointing. I guess there is no reason to even try to get lossless audio working unless I get a shield. It's basically limited to what my last TCL TV was, Dolby Vision with AC3. Except I've lost the ability to do HDR10 DTS content now.
MaxBane

Post by MaxBane »

tr000 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:58 pm
with eARC and passthrough enabled it just sends the core 640kbps (or worse, 448) AC3 and my reciever says "DD", no TrueHD or anything. Very disappointing. I guess there is no reason to even try to get lossless audio working unless I get a shield. It's basically limited to what my last TCL TV was, Dolby Vision with AC3. Except I've lost the ability to do HDR10 DTS content now.
How are you seeing bit-rate information on the C1? When I play atmos, the receiver (Denon AVR-S750H) says atmos when playing a movie from my PC via eARC and HDMI diagnostics on C1 says 8ch 192 kHz, but not sure about the bit-rate the receiver is actually receiving.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

The problem is he is playing the file by usb, the internal media player is not passing the TrueHD or MA to the eARC.
Could be a physical limitation but most likely a software limitation due to licensing, in this scenario the USB is the transport.
A source via HDMI will have the correct licensing so this will be allowed to ‘eARC’ out to the receiver.
Mattl0

Post by Mattl0 »

Why is the start time of tsmuxer always set to 4 seconds?

When writing hdr10 or dv (wich won’t work) with ffmpeg to a ts container it maitains the original start time of the m2ts file.

Even when converting a ts made from tsmuxer to another ts with ffmpeg , the original start time is set back.
Last edited by Mattl0 on Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PlatypusW

Post by PlatypusW »

tr000 wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:58 pm

You know what, I think I'm getting that "sinking feeling" with my recent purchase of the C1 after making these realizations. It seems to be a downgrade from my old TCL TV in this regard…the picture quality is amazing, but seriously, the way it handles formats is atrocious.
If you were expecting the tv to be a player then unfortunately yeah. But for me the CX is absolutely amazing, have no regrets. Would buy another instantly if I had to.
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:51 am
A source via HDMI will have the correct licensing so this will be allowed to ‘eARC’ out to the receiver.
This - an external player will be needed to get lossless audio though I’ve never tested lossless with earc, I assume it works though
eedwards86

Post by eedwards86 »

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been reading through this thread and hoping to get a few answers if possible. Before I ask, let me reference the following equipment and files being used.

TV (DV): Sony A80J
TV (non DV/HDR10/HDR10+): Samsung Q6FN / Samsung TU8000
Plex: Version 1.25.0.5282
Storage: Synology DS1618+ (~32TB)
Streaming Players: Nvidia Shield Pro 2019, Amazon Firestick 4K, Amazon Firestick 4K Max
No AVR/Soundbar
Assets: All UHD/HDR created through MakeMKV, every DV file is dvhe.07.06 (FEL or MEL)

Question #1: For any UHD Dolby Vision discs ripped to MKV using version 1.15.3 or earlier, can those MKV's be re-run through a newer version of MakeMKV to retain DV information? Or do you have to go back to the disc?

Question #2: Any MKV file played on the shield using Plex would only display as HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision on my Sony A80J. All MKV’s were made on v1.15.2 to v1.16.5. I confirmed that other DV sources work (such as Disney+). It seems others have had luck with playback of varying DV profiles using Shield Pro including profile 7. I had no luck with any profile 7 files, I was curious if this is typical or an issue only on my end?

Question #3: DV will playback successfully on my Sony using Firestick 4K and 4K Max through Plex with the exception of any MKV with HDR10+. Those files display a black screen with audio only. I only had issues with one non-HDR10+ title that would display black video and audio only (2001: A Space Odyssey). All other DV mkv files playback successfully using Profile 7 regardless if FEL or MEL. Anyone else notice this issue with HDR10+ files?

Question #4: Possible bug found with Firestick 4K vs. the 4K Max. Playback of DV/HDR10+ mkv files work fine on both Samsung TV’s; both show movies playing in HDR10+. However, when attempting to play the same files through the 4K Max only black screen and audio play. This clearly looks like an issue with the 4K Max vs regular 4K; does anyone have any more information on this?

Based on the above does it make sense to transcode any of these assets to mp4 and/or attempt to change their DV profiles? I’m assuming you lose lossless audio when transcoding to mp4?
Poker354

Post by Poker354 »

Question #2: Any MKV file played on the shield using Plex would only display as HDR10 rather than Dolby Vision on my Sony A80J. All MKV’s were made on v1.15.2 to v1.16.5. I confirmed that other DV sources work (such as Disney+). It seems others have had luck with playback of varying DV profiles using Shield Pro including profile 7. I had no luck with any profile 7 files, I was curious if this is typical or an issue only on my end?
Plex should work for profile 7 on the Shield but it is far from reliable. There are many times it can take 3 or 4 tries to trigger.

I highly recommend Just Player for playing DV on the shield.
jkatchy2

Post by jkatchy2 »

Any thoughts on Beelink Gt king Pro ? Will it play mkv files with dv profile 7 / 8 FEL with lossless audio from kodi 19.3 without any issues ?
daddy

Post by daddy »

Guys, don't forget that the real DV profile 7 is dual layer, 1:1 AND 1:1/4 , and that the "dvhe.07.06" in mkv is just a workaround to send the stream as a Dolby Vision one.
AFAIK dvhe.07 exist only in ts, m2ts or mp4 formats and the only players that can read it are the x700, M9xxx and LG series x7, x8, x9
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

if you use a device that doesnt support FEL, indeed there's no point playing profile 7 rips. The shield and most of the streaming box are perfectly stable with SL p8/p5 mkv.
And you save tons of HDD space by removing the huge EL (sometimes).

jkatchy2 wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:02 am
Any thoughts on Beelink Gt king Pro ? Will it play mkv files with dv profile 7 / 8 FEL with lossless audio from kodi 19.3 without any issues ?
damn another box to buy / test I guess lol