Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
staknhalo

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by staknhalo »

Just FYI anyone who cares - the solution for me in the end for the NF HEV1 DV8 issue was to just use my 5950x and transcode the base layer so it worked fine as HVC1

Luckily even with NF's native horrible color artificing I see at times (makes people look like they're blushing, but blocky) hard to spot any quality loss from encoding just because stuff is 4k and bigger bitrates now than h264 days, even though it takes a hit with the encode no matter what

Plus I bought the 5950x to use the thing :D
Trees

Post by Trees »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 4:37 pm
I wouldn't trust any WilDCAT HDR10plus source. This guy uses outdated tools to inject metadata.
I agree. I've seen quite a lot of releases done with outdated software for some reason... However, I'd argue any HDR10+ is better than HDR10. I'd say WiLDCAT is the best we have when it comes to upgrading HDR10 content, no?

Quick question, how is the process upgrading from HDR10 to HDR10+ done? Can it be done with the tools at our disposal?
RESET_9999 wrote:
And there's an official DV webdl source for this movie, here's the RPU already in sync: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1abh85Y ... share_link
Thank you for this. Interestingly it's a almost a 2 MB larger than my RPU from an already existing Hybrid, how is that possible? Different Doby Vision master? Do different streaming services have different DV settings?
RESET_9999 wrote:
You cant really miss it when the RPU is misaligned, you will see some brightness change between shots like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxpMguEmVBQ
Thank you. Now at least I know what to expect from a wrongly injected RPU!

Bonus question: Is it possible to inject HDR10 metadata to an 2160p SDR HEVC? I'd like to upgrade my Stranger Things Season 1 SDR remuxes to HDR10.

Also, could you confirm or deny this is correct in adding 40 frames to the beginning of an RPU?

Code: Select all

{
	"duplicate": [
		{
			"source": 1,
			"offset": 1,
			"length": 40
		}
	]
}
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Trees wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:00 pm
Also, could you confirm or deny this is correct in adding 40 frames to the beginning of an RPU?
yes, this json duplicate 40 times frame number 2
However, I'd argue any HDR10+ is better than HDR10
Most of the time yes but I still prefer generating DV in resolve because it produces better metadata (cmv4.0, proper avg and min_pq)
Quick question, how is the process upgrading from HDR10 to HDR10+ done? Can it be done with the tools at our disposal?
Yes but it might require manual scene cut because I read somewhere that HDR10plus must only be changing metadata at scene cuts. DV in the other hand, can be frame by frame so its not really a problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdFiqATo_j8
Thank you for this. Interestingly it's a almost a 2 MB larger than my RPU from an already existing Hybrid, how is that possible? Different Doby Vision master? Do different streaming services have different DV settings?
the official rpu may have more shots. Or maybe your rpu is missing L5 which is often the case with iTunes webdl if the hybrid was not done correctly
Bonus question: Is it possible to inject HDR10 metadata to an 2160p SDR HEVC? I'd like to upgrade my Stranger Things Season 1 SDR remuxes to HDR10.
It requires re-encoding but it can be done in resolve. I actually convert all my SDR bluray to HDR/DV.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 6:27 pm
It requires re-encoding but it can be done in resolve. I actually convert all my SDR bluray to HDR/DV.
For titles that don't have UHD/UHD web releases? Or for all just to have a 1080p HDR/DV library?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

staknhalo wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:36 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
For titles that don't have UHD/UHD web releases? Or for all just to have a 1080p HDR/DV library?
Anything I want to watch that doesn't get an official HDR release.
Only DV is allowed in my Home theater, I haven't watched SDR/HDR10 in years.
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:32 pm
staknhalo wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 7:36 pm
RESET_9999 wrote:
Anything I want to watch that doesn't get an official HDR release.
Only DV is allowed in my Home theater, I haven't watched SDR/HDR10 in years.
Can Resolve produce DV from SDR? Will the result be better than RTD1619DR using VS10?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

NiCE77 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:14 am
Can Resolve produce DV from SDR? Will the result be better than RTD1619DR using VS10?
no idea if it can produce metadata for an SDR base layer. I guess it can but never tried.
I convert the sdr bl to pq.
TheEqualizer

Post by TheEqualizer »

Mithrandir wrote:
Tue May 16, 2023 8:26 pm
Hi, I've found what the issue is with Disney+ (at least with ffmepg), it's the presence of chapters in mkv file (which get copied to mp4).
-map_chapters -1 does the trick with ffmpeg.
Thanks, I'll try.
If you collect in mp4box, then the absence of chapters does not affect the performance, it has been checked repeatedly
P.S. So, I conducted tests, used material from Disney, if you assemble using ffmpeg, there really are no problems with sound, but it remains unpleasant as after assembly in mp4box, namely, there is no possibility of switching subtitle tracks, of course we are talking only about playback over the network (NAS or DLNA). Perhaps you know how this is solved?
Ryrynz

Post by Ryrynz »

I've figured out I can only playback Dovi files on my TV from USB/Network, however I only ever get HDR from the 4K remuxes.
The DOvi test files show Dovi just fine, but obviously I don't care for watching those :P
I'm trying to play them back on a Panasonic LZ series OLED. What needs to be modified in the MKV to allow the TV pick up the stream?
axeyou

Post by axeyou »

Hi @RESET_9999,

As always, thank you for maintaining the amazing script and tirelessly testing DV displays and releases. A few feedbacks:

1. On line 10467 in the DoViBaker workflow, the path to DGDecodeNV.dll is hardcoded instead of referencing DGIndexNV_path.

2. I tried out the new DoViBaker FEL screenshot workflow. First of all, great stuff! I was able to compare the BL vs FEL on Criterion's Three Colors: Red and confirm that there's basically zero recovered detail from their filtered BL. One pain point though: It appears that we still need to manually take screenshots through AvsPmod. Do you know whether AvsPmod is scriptable? Would it be possible to automatically take X sets of BL vs FEL screenshot comparisons from a given clip? Obviously you can't select ideal frames for screenshots this way, but it's still useful for a quick comparison to see if the EL contains visible information.

3. The 1.8.3 release notes currently suggest "copy[ing] the dovi.dll into 'C:\Windows\System32'". FYI it doesn't need to be System32--any dir in the Path environment variable would do. IMO it is a security risk to ask users to copy binaries into System32.

4. On line 10385, have you considered making the sample maker's timestamp range configurable at the top of the file?

5. On your GRADE/MASTER CHECK (P8 DV HYBRID) sheet, some titles are released in different regions with different gradings/ecnodes by different studios, so clarifying the version may be helpful. For example, Paramount's Arrival (2016) in the US/UK looks different from Sony's in the EU and all the DV WEB-DLs I can find seem to be Sony's grading. (From what I've read, Paramount's grading is more faithful to the original.) Another one would be Escape from New York (1981): Both Shout Factory and StudioCanal's releases have DV FEL. Wondering which one is your plots taken from?

Finally, a question I've been curious about but don't know where else to ask:

Does anyone know how DV tone mapping interacts with ABL? Say we play a prolonged 1000 nits sequence on an OLED with 800 nits peak brightness. Initially the panel can tone map that according to its (statically stored) peak brightness capabilities and an extrapolated curve from metadata in the L2 trims. But as time goes on and ABL kicks in, does the DV engine have access to the now lower peak brightness number to tone map from there?

Thanks again!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

axeyou wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:31 pm
5. On your GRADE/MASTER CHECK (P8 DV HYBRID) sheet, some titles are released in different regions with different gradings/ecnodes by different studios, so clarifying the version may be helpful. For example, Paramount's Arrival (2016) in the US/UK looks different from Sony's in the EU and all the DV WEB-DLs I can find seem to be Sony's grading. (From what I've read, Paramount's grading is more faithful to the original.) Another one would be Escape from New York (1981): Both Shout Factory and StudioCanal's releases have DV FEL. Wondering which one is your plots taken from?
good point, most of the time I don't actually know the version I'm downloading lol.
I'll try to add the region info next time.
1. On line 10467 in the DoViBaker workflow, the path to DGDecodeNV.dll is hardcoded instead of referencing DGIndexNV_path.
right will fix next release. thanks
4. On line 10385, have you considered making the sample maker's timestamp range configurable at the top of the file?
yes I could do that
3. The 1.8.3 release notes currently suggest "copy[ing] the dovi.dll into 'C:\Windows\System32'". FYI it doesn't need to be System32--any dir in the Path environment variable would do. IMO it is a security risk to ask users to copy binaries into System32.
yea I just followed dovi_baker github instruction. Good to know thanks

It appears that we still need to manually take screenshots through AvsPmod. Do you know whether AvsPmod is scriptable?
I don't think avspmod can extract screenshot via command lines.
I guess I could script something with ffmpeg though.

Next version will make a FEL and MEL script for easy comparison. I also added some overlay text.

axeyou

Post by axeyou »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 9:28 pm
axeyou wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 7:31 pm
good point, most of the time I don't actually know the version I'm downloading lol.
I'll try to add the region info next time.
yes I could do that
It appears that we still need to manually take screenshots through AvsPmod. Do you know whether AvsPmod is scriptable?
Next version will make a FEL and MEL script for easy comparison. I also added some overlay text.
Thank you for all these!
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:19 pm
if you want to save some time, I already generated DV in resolve for most of the movies, here are over 600 RPU files ready to be injected :)

Code: Select all

https://mega.nz/folder/CjYWyaZR#tSlKPhdblAd8shSaYoiOWA
And wow I was just catching up on the thread and found I missed this. The link is dead now. @RESET_9999 any chance you could PM me a copy as well? I only have 2 posts here so far so can't PM you yet. (Can I receive PMs?)
RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:03 am
probably because the zidoo wrongly send a bt2020 flag with the TV-LED signal.
When I tested this device a very long time ago, it was slightly affecting the colors: Green, yellow and blue were paler and red darker.
IMO that bt2020 flag is just a red herring. My Panasonic UB820 also sets it for DV.
TheEqualizer

Post by TheEqualizer »

Please tell me if there is a way to make switching subtitles on built-in LG TV player during network playing a .mp4 dv 8 profile, or is this the normal situation (limitation) for LG software? Perhaps any additional point when building in ffmpeg needed?
Last edited by TheEqualizer on Mon May 22, 2023 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

axeyou wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:49 am
Thank you for all these!
DoVi_Scripts_1.8.4.2.beta now has a workflow (6-8-2) that can ''quickly'' export 5x FEL/MEL PQ screenshots. (will only work if your input is at least 36min)
It's random so just because those 5 screenshots don't show a difference doesn't mean there isn't one on another shot. Plotting DV and HDR10 is a better indication of brightness expanded via fel.
IMO that bt2020 flag is just a red herring. My Panasonic UB820 also sets it for DV.
It's been a while since I tested this but the bt2020 flag with RGB tv-led definitely did change the colors slightly but nothing major really. And I when I tested that, it was before the @yusesoap profile8 era so I only tested profile 5 patterns.
If you have an hdfury device, you can remove it. I tested the Zidoo and Shield (they sent bt2020 flag too before) and both had different colors with the bt2020 flag.

Those other differences in the signal you found are very interesting though.
any chance you could PM me a copy as well?
check your pm
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 1:35 pm
axeyou wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 3:49 am
Thank you for all these!
DoVi_Scripts_1.8.4.2.beta now has a workflow (6-8-2) that can ''quickly'' export 5x FEL/MEL PQ screenshots. (will only work if your input is at least 36min)
It's random so just because those 5 screenshots don't show a difference doesn't mean there isn't one on another shot. Plotting DV and HDR10 is a better indication of brightness expanded via fel.
It's been a while since I tested this but the bt2020 flag with RGB tv-led definitely did change the colors slightly but nothing major really. And I when I tested that, it was before the @yusesoap profile8 era so I only tested profile 5 patterns.
If you have an hdfury device, you can remove it. I tested the Zidoo and Shield (they sent bt2020 flag too before) and both had different colors with the bt2020 flag.

Those other differences in the signal you found are very interesting though.
any chance you could PM me a copy as well?
check your pm
Markswift says that the TV does not handle this bt2020 flag during signal processing, maybe some TVs handle it differently?
http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads ... ost-180090

Can you pm me the RPUs as well? Thank you!