Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mattmarsden

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by mattmarsden »

Yes mkv doesn't work, neither does m2ts - only ts at the moment.
baker99

Post by baker99 »

mattmarsden wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:27 am
So we are at another stumbling block, tsmuxer won't support TrueHD without ac3. Maybe Plex can add ac3 core support in a ts, although I'm not holding my breath for that.

From the tsmuxer dev forum -
Ok then, I'll do a build without the DoVi descriptors for testing...

Edit: ok, so after lots of trials and errors, I come to the conclusion that there seems to be no TS descriptor for PGS. And if we put back the HDMV registration descriptor to read PGS in TS would break DV compatibility with standalone players. Same for AC3/TrueHD.

So you can't have everything: PGS and interleaved AC3/TrueHD are HDMV streams and must be muxed in m2ts.

And there is no TS or HDMV descriptor for TrueHD (without AC3), so no way to include it in tsMuxer.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

ATD555 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:09 am
Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:58 am
just thinking out loud here.. using tsmuxer for a ts container isn't ideal since it doesn't allow for atmos without an ac3 core, which let's the shield play properly it seems right? well if yusesope can edit the hex of hevc files to include the bl+el+rpu into one single track file, can that not be put into an mkv with true-hd non-ac3 atmos so that it plays on the shield and many other devices instead of mp4? I've read before that mkv CAN actually do dolby vision, it's just that it only allows for the reading of the elementary video track (single layer) and disgards the rest. until now there's been no way to make a single layer mkv, since we had to use dvdfab's mp4 only method, and demuxing said mp4 (or ts etc) resulted in an hevc with all dv info stripped. but this is modifying the hevc outside of a container, leaving us free to choose the one we want, no? or do we still lose dv info for some reason? I'll do more testing tomorrow to see if I'm making any sense.
What you could always try is demux the HEVC from those test BL+EL+RPU MP4 files and throw it into an MKV container and see if the Dolby Vision information is still there.
unfortunately, as I said above, demuxing removes dv info :( only hope is applying el+rpu to the raw hevc and then maybe add it to mkv.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mattmarsden wrote:
what method did you use to make your mkv? did you modify the raw hevc to have el+rpu added to the bl before putting it into an mkv?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

baker99 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:35 am
So we are at another stumbling block, tsmuxer won't support TrueHD without ac3. Maybe Plex can add ac3 core support in a ts, although I'm not holding my breath for that.

From the tsmuxer dev forum -
Ok then, I'll do a build without the DoVi descriptors for testing...

Edit: ok, so after lots of trials and errors, I come to the conclusion that there seems to be no TS descriptor for PGS. And if we put back the HDMV registration descriptor to read PGS in TS would break DV compatibility with standalone players. Same for AC3/TrueHD.

So you can't have everything: PGS and interleaved AC3/TrueHD are HDMV streams and must be muxed in m2ts.

And there is no TS or HDMV descriptor for TrueHD (without AC3), so no way to include it in tsMuxer.
this dev's response is exactly what prompted my post - that basically the only option for atmos on the shield is an mkv (with hopefully the dv info applied properly). dts:x and all other hd-audio should work fine in a since it contains the right core.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:22 pm
ATD555 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:09 am
Grencola wrote:
just thinking out loud here.. using tsmuxer for a ts container isn't ideal since it doesn't allow for atmos without an ac3 core, which let's the shield play properly it seems right? well if yusesope can edit the hex of hevc files to include the bl+el+rpu into one single track file, can that not be put into an mkv with true-hd non-ac3 atmos so that it plays on the shield and many other devices instead of mp4? I've read before that mkv CAN actually do dolby vision, it's just that it only allows for the reading of the elementary video track (single layer) and disgards the rest. until now there's been no way to make a single layer mkv, since we had to use dvdfab's mp4 only method, and demuxing said mp4 (or ts etc) resulted in an hevc with all dv info stripped. but this is modifying the hevc outside of a container, leaving us free to choose the one we want, no? or do we still lose dv info for some reason? I'll do more testing tomorrow to see if I'm making any sense.
What you could always try is demux the HEVC from those test BL+EL+RPU MP4 files and throw it into an MKV container and see if the Dolby Vision information is still there.
unfortunately, as I said above, demuxing removes dv info :( only hope is applying el+rpu to the raw hevc and then maybe add it to mkv.
Demux using ffmpeg?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

ATD555 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Demux using ffmpeg?
Nope :/ basically once it's in a container you can't get the hevc streams out without losing dv (at least not to my knowledge).

I'll have to experiment with yusesope's hevc editing method and see what I can come up.

@yusesope, after using your hex tools and making a combined el+bl-rpu hevc file, instead of using mp4muxer have you tried making an mkv instead?? soo curious if the dv info is retained. you can obviously put the secondary dv track from bluray into mkv fine like seen in mkv remuxes, so I'm hopeful :)
Last edited by Grencola on Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

Although presumably TSmuxer is taking it out of a container when making it in to a ts file and that retains the DV, or is it not real DV when doing that?
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

mattmarsden wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 pm
Although presumably TSmuxer is taking it out of a container when making it in to a ts file and that retains the DV, or is it not real DV when doing that?
tsmuxer reapplies the dv info when making a ts. but yea if you demuxed with tsmuxer there will be no sign of dv anywhere on the hevc files.
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:20 pm
mattmarsden wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:49 pm
tsmuxer reapplies the dv info when making a ts. but yea if you demuxed with tsmuxer there will be no sign of dv anywhere on the hevc files.
I think I might take a crack at automating the BL.HEVC and EL.HEVC hex merge using the information that @yusesope provided. Chances are I won't be successful but I'd like to be able to test more video clips while they work on their tool.
henkeli

Post by henkeli »

Reporting in with success using .TS with X700 on LG OLED 65 C7P.
Alita Battle Angel 4K UHD with Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, PGS Subtitles, and FF/RW.
Green screen after stopping, turns pink screen over portion when replaying. Reboot recovers the device.

Also, the file plays at 1080p/60 with HDR -> SDR using my projector (only 1080p) with HDR=Auto and DV=On. It will not do this properly with any other combo of HDR/DV in the Settings menu. Kinda strange. It can play at 24fps but the colors are washed out then. Only 60fps. But I'll take it for convenience sake.
Grencola

Post by Grencola »

ATD555 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 pm
I think I might take a crack at automating the BL.HEVC and EL.HEVC hex merge using the information that @yusesope provided. Chances are I won't be successful but I'd like to be able to test more video clips while they work on their tool.
feel free to grab my dv-mp4-maker and edit the main script to your liking if that helps. (right click the exe and choose extract or open with winrar) or send me your code and I can integrate it properly too. personally slammed on time to start coding from scratch again. it would be amazing if it works in an mkv container and we create a one-click tool to go from bdmv m2ts/mkv remux to our new dv-mkv remux :)
ATD555

Post by ATD555 »

Grencola wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:40 pm
ATD555 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:26 pm
feel free to grab my dv-mp4-maker and edit the main script to your liking if that helps. (right click the exe and choose extract or open with winrar) or send me your code and I can integrate it properly too. personally slammed on time to start coding from scratch again. it would be amazing if it works in an mkv container and we create a one-click tool to go from bdmv m2ts/mkv remux to our new dv-mkv remux :)
Want to reiterate to not get your hopes too high, my coding/scripting knowledge is very rudimentary.
kws53

Post by kws53 »

MediaInfo results for Joker using TSMuxer (0301 nightly). What's interesting is that Dolby Vision is indicated on BOTH video tracks (unlike using the MP4 version, which only shows DV on the EL 2nd track). Also note that audio track is only showing the AC3 portion (of ATMOS), despite MKVToolNix (and TSMuxer) showing that the ATMOS track is indeed there. In fact, Media Center Master (which uses MediaInfo) shows only the AC3 track. BUG with MediaInfo?

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

kws53 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:00 pm
MediaInfo results for Joker using TSMuxer (0301 nightly). What's interesting is that Dolby Vision is indicated on BOTH video tracks (unlike using the MP4 version, which only shows DV on the EL 2nd track). Also note that audio track is only showing the AC3 portion (of ATMOS), despite MKVToolNix (and TSMuxer) showing that the ATMOS track is indeed there. In fact, Media Center Master (which uses MediaInfo) shows only the AC3 track. BUG with MediaInfo?
The audio part is totally normal.. check your original m2ts, it will say the same.
Grencola claims his rips are different but i just dont see how it's possible.
baker99 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:35 am
mattmarsden wrote:
Grencola wrote:

I don't know why you guys say that Atmos (truehd+ac3 core) in a TS or M2TS container is not supported on PLEX-shield.

I just tried with a regular HDR10 file and Atmos works just fine.