Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Trees

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Trees »

Quick question, when using dovi_tool mode 3 to extract the RPU from a P5 file, is any from the RPU data lost? I'm asking because the other day, I read someone claiming both chroma and luma data being lost when using mode 3; apparently, only dynamic metadata is being carried over from the P5 files to the P8.1 files.

Is this true? Just curious.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:26 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:07 pm
Hmm ok

But is it advisable to remux the mkv file into bluray folder and play via usb? Or we should always remux the original bluray folders?
it's always safer to remux from the original/untouched BD folders but I do sometimes use MKV P7 source when I can't find the bluray (no seed) and it plays fine on my x800m2.
sometimes remux may not have AC3 core in the truehd track so atmos won't work if we remux it into bluray folder and play via usb right?
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Trees wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:25 pm
Quick question, when using dovi_tool mode 3 to extract the RPU from a P5 file, is any from the RPU data lost? I'm asking because the other day, I read someone claiming both chroma and luma data being lost when using mode 3; apparently, only dynamic metadata is being carried over from the P5 files to the P8.1 files.

Is this true? Just curious.
Yes, the mapping metadata contained in profile 5 is not usable in profile 8.1.
It wouldn't make sense to keep it.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:12 am

sometimes remux may not have AC3 core in the truehd track so atmos won't work if we remux it into bluray folder and play via usb right?
THD in MKV remux will never have an ac3 core. My script will add a core when you process it.
deadchip12

Post by deadchip12 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:05 pm
deadchip12 wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 6:12 am

THD in MKV remux will never have an ac3 core. My script will add a core when you process it.
ok so if I don't use your script then atmos won't work right?
codeXRes

Post by codeXRes »

Did anyone test the new CoreELEC DV build for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6b?

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/amlogi ... sion/24738

Looks like they're struggling with FL playback though.
You’re not right, this Kodi APK just use the underlay system with OMX awesome decoder including Mediacodec. Both are closed source blobs. FEL works flawlessly under Android with these components.

The Nova player does even work better than this Kodi version.

It’s something about the FL layer decoder. It sometimes works, sometimes not and this cause the frames stuck.
No, all is there. Someone can debug it and tell us how to handle the FL layer decoder that he is able to proper decode all frames. We don’t know (yet).
https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/coreel ... n/21473/31
rudemario

Post by rudemario »

Injecting DV from Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse WEB-DL into the UHD Blu Ray (which only includes HDR10)

Hey there!

So, I've been stopping through the thread and been reading various posts and screenshotting relevant ones, and I think I'm ready to begin this.

I believe I understand that converting DV Profile 5 into Profile 8.1 is not necessary to get an MP4 to have active DV detected for LG TVs (I have a C1), and it's moreso to avoid having no video/green video displaying when played on a display/player that does not support DV.

I also believe I understand that DV Profile 5 can be inferior to a Profile 7 DV if a Profile 7 DV of the same movie includes a FEL? Which would mean even if a Profile 7 FEL wasn't present, among a few other things, mapping a Profile 5 to a UHD Blu Ray video source might produce inaccuracies/grading problems (I've seen mention of using PQ to check for inaccuracies, not sure how to go about that or if it's even necessary)

Into the Spider-Verse was never released on Disc with Dolby Vision, that was reserved exclusively for streaming platforms. Streaming platforms offer UHD streams, so in theory, WEB-DLs would be UHD streams with UHD mapped Profile 5 Dolby Vision.

So, two questions, and then a closer.
  • 1. If I had a copy of a raw, muxed, unmodified WEB-DL, and a raw, muxed UHD Blu Ray, would it be as simple as using a few tools to inject the Profile 5 into the UHD Blu Ray and simply sync the beginnings of the video file with the Blu Ray? I understand Blu Rays usually have a blank video stream with the data mapped, and Profile 5 for streaming services has a text file instead. I assume the programs take care of this discrepancy, no issues? And, I'm assuming because the Profile 5 is for streaming services and I noticed some people said that there are some oddities or inaccuracies when applied to Blu Ray, let me know if I'm mistaken, I assume the colors will be off.

But does that mean there is also a way I can make a modification or two to improve the oddities? Maybe I can view a stream off of a streaming service and take photos of the differences, maybe? Pardon my absolute naivete and inexperience, my problem is likely one you guys have heard a bunch before, but I really love the two Spider-Verse movies and want to see them in UHD Blu Ray sources + Dolby vision on my LG C1.

2. I am having difficulty finding WEB-DLs that actually include the DV. This is strange to me and I don't really understand it. I have only found a Hybrid made for the Italian audio, which appears to have converted the DV to 8.1. Would this source be usable? Can I verify nothing has been modified somehow, and just isolate/separate that out and apply that DV to the English UHD Blu Ray?
Final: All of that is assuming I can play the files IN Dolby Vision. I have a Windows PC with a RTX 3080 hooked up to my TV with an optical HDMI 2.1, but as I understand it Windows only supports HDR10. I have an LG C1, and a fast internal SSD>USB 3.1 enclosure to play high bitrate content off of from the USB port (assuming 2.0), and so that leaves my options to my LG C1s internal player, as far as I'm aware (other than buying something like an Nvidia Shield). This is okay, I don't mind using the internal player as I'm not a heavy movie digester, more of a visual quality enjoyer, lol (so the effort is worth it to me if only for a few movies).

So, assuming that a Profile 5 DV added to a UHD Blu Ray source is fine and dandy, based on what I'm seeing in the thread and elsewhere, I SHOULD be able to view Dolby Vision content on my C1s internal player simply by using ffmpeg to move a .mkv muxed UHD Blu Ray into a .mp4 container, provided it has DV Profile 5, 7, or 8.1 right? That would be all that's needed? If that's the case, would, in theory, that odd converted DV profile 8.1 DV source, when muxed into an MKV, work fine when wrapped in a .mp4 container? or do .mp4 containers require a certain DV version? I believe that the consensus is that when rewrapping as .mp4s, you have to sacrifice the UHD's Lossless Dolby audio (for reasons I don't understand. if there's a workaround or if somebody could explain to me why we can't have the best of both worlds I would really really appreciate it,) which might mean other considerations/sacrifices have to be made.

Sorry if anything I've written/asked is annoying or been repeated ad nauseum, I don't mind being told to go back to a specific page or post and re-read, I can try to follow a previously outlined process and ask any questions about what I'm stuck on. It would just really help if someone noticed if I was on the wrong track or made some false conclusions from what I've read so far, because I'm not sure if I'm grasping everything.

Thanks so much for the help!
tjayz

Post by tjayz »

tjreis2 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 8:50 am
One thing i noticed different from you gif now is that media opens 3 times in my PC, and each time i have to close it so that the script continues. in your gif it didnt open once, could this be it?
For other people who have this problem, do not use mediainfo gui, use mediainfo cli in tools folder
UBP-X800M2 / LG OLED CX / NAD M17 V2i
tjayz

Post by tjayz »

rudemario wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2023 2:48 pm
Injecting DV from Spiderman: Into the Spider-Verse WEB-DL into the UHD Blu Ray (which only includes HDR10)...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d ... =427220017

If you are not willing to buy another player and rely solely on your C1 then follow the path in the link above for LG CX or newer. You need the latest dovi ts script from here: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/1/fold ... J2M9DvOQRu

C1 will not play profile 7 so you are limited to 8 or 5 and pretty sure you would then lose FEL for MEL and DDP w/ Atmos would be your best audio it can play. Anything that is P5 TV shows, usually just DL as is from internet. Movies I go after BDMV and convert to my desires, which in your case would be workflow 4-1-1 from the dovi script linked above. Just need to read the top part of the script and set everything to YES or NO to your desired output. When you hit the part that says don't change anything below this point you are done.

I would recommend getting plex or jellyfin installed on both your pc and C1 to avoid having to use the usb. You can cast from windows but is definitely not elegant, is only means I found that can cast P7 dual stream though so is not obsolete for some people.
jkatchy2

Post by jkatchy2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:26 pm

it's always safer to remux from the original/untouched BD folders but I do sometimes use MKV P7 source when I can't find the bluray (no seed) and it plays fine on my x800m2.
I have remuxed from my original BD disc , but when I try to fast forward on my x800m2 its shows Operation is prohibited , anything I am doing wrong ? I use your tool to create m2ts version.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

jkatchy2 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:31 pm

I have remuxed from my original BD disc , but when I try to fast forward on my x800m2 its shows Operation is prohibited , anything I am doing wrong ? I use your tool to create m2ts version.
When you play a movie, the player will display an OSD for a few seconds. You have to wait until it's gone before you can FF/RW
jkatchy2

Post by jkatchy2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:41 pm
jkatchy2 wrote:

When you play a movie, the player will display an OSD for a few seconds. You have to wait until it's gone before you can FF/RW
I did waited till the OSD " This Operation is Prohibited" to go away and then again tried to do FF/RW in my x800m2 , it pops up the same OSD . is my tsmuxer version is a problem ? this is not for my one disc I have tried couple of titles .
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

jkatchy2 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:16 pm
I did waited till the OSD " This Operation is Prohibited" to go away and then again tried to do FF/RW in my x800m2 , it pops up the same OSD . is my tsmuxer version is a problem ? this is not for my one disc I have tried couple of titles .
I don't know, it's working fine on mine.
I use dual-track P7 or P8 ST TS via the wifi.
jkatchy2

Post by jkatchy2 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:23 pm
jkatchy2 wrote:
I don't know, it's working fine on mine.
I use dual-track P7 or P8 ST TS via the wifi.
Oh ok , will try to figure out with different titles . One more query with your tool/by anyother means, is it possible to convert DV metadata to Hdr10+ metadata and inject to BL ?
tjayz

Post by tjayz »

jkatchy2 wrote:
RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:41 pm
jkatchy2 wrote:

What audio are you using and are the titles all FEL and are you keeping it in P7 dual stream? x800 can have issues with FEL ST and I seen issues with EAC3. I never use P8 on the x800 so not sure if that has issues or not, shouldn't though. Also, learned videos with lots of different subtitle tracks can have ff/rw issues. Only port over what you need dump the rest.