Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
powdeau

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by powdeau »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:56 pm
No, the only reason you should generate DV instead of using the official dv source is if the L1 plot and PQ comparison clearly show that they are not the same grade.

now if the content has high L1 max_pq values and is "L1 no trim" or "L1 + 100nits trim only", there may be an issue with the x700/x800m2/oppo which seem to have no reaction to higher values but this is has nothing to do with generated DV.
So to avoid that issue with x700, isn't it better to generate new DV that will have trim passes instead of using the official one without any trim passes?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

powdeau wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:11 pm
So to avoid that issue with x700, isn't it better to generate new DV that will have trim passes instead of using the official one without any trim passes?
No, the default resolve trim passes have a too strong/undesired effect when the content is very bright. When the studios grade DV, the L2 trims are edited manually shot by shot after the algo generated the default values.

This is why I overwrite them if you use my script to inject an XML file.If you go back a couple of pages, I posted a pattern that shows exactly that.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Hi, bit of a newbie here still, so forgive the questions...

Up until this point had just been using MakeMKV in this way;

Insert disc > Open MakeMKV > File > Open Disc > Then ticking the appropriate film title(s) > Then hitting makemkv

I understood this method to backup everything including the DV layer. I don't have a capable player currently of playing DV, but I thought that when I did get one (soon) all my film rips would be useable with DV, having read through some of this thread, I don't think that is possible?

Is the above method the correct way of capturing a film? I thought I read somewhere that the m2ts files are a better approach for displaying DV content, but that means you have to do a complete backup of every disc?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

@quietvoid.

Wow the new plot function in your dovi_tool is amazing. Soooo much faster than the python script.
thanks a lot
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:24 pm
@quietvoid.

Wow the new plot function in your dovi_tool is amazing. Soooo much faster than the python script.
thanks a lot
indeed, phenomenal job again from reset_9999.
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:24 pm
powdeau wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:11 pm
No, the default resolve trim passes have a too strong/undesired effect when the content is very bright. When the studios grade DV, the L2 trims are edited manually shot by shot after the algo generated the default values.

This is why I overwrite them if you use my script to inject an XML file.If you go back a couple of pages, I posted a pattern that shows exactly that.
I see, so to avoid that issue, it is best to just extract the original XML file and run it through your script, which will add the missing trim passes.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I updated the scripts(6-2-3)(6-2-2) to reflect the awesome new plot option in the latest DoVi_tool. Python is no longer required.

RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

powdeau wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm
I see, so to avoid that issue, it is best to just extract the original XML file and run it through your script, which will add the missing trim passes.
extract original XML ? i dont think the dovi_tool can do RPU to XML.

If you mean the generated resolve XML, then yes IMO you should always overwrite the default trims with my script or manually.
powdeau

Post by powdeau »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:46 pm
powdeau wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:16 pm
extract original XML ? i dont think the dovi_tool can do RPU to XML.

If you mean the generated resolve XML, then yes IMO you should always overwrite the default trims with my script or manually.
I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. What should I do, if I have a DV Blu-ray without trim passes and I want to avoid the issue with x700? How can I add those trim passes using your script?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

powdeau wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:59 pm
I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself properly. What should I do, if I have a DV Blu-ray without trim passes and I want to avoid the issue with x700? How can I add those trim passes using your script?
there's nothing you can do about it.
There's no point in adding blank trim passes and it wouldnt make any difference with the x700 that may have issues with high L1 values.
ragico

Post by ragico »

quietvoid wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:23 am
ragico wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:55 pm
Sorry no. All my P7.ts are from Dovi Fel on purpose. None is from a Mel. And I can assure you that they worked and played perfectly. Unfortunately I did not keep that version.
I don't know but it doesn't add up. I tested a version from the day before and it's also crashing with my test files.
You're welcome to try it: https://mega.nz/file/pZln1IhT#QlMIyPOhW ... 6LidHO1Xqg
This one is the old org.xbmc.kodiDV package.

I don't have the 2023-01-23 build anymore.

Anyways, I have to rework the code so that it works for all files.
This is just temporary.
Reworked code version not ready yet?
Thanks
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

ragico wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:24 pm
Thanks
No, don't hold your breath.
ragico

Post by ragico »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:31 pm
ragico wrote:
Thanks
Sorry
Fuso90

Post by Fuso90 »

Hello, DV enthusiasts!

I own LG C2 for little more than a month. Before that my main tv was LG B8, but it's still in use, and also Samsung AU9000. So now there's a "missunderstanding" when I try to play DV/HDR content on all of them.

Before the C2 I was making DT DL P7 mp4 which plays fine on both B8 and Samsung, but found that the C2 didn't support P7 and plays them in regular HDR. I tried to make P8 mp4 which plays fine on the C2, BUT if the Coded ID is set to hev1 the file plays on both B8 and Samsung in HDR. If the Codec ID set to dvhe then both C2 and B8 play DV but the Samsung can't play the file at all.

Is there a way to mux HDR10/DV hybrid to mp4 which plays correctly DV on both LGs and HDR on the Samsung?
Donpoku

Post by Donpoku »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:31 pm
ragico wrote:
Thanks
Firestick can play 80gb+ remux/atmos fine ?