Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
shawnc22

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by shawnc22 »

seeing as how the eternals disk isnt out for another month or so, are you guys just converting from p5 to p8 for player compatibility reasons?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:25 am
seeing as how the eternals disk isnt out for another month or so, are you guys just converting from p5 to p8 for player compatibility reasons?
I prefer converting p5 to p8 because this way I can also watch it on my projector with madVR.
staknhalo

Post by staknhalo »

shawnc22 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:25 am
disc ain't IMAX
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:51 am

I prefer converting p5 to p8 because this way I can also watch it on my projector with madVR.
What PC hardware setup do you have please as I wasn’t aware playback of Dolby Vision media via Windows was even possible?

Thanks.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

DolbyVisionFTW wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:53 am
What PC hardware setup do you have please as I wasn’t aware playback of Dolby Vision media via Windows was even possible?
Thanks.
I meant, converting to profile 8 allows me to playback in HDR10(in SDR actually) on my PJ and in DV on my TV.
480pSDR

Post by 480pSDR »

Hello!

If I would like to enjoy Dolby Vision movies directly on a LG C1 (via USB) the only thing I need to change is the container from *.mkv to *.ts with tsMuxeR, right? Tried it with a remux of Kong vs. Godzilla and Adams Family and the TV won't switch to DV, it "only" (first world problems) shows HDR. What did I forget?

Sorry if I ask something that was answered in one of the sites in this topic, which started 2018, but getting Dolby Vision up and running on some devices needs some work and I hope someone can provide me links with information so I can enjoy DV files on the LG C1.

Thank you in advance.
Albano

Post by Albano »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:03 pm
If the DV web-dl has black bars hardcoded in the video, the active area is already correct in the RPU so no need to modify it.
In other words, you only need to set the active area when your web-dl has cropped black bars(iTunes web-dl) because those web-dl don't have any L5 active area. (if they did, they would play overcropped on devices that use L5)

Most of the devices seem to ignore L5 (shield, x700) but the internal player of LG oled TV does use it so it's better to set the L5 correctly instead of top/bottom to 0/0 for every movie.
Thanks for your tutorial videos.
I have this question.
How to determine if the web-dl version has black bars hardcoded in the video?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

Albano wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:18 pm
Thanks for your tutorial videos.
I have this question.
How to determine if the web-dl version has black bars hardcoded in the video?
Check the video resolution.
3840x2160 = black bars hardcoded or 16:9 content

cropped video resolution will be something like this: 3840x1600
480pSDR wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am
Hello!

If I would like to enjoy Dolby Vision movies directly on a LG C1 (via USB) the only thing I need to change is the container from *.mkv to *.ts with tsMuxeR, right? Tried it with a remux of Kong vs. Godzilla and Adams Family and the TV won't switch to DV, it "only" (first world problems) shows HDR. What did I forget?

Sorry if I ask something that was answered in one of the sites in this topic, which started 2018, but getting Dolby Vision up and running on some devices needs some work and I hope someone can provide me links with information so I can enjoy DV files on the LG C1.

Thank you in advance.
Convert to profile 8.1:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=2970#p96282
PU7jJ

Post by PU7jJ »

Hi,

Thanks for all the help and information, I have some questions in regards to one video file.
It's a BCore HDR10 rip, in full color range. I took measurements with Madvr, converted to a rpu, edited l5.
Is there a way to edit the flag in the rpu for full range color? I haven't found a way to edit this header data in an rpu.
Playing the file back as DV with the "bl_video_full_range_flag" as 'false' results in crushed blacks because of the level mismatch with the BL.
Would it take more than switching that to 'true'?

Also, what exactly does using the madvr measurements method do? Is this a viable way to maybe approach the 'real' dynamic metadata, or should I see it more as just a way to put the HDR10 static metadata in a DV container, maybe like those media players with the 'VS10 engine' do on the fly?
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

PU7jJ wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:09 pm
Is there a way to edit the flag in the rpu for full range color? I haven't found a way to edit this header data in an rpu.
If your device support MKV DV, it can be done with mkvmerge, you change the BL from full to limited. I did it a couple of times, it works great on the shield.

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\MKVToolNix\mkvmerge.exe" -o X:\output.mkv --colour-range 0:1  X:\input.mkv
it revert back to full range with tsmuxer and mp4muxer.
PU7jJ wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:09 pm
Also, what exactly does using the madvr measurements method do? Is this a viable way to maybe approach the 'real' dynamic metadata, or should I see it more as just a way to put the HDR10 static metadata in a DV container, maybe like those media players with the 'VS10 engine' do on the fly?
It's really dynamic and very close to the original DV. It measures each pixel just like the Dolby algo and the dovi_tools use those values to create proper L1 metadata.
I've compared with the Spears and Munsil clip and the scene cuts (brightness changes) are exactly the same as the original. The difference is the trim passes which are optional in DV.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:12 pm
dakyone wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:35 am
Hello, I’m trying to makes things work for movies with Dolby Vision FEL and TrueHD Atmos/DTS:X.
1- Yes
2- I never tried with the HDMI out 2 but it should work, I don't see why it wouldn't. X700 supports DTS-X and TrueHD Atmos passthrough.
3- Yes, but the ethernet is only 100mbps. Lossless audio should be supported as well via your network. I use a USB, so maybe other users can confirm.
Cruzader1986 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:06 pm
Why does DV mp4 from netflix play as HDR on non-DV screen while DV mp4 from disney plus will show a green sdr on non-DV screen? Is there a way to convert the disney DV?
Because most of the Netflix web-dl were converted from profile 5 to profile 8 (with an HDR10 BL).
Some release groups prefer that instead of releasing a DV p5 and an HDR10 version.
Baer2021 wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:26 pm
There apparently was a big 158MB Google Chromecast update released today that includes Dolby Vision playback performance as a line item in the change log - anybody that can test if it improves performance or maybe allows lossless audio?

Thanks!
I wonder if they fixed the problem that LLDV is the default mode.
lionhunter wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:23 pm
You're saying Chromecast Google TV plays FEL? Under what conditions? Using Plex? A specific version of Kodi? Dual track P7 Dolby Vision?
PLEX, MKV ST-DL.
Hi everybody. I contributed this thread several months ago with my experience with Chromecast with Google TV, I'm happy with this device, I was looking for a small device that could camouflage in the furniture without being seen, and the priority was that it could deliver the best picture quality my Panasonic HZ1000 could bring, so the support of FEL DV was critical.

Regarding audio, the Chromecast with Google TV supports:
  • Dolby Digital
  • Dolby Digital Plus
  • Dolby digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
  • DTS
  • Passthrough of DTS Core 5.1 inside DTS-HD
  • AAC
  • PCM
And doesn't support:
  • Dolby TrueHD
  • Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
  • DTS-HD
  • DTS-X
At the moment, in my country there is almost no Atmos/DTS-X film in my language, and I'm not capable of enjoy a film in english (my english is not so good), so I will live without positional audio a long time. Also my AVR doesn't support Atmos or DTS-X, but it's capable with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD.

So my solution is to convert the best quality audio in my language if it's not supported. I do it with ffmpeg converting to EAC3 5.1 1536kbps, and adding it as default audio track. Practically there is no film with more than 5.1 channels in my language and my ear can't distinguish the new track from the original.

But it's my particular case, each one will be different.

Almost a year later, it seems there is not much more offer in the market that can fully play DV FEL titles.

But I've got a question spinning in the head, this device supports both Player-Led(LLDV) and TV-Led Dolby Vision playback, but it defaults LLDV, it seems that even when the TV supports TV-Led, like my Panasonic OLED HZ1000 and all the other new TVs, that support both modes. It's confirmed by Google technical support, who I asked about this.

RESET_9999, Manix or other member that can answer, do you know if there is a substantial loss of quality with the CCwGTV playing DV FEL files in LLDV compared with TV-Led.

First of all I have to say that, in my setup, I can't confirm if it plays in LLDV or Player-LED, my TV can't show any info of this kind. I have tested facts:
  • Vincents Teoh says that during a TV-LED playback Dolby Vision IQ can't use the light sensor of the TV, with my Panasonic HZ1000 the sensor is regulating correctly the brightness on the image.
  • I have changed the DV mode supported by my TV from 1(mainly TV-Led playback) to 2(mainly Player-Led playback) and the image quality, colour and brightness seems the same.
Those who have tested it against other device, ¿could you compare the image quality between the CCwGTV TV-Led playback against other full DV FEL player with TV-Led? ¡Thanks!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yossSP wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:14 pm
So my solution is to convert the best quality audio in my language if it's not supported. I do it with ffmpeg converting to EAC3 5.1 1536kbps, and adding it as default audio track. Practically there is no film with more than 5.1 channels in my language and my ear can't distinguish the new track from the original.
E-AC3 1536kbps from ffmpeg is really good, much better than lossy DTS 1536kbps and very close to DTS-HD quality. I just wish ffmpeg supported 7.1 channel. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=177346&page=4

yossSP wrote:
it's confirmed by Google technical support, who I asked about this.
Did they say if they are ever going to change that?

yossSP wrote:

RESET_9999, Manix or other member that can answer, do you know if there is a substantial loss of quality with the CCwGTV playing DV FEL files in LLDV compared with TV-Led.
I think the problem is something in the RPU not being applied correctly so yeah there is some quality loss like the Vincent video showed. FEL or MEL, the bug is the same.
We will know more when the new Spears and Munsil disc is out
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:10 pm
yossSP wrote:
E-AC3 1536kbps from ffmpeg is really good, much better than lossy DTS 1536kbps and very close to DTS-HD quality. I just wish ffmpeg supported 7.1 channel. https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=177346&page=4
Me too, perhaps in a future :)
RESET_9999 wrote:
yossSP wrote:
it's confirmed by Google technical support, who I asked about this.
Did they say if they are ever going to change that?
Absolutely, I have to wait almost 2 months to receive the answer, so they will escalate the question to the "next level of technical support", and the reply was as concised as I told. I've never reply again, they're too slow and brief.
RESET_9999 wrote:
I think the problem is something in the RPU not being applied correctly so yeah there is some quality loss like the Vincent video showed. FEL or MEL, the bug is the same.
Ok, I just found this thread: https://www.avforums.com/threads/is-dol ... 299/page-2
A user says: "So Dolby Vision on HZ series isn't as bad as I thought overall. HZ1000 paired with newest Chromecast didn't show the same issues as with Sony X700 in player-led mode. Comparing TV-led output from X700 and player-led from Chromecast, I couldn't spot any differences - APL seemed equal, highlights were nice and bright without any differences in clipping and couldn't see any added posterization. And no frame-skipping of course, as expected from player-led. All blu-ray players should perform equally in terms of player-led output quality so I doubt it's my X700's fault, but nice to see that player-led is usuable on some of the streaming devices at least."

Thanks for your reply :)
Last edited by yossSP on Sun May 22, 2022 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

yossSP wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:30 pm
Ok, I just found this thread: https://www.avforums.com/threads/is-dol ... 299/page-2
A user says: "So Dolby Vision on HZ series isn't as bad as I thought overall. HZ1000 paired with newest Chromecast didn't show the same issues as with Sony X700 in player-led mode. Comparing TV-led output from X700 and player-led from Chromecast, I couldn't spot any differences - APL seemed equal, highlights were nice and bright without any differences in clipping and couldn't see any added posterization. And no frame-skipping of course, as expected from player-led. All blu-ray players should perform equally in terms of player-led output quality so I doubt it's my X700's fault, but nice to see that player-led is usuable on some of the streaming devices at least."

Thanks for your reply :)
Maybe something changed since then but when I had a Chromecast (months ago), I checked the lldv bug and it was as bad as the x700 or the shield.
With the Spears and munsil Eagle beak scene, you can't miss it.
DolbyVisionFTW

Post by DolbyVisionFTW »

RESET_9999 wrote:

Is there an ETA for that, do you know?

Thanks.