Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
mulucy

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by mulucy »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:57 pm
XTrojan wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:31 am
Can someone install Kodi on the latest chromecast and see if it supports FEL playback with lossless audio and no bugs? Been thinking of buying it but hesitating due to how the ugoos turned out
DV MKV on kodi triggers DV for a second and stop. HD audio passthrough is not supported.
-for DTS-HD DTS-X, it will bitstream the DTS lossy core
-for TrueHD, it will send audio as LPCM stereo
- lossy DD+ atmos and DD bitstream works
- same behavior on PLEX but it will play DV MKV as long as the selected audio is not TrueHD.
- DD+ atmos works on iTunes but not on Movies Anywhere.

I'm not able to get tv-led DV on my OLED C8, tried many times, no luck. HDR10/SDR/DV are all sent in 422 12bits and the colors are accurate on the C8. So it looks like the chromecast default DV mode is LLDV and only display that doesn't support LLDV get TV-led DV.

On my Vizio TV(doesn't support LLDV), I get tv-led DV but then HDR10/SDR are stuck in 444 8bit resulting in incorrect HDR10 colors just like the ugoos device. SDR 8bit 444 is color accurate though.
In the display settings, if I select 24hz SMTP, then HDR10/SDR are 444 12bit and colors are accurate but I lose DV on everything (plex iTunes Ma vudu fandango etc). Also, every time you switch from 24hz to 24hz SMTP, you have to reboot the device.

Itunes is converting DV to HDR10 on the fly like the appleTV used to do. It's sending random metadata. Movies anywhere send pure HDR10 stream. Didn't test the other apps.

Vizio 24hz mode HDR10 (DV works but incorrect 8bit in HDR10)

24hz SMTP mode HDR10: (same for vizio and C8) (DV doesn't work but 12bits in HDR10)

OLED C8 (no tv-led support):

Vizio DV (tv-led support):

iTunes DV in HDR10 (wrong metadata)

Movies anywhere DV in HDR10 (proper metadata)
Would you recommend Chromecast with Google TV based on the test results you are getting? I am not into any serious lossless audio setup, it's all lossy since I live in the apartment ( I don't even have Atmos speakers, will get them once I move into my house later ). My main concern is the support for DV FEL and other HDR formats with my Vizio PX Quantum and TCL 6 Series. I mainly watch movies from UHD disk backups .

Just to add more to my comment, I am very happy with my Fire TV Sticks 4K. They are rock solid, do support MEL DV and have auto frame rate on top on most apps.

Thank you again!
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

mulucy wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 am

Would you recommend Chromecast with Google TV based on the test results you are getting? I am not into any serious lossless audio setup, it's all lossy since I live in the apartment ( I don't even have Atmos speakers, will get them once I move into my house later ). My main concern is the support for DV FEL and other HDR formats with my Vizio PX Quantum and TCL 6 Series. I mainly watch movies from UHD disk backups .

Just to add more to my comment, I am very happy with my Fire TV Sticks 4K. They are rock solid, do support MEL DV and have auto frame rate on top on most apps.

Thank you again!
My only concern is the fact that it output DV in player-led mode by default (at least with my C8) when it's fully capable of sending tv-led DV.
I don't really know about its playback stability yet but overall, I think it is a better device than the firestick tv because of FEL support. (better DV + no bothering with the conversion from fel to p8)
Also, I had a firestick a while ago and it supported the appleTV app in 60hz only while the Chromecast may not be able to switch frame rate automatically but if you leave it in 23.976, you'll be fine for most of the movies.
RikkiKu

Post by RikkiKu »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 pm
galarond wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:20 pm
Theres any way to convert a dv mkv dual layer mixed into 1 video file, to a normal dual layer mp4?
Extract the hevc stream from mkv with mkvextract (or tsmuxer, ffmpeg, mkvcleaver) and then demux the hevc stream with yusesoap tool (DEMUX.bat) which will split the layers and then build a new dual-layer dual-track mp4 with the mp4muxer
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602&start=2970#p96282
I did the same but it doesn't work
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

RikkiKu wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 am

I did the same but it doesn't work
i don't know about your playback device but it does work, I did it many times.
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

where can i download a small sample file of mkv dolby vision?
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

kazuma wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:21 pm
https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/
kazuma

Post by kazuma »

bobbymkV wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:09 pm
kazuma wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:21 pm
https://www.makemkv.com/download/dvtest/
thnx! none of the files worked als DV on my chinoppo m9201 and LG C9. are these dual-layer dv's? where can i find the post to make DV-mkv?
userr

Post by userr »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:17 am
Just got a Chromecast, and I confirm that it's a FEL DV capable device. The ending credits of Power rangers is bright white... FEL noise visible on test file as confirmed before. great player for my bedroom TV :)

player-led and tv-led seem to be behaving strangely ... on my C8 OLED I'm only getting LLDV(player-led) but on my cheap Vizio TV which doesn't support LLDV I get TV-led DV. HDR10 and SDR are color accurate.
*tested iTunes, Movies Anywhere, and PLEX

also, no red push in the Dr. Sleep p7 rip. The Shield is really the only device that has color issues and yet, the nvidia staff still say that they don't see any difference :lol: ...

very interesting, still satisfied with it?

edit: i havent been paying attention for a good while. Last time i was reading here, we really didnt know if FEL was even displayed correctly on 2019 shield, any news on that?

Im asking you because i know you are know much about this DV subject :)
norrellmeister

Post by norrellmeister »

Spent some time with the Chromecast Google TV today with Plex. I confirmed that FEL is playing, as expected. Some mkv remuxes don’t seem to DV at all without manually switching audio tracks, because they start to direct stream instead of direct play due to audio codec limitations, and on this device that breaks DV. When DV does work, audio is often showing up as multichannel PCM on the receiver, as expected based on other posts here. Image quality looks really good, probably better than the Shield. I did see one situation where audio and video got out of sync, and one situation where the FEL layer was playing just slightly out of sync. This was visible as ghosting in Power Rangers white credits. Seeking in the video fixed that up quickly.
One more thing: stability is overall better than Ugoos, but I am seeing issues where if I switch sway from Plex, the video goes to HDR mode instead of DV. Restarting the video fixes it. Not perfect, but likely better than the Shield for my purposes, for P7 files.
The device was set to 24p manually, since it has no auto frame rate switching.
userr

Post by userr »

norrellmeister wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:16 pm
Spent some time with the Chromecast Google TV today with Plex. I confirmed that FEL is playing, as expected. Some mkv remuxes don’t seem to DV at all without manually switching audio tracks, because they start to direct stream instead of direct play due to audio codec limitations, and on this device that breaks DV. When DV does work, audio is often showing up as multichannel PCM on the receiver, as expected based on other posts here. Image quality looks really good, probably better than the Shield. I did see one situation where audio and video got out of sync, and one situation where the FEL layer was playing just slightly out of sync. This was visible as ghosting in Power Rangers white credits. Seeking in the video fixed that up quickly.
One more thing: stability is overall better than Ugoos, but I am seeing issues where if I switch sway from Plex, the video goes to HDR mode instead of DV. Restarting the video fixes it. Not perfect, but likely better than the Shield for my purposes, for P7 files.
doesnt the plex app itself have framerate switching tho?
psychoboust

Post by psychoboust »

Do you think some new 2021 TV with the last Android TV version will be able to run some MP4 or MKV DV profile directly from the TV without any external box ?
I was looking for a new TV and wonder if it will be possible to get that without my Shield Pro...
chros

Post by chros »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:30 pm
chros wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:32 pm

I've added the B8 DoVi graphs into the post above.
so since my TV use maxcll (or MDL when no maxcll) and because maxcll is not very reliable(often incorrect), is it better to use madvr ''output in hdr'' with peak set to 700nits? what do you use ?
Come over the doom9 LG Oled with madvr thread we can talk about it more there.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

userr wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:33 pm
norrellmeister wrote:
Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:16 pm
doesnt the plex app itself have framerate switching tho?
When I had the CCwGTV no app would switch the refresh rate, not even Plex, it needed to be done in settings which lead me to believe frame rate switching isn’t supported on the device, I even tried the refresh rate app from the shield but it wouldn’t run.
mulucy

Post by mulucy »

What's happening with the main website?
Epedemic

Post by Epedemic »

mulucy wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:16 pm
What's happening with the main website?
Good question, seems like missing payment on hosting (or the hosting providers hosting), but that's just speculation.