Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
MOHAX777

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by MOHAX777 »

quietvoid wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:15 pm
ExoPlayer isn't relevant here, it doesn't do any of the Dolby Vision processing.
That's up to Android MediaCodec and the proprietary pipeline to deal with.
There are some types of metadata (Block type) in mkv header was added, example for dv-7 profile: dvcC (Dolby Vision configuration) and hvcE (Dolby Vision enhancement-layer HEVC configuration). In source code i found references only for dvcC. In my understanding, the exo mkv-parser must transmit also hvcE meta-data to MediaCodec for EL processing :?:
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

MOHAX777 wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:19 am
There are some types of metadata (Block type) in mkv header was added, example for dv-7 profile: dvcC (Dolby Vision configuration) and hvcE (Dolby Vision enhancement-layer HEVC configuration). In source code i found references only for dvcC. In my understanding, the exo mkv-parser must transmit also hvcE meta-data to MediaCodec for EL processing :?:
That is just processing the container, none of the video is processed within the player.
There's no other hint necessary for the EL, it's self contained in the main bitstream and that's up to the decoder to figure out.
Simply telling it that the bitstream *may* contain Dolby Vision is enough.

It's still the proprietary decoder's job to decode the RPU and do the rest of the processing.
Some ignore the EL, some panic when they encounter profile 7 FEL, some don't work at all with profile 7. There's nothing that can be done.
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

Back at the Ugoos grind instead of working on a Friday lol. I seem to have figured out the issue with transcoding DTS, so that's good news for me at least. I made an 1.16.3 MKV of Power Rangers a bit ago and have been playing around with it in the latest Plex Beta and Fandango's Kodi. I can definitely get Kodi into a playable state, though as others have mentioned it takes awhile before it is smooth. The difference I'm noticing between Plex and Kodi is that Plex is constantly micro stuttering. I also cannot move the playback forward or back in Plex. That can be done in Kodi, so I was able to verify the FEL is playing at the end credits.

I don't really plan on doing much work today, does anyone want me to test anything? :mrgreen:
RESET_9999

Post by RESET_9999 »

I got PLEX to trigger both DV and Atmos in a MKV container and for the 5 minutes I watched (power rangers), it was perfectly stable. AVR showed lossless Atmos.
but once again when I stopped playback and started it again, back to lpcm stereo and no more DV. Just gotta wait for a ugoos update, I just sent them another email.

bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

Watched a new 1917 mkv in its entirety with Kodi - no fast forwarding or pausing. The Ugoos glitched a couple times at like the 35m mark and then around 80m. It was similar to what it does at the start and eventually fixes itself.

Not sure how to convey issues like these to Ugoos support. We are using an unofficial build of Kodi and they probably need sample files to test.
ragico

Post by ragico »

bedders wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:21 pm
ragico wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm
"A fellow Panasonic owner! Do you also only get LLDV option in DV display settings on the Ugoos?"

Dolby Vision settings:
Dolby Vision enable low latency (YUV)
Dolby Vision disable

The Panasonic GZ series (2019) do not support Tv led as far as I know.
This feature has been introduced in 2020 HZ series.

By the way, I am waiting for an Oled LG CX in nest days and will report accordingly-
I don’t believe that’s the case. My understanding is that Panasonic has always had TV led DV support on their OLEDs. What has been a problem is source devices detecting it due to the way the capabilities are presented in EDID. So this would be possible for Ugoos to fix their side. Otherwise we would need something like HDFury Dr HDMI to fix it up. I’ve asked Ugoos if they can look into it.
Read this: https://professionalsupport.dolby.com/s ... uage=en_US
Ride_UL

Post by Ride_UL »

bobbymkV wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:02 am
Watched a new 1917 mkv in its entirety with Kodi - no fast forwarding or pausing. The Ugoos glitched a couple times at like the 35m mark and then around 80m. It was similar to what it does at the start and eventually fixes itself.

Not sure how to convey issues like these to Ugoos support. We are using an unofficial build of Kodi and they probably need sample files to test.
Ignore this movie
Same issues on any AndroidTV too (No FF or Pausing)
norrellmeister

Post by norrellmeister »

Anyone seeing random HDMI resyncs with the Ugoos, even while viewing the movie list on Plex? I’m seeing that, and can’t watch movies for more than a couple minutes without resync or black screens.
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

norrellmeister wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 pm
Anyone seeing random HDMI resyncs with the Ugoos, even while viewing the movie list on Plex? I’m seeing that, and can’t watch movies for more than a couple minutes without resync or black screens.
Try another cable. Worked for me with minix u22
bobbymkV

Post by bobbymkV »

Is it worth moving the Ugoos/Minix player discussion to another forum? Not sure if people are aggrieved about it or not....

Anyways, I forgot I had a wireless G20 remote lying around. Big improvement over the IR remote that came with the AM6+. Power button just had to be remapped to sleep.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

norrellmeister wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:59 pm
Had this with the Zidoo Z9X [Realtek chipset] and LG issued firmware update to fix it, I believe some Panasonic users still have this problem.
I don’t seeAmlogic having the same clout that Realtek/ Dolby did on this situation to be honest.
bedders

Post by bedders »

ragico wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:17 pm
bedders wrote:
ragico wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:13 pm

Dolby Vision settings:
Dolby Vision enable low latency (YUV)
Dolby Vision disable

The Panasonic GZ series (2019) do not support Tv led as far as I know.
This feature has been introduced in 2020 HZ series.

By the way, I am waiting for an Oled LG CX in nest days and will report accordingly-
I don’t believe that’s the case. My understanding is that Panasonic has always had TV led DV support on their OLEDs. What has been a problem is source devices detecting it due to the way the capabilities are presented in EDID. So this would be possible for Ugoos to fix their side. Otherwise we would need something like HDFury Dr HDMI to fix it up. I’ve asked Ugoos if they can look into it.
Wow ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the link
Marc676

Post by Marc676 »

bedders wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:56 am
ragico wrote:
bedders wrote:

Hi, i't's a while a while i'm following this discussion (I own a Panasonic gz1000 and ugoos am6 plus). Out there (tech forums) it's full of panasonic owners of gz series that set their oppo or bluray player on "tv-led" because they say the Tv supports it, and watch their movies this way. I'm just saying what i've read, not saying what's right or wrong, but maybe is possible that article is in error if they say Panasonic Gz does not support TV Led.

Ps. If in Panasonic menu/settings/hdr hdmi settings/ Dynamyc HDR/ Dolby Vision is turned off, The Ugoos lldv option disappears, replaced by "enable Dolby Vision" (of course it does not work because the option is turned off on tv.). But i don't think this option should show, a clue that something is wrong in the communication with the 2 devices.
bedders

Post by bedders »

Marc676 wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:57 pm
bedders wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:56 am
ragico wrote:

Hi, i't's a while a while i'm following this discussion (I own a Panasonic gz1000 and ugoos am6 plus). Out there (tech forums) it's full of panasonic owners of gz series that set their oppo or bluray player on "tv-led" because they say the Tv supports it, and watch their movies this way. I'm just saying what i've read, not saying what's right or wrong, but maybe is possible that article is in error if they say Panasonic Gz does not support TV Led.

Ps. If in Panasonic menu/settings/hdr hdmi settings/ Dynamyc HDR/ Dolby Vision is turned off, The Ugoos lldv option disappears, replaced by "enable Dolby Vision" (of course it does not work because the option is turned off on tv.). But i don't think this option should show, a clue that something is wrong in the communication with the 2 devices.
Thanks for sharing. I had also seen those same forum posts on forcing Oppo to output TV led and was of the same understanding that it would enable TV led on pre-2020 Panasonics.
This has given me an idea to try - disable Dolby Vision in TV in order to get the “Enable Dolby Vision” option on Ugoos then once selected, enable DV on the TV again and see if there’s a picture..
I’ll test this and report back.

Update: With DV disabled on TV, I was able to get “Dolby Vision Enable” option on Ugoos after power cycling my AVR to renegotiate the HDMI. However, turning this on did not trigger DV in modified Kodi. Also setting to force DV on Ugoos also did not show DV. I did still get a picture, there just wasn’t DV. Which makes me think that TV led most likely is supported, but the DV isn’t activating from Ugoos while DV is disabled in TV despite setting it to be enabled in Ugoos.
It would be if a Panasonic owner with Ugoos had an EDID device like HDFury to test
MOHAX777

Post by MOHAX777 »

RESET_9999 wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:07 am
Just gotta wait for a ugoos update, I just sent them another email.
Recently, the Ugoos firmware has been cracked (hole in the amlogic side), so it is very likely that there will be no new firmware.