Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
RESET_9999

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by RESET_9999 »

deadchip12 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:26 am

Wait, hold up... So you mean this only works when that hard drive contains nothing but that movie's folders?
you can have other files/folders in the hdd but only one bluray folder structure in the root will trigger DV.

jedd_ai

Post by jedd_ai »

NiCE77 wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:01 am
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:05 am
bobbymkV wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:28 am
UGOOS AM6 Plus (which has Amlogic S922X-J SoC)
Is the Minix neo running Ugoos firmware a better buy hardware wise or are they the same build quality?
Same, I have both.
Any difference between Ugoos and Minix in terms of DV format support? Which one would you recommend,?
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

jedd_ai wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:45 pm
NiCE77 wrote:
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:05 am

Is the Minix neo running Ugoos firmware a better buy hardware wise or are they the same build quality?
Same, I have both.
Any difference between Ugoos and Minix in terms of DV format support? Which one would you recommend,?
Funnily enough I found the Minix loaded with the Ugoos 4.0 firmware to perform slightly better than the Ugoos when using Kodi in terms of stuttering after seeking. I've also found that running the DV mkv through mkvtoolnix after being created in MakeMKV makes it perform in terms of stuttering in Kodi. Hopefully of course all of these issues will be sorted in Kodi. So at the moment my recommendation is to get the Minix and load the Ugoos firmware on it!
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

mattmarsden wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:13 pm
jedd_ai wrote:
NiCE77 wrote:

Same, I have both.
Funnily enough I found the Minix loaded with the Ugoos 4.0 firmware to perform slightly better than the Ugoos when using Kodi in terms of stuttering after seeking. I've also found that running the DV mkv through mkvtoolnix after being created in MakeMKV makes it perform in terms of stuttering in Kodi. Hopefully of course all of these issues will be sorted in Kodi. So at the moment my recommendation is to get the Minix and load the Ugoos firmware on it!
Cheers Matt, sounds like a plan.
jedd_ai

Post by jedd_ai »

mattmarsden wrote:
jedd_ai wrote:
NiCE77 wrote:

Same, I have both.
Thanks.
magnetoeric

Post by magnetoeric »

Great to hear that x700 plays DV from the bd structure :D I had S6700 which also supported bd structure, but the screen used to freeze for few seconds while forwarding/rewinding. Does this mean it's better to go for sony? Unfortunately i can't purchase ugoos or minix at my place.
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

mattmarsden wrote:
jedd_ai wrote:
NiCE77 wrote:

Same, I have both.
Any difference between Ugoos and Minix in terms of DV format support? Which one would you
recommend,?
When using the minix, after I stop the Dolby vision movie and the Kodi gui shows up I see what looks like another refresh rate change. Also the same when I exit Kodi and go back to the android interface. Do you experience that?
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

For the guys with the minix, leave a comment here if you are interested in having Dolby vision in CoreELEC.

https://theminixforum.com/index.php?thr ... post-32157
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

Big-rome wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:37 pm
For the guys with the minix, leave a comment here if you are interested in having Dolby vision in CoreELEC.

I thought Quietvoid said this wasn’t possible in Linux?
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:41 pm
Big-rome wrote:

It’s possible now if someone built a 32 bit version of CoreELEC. The devs would rather a 64 bit Dolby Vision kernel module.
quietvoid

Post by quietvoid »

Right, it's only possible because the SoC manufacturer has provided the proprietary kernel info for these new chips.
There are older open sourced versions on Github, but I assume these devices run on Linux 4.9+ now.
mattmarsden

Post by mattmarsden »

It would be amazing to have DV in CoreELEC, especially as the Minix is one of very few devices that can do full enhancement layer. I imagine some tweaks would have to be made to allow it to read DV mkvs, could this be ported from the Android DV Kodi build?
phbart

Post by phbart »

shawnc22 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:29 pm
NiCE77 wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:43 pm
I tried the new Ugoos 0.40 fw mod on Minix and from now on just use Plex, DV playback is perfect from STDL MEL/FEL ts, mp4 and mkv too.
Can you give this sample from saving private ryan a try and see if you notice any flickering throughout?

https://mega.nz/file/ECAA0DwZ#K8yxC-GMU ... coHzQk-6YQ
I tested those files on my LG OLED B7P (I know, quite old model).

- Ryan DV SL 05.06.mp4 triggered DV, but was flickering
- Ryan DV DL 07.06.mp4 triggered DV as well, but was flicker free.

What does that mean? What are those files, exactly?

I'm sorry if it's a dumb question, but at 300+ pages it's kind of difficult to keep up. Thanks in advance. :D
bedders

Post by bedders »

Big-rome wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:44 pm
DaMacFunkin wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:41 pm
Big-rome wrote:

It’s possible now if someone built a 32 bit version of CoreELEC. The devs would rather a 64 bit Dolby Vision kernel module.
64 bit DV library is unlikely since Amlogic only have a 32 bit SDK, Dolby only provide them 32 bit library. I got this info from Ugoos
Big-rome

Post by Big-rome »

quietvoid wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:13 pm
Right, it's only possible because the SoC manufacturer has provided the proprietary kernel info for these new chips.
There are older open sourced versions on Github, but I assume these devices run on Linux 4.9+ now.
Correct