Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
Manixx2020beyound

Re: Dolby Vision now possible through MP4 Mux.

Post by Manixx2020beyound »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:12 am
Hello, finally I also have tested the Total Recall escene in my Chromecast with Google TV.

Test equipment:
- Chromecast with Google TV updated with february firmware
- Panasonic HZ1000 OLED TV updated with last firmware
- Plex server and Plex for Android TV app beta, updated to last beta version
- Emby server beta and Emby for Android TV app beta, updated to last beta version

As I reported before, none of the samples provided by RESET_9999 activate Dolby Vision in my case, except de P8 MEL test, that shows clearly the compression artifacts.

At the end I have been able to get a copy of the DV version of Total Recall (1990) and I proceeded to test it in the scene at 43 minutes, the spaceship landing.
I created a single track double layer Dolby Vision FEL profile 7 mkv file with MakeMKV.

I have made 3 playback tests and the results are curiously the following:
- Normal playback in Dolby Vision: No artifacts shown!, so it's processing the FEL layer, isn't it?
- Playback disabling the Dolby Vision compatibility in my TV: my TV reports it plays as HDR10 and... don't show artifacts!
- I created a HDR10 version with MakeMKV selecting only de HDR10 layer (NO the EL layer): it shows the artifacts clearly.

The image quality of the Dolby Vision version is very good for me, with no artifacts and a punchy impact.

It's very curious for me the second case:
- Playback disabling the Dolby Vision compatibility in my TV: my TV reports it plays as HDR10 and... don't show artifacts!

Unfortunately, as known, the SDR screenshots I did are of no utility because of the wrong colour and detail.

I disabled the tone mapping and any image improvement of the TV but it seems that the Chromecast is still using the FEL layer to improve the HDR10 output, I didn't be aware of this smart behaviour :)
Had that happen with my Philips player some how bc u have dual decoders it still uses the fel along with the hdr10.
In my Chromecast test plex starts the mkv as HDR10 then switches to dv don’t know if that’s normal.
dysprosium

Post by dysprosium »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:03 am
You're wrong, the new Chromecast with Google TV has an Amlogic S905D3 (https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/VIM3/Dat ... Wesion.pdf):
● SoC: Amlogic S905D3 Quad Core 4x ARM-A55 @ 1.9GHz (64bit) / GPU Mali-G31 MP2 / 12nm.
● Amlogic Video Engine (AVE) with dedicated hardware decoders and encoders
● Support multi-video decoder up to 4x1080P@60fps
● Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding

I have tested samples of every Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer profile (P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8) and it plays every of them from begining to end without stuttering.

The short 5 seconds playback you mentioned just happened with some RESET_9999 samples selfmade, that aren't compatible with my system.
Ah, you're right about it being the S905D3, I'll edit my post to fix. It's interesting that the S905D3 can decode multiple streams "up to 4x1080P@60fps"; 4x1080P@60fps is equal to 1x2160P@60fps, or 1x2160P@30fps + 4x1080P@30fps, so it would be enough to fully decode FEL at 23.976fps, which is the majority of DV UHDs. However, to fully decode a FEL at 2160P@60fps, you would need to decode 1x2160P@60fps + 1x1080P@60fps, so it seems like the Chromecast with Google TV might not be able to deal with this while the AM6Plus could (in theory). If there was a 2160p@60fps FEL UHD released one day, we could test this (Gemini Man is close, but is 2160p@60fps MEL).

Also, it seems like the CPU doesn't even matter regarding this - the datasheets all say
Amlogic Video Engine(AVE-10) off-loads the Cortex-A55 CPUs from all video CODEC processing. It includes dedicated hardware video decoder and encoder.
So it seems like the AVE-10 hardware decoder is the key thing that is enabling the proper FEL decode on the S905D3 and S922X-J. Perhaps this explains why the RTD1619DR is not capable of decoding FEL, despite having a very similar CPU (6x ARM Cortex-A55) to the S905D3 and S922X-J.
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

So I have the Chinoppo, 2 Shield 2019 Pro, 4K firestick, Zidoo Z9X, had the Google thing with the long name and sold it because it can’t do lossless audio, what do I buy next, is this Ugog a winner?
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:06 am
So I have the Chinoppo, 2 Shield 2019 Pro, 4K firestick, Zidoo Z9X, had the Google thing with the long name and sold it because it can’t do lossless audio, what do I buy next, is this Ugog a winner?
As far as I know Ugoos AM6 don't have official certificates so it can't play HD in most of streaming platforms, but if it has good image quality it could be a good option for local content playback.

After a decade of playback of lossless audio tracks I have switched to this small device to get an all in one solution: suppport for 4K HDR, 5.1 in almost every streaming platforms, the best app store in my opinion, offical Google support, compatibility with all HDR formats in local content, great image quality and expandable through USB 3.0 type C.

About audio, Chromecast with Google TV supports:

- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital Plus
- Dolby digital Plus + Dolby Atmos
- DTS (not officially, but it supported with Kodi)
- DTS-ES Discrete y Matrix (not officially, but supported with Kodi)
- AAC
- PCM Multichannel (not officially, but supported in Kodi and Plex)

It doesn't support:
- Dolby TrueHD
- Dolby TrueHD + Dolby Atmos
- DTS-HD
- DTS-X

In my case what I do when necessary is to convert with ffmpeg the best track with audio in a format not supported in my language to Dolby Digital+ (EAC3) at 1536kbps and 5.1 channels and adding it as the default track.

I use EAC3 because is the best multichannel codec my AVR can playback (better than AC3) and I encode it at the highest secure bitrate to maximize quality. I can't go beyond 5.1 channels because it's a limitation ffmpeg has, but there are only a few films that has more than 5.1 channels in my language.

I must say that I can't hear any artifacts and can't distinct anything about audio quality from the original source, and I think I have good hearing.

Other option is to use Kodi to extract raw lossless multichannel PCM, and the audio quality would be exactly the same as the original source, as it seems to do.

Plex is not sure that sends lossless PCM and Emby has issues with this, but are working on it.

To finish I have to say that I don't have an Atmos/DTS-X ready AVR and there is practically no film that have a track of this kind in my language, so I'm not in a hurry with this. I don't know if it could be possible to convert the TrueHD stream to lossless MCPCM or EAC3 and maintain the Atmos layer.
Last edited by yossSP on Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob9000

Post by Rob9000 »

Hi

I have been using Yusesope's tool for while now - great piece of coding! Does anyone know what the tool is actually doing when it converts a DV file to profile 8.1? It looks like it is discarding the EL layer - Media info reports the output as BL+RPU whereas the source file (DV7 MKV) is reported as BL+EL+RPU.
If the EL is being discarded then the output file is really just a HDR10 file.

Thanks
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

The Above reply seems to be about the GCCWTV or what ever they call it, I’m interested in the Ugoo.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

dysprosium wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:38 am
yossSP wrote:
You're wrong, the new Chromecast with Google TV has an Amlogic S905D3 (https://dl.khadas.com/Hardware/VIM3/Dat ... Wesion.pdf):
● SoC: Amlogic S905D3 Quad Core 4x ARM-A55 @ 1.9GHz (64bit) / GPU Mali-G31 MP2 / 12nm.
● Supports multiple “secured” video decoding sessions and simultaneous decoding and encoding

I have tested samples of every Dolby Vision Single Track Double Layer profile (P4, P5, P7 MEL/FEL, P8) and it plays every of them from begining to end without stuttering.

The short 5 seconds playback you mentioned just happened with some RESET_9999 samples selfmade, that aren't compatible with my system.
Ah, you're right about it being the S905D3, I'll edit my post to fix. It's interesting that the S905D3 can decode multiple streams "up to 4x1080P@60fps"; 4x1080P@60fps is equal to 1x2160P@60fps, or 1x2160P@30fps + 4x1080P@30fps, so it would be enough to fully decode FEL at 23.976fps, which is the majority of DV UHDs. However, to fully decode a FEL at 2160P@60fps, you would need to decode 1x2160P@60fps + 1x1080P@60fps, so it seems like the Chromecast with Google TV might not be able to deal with this while the AM6Plus could (in theory). If there was a 2160p@60fps FEL UHD released one day, we could test this (Gemini Man is close, but is 2160p@60fps MEL).

Also, it seems like the CPU doesn't even matter regarding this - the datasheets all say
Amlogic Video Engine(AVE-10) off-loads the Cortex-A55 CPUs from all video CODEC processing. It includes dedicated hardware video decoder and encoder.
So it seems like the AVE-10 hardware decoder is the key thing that is enabling the proper FEL decode on the S905D3 and S922X-J. Perhaps this explains why the RTD1619DR is not capable of decoding FEL, despite having a very similar CPU (6x ARM Cortex-A55) to the S905D3 and S922X-J.
It sounds coherent :)

I can confirm that this Chromecast navigate fluidly Google TV and runs smoothly when playing the heaviest material I've got, which is Dolby Vision 90mbps 24fps FEL titles.
NiCE77

Post by NiCE77 »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 pm
dysprosium wrote:
yossSP wrote:

I can confirm that this Chromecast navigate fluidly Google TV and runs smoothly when playing the heaviest material I've got, which is Dolby Vision 90mbps 24fps FEL titles.
The AFR working with Chromecast?
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

NiCE77 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:57 pm
yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 pm
dysprosium wrote:

The AFR working with Chromecast?
Please don't be so parse... What does means AFR? Automatic Frame Rate?

If so, the answer is no. This Chromecast doesn't do automatic frame rate or resolution change. Neither in system, Plex, Emby or Kodi, it doesn't support the same API this apps use for this functionality.

Perhaps in a future update, the last one open the posibility to playback every Dolby Vision single track profiles, but it's not assured.

My system is always at 4K@60hz and I have to say that playing with the motion config of my Panasonic HZ1000 TV (IFC, Inteligent Frame Creation) the playback is perfectly smooth with no soap opera effect.
ragico

Post by ragico »

@yossSP
Pls what are the IFC settings in yr TV?
Thanks
galarond

Post by galarond »

so, to be clear, im about to buy one of those two guys...

chromecast (internal player with external usb, no plex, servers or anything), vs x700 (internal player with usb) whats the diferrence in video quality and what can/cannot play concerning DV?

m2ts, mkv, mp4

dts, thu hd, ac3, dolby atmos
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

galarond wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:03 pm

chromecast (internal player with external usb, no plex, servers or anything), vs x700 (internal player with usb) whats the diferrence in video quality and what can/cannot play concerning DV?

m2ts, mkv, mp4

For this use discard new Chromecast, it only accepts onlyread FAT32 filesystem on USB storage, so no files with more than 4Gb are possible in it. Incredible these days. Hope Google include exFAT and/or NTFS in future firmware updates.

For now it's an excelent device por streaming content over Internet and local media servers like Plex or Emby.
Last edited by yossSP on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

ragico wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm
@yossSP
Pls what are the IFC settings in yr TV?
Thanks
My settings are Custom with:
- Blur Reduction: 5
- Film Smooth: 6
- Black Frame Insertion: Off

It's perfect for my taste, but every eye is different ;)
DaMacFunkin

Post by DaMacFunkin »

yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:54 pm
galarond wrote:

m2ts, mkv, mp4

For this use discard new Chromecast, it only accepts onlyread FAT32 filesystem on USB storage, so no files with more than 4Gb are possible in it. Incredible this days. Hope Google include exFAT and/or NTFS in future firmware updates.

For now it's an excelent device por streaming content over Internet and local media servers like Plex or Emby.
How can it be if it doesn’t support frame rate matching or hd audio?
yossSP

Post by yossSP »

DaMacFunkin wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:03 pm
yossSP wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:54 pm
galarond wrote:

m2ts, mkv, mp4

For this use discard new Chromecast, it only accepts onlyread FAT32 filesystem on USB storage, so no files with more than 4Gb are possible in it. Incredible this days. Hope Google include exFAT and/or NTFS in future firmware updates.

How can it be if it doesn’t support frame rate matching or hd audio?
Well, the answer is explained in detail written before, in summary, different users have different priorities and needs. For my use, this device is the one that best meets my needs. Clearly, not your case.