Harry Potter 8 movie Collection 4K Discs

Please post here for issues related to UHD discs
preserve

Re: Harry Potter 8 movie Collection 4K Discs

Post by preserve »

BLUNGLD wrote:
Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:16 pm
Every time I make an mkv out of disk 1 (Sorcerer's Stone, 4K disk) I get narration in the resulting file...basically spoken subtitles.
What you're hearing is Described Audio for the visually impaired.

Unselect the second audio track "DD Surround 5.1 English."

And if you don't want the lossy core of the DTS-HD MA 7.1 track as its own separate track, you can unselect the indented "DTS Surround 5.1 English" track as well.

Depending on your playback method you should be able to select which audio track is being played back, without needing to re-rip the disc, although personally I like to save the hard drive space. You could also use something like mkvmerge/MKVtoolnix to remove the unwanted extra audio tracks rather than re-ripping.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
BLUNGLD

Post by BLUNGLD »

Thanks for the help preserve. For me, unchecking the DTS Surround 5.1 English track is what worked. I don't get audio on certain playback clients, but I do get it on the one I mainly use, so I'll run with that solution.
kensmith007

Post by kensmith007 »

preserve,
I can't seem to find the DTS Surround 5.1 English track...is it in the playback player or the MKV ripping preferences?
kensmith007

Post by kensmith007 »

preserve,

So I did find where I can uncheck the DTS-HD MA but I still have narration and one disk had no audio at all - any ideas?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

kensmith007 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:27 am
So I did find where I can uncheck the DTS-HD MA but I still have narration and one disk had no audio at all - any ideas?
Assuming your disc looks like the screen shot from this post: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=17721#p98272 the narrated audio is very likely in the DD Surround 5.1 track. You can uncheck that audio track when you rip the file. The normal audio for the movie is in the DTS-HD and DTS pair above it.

How are you playing the resulting .mkv file? Most players have a way to pick which audio track you want to hear when there are multiple audio tracks in a file.
kensmith007

Post by kensmith007 »

so the .MKV playback is perfectly fine..just my audio seems to be having a problem. Trying some different settings during the rip to see if it solves the problem as you mention...i'll let you know!

Thanks for the insight!
kensmith007

Post by kensmith007 »

dcoke22,

So I re-ripped unchecking the DD sound options, and no audio at all. I tried only selected the DTS...still a no go. DTS-HD which is what I thought the issue was and not that either.

Trying different options when ripping, but not having any luck thus far.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

kensmith007 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:09 pm
So I re-ripped unchecking the DD sound options, and no audio at all. I tried only selected the DTS...still a no go. DTS-HD which is what I thought the issue was and not that either.

Trying different options when ripping, but not having any luck thus far.
Can you make a screenshot of your MakeMKV window after you select the tracks you want to rip but before you start the rip? I'm curious what you're seeing & selecting.
OSUMatt

Post by OSUMatt »

I have the Harry Potter 8 movie Collection in Blu-Ray and had the same issue with no audio. As it turns out it was no the MKV file ripped by MakeMKV, but it was the video player used to play it. Make sure the Video player you have has all of the necessary codecs etc... I tried to play this Harry Potter - The Sorcerer's Stone using VLC Media Player and it works perfectly.
htpc_rookie

Post by htpc_rookie »

DTS seems or be unloved audio codec despite its high presence on discs.(LG did stop supporting DTS on some TVs - you can get round this by attaching your playback device to the soundbar if you have one). It can therefore be a hardware problem in the chain rather than just a matter of software.
During hdmi handshaking most devices will check down the list of available soundtracks and pick the first track that both recognise.
I don’t like DTS only files and if I decide to compress it using Handbrake I take the opportunity to add an audio channel that converts the primary channel to AC3. I hadn’t thought that the offered alternate AC3 track would be like this, so I’ve missed this on my backup. I’ve learnt something.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In the Ye Olden Days of DVD, DTS had the potential to be of noticeably higher fidelity than Dolby Digital AC-3.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS_(company)#Comparison_with_Dolby_Digital

The short, short version is the total bitrate of DTS was capped at a much higher level than AC-3. And in cinemas at the time, DTS audio was stored on a CD-ROM whereas AC-3 was part of the film itself and subject to damage as the film was replayed.

These days, I speculate that the cutthroat market for TVs means if a manufacturer can save a few pennies by NOT licensing a DTS decoder, that's often the decision they make. It is unfortunate because on a lot of older DVDs and blu-rays, the DTS audio is probably the highest fidelity choice on the disc. On newer stuff with one of the lossless formats, I'm not aware of any major differences in fidelity between the two. But if the disc only has DTS audio and your AV gear doesn't have a DTS decoder, you're still stuck.